Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Internet Question--HELP

Author Topic: Internet Question--HELP
srhowen
Member # 462

- posted      Profile for srhowen   Email srhowen         Edit/Delete Post 
OK, I am getting DSL. The trouble is my current ISP--MSN 8.

I cannot export my favorites. The option does not exsist in MSN 8. (no it is not the same as Internet Explorer) IN favorites in MSN 8 it will not let you print the pages, copy and paste, or export--period. In other words I will lose 250+ bookmarked research ect sites.

I have tried to find where MSN stashed the favorites folder for MSN 8 no luck. I have tried searching and nothing---

Does anyone know where MSN 8 and XP stash this folder?

Any ideas other than having two windows open one MSN and one Internet explorer--then going to the pages in MSN then cut and paste the addy into Internet Explorer--then save as favorite in IE?

and no the same favorites are not listed in both. Grrrrrrrrr.

Shawn

Posts: 1019 | Registered: Apr 2000  | Report this post to a Moderator
JP Carney
Member # 894

- posted      Profile for JP Carney   Email JP Carney         Edit/Delete Post 
Shawn, question for you:

Is MSN8 a separate program, like Internet Explorer or Netscape? Or is it just a place on the web that you access all of your personal information (via IE?)

If it's not a program that you installed, that you use to access the web, then it's possible that these files are saved in the ether somewhere, some place you can't get to.

If it's a program that you use to access the web, like IE or N, then it's likely that these files exist on your PC; perhaps somewhere in the C:/Program File/MSN8 directory or maybe even C:/Windows/MSN8 or something like that.

Also, if it's a program you installed on your PC, and the files exist on it somewhere, and you're using XP, then you might want to check C:/Documents and Settings/All Users or /Shawn or /Whatever-your-main-user-is-called and check for something like the "Favorites" folder you should see there. An example:

MY IE Favorites are located at - C:/Documents and Settings/Justin/Favorites

It's possible, then, that if the files are stored locally, they could be in something like - C:/Documents and Settings/Shawn/MSN8 or C:/Documents and Settings/All Users/MSN8 (or something like that).

Hope that helps.

JP

Posts: 151 | Registered: Feb 2001  | Report this post to a Moderator
srhowen
Member # 462

MSN 8 is a ISP browser like Internet Explorer---been there done that with documents and settings. There are several favorites folders, two empty, one is the Internet Explorer favorites.

This is one of those things that can make a person bang their head into a wall.

Add to that my car is in the shop and they stil have not called to tell me it is done, my daughters monitor blew--and whine whine whine--ugh I do not like to be negative nelly.

Shawn

JP Carney
Member # 894

- posted      Profile for JP Carney   Email JP Carney         Edit/Delete Post 
What about looking around the actual Program File directory for MSN8? Could be that it's a file kept in the program file. If you find some possible candidate files that might be your MSN8 favorites, you might want to try opening them in either WordPad or Excel. A) they may be your best bet for viewing the files, as they may be something funky format, and WordPad and Excel sometimes handle funky pretty well. B) they may also be your best bet for transfering the files to IE, because even if you find them, you have to get them in such a way as they can be imported into IE.

Just a couple more thoughts. Hope they help.

JP

Posts: 151 | Registered: Feb 2001  | Report this post to a Moderator
teddyrux
Member # 1595

- posted      Profile for teddyrux           Edit/Delete Post 
Have you tried contacting MSN?
Posts: 198 | Registered: Feb 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
srhowen
Member # 462

MSN does not help you with any thing that is not on their agenda. Yes I contacted them and they ignored my question--I asked about file location ect I got the run around.
teddyrux
Member # 1595

- posted      Profile for teddyrux           Edit/Delete Post 
You may have to set your view options first. Go to the Control Panel. Select Folder Options. Click the view tab. Click "Show hidden files and folders."

On Xp the IE favorites are under C:\Documents and Settings\%username%\Favorites Replace %username% with your username on the pc.

Also Microsoft has the habit of hiding files. You might want to look here also.
C:\Documents and Settings\%username%\Local Settings\Application Data\Identities\
There should be a directory whose name makes no sense. This is where the Outlook Express data is kept. Your MSN8 Favorites might be there.
I'll keep looking to see what I can find.

Posts: 198 | Registered: Feb 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
srhowen
Member # 462

I found them--good grief. Under MSN 6 user data. The it is in a file, not a folder. Favorites.xml.

I will still have to cut and paste them into IE---but at least I will not lose them.

And i can do the cut and paste that will make it easier.

Thanks for the help, though.

Shawn

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.