Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Research question: Romanian superstititions

Author Topic: Research question: Romanian superstititions
SiliGurl
Member # 922

- posted      Profile for SiliGurl   Email SiliGurl         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm running into a brick wall... I'm valiantly searching the web for information on Romanian superstitions/folk lore etc that would have been prevelant during the 15th century. But I'm finding nothing but dead ends. I'm not so much looking for books as I am internet resources.

Thought I would see if anyone here has some helpful links or suggestions to try.

Thanks!

Posts: 306 | Registered: Feb 2001  | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 1353

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
While not exactly Romania, you might try here for some Eastern Russian mythology. . .

http://www.pantheon.org/areas/mythology/europe/latvian/articles.html

Posts: 128 | Registered: Jan 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
PaganQuaker
Member # 1205

- posted      Profile for PaganQuaker   Email PaganQuaker         Edit/Delete Post 
Hi,

Also, maybe it's helpful for me to mention present-day Romania doesn't reflect historical borders. For instance, I believe it was in World War I that Transylvania was taken from Hungary and given to Romania. (I haven't double-checked that, but I think it's so.)

Luc

Posts: 380 | Registered: Jul 2001  | Report this post to a Moderator
Liz
Member # 1594

- posted      Profile for Liz   Email Liz         Edit/Delete Post 
Instead of looking to a more generic eastern European mythos, check out the Huns and Magyars. And Goths, perhaps.
Liz

Posts: 22 | Registered: Feb 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
cvgurau
Member # 1345

- posted      Profile for cvgurau   Email cvgurau         Edit/Delete Post 
Being Romanian, you'd think I know this, but...*shrug*. I moved here when I was 5. Still, I could ask a few family members, who know a lot more than I do...see what I could find out.

Chris.

PS--Many Romanians are devout Christians, and so believe that God is the cause of everything, good or bad. It's been that way for a pretty long time, but during the 15th century? I'm not sure.

Hope that helps (though it probably doesn't.)

PPS--Why do you need it, if I may ask?

[This message has been edited by cvgurau (edited March 29, 2003).]

Posts: 552 | Registered: Jan 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
SiliGurl
Member # 922

- posted      Profile for SiliGurl   Email SiliGurl         Edit/Delete Post 
Chris, don't mind you asking at all! I got a snippet of a short story scene but I wanted it to be kind of factually based in 15th century Romania. WHICH is not 100% accurate; I should say that it would be based in 15th C Wallachia or Moldavia (pardon any misspellings).

I don't even remotely have a plot or theme for this short story-- just a scene that popped into my head. I thought I would research the folklore/superstitions of the area for ideas... and never realized how freakin' difficult it would be! I found nothing!

I mean, loads of stuff on vampires and the Romanian equivalent of them... and I could bore your ears off with info on the Strigoi (again, forgive misspelling if any). But I WASN'T looking for a vampire story.

And the 15th Century part is key... I was kind of hoping to set it-- whatever the story IT will be-- against the backdrop of Vlad Tepes reign (well, his 2nd reign).

Again, all suggestions are appreciated...

[This message has been edited by SiliGurl (edited March 29, 2003).]

Posts: 306 | Registered: Feb 2001  | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.