Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Submitting and Waiting

Author Topic: Submitting and Waiting
Heresy
Member # 1629

- posted      Profile for Heresy   Email Heresy         Edit/Delete Post 
Hi, I just found this forum, and I'm really enjoying it. It's nice to be around people in often the same situation as me.

Anyway, I've submitted my first novel ever, or at least the 3 chapters and synopsis they want, and I'm waiting to hear back. I'm finding this rather nerve-wracking, and a bit disheartening in some ways. I'm trying to keep from getting my hopes up, partly by referring to it as waiting for my first rejection letter, but I also need to keep my hopes from sitting on the floor entirely. I like my book, as have the couple of friends that read it. I think it's good, but on the other hand, I understand that most writers get rejected on their first attempts. I'm finding that trying to find that balance between being hopeful and realistic is elusive.

Anyone have any words of wisdom that might help me through this time?

Heresy

Posts: 293 | Registered: Apr 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Phanto
Member # 1619

- posted      Profile for Phanto   Email Phanto         Edit/Delete Post 
Firstly:

I would go with what card advised -- send it to several companies at once. If one agrees to buy it don't send it to others -- but until then feel free to splurge it around the net.

What I would do, (I haven't actually finished my book ) would be
a) pat myself on the back -- congratulations I finished a book!
b) relax and think for a day about my next book
c) get to work on it.

Only by constantly working are you buffered from failure. Oh, that wasn't good enough, but this will be!

Posts: 697 | Registered: Mar 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Tangent
Member # 1191

- posted      Profile for Tangent   Email Tangent         Edit/Delete Post 
Do NOT post the story on a web-site! That constitutes self-publishing and is basically the deathknell of any publication attempt unless you are *really* good. Publishing companies want first printing rights to a story.

Meanwhile... all you can do is wait. Sorry. Good luck to you though.

Robert A. Howard

Posts: 33 | Registered: Jun 2001  | Report this post to a Moderator
Phanto
Member # 1619

- posted      Profile for Phanto   Email Phanto         Edit/Delete Post 
Damn, mistype.
Freud would have a lot to say about my inner sexuality . I did not mean to say post it on the net. I meant that you should send it to many publishers until you agree to sell it to one, than you stop. Don't negotitate prices with two people at once unless you have an agent. (There are excepetions of course)

Please forgive me for giving you horrible advice, albiet by accident.

[This message has been edited by Phanto (edited April 10, 2003).]

Posts: 697 | Registered: Mar 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
srhowen
Member # 462

- posted      Profile for srhowen   Email srhowen         Edit/Delete Post 
I've done both--the blitz approach, and the one at a time—and an in-between one.

One at a time will take forever. Some publishers, agents can take months to respond. You could be old and gray by the time you hear. This one is no good at all—as far as I am concerned. Your nerves will be raw waiting for that one letter.

The middle one, and one that works well is to send out 10 queries at a time. Prepare ten others set those aside. As soon as you get one letter—(and you will know it is a rejection if it is your self addressed big brown envelope coming back at you)(unless you used a regular biz sized for return reply)—you go to your stack of ready subs and mail one. Then open the letter. This way you still have ten out there. Do the same every time. If you open the letter and they want more material fine. The chances two places will want additional material is rare. Want to save some money—look for publishers or agents that only want a query letter—not sample material. The use a biz sized envelope for your SASE. Use a biz sized SASE even with sample material.

The blitz approach. I don’t recommend this to a person subbing for the first time. It HURTS~!!!!!!! You find at least 25 agents or publishers that look promising and send to all of them. Then 5-10 days later do 25 more, and so on. Why does this hurt? Because you will get 10 rejections in one day sometimes. Whew—talk about a blow. But it does cover a lot of ground. Another disadvantage is that you can’t learn form your errors. With the middle ground, you can look over say five rejections and think—ok I need to do something else with my synopsis, or my query. Once you’ve blitzed, you lose that chance.

I did this with my novel “Medicine Man”. I sent out 3 sets of 20. UGH—got tons of rejections and some requests for more. (I averaged about 1 in 7 asking for more material). I got a couple of offers of representation. (turned them down)(the agencies had bad reps or they had no sales I could find and were not willing to share a client list with me. )(also discovered some scams out there) I’d told myself I would stop at 60 and then think about a rewrite of the synop, cover letter or the book. I gave it one more shot with 10 more queries. The cheap kind. Two page letter, biz SASE. I landed an agent among those last ten. The Zack Company

So you never know.

But don’t do it one at a time.

Good Luck!

Shawn

Posts: 1019 | Registered: Apr 2000  | Report this post to a Moderator
Rahl22
Member # 1411

- posted      Profile for Rahl22   Email Rahl22         Edit/Delete Post 
I haven't really checked up on submitting novel length work, but isn't it considered a simultaneous submission if you sending sample chapters to different publishers? Or does that only apply with full manuscripts?
Posts: 1621 | Registered: Apr 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
srhowen
Member # 462

- posted      Profile for srhowen   Email srhowen         Edit/Delete Post 
Many publishers agents do say no simultaneous submissions---but a query letter is not the same as a submission. You are simply asking them if they would like to see more. Even sample chapters are only there for their consideration--would they like to see more.

And once you do the research---you will find that many places do not have the line about no simultaneous subs any longer.

Some agents and publishers will ask for you not to send to anyone else while they have the material(full manuscript or partial) -- honor that. But if they don't say it, mass send.

So many writers get caught up in the what if more than one wants to publish it? Then what? Be honest with yourself---that is so rare I doubt you have to worry. And if they do, then choose the best deal. If more than one agent offers to rep you, choose the best one based on research.

Shawn

Posts: 1019 | Registered: Apr 2000  | Report this post to a Moderator
Heresy
Member # 1629

- posted      Profile for Heresy   Email Heresy         Edit/Delete Post 
well, the waiting part is over at least. I have officially begun my collection of rejection letters.

somehow, that just isn't as exciting as it sounds though. :P

Posts: 293 | Registered: Apr 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.