Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Visualizing stories

Author Topic: Visualizing stories
Tangent
Member # 1191

- posted      Profile for Tangent   Email Tangent         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm curious how many writers here visualize scenes in their heads, play it out a few different ways, before writing it down. I find sometimes when I'm stuck with a scene I just need to "see" it in my head and play with it a few times, almost like a movie, until I get it right.

Of course, I also have an extremely vivid imagination that sometimes gets the better of me, so...

Robert A. Howard

Posts: 33 | Registered: Jun 2001  | Report this post to a Moderator
srhowen
Member # 462

- posted      Profile for srhowen   Email srhowen         Edit/Delete Post 
I often write out a scene several different ways before I keep it. I also repeat info in many places through out the story in the first draft--just to see where it fits the story best.

Shawn

Posts: 1019 | Registered: Apr 2000  | Report this post to a Moderator
Doc Brown
Member # 1118

- posted      Profile for Doc Brown   Email Doc Brown         Edit/Delete Post 
Confession time: my current book contains a dogfight scene between supersonic fighters. I never had trouble visualizing it, but every time I wrote what I visualized I found myself doubting my imagination. Would a plane at speed X really be able to climb to altitude Y in Z seconds? If planes A and B were at different speeds they both executed a 5G turn, how much faster would plane A be turned around? What would the pilot of plane B see?

I wanted every detail to be absolutely perfect.

I actually got out a bunch of toy airplanes, some slotcar track, and other toy vehicles. I set up a miniature of my battlefield that filled a 20' x 25' room. I worked out time and distance scales and started moving my planes around. It was very revealing.

Posts: 976 | Registered: May 2001  | Report this post to a Moderator
nellievrolyk
Member # 1616

- posted      Profile for nellievrolyk   Email nellievrolyk         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm another person with a very active imagination. I not only visualize scenes in my head, but I become a part of them. So I look at each scene from different angles from an outside view point. And I look at each scene from various angles from an inside view point. Then I choose whatever view point fits the story best.
Posts: 55 | Registered: Mar 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Kolona
Member # 1438

- posted      Profile for Kolona   Email Kolona         Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe a case can be made for when you visualize a scene. I've visualized scenes ahead of time and written them; other times I write without knowing where I'm going, but even then I'm visualizing as I go along. Would it really be possible to write without visualizing?
Posts: 1810 | Registered: Jun 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
cvgurau
Member # 1345

- posted      Profile for cvgurau   Email cvgurau         Edit/Delete Post 
For me, writing's become kind of like reading: I hardly ever see the words anymore. Instead, it's like watching a movie in my head, only I control the outcome. I also have a very active imagination, so it's usually a pretty interesting movie. Too bad the novel never comes out as interesting. At least...almost never. Okay, sometimes.

Chris

Posts: 552 | Registered: Jan 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

- posted      Profile for Survivor   Email Survivor         Edit/Delete Post 
Obviously all writers must conceptualize before writing, otherwise they end up writing things that just don't make any sense. When you are going to describe physical events and objects, that conceptualization will probably be visualization (for those of us that predominantly experience the world through sight).

Some blind authors probably don't visualize, but then again, if they write from their own experience, the action of the story probably won't require visualization For the rest of us...well, we might write some pretty silly things if we didn't visualize our action before writing it.

Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  | Report this post to a Moderator
Tangent
Member # 1191

- posted      Profile for Tangent   Email Tangent         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, the thing is, I'm not other writers. I'm myself. <grin> And as such, I don't *know* how other fiction writers go about writing. (I do know from taking courses in Journalism and Technical Writing that you don't go visualizing what you're writing in that case, or you'll quickly go insane with boredom. <wink> At least, not visualize in the sense that I was talking about.)

It's also nice to know that I'm not the only one with an exceedingly vivid imagination. To the point that I can (without closing my eyes anymore) play in my head how a bone will break and still be able to type it up in here. Sometimes the imagination gets *too* intense. <sigh>

Robert A. Howard

Posts: 33 | Registered: Jun 2001  | Report this post to a Moderator
Cosmi
Member # 1252

- posted      Profile for Cosmi   Email Cosmi         Edit/Delete Post 
hmm. lately i haven't been pre-visualizing hardly at all. i know what i want to develop from a scene--a concept, a character, a mood, etc.--and then i just write. this style helped get me out of a serious case of writer's block recently. before, i would have thought out (but definitely not written--novel outlines scare me) the local of a scene before i wrote it. i just started a new scene in my baby (the one that saved me from my writer's block) that starts with a guy repairing his roof. i never would have done that if i had "pre-thought" the scene. yet there he was: the main character looks down from his roof to find the protagonist in his driveway. just standing there. made me happy.

TTFN & lol

Cosmi

Posts: 160 | Registered: Aug 2001  | Report this post to a Moderator
kwsni
Member # 970

- posted      Profile for kwsni   Email kwsni         Edit/Delete Post 
WHen I'm writing, and it's going well, I can watch the story like a movie, only the story is chopped up, like someone's cut up the film, and spliced all the different scenes in the wrong order. The problem comes when I try to put that movie on paper, in the right order.

The last story I wrote, I worte down all the scenes as they came, thinking i'd figure them out later. Didn't work.

The one I'm working on now, I'm writing them in order. This is wroking better, since i can keep things consistent.

Ni!

Posts: 177 | Registered: Mar 2001  | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.