Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Japanese Anime: How to Sell an Idea?

Author Topic: Japanese Anime: How to Sell an Idea?
Mohan2002
Member # 1637

- posted      Profile for Mohan2002   Email Mohan2002         Edit/Delete Post 
I know this might be an odd question, but I'd like to learn how to option a novel idea that I have to a Japanese anime company. I'm a bit at a loss where to begin and wanted to know if anyone might have any suggestions on who I could contact to learn more about this?

I've not seen any information in my Short Story & Novel Writer's Market and on contacting a major anime company I was given the company line: "Sorry, we can't take any of your ideas. Please don't even send us your idea due to possible legal problems if you try to sue us in the future for us creating an anime similar to your idea."

I'd appreciate any help.

Posts: 2 | Registered: Apr 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Penboy_np
Member # 1615

- posted      Profile for Penboy_np   Email Penboy_np         Edit/Delete Post 
I can't remember where I read it and I think it was even about drawing anime, but basically what it said was that its next to impossible to try and go with an idea to a Japan based company.

It suggested taking art (or applicable to this post, ideas) to American companies that make japanese style movies/art.

That's about all I know about anime, I hate it with a firey passion of a thousand suns.

Posts: 42 | Registered: Mar 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Chronicles_of_Empire
Member # 1431

- posted      Profile for Chronicles_of_Empire   Email Chronicles_of_Empire         Edit/Delete Post 

Mohan2002

By "novel idea" do you mean you simply have an idea for a story in some format?? If so then please note that no one buys "ideas", and they certainly cannot be copyrighted.

If you have ink and pen drawings and a script, then you have something saleable, but it's still going to be a climb, unless you personally know any major people in the business.

Posts: 286 | Registered: Jun 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
Mohan2002
Member # 1637

- posted      Profile for Mohan2002   Email Mohan2002         Edit/Delete Post 
I have a novel that I have written and I'd like for the novel to be turned into an anime. Essentially, if you write a movie script, the script is optioned to different movie companies.

I have the "idea" but not the artwork. I was curious as to whether it were possible to sell the novel, option it for a Japan anime, and work with a company to have them produce the novel as an anime.

I would think this would be next to impossible, but I wanted to ask.

Posts: 2 | Registered: Apr 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

- posted      Profile for Survivor   Email Survivor         Edit/Delete Post 
Unless your novel is a big enough success in its own right to be a major selling point for a movie (i.e. people will go see the movie because they loved the book) then you have nothing. If the novel sells, then the movie people will come to you. If not, then they want to stay as far from your work as possible.
Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.