Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Interjecting comments

Author Topic: Interjecting comments
nellievrolyk
Member # 1616

- posted      Profile for nellievrolyk   Email nellievrolyk         Edit/Delete Post 
I have two characters, let's call them A and B for convenience, who are together telling a story to a third character C. Now both A and B take turns relating their parts of the story in first person.

What I want to do is interject comments from B when A is telling his part and vice versa. Is that at all possible? And if so, what is the best way to do it?

Posts: 55 | Registered: Mar 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Rahl22
Member # 1411

- posted      Profile for Rahl22   Email Rahl22         Edit/Delete Post 
Of course it's possible. I'd consider using ellipses.

Oh, and who said naming your characters A, B, and C was convenient?? I found it down-right confusing

Posts: 1621 | Registered: Apr 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
Balthasar
Member # 5399

- posted      Profile for Balthasar   Email Balthasar         Edit/Delete Post 
I think you're treading on thin ice, but if you do it properly you won't fall in. When people speak, they mumble, they say "umm" and "ah," they pause to swallow, they cough, etc. Unless those things are essential to the story, the writer doesn't include them.

In real life, people interrupt others when they're telling a story. When authors try to imitate this, I find it annoying. I don't want to read all these interruptions, I want to hear the character's story. (This is one of the reasons I didn't finish "A Martian Odyssey" by Stanley G. Weinbaum.) Here is one instance where the art of fiction shouldn't reflect reality.

HOWEVER, if these interruptions or interjections are essential to telling us something, the reader, something about the characters -- if these interruptions have a direct impact on the story itself -- you can and should include them.

In fact, you might want to compare two stories in which the author has one of the characters tell a story. Read the one I mentioned above (which you can find in THE SCIENCE FICTION HALL OF FAME, VOLUME I), and the other is by Theodore Sturgeon called "The Touch of Your Hand," which as a long monologue toward the end of the story with little or no interruptions. (You can find the Sturgeon story in A TOUCH OF STRANGE.)

Hope this helps.

PS -- Of course you can just write what you want to, put it aside for a while, and then see if it works when you re-read it. Come to think of it, that's probably the best way.

[This message has been edited by Balthasar (edited May 26, 2003).]

Posts: 130 | Registered: Apr 2007  | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd recommend that you use dashes (typed as double hyphens) to show interruptions, not ellipses.

A said, "There was this girl, see--"

"--yeah! She was really something, man--"

"--right, and she was watching us as we got out of the car--"

"--she was watching me, A. You always think the girls are watching you."

A punched B in the shoulder. "Sure she was. And you're the one she started talking to first, huh?" He turned to C again. "She asked me if I knew the way to San Jose--"

"--as if you know the way to anything but the video arcade, man!"

And so on.

By the way, I have to agree with Balthasar. This kind of thing can be very annoying, so use it sparingly. Less is more, a little goes a long way, and so on.

Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  | Report this post to a Moderator
nellievrolyk
Member # 1616

- posted      Profile for nellievrolyk   Email nellievrolyk         Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you Rahl22, Balthasar, and Kathleen.

I do plan to use the interjections/interruptions very sparingly and just needed to know how to add them in. Now I know.

Posts: 55 | Registered: Mar 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
srhowen
Member # 462

- posted      Profile for srhowen   Email srhowen         Edit/Delete Post 
as Kathleen said less is more, and like a certian way of speaking if you do it right, then the reader starts to "see" the interruptions ect. even if you group the other person's comments together.

Shawn

Posts: 1019 | Registered: Apr 2000  | Report this post to a Moderator
Narvi
Member # 1376

- posted      Profile for Narvi   Email Narvi         Edit/Delete Post 
One other trick that works well is to seperate the straight story from the discussion. Maybe alternate chapters (or whatever length is appropriate) and put at the top of the uninterrupted ones <character>'s story.... Those passages then don't need quotation marks and the only thing there shuold be the story. In the other chapters the listeners move around, tend the fire, check to see that the hyperspace portal isn't open yet, or whatever, and the tellers interrupt eachother all they want.

Only you know if this will work for your story, but it's worth a try.

Posts: 66 | Registered: Feb 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
Doc Brown
Member # 1118

- posted      Profile for Doc Brown   Email Doc Brown         Edit/Delete Post 
It's always hard on readers when more than two people are involved in a conversation. When this happens, it's best to make two people dominant and all others subordinate.

It's easy to write a conversation in which three or four characters play equal roles. But it's a pain in the neck to read it!

This is only the case with prose. Stage plays, movies, TV shows, comic books, radio shows, and just about anything else can have limitless characters play equal parts in any conversation. But the wiring of the human mind seems to place this barrier on written stories. The limitation isn't in your writing, it's in the reader's brain.

Posts: 976 | Registered: May 2001  | Report this post to a Moderator
Narvi
Member # 1376

- posted      Profile for Narvi   Email Narvi         Edit/Delete Post 
There's a trick for multi-way conversations too -- make each character sound different. If this comes from the content of your story, then great, you're done. If not, give each one a style or accent. Be careful not to overdo it -- you don't want to require effort from your readers. Just turn 's's into 'th's or use Elizabethan terms of address. Check Terry Pratchett's _The_Fifth_Elephant_ for a good example of this.
Posts: 66 | Registered: Feb 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
FlyingCow
Member # 1198

- posted      Profile for FlyingCow   Email FlyingCow         Edit/Delete Post 
While this may not be the best idea for submissions, you could always have the two characters speak in different fonts. Keith Olberman and Dan Patrick used this pretty effectivelin in their book The Big Show about SportsCenter, and I used it when I co-wrote a memoir with a friend of mine.

If the fonts are distinctive, it's easy to tell who is speaking when, without other grammatical tricks. Obviously, the styles would also have to be noticeably different (Though when two people are actually writing, that ends up happening anyway).

Posts: 231 | Registered: Jul 2001  | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.