Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Agents

Author Topic: Agents
Kolona
Member # 1438

- posted      Profile for Kolona   Email Kolona         Edit/Delete Post 
This might be a question for Kathleen.

Doing my homework on agents and was checking out the books one agency is representing. The agency lists the status of the rights involved on the books. I got about halfway down the list and only one book had the author's name listed after the rights. A number of books had publishers listed, but the greater majority of books had the agency listed. Do agencies buy/hold rights from the author, or am I reading this wrong? Is this something to watch for in contracts?

Posts: 1810 | Registered: Jun 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
First of all, if you want to know what to watch for in contracts, you should go to the website of the Science Fiction and Fantasy Writers of America

http://www.sfwa.org

and see what they have on contracts. They provide "model" contracts that every writer should print out to compare to the contracts they may receive from potential publishers or agents.

Second, unless you specifically sell a right (in a contract--so yes, you should pay attention to how the contract is worded), all you are doing is licensing the right.

If you don't want to SELL your rights, you ought to make sure that every contract you sign has a reversion clause (which states that all rights revert to the author at some specific point in time).

Third, I'm not sure why the agent would be listing the rights as if the agent owns them. So far as I know, agents don't hold any rights to an author's work, ever. A publisher may hold the rights they are licensing from the author, but I don't know why an agent would need to hold any rights.

I'd be sure to ask lots of questions before agreeing to go with such an agent.

I hope this helps.

Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  | Report this post to a Moderator
Chronicles_of_Empire
Member # 1431

- posted      Profile for Chronicles_of_Empire   Email Chronicles_of_Empire         Edit/Delete Post 
I think in this instance perhaps there's a distinction involved between the concepts of

1 - copyright
2 - publishing (distribution) rights

Obviously, any decent agent will not dare threaten the author's copyright and right to be identified as the author of the work.

However, distributions rights is exactly that, and that is precisely what authors are offering for sale to agents. You never sell a manuscript - you sell the rights to distributing the manuscript, which the agents get paid for by selling those publishing rights to a publishing company.

Agents will generally look to purchase domestic publishing rights - and possibly either targetted foreign markets or else worldwide rights in general. Depends on the work, the market, and the publishing company.

Posts: 286 | Registered: Jun 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
srhowen
Member # 462

- posted      Profile for srhowen   Email srhowen         Edit/Delete Post 
I think what you might be seeing is the rights being offered. If rights are already sold to a publisher then the publisher would be listed as already owning those rights. If the rights are still available then the agency would be listed, not because they own them, but because they are the rights still free.

I don't think you are going to find a publisher and still retain all your rights to the book.

Shawn

[This message has been edited by srhowen (edited June 17, 2003).]

Posts: 1019 | Registered: Apr 2000  | Report this post to a Moderator
srhowen
Member # 462

Just another note---agents don't purchase rights publishers do. The contract may state that they have the right to sell those rights but they do not own them.

If you look at my page at The Zack Company you will see the rights listed under my novel synop since Zack is handling those rights he is listed after them. Again he doesn't own those rights he is just my agent now taking on the duty of selling those rights.

http://www.zackcompany.com/titles/medicineman.htm

Shawn

Kolona
Member # 1438

- posted      Profile for Kolona   Email Kolona         Edit/Delete Post 
I would have thought that, but what is the difference with the book that had the author's name listed? As I said, "only one book had the author's name listed after the rights. A number of books had publishers listed, but the greater majority of books had the agency listed."

[This message has been edited by Kolona (edited June 18, 2003).]

[This message has been edited by Kolona (edited June 18, 2003).]

Posts: 1810 | Registered: Jun 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe it meant that the author had no agent.

If the listing is of whom to contact if you are interested in a particular right, then that would make sense because publishers may act as agents for an author with regard to such things as foreign rights or movie rights.

Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  | Report this post to a Moderator
srhowen
Member # 462

hmm---I thought about that. Maybe the book was self published before the agent? Or maybe the agent reps the author for some works but not others. No idea on that one.

Shawn

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.