Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » how much writing?

Author Topic: how much writing?
Christine
Member # 1646

- posted      Profile for Christine   Email Christine         Edit/Delete Post 
I've been hearing lately, from various sources, that serious writers should set a specific page goal every day (even including weekends). So, I was curious whether the people on this board do that? If so, how many pages, do you include weekends, and what constitutes a page for you?

I'll go first...I have started doing that for about the past month. I was setting a time goal, but time can be wasted whereas number of pages seems to work better, whether I can write those pages in an hour or five hours. I try to write 5 pages a day in between jobs (I work part time as a programmer/contractor) and 3 pages a day when I do have a job. I do not include weekends, though, because I'm afraid I'll burn out. Usually on Monday I'm refreshed and ready to go. A page for me is single spaced, Timew New Roman, 12 pt. font.

Anyone else?

Posts: 3567 | Registered: May 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Doc Brown
Member # 1118

- posted      Profile for Doc Brown   Email Doc Brown         Edit/Delete Post 
I recently set a goal for myself of 8,000 words per month. I have not tracked my progress very well so far, and I have no idea if this goal is reasonable or not. I'll keep you posted.
Posts: 976 | Registered: May 2001  | Report this post to a Moderator
srhowen
Member # 462

- posted      Profile for srhowen   Email srhowen         Edit/Delete Post 
I write everyday--my goal when writing rough draft is a 1,000 words a day. Almost everyday I write more than that.

When revising--my goal is 500 good revised words a day. This takes a lot longer than simply banging out the 1,000.

Shawn

Posts: 1019 | Registered: Apr 2000  | Report this post to a Moderator
nellievrolyk
Member # 1616

- posted      Profile for nellievrolyk   Email nellievrolyk         Edit/Delete Post 
I write every day and have set an over all goal of 5000 words a month. Sometimes I write as much as double that amount, and other times I don't even write half that. It depends on what I'm writing and how much other things in life intrude into my writing time.
Posts: 55 | Registered: Mar 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Balthasar
Member # 5399

- posted      Profile for Balthasar   Email Balthasar         Edit/Delete Post 
Once I start a story, I write a minimum of 4 pages a day until the story is finished. A page for me is Courier, font size 12, doubled-spaced, 1-inch margins (very easy on the eyes). Each pages holds about 240 words, so I guess my word count is 960-words per day. Sometimes those 4 pages come quickly (45 minutes has been the fastest) and sometimes they come slow (two and a half hours on day). On good days, I'll write more, sometimes 8 pages. On bad days, I write 4 and stop.

Right now, I only write short stories, and I take at least 1 day off in-between stories, but it's more like 2. Never more than 3, though. If I'm on day 4 and still don't have an idea or two, I just start writing and stop after 4 pages. I do this night after night until something clicks.

And yes, you are correct. Serious writers write at the same time every day and have a goal. But the goal is often different. Flannery O'Connor, for example, wrote from 9-12 every day except Sundays. Ernest Hemingway wrote from 7:30-1:30 every day, and Joseph Conrad wrote eight hours a day. Frederik Polh wrote 4 pages a day and Stephen King writes 2,000 words a day.

The key think is you have to get a system and stick with it. If you're a clock watcher, then write for a certain period of time and stop. If you're believe in production, set up a numerical goal--either pages or words.

One last item. I find it hard to believe writer's don't take time off. Stephen King has said that he does, in fact, take time off in-between novels, and I'm sure O'Connor, Hemingway, and Polh also took time off. What I'm trying to say is that you shouldn't feel bad about taking weekends off. If you're witing 4 pages a day, that's still 20 pages a week. The ultimate point of the rule that says serious writers write every day is that serious writers have consistent work habits.

[This message has been edited by Balthasar (edited June 12, 2003).]

Posts: 130 | Registered: Apr 2007  | Report this post to a Moderator
Balthasar
Member # 5399

"I only write when I am inspired. Fortunately I am inspired at 9 o'clock every morning." --William Faulkner
Christine
Member # 1646

That's a great quote, Balthasar, and it's so true. The fact is, when you set up a time and force yourself to start writing at that time every day, sooner or later you just don't have to force yourself anymore. I've gotten down my goal of writing a certain number of pages a day (which I *usually* stick to) but I still need to find an inspirational time for me. I think that would help not just the qunitity of my work, but also the quality.
Balthasar
Member # 5399

You're right--you have to sit down every day at the same time to write. If you don't, you'll end up not writing every day. When you're working a full-time job, or when you're a stay-at-home parent with two small children (like me), mostly likely you're not going to be writing when you're at your best. But you have to do it when you can if you want to succeed.

The commitment to write every day (which is really a commitment to stick to your writing schedule) is really what separates "the men from the boys," so to speak (I know, that's not PC, but I couldn't bring myself to make it inclusive--sorry!). Writing is a lot like being a musician or being an athlete. It's impossible to get really good if you don't practice or workout every day. Andre Segovia used to practice six hours a day, and that was when he was internationally known. And Tiger Woods works out the day after winning a tournament! And every successful writer writes daily.

Let's open this thread up a bit and discuss the second fundamental habit of writing--reading. From everything I've read by writers on writing, there are two fundamental rules for writing that come up repeatedly--without exception. Read a lot, write a lot. Different people will say different things about these habits, but without fail every professional writer agrees that these are the habits that must be cultivated if you want to succeed.

With that in mind, has anyone out there developed a reading habit? Do you just read what you want, or have you developed a reading plan?

I have a reading plan--nothing too rigid, but a plan nonetheless. The basic formula is this. I alternate between speculative novels and literature (the great authors of the past, e.g., Hemingway, Faulkner, Greene, Twain, Homer, O'Conner, etc.) When I read a speculative novel, I read literature short stories, and when I read a literary novel, I read speculative short stories.

My second rule is this: I'm working my way through all of the great speculative fiction I haven't read--i.e., all of the Hugo and Nebula award-winning novels, and all of the stories found in The Science Fiction Hall of Fame as well as the two Dangerous Visions anthologies. I also subscribe to The Magazine of Fantasy and Science Fiction and Asimov's and read every story in them.

It sounds like a lot, but it really doesn't feel like much. The more I read, the better I write. It seems that all those professional writers know what they're talking about.

[This message has been edited by Balthasar (edited June 12, 2003).]

Christine
Member # 1646

All right, we'll talk about reading.

Well, there's 2 parts to this, quantity of reading and type of reading. Personally, I'm reading less than I should right now. (2 reason, major life changes + I've just picked upa really long, slow series) In general, I like to read 1 novel a week and I'm going to start reading several short stories, although that's a new addition.

As to type of reading. Well, I have to admit, I'm not well read outside of science fiction and fantasy. To be honest, I haven't figured out why most classic literature has stood the test of time. I've liked some of it, but I've never loved any of it.

So, here's a question....what is important to read and why? Is it more important for me to read things that I enjoy so I can use them as examples of what I like? Or should I be reading things that are popular because everyone else thinks they're good and I should figure out why? (I'm not just talking classic literature...there are some scifi authors that people love and I abhor.) Or maybe a little of both? Any thoughts?

Balthasar
Member # 5399

I've been thinking a lot about these questions, and now I'm going to venture an answer.

1. WHY READ THE CLASSICS?

I'm going to arbitrarily say that a classic is anything written before 1900. Yes, I know, this will automatically cancel out many great literary figures -- Joyce, Hemingway, Faulkner, Greene, O'Connor, Waugh, etc. That's fine with me; I hope it's fine with you.

Reading the classics is what I like to call "literary formation." The fact that a certain piece of fiction have stood the test of time -- George Eliot's Middlemarch, for example -- means that it have the qualities of true fiction: a compelling story, intriguing people, moral and spiritual depth, a graceful writing style. Yes, there will be "classics" that you won't like, but one has to cultivate a taste for great literature. And to do that you have to read several authors. You may abhor Austen but adore Dickens; you may come to loathe Hawthorne but love Twain; you may find French literature commonplace and Russian literature compelling. That's fine. No one is saying you have to like every story every told. But serious writers read or have read these classics.

I'm looking at a list of Great Books, so here's a list of authors you should check out: Homer, Vergil, Horace, Dante, Chaucer, Cervantes, Spenser, Shakespeare, Milton, Moliere, Swift, Fielding, Sterne, Austen, Balzac, Hawthorne, Dickens, Eliot, Melville, Dostoevsky, Flaubert, Tolstoy, and Twain.

What about the literature written after 1900? The reason I left these writers out is because I don't know if they have really "stood the test of time." My personal favorites all happen to be Catholic novelists -- Evelyn Waugh, Graham Greene, Flannery O'Connor, Walker Percy, Jon Hassler. I'm also partial to James Joyce, Ernest Hemingway, and William Faulkner. My suggestion here would be to read the "big names," and if you don't like it, forget it. But I would seriously try to cultivate a taste for literature though reading the pre-1900 classics.

One last word -- the backbone of a classics reading list are the following:

• Homer, Iliad and Odyssey
  • Vergil, Aeneid
  • Dante, The Divine Comedy
  • John Milton, Paradise Lost
  • The Bible, the Pentateuch and Wisdom Literature of the OT, and the entire NT
  • William Shakespeare, Hamlet, Macbeth, Julius Caesar, Henry IV & V, A Midsummer Night’s Dream, Measure for Measure, Tempest, King Lear, Othello, Twelfth Night, As You Like It, Anthony and Cleopatra, Richard III.

2. WHICH SF/F TO READ?

Here, I'm going to repeat what OSC says because I think he's correct. If you want to write science fiction and fantasy, you need to read every story in both Science Fiction Hall of Fames, and every story in Dangerous Visions and Again, Dangerous Visions. These four anthologies will give you the backbone of the genre. The Science Fiction Hall of Fames will supply you with the greatest short fiction before Harlen Ellison brought about the New Wave when he published the Dangerous Visions anthologies. And the Dangerous Vision anthologies define the direction the genre has taken since late 1960's. There's about 30 stories in each one, so you should be able to read all four in five months.

Along these same lines, you need to read every Hugo and Nebula award winner. OSC didn't qualify if he meant novels, novellas, novelette, and short stories, or just novels. I took it to mean the novels, so that's what I'll preach. If you haven't read these novels, you won't know what has already been done, and you won't know what can be done.

What else? Again, I think OSC is correct in saying that you need to get a subscription to at least two of the following -- Analog, The Magazine of F+SF, or Asimov's. If you pick up a "year's best" anthology, you'll see that the majority of stories selected come from one of these three magazine. Interzone is another big one, but nothing like the other three.

If you're really into the medieval fantasy tradition -- sword and sorcery and heroic fantasy -- you're pretty much on your own. I would subscribe to both Black Gate and Realms of Fantasy, but as far as which novels to read, there's no set list I know of.

3. FINAL THOUGHTS

If you want to be a writer, you must read. If you want to be a good writer, you must read the greatest stories ever written. And if you want to be a good SF/F writer, you must read not only the best SF/F stories, but also the stories that have defined the genre. When you write SF/F, you are (un)consciously entering into a century-old conversation filled the ideas about science, religion, technology, the past, and the future. I know this is going to sound very academic, but you read the foundational SF/F stories not only to "study the market," but to also discover what has been said and what needs to be said.

[This message has been edited by Balthasar (edited June 22, 2003).]

Chronicles_of_Empire
Member # 1431

- posted      Profile for Chronicles_of_Empire   Email Chronicles_of_Empire         Edit/Delete Post 
I devoured the classics well enough - but my own problem has always been not being properly aware of writers in the sf/f gneres.

Any pointers on lists of books that are Nebula/Hugo awarded? Could be useful.

Posts: 286 | Registered: Jun 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
Earendil
Member # 1572

- posted      Profile for Earendil   Email Earendil         Edit/Delete Post 
During the quarter (UCLA's not on semesters), I shoot for 500 words/day at the very least.

Now that it's summer, though, I'm consistently hovering between 1000-1500 words.

And a comprehensive list of Nebula/Hugo winners can be found here: http://dpsinfo.com/awardweb/awardwebsitelist.html

There are also lists of pretty much every other major SF award as well.

Posts: 7 | Registered: Jan 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Christine
Member # 1646

What you say makes a lot of sense, Balthasar. I am slowly making my way through the list of hugo and nebula award winners, I'm about halfway through now.

As for the classics, I've read most of your list. I like Twain, Hawthorne was ok, and I understand what people liked about Shakespeare (although I didn't love it myself), but I couldn't spend half my reading life on these kinds of books.

You're right, there is a definite need to study and appreciate these authors whose works have stood the test of time. Especially if you want your work to be more than a here today, gone tomorrow, make a buck sort of novel. Then again, it's the studying that's important, not so much the simple reading. Let me see if I can be more clear. I read the Illiad and the Oddyssey when I was rather young. (Too young, to be honest, I need to reread them.) I didn't study them. I think the stories were compelling but I don't have a real sense of what made them great. This is no help.

Even if you don't like a book, studying it should reveal what everyone else thinks is so good about it. Reading just gets you through it so you can say you read it. It doesn't make you any better off than a person who never heard of the book. Also, through study, you can learn things about the times a novel was written in, whether it was appreciated in those times and why (or why not).

I think people read novels, they don't study them. It seems to me that most of the best novels of *today* are about the compallig story, not so much about morals, writing style, or depth of story or characterization. People would rather read an action packed spy thriller than something that forces them to look hard at their own souls. The greatest authors, in my opinion, manage to combine these things, but the classics have not always done so. I think this may be why a lot of classics were never truly appreciated in their own times. It takes real study to appreciate them, and a willingness to look hard at who we are as people. Sometimes they do not show us, as Star Trek loves to do, that we are great, highly evolved people. Sometimes the truth is not what we want to hear.

Sorry about the ramble, I hope this adds to the discussion.

Balthasar
Member # 5399

Chronicles -- A couple of months ago I posted all of the Nebula and Hugo award-winning novels on the writer's forum. I'll dig it up and repost it for you.

Christine -- Yes, you're correct: some authors need to be studied. Homer is a great example. But what I've found helpful isn't the study of individual works or authors per se, but the study of fiction in general. Some of the books I've found helpful are:

• Aristotle, Poetics
  • Flannery O'Connor, Mystery and Manners
  • John Gardner, On Moral Fiction, The Art of Fiction
  • E. M. Forster, Aspects of the Novel
  • Erich Auerbach, Mimesis
  • Wayne Booth, The Rhetoric of Fiction
  • Cleanth Brooks and Robert Penn Warren, Understanding Fiction
  • C. S. Lewis, An Experiment in Criticism, The Discarded Image

Unfortunately, I don't know of any good studies on the field of science fiction. I think David Hartwell has written one or two, but I'm not sure. Recommendations would be most appreciated.

As far as what readers want to read . . . well, I don't care what they want to read. I write what I would want to read, and that means trying to write well crafted science fiction and fantasy stories with elegant prose and deep characterization. And as far as trying to write what readers want to read, you can never anticipate what the Common Reader is going to like. Publishing companies were blown away by the success of Umberto Eco's The Name of the Rose in 1980, and I think people are equally stunned by the success some "literary" authors have seen after being endorsed by Oprah. (As a marketing study, see if John Steinbeck's sales suddenly surge now that Oprah has endorsed his East of Eden.)

[This message has been edited by Balthasar (edited June 22, 2003).]

GZ
Member # 1374

- posted      Profile for GZ   Email GZ         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Yes, there will be "classics" that you won't like, but one has to cultivate a taste for great literature. – Balthasar

I have always had a problem with this need to "Cultivate a taste" for something. Especially something that is subjective, like literature. You maybe able to come to appreciate elements of its form, to understand what other people like about it, but will it really ever "speak" to you? And I’m not sure, on a personal level, that a piece of literature that does not speak to you in some way can ever truly be great.

It’s something akin to listening to a piece of music, or looking a piece of art. When you come in contact with it, something just clicks. You don’t start to look at painting by analyzing the brush-stroke technique. Maybe later, and that may make you appreciate it, but in that initial moment of connection its about how it affects you. When it stirs something within, that’s where an individual finds greatness.

I will go ahead and admit that most classic literature I’ve read left me completely cold. There were those that I loved – Milton’s Paradise Lost, Faulkner’s Sound and the Furry, Hardy’s Return of the Native, for example -- but most I slogged though as though the pages were made of lead. Some, through contemplation, and class discussion, I could appreciate as being good, even if I didn’t like them (Fitzgerald’s Great Gadsby comes to mind). For many others, nothing ever redeemed the lost reading hours.

Nothing wrong with reading classics. Probably a good idea on several levels (Like being educated in the field). But knowing how I’ve reacted in the past to them, I’m not sure how much I would learn from them as a writer. So many times there was nothing I connected to that I want to figure out how to bring to my own writing. Why do I want to figure out how to write a story I don’t want to read? Because that’s the foremost goal of my writing. I want to write stories I want to read. Hopefully they speak to other people too, but I can’t really control that. I have no illusions that this plan will lead to any sort of traditional greatness, but being personally satisfied is enough for me to live with, and something I actual do have some control over.

[/soap box rant]

I think one thing that reading the classics, especially as Balthasar has defined them, is always going to bring you up short with, is what are the modern conventions of prose. They aren’t stagnate. POV styles have gone in and out of fashion. Pacing has changed. Usage of dialog and description varies. Reader expectations are simply different now. Only more current fiction is going to give you insight into that.

quote:
If you want to be a good writer, you must read the greatest stories ever written. – Balthasar

And you must read the worst. You can learn a great deal by seeing what not to do. It’s often a clearer example.

I think there is something to recommend reading whatever catches your interest. And that interest should be cast in as wide a range as possible. Read a bit of everything, to see what is out there. I’ve been trying to read more of the Nebula/Hugo winners, but I’ve also been picking up various other sorts of work across the reading spectrum. I’ve also got a pile of nonfiction for background work in my to-read stack.

quote:
If you're really into the medieval fantasy tradition -- sword and sorcery and heroic fantasy -- you're pretty much on your own. I would subscribe to both Black Gate and Realms of Fantasy, but as far as which novels to read, there's no list I know of. – Balthasar

Well, you can read the source material -- Beowolf and Gawin(sp?) and the Green Knight, Chaucer’s Canterbury Tales, the Chivalry Romances. Read the first chapter of Paradise Lost for the sheer drama of the description of the fallen angels. Look at the Greek and Roman epics, and their mythology. Celtic and British folklore. History of the era. All of that would create a great foundation for building something in the epic tradition. It would be great in looking at the scope of the plot, the sort of base characters traditionally involved, and the conventions that part of the fantasy field is built on.

More modern stuff – You’d probably better read Tolkein. And then Terry Brooks’s first Trilogy of Shannara, which came out marketed to build off Tolkein’s popularity. That would give a basis for where some of today’s stuff is growing out of. Then hopefully you will go off and do something totally different. (Sorry – I’m not a big fan of either of those recommendations, but they come up time and time again as measuring sticks. It’s part of that education thing. And then there are a lot of people that really like them.)

I’m not sure who would be a must-read of the rest of the popular authors (I could give opinions, but I don’t have much to back them up with beyond personal conviction). One I will mention, since it might not be obvious, is Frank Herbert’s Dune.

[This message has been edited by GZ (edited June 22, 2003).]

Posts: 652 | Registered: Feb 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
Christine
Member # 1646

quote:
As far as what readers want to read . . . well, I don't care what they want to read. I write what I would want to read, and that means trying to write well crafted science fiction and fantasy stories with elegant prose and deep characterization

I, too, write what I would want to read. There's no other possible way to write. This means 2 things to me. First, that I should read a wide variety of things to discover what it is that I like to read and make a study of what I liked about it. Second, that I shouldn't spend too much time trying to cultivate a taste for anything I don't like, because even if I come to appreciate it I'll never feel passionate about it.

There are amny examples of elegant writing styles out there. There are many examples of well done characterizations and plots. There are also many people who will never appreciate any of these things because their entire life teachers forced class literature down their throats and told them "this is good and if you don't think so you're not very bright." Probably not in those exact words but that's the message I received.

That last bit wasn't my point. Actually, my point was supposed to be that a person can find authors to read and styles to emmulate outside of the classics and be in excellent company.

Khyber
Member # 1651

- posted      Profile for Khyber   Email Khyber         Edit/Delete Post 
I guess everyone would have to write what they would want to read lest it come to look imitated. Ever since becoming moreso interested in writing, I find myself looking at the dynamics of the text I am reading, rather than simply imagining what the author is portraying to me.
Posts: 46 | Registered: May 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Earendil
Member # 1572

- posted      Profile for Earendil   Email Earendil         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah I think that kind of focused reading is pretty common among aspiring writers.

I read a lost of published writers and ask myself two questions (more or less): 1) What did they do that made the story publishable/successful? and 2) Can I do what they did?

Posts: 7 | Registered: Jan 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Balthasar
Member # 5399

Khyber and Earendil --

What you two are doing is not writing what people want to read, but studying the craft of fiction as you read. A perfectly acceptable and time-honored practice. In fact, I do this all the time, regardless of what I'm reading. I try to stay conscious of how a particular author uses a phrase, or makes a transition, or creates suspense, or character, or whatever. The only way you can learn how to write is by reading and then by imitating what you have read as you write. But this imitation is more an imitation of technique rather than trying to write fiction that you think people want to read.

When a writer makes the conscious effort to what people want to read -- and by this I mean, when a writer wants to write stories that make money -- the writer looks at the NY Times best-selling list and sees, say, John Grisham, and decides to write a lawyer-mystery-thriller; or the writer sees Stephen King and decides to write a Kingesque horror novel. That is how hacks or made.

So don't worry about trying to imitate the techniques you learn while reading successful writers. Just don't try to write an "in the tradition of . . ." novel.

Rahl22
Member # 1411

- posted      Profile for Rahl22   Email Rahl22         Edit/Delete Post 
Actually, I find that if you are really jumping in to the craft and technique of another writer, some of the subtle influences of that writer will appear in your work. It's up to you to find a good combination of these to use as your own style.
Posts: 1621 | Registered: Apr 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
Balthasar
Member # 5399

You bring up an excellent point. According to the writing books I’ve read, one of the best ways to learn how to write is by imitation. When you read Hemingway, imitate Hemingway. When you read Bradbury, imitate Bradbury. The more you write, the more these different styles will fuse and you’ll eventually develop your own style. This may take 500,000 words, it make take 1,000,000 words. Again, according to the writing books I’ve read, when you get there you’ll know it (don’t ask, I’m not there yet).

I think this is one of the best arguments for devoting a predetermined amount of time, or words, or pages, or stories, before one starts thinking about publication. This way, the writer is focusing on developing the craft without being self-conscious of what an editor will think of the story.

mags
Member # 1570

- posted      Profile for mags   Email mags         Edit/Delete Post 
The funny thing about Balthasar's comment is that I use to read an amazing amount of bodice rippers (for lack of a better name for them) and apparently it shows in my writing, with the way that the story melds together. However, a few months ago someone told me that my writing style reminded him of an author whose books I have never read, though I have met the author (and got a book which I gave to hubby who had problems getting through it and set it down somewhere).

Balthasar does however have a point in the fact that the more authors you read and the more you work at writing "like them" the more your style will meld with theirs and truly become your own.

I remember OSC making a comment about his writing style, and realizing that much of his style comes from the vast amounts that he had read the bible (my interpretation of what he said). - but it didn't even occur to him until after someone else pointed it out.

Posts: 142 | Registered: Jan 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Balthasar
Member # 5399

Mags just gave the best argument for why it is important for aspiring authors to read as widely as possible.
srhowen
Member # 462

- posted      Profile for srhowen   Email srhowen         Edit/Delete Post 
oh man, I started writing way back when, and at the time I read tons of Nancy Drew. When I finsihed my first novel years later---I had not done a lot of reading between times, someone said I wrote like the Nancy Drew books. (they were wrote by a gorup of authors under one name)

Now I ran the gauntlet of like other authors I read--but--I read mostly mysterys and I write alt-history.

Now i have my own style.

Shawn

Posts: 1019 | Registered: Apr 2000  | Report this post to a Moderator
Kolona
Member # 1438

- posted      Profile for Kolona   Email Kolona         Edit/Delete Post 
To clear the air about my heroine, Nancy Drew: Although there were several people who wrote the books (and still are), the original author was Mildred Wirt Benson, who died last year.

By all accounts, she wrote 23 of the first 30 Nancy Drew books, which I assume means those 30 were the older ones as opposed to the stuff being written today -- which in my biased opinion is a travesty. Nancy Drew should never have made the jump to modern times. <sigh>

Poor Mildred signed a contract for only $125 per book -- no royalties -- and agreed not to reveal her identity. The fact that she signed away the rights to the name, Carolyn Keene, to me suggests she was truly the original author, although I read that she was given brief outlines to write -- the rest of the books? -- by.

No matter. To me, Mildred will always be the Carolyn Keene.

Posts: 1810 | Registered: Jun 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.