Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Fantasy Thriller

Author Topic: Fantasy Thriller
Rahl22
Member # 1411

- posted      Profile for Rahl22   Email Rahl22         Edit/Delete Post 
Christine's "Original Ideas" thread made me wonder. I have been, for a while, churning over a novel idea in my head for a Fantasy Thriller. Basically, it's a mystery/suspense novel (leaning more towards thriller/adventure than mystery), but has sword and sorcery elements in it.

Is there an existing market for this? Breaking into a new genre is a daunting task, thus I'd appreciate it if you could give me a couple examples of where an author has done something similar to this already.

Posts: 1621 | Registered: Apr 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
Narvi
Member # 1376

- posted      Profile for Narvi   Email Narvi         Edit/Delete Post 
One caution that occurs to me: a mystery should play fair, and a lot of fantasy doesn't by that standard. If the characters know the laws of physics/magic, the reader should too, and quickly -- you can't just tweak the powers of magic according to the needs of the plot like most fantasy can.

Other than that, go for it!

P.S. it's been my experience that working cross-genre like that doubles the work -- you have to get both sides right, not half right, even though there are two of them.

Posts: 66 | Registered: Feb 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
Marianne
Member # 1546

- posted      Profile for Marianne   Email Marianne         Edit/Delete Post 
I am not so sure this is an unexplored genre. Many mysteries are set in a fantasy world. Some of the Disc World series are focused on the workings of the intrepid Vimes and his famous Watch. Dirk Gently stories were a cross between mystery and fantasy. I am surre I could come up with more if I had more coffee, but it is still early.

As far as bending the rules in a fantasy world, I believe that most readers will abandon a work if you 'tweak' the rules too much. Once you have established the rules that govern your world you need to stick to them and not bend them to suit your plot elements. Even if something 'thrilling' happens you had better be able to explain it.

I also do not believe that a fantasy work has to have elves, dragons and magic in it. There is a discussion going on right now that discusses the difference between Sci Fi and fantasy and some of the essential elements.

One of the seemingly up and coming 'new' genres is the Alternate History novels, which I think publishers consider as fantasy works. I have read a couple recently and really enjoy them. I think there is always room for a good story and you should not worry about what genre you fall into and just tell your story. Don't limit yourself. See where the story takes you. If you need to bend the rules, then change them...after all...it's your world.

Marianne

Posts: 173 | Registered: Dec 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
Chronicles_of_Empire
Member # 1431

- posted      Profile for Chronicles_of_Empire   Email Chronicles_of_Empire         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm sure I just read something recently, about how "courtroom intrigue" fantasy (think: political thrillers) are very much "in" at the moment. Sorry, no source.

I think the idea of the article was a reference to fantasy that changes emphasis from fighting ultimate evil to fighting human intrigues. I believe Martin's "Fire and Ice" was referred to in this group.

Posts: 286 | Registered: Jun 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
SiliGurl
Member # 922

- posted      Profile for SiliGurl   Email SiliGurl         Edit/Delete Post 
I think it would definitely work... I'd certainly read it if done well!

Posts: 306 | Registered: Feb 2001  | Report this post to a Moderator
srhowen
Member # 462

- posted      Profile for srhowen   Email srhowen         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, the alternate history novels are considered fantasy----

As far as cros genre goes--those are hard to sell esp on a first book.

Shawn

Posts: 1019 | Registered: Apr 2000  | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.