Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » "ing" vs "ed" - tense use issue?

Author Topic: "ing" vs "ed" - tense use issue?
Chronicles_of_Empire
Member # 1431

- posted      Profile for Chronicles_of_Empire   Email Chronicles_of_Empire         Edit/Delete Post 
While editing I suddenly realised there may be an overt tense usuage issue in my curernt work.

I desperately want to ensure this work breaks into the markets, so obviously I need to see whether this is a real issue that I should deal with right away.

Here's an example text:

"Lemarian stood staring with his mouth open"

now compare that to

"Lemarian stared with his mouth open"

My query - is one of the above more technically correct than the other?

I'm not sure whether I'm falling into a trap of present tense versus past tense.

Any comments appreciated.

Posts: 286 | Registered: Jun 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
Kolona
Member # 1438

- posted      Profile for Kolona   Email Kolona         Edit/Delete Post 
You're actually comparing apples and pomegranates. Each of your sample sentences has a different verb: stood in the first and stared in the second. What's confusing you is the verbal, staring, in this case a participle (as opposed to a gerund or infinitive), and a present participle at that (as opposed to a past participle), which is being used as an adverb (how did he stand?).

Uh oh. I just confused myself. What if the sentence read: “Staring, Lemarian stood with his mouth open.”? That could be describing Lemarian in open-mouthed splendor and thus be an adjective. No, I think it’s an adverb.

Anyway, to quote Pinckert: "Some words look like verbs, are made from verbs, have a couple of tenses, take subjects and objects like verbs, but really aren't verbs....They are...used as nouns, adjectives, and adverbs. They are verbals."

Your concern here, Brian, is how important is simply staring, without knowing if Lemarian is standing, sitting, or hiding in a tree -- you may have already stated his position or location in surrounding sentences and not want to repeat it.

My humble opinion, of course.

Posts: 1810 | Registered: Jun 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

- posted      Profile for Survivor   Email Survivor         Edit/Delete Post 
I think that the "with his mouth open" is a bit weak. Find some other way to say that (if it really needs to be said at all).

Which doesn't relate to the question, of course, but nothing does, now, does it? Any sentance might be acceptable (even syntactic monstrosities laced with offensive and derogatory language about your target audience sometimes "work"), depending on context, and we don't have that here.

Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  | Report this post to a Moderator
Chronicles_of_Empire
Member # 1431

- posted      Profile for Chronicles_of_Empire   Email Chronicles_of_Empire         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the comments, folks.

Not being a technical writer (I have absolutely no capacity for languages ) I suddenly wondered if I'd fallen into a newbie trap of writing in the wrong tense.

So long as no one's stating that I've slipped into passive voice, or raising present vs past tense usuage, then it sounds like I should be fine.

Thanks again.

[This message has been edited by Chronicles_of_Empire (edited June 24, 2003).]

Posts: 286 | Registered: Jun 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
mags
Member # 1570

- posted      Profile for mags   Email mags         Edit/Delete Post 
As far as passive tense, there really is a time and a place for it. If used in small doses, it can actually work well in ones story. It is those doses of page after page where it looks bad. - In what little we saw, it might not be an issue, but then again, we have no idea what the paragraphs around looked like.
Posts: 142 | Registered: Jan 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Bene_Gesserit
Member # 1675

- posted      Profile for Bene_Gesserit   Email Bene_Gesserit         Edit/Delete Post 
I cannot overstate how much I appreciate the comments of Kolona and others who understand parts of speech and how to talk about them.

I have myself experienced death by technicallity. While being technically correct is useful and necessary the question I ask myself when going over my own work at least in the beginning is, "Does it scan?"

I had great wisdom, but it didn’t matter.
I had a baby, pitter-patter.

So I played a little with what was written, I hope you don't mind.

"Lemarian stood staring with his mouth open"

"Lemarian stared with his mouth open"

"Eying critically the ground before him Lemarian's mouth opened and shut over his long nicotined teeth."

"Critically, intensely eying (fill in the blank) Lemarian's jaw quivered as it formed a perfect circle."

"A kisser so wide a bird could nest. Eyes like window fanlights."

[This message has been edited by Bene_Gesserit (edited July 17, 2003).]

Posts: 110 | Registered: Jul 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Kolona
Member # 1438

I appreciate the appreciation. I, too, find this site very helpful.

Love the pitter-patter couplet.

Yes, some fun would be nice. I need the diversion. I just broke my printer. <sob>

"A mouth so wide a Mack truck could park in it." (But did you hear about the new car that runs on peanut butter? It gets great gas mileage, but sticks to the roof of your garage.)

Kolona
Member # 1438

Since I'm grousing about my printer -- and this has nothing to do with that -- can anyone tell me what I may have done on this site that any print the size of the topic line is very hard to read? All the "Posted on" dates, "Email this page to a friend" and so on are almost undecipherable. It's beginning to bug me.
Bene_Gesserit
Member # 1675

- posted      Profile for Bene_Gesserit   Email Bene_Gesserit         Edit/Delete Post 
ANSWER, MAYBE: I don't know if you use PC or MAC but try the VIEW pulldown menu, click TEXT ZOOM, make sure you have the correct size checked (25%, 50%, Actual size etc.) Sometimes when we type quickly we hit two keys that in combination are a keycode signal to the computer. We didn't mean it and don't know what we have done.

YOU WRITE: any print the size of the topic line is very hard (for you) to read?

I ASK: "Any" print that is exactly the size of the topic line font size here is not hard to read. Do you mean that the usual size for the topic lines here are fine but now you are experiencing something different?

YOU WRITE: "Email this page to a friend" and so on are almost undecipherable.

I ASK: Undecipherable, as in the font size has suddenly decreased to below 8pt. or smaller making it impossible for you to read?

YOU WRITE: Did you change a setting while working on this site and then everything changed?

I ASK: You are asking "Do you", not "Did you" correct? If the question is "Did you," the answer is 'fraid not pookie. So, you want to know if any of us know how to change a setting or font size within this dialog message box?

Or, is the text on the main body of this website decreased? (e.g. ULTIMATE BULLETIN BOARD, or other source text) If this is true I would write Kathleen, the Moderator.

Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
We haven't done anything to the fonts here. I suspect it's as Bene Gesserit says, you've accidentally changed the font size in your browser.

If you're using Internet Explorer, pull down the VIEW menu and put your cursor over Text Size, and select a larger size than the one with the dot next to it. If nothing changes, then I don't know what to tell you.

Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  | Report this post to a Moderator
Kolona
Member # 1438

Okay. I went to my Word screen and did the Text Zoom thing. It's at 100%, 12 pt TNR. Seems okay to me. Don't see anything to adjust in AOL Preferences.

Yes, "the usual size for the topic lines here are fine but now" I am "experiencing something different."

Undecipherable, as in they look a little like hyroglyphics. They may be smaller than before, but the rest of the print seems okay -- which doesn't make any sense. Actually, whatever the size print for, for instance, the "Forgot your password?" above this message screen is hard to read.

I'm afraid the question was "Did you," but I see the same undecipherable problem on other sites, so I guess I can't blame Ultimate BB. This site, though, has a lot of that squiggly little print so I notice it more here.

And I can't even spell hieroglyphics.

Kolona
Member # 1438

Alright, Kathleen! I've never purposely used Internet Explorer before. It always asks if I want to make it my default browser and I always click "No," so I figured I didn't have it. Actually, I don't know who my default browser is. AOL, I guess??? Now I know what a browser is, I just don't know who it is. But I've never had trouble connecting with the Web, so I figured I'd leave well enough alone.

Anyway, I ignored the fact that I was saying "No" again to Internet Explorer, and proceeded to use the the View menu as you suggested-- I felt like one of those cable line pirates -- and Voila! I even jumped two notches. What a relief. Thank you. You, too, BG.

(What a shame. I can spell in French and even know where those little accent marks are supposed to go, but I can't spell hieroglyphics. Go figure.)

[This message has been edited by Kolona (edited July 17, 2003).]

[This message has been edited by Kolona (edited July 17, 2003).]

Kolona
Member # 1438

How about "a smile so wide the corners of her mouth met at the back of her head?"
Bene_Gesserit
Member # 1675

It is as I feared. One must say "yes" to the Evil Empire (Microsoft). Insistent little (fill in the blank) isn't it? Its secret behind-scene workings "allowing" and "not allowing". When we finally fall in line (I ignored the fact that I was saying "No" to Internet Explorer) we are thrown a scrap of happiness, Viola! Can you now say you have learned to love Big Bully? I trudge on working for the MAC resistance in Silicon Valley.
Kolona
Member # 1438

Actually, I thought I was stepping out of line.
Marianne
Member # 1546

- posted      Profile for Marianne   Email Marianne         Edit/Delete Post 
Kolona,
So glad you decided to conform Resistance is futile...

Posts: 173 | Registered: Dec 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
srhowen
Member # 462

- posted      Profile for srhowen   Email srhowen         Edit/Delete Post 
Back to the ing ed issue---it's not really a tense issue as it is more of a passive non-passive issue. And yes people are going to jumnp all over me for this one.

If you say was ing word the result is almost always passive voice. If you use the ed form of the word the sentence is almost always more active.

And if you think editors and agents don't noitce one or two---THEY DO!!!!

I am good at the show don't tell--yet one instance of telling--one line was pointed out to me. I use almost no (I would say none) of passive voice--yup they found a couple.

So your sub may not be perfect when they read and accept it as far as none of the dirty erros (as the industry see them) but by the time they are done with you--it will be. So why not start out getting all the poopoo out to start with? Even if you argue to the moon that it is a matter of style--well then I guess it is a matter of sold or not.

Shawn

Posts: 1019 | Registered: Apr 2000  | Report this post to a Moderator
Kolona
Member # 1438

While it's true that "was" is a good indication of passive voice, Brian had no "was." He had neither an active/passive issue nor a tense issue -- though he may be tense. He was simply confusing a verbal with a verb.

Your comments, however, feed directly into what I wrote in "Modern Fantasy" in the Fragments and Feedback section. Wording and sentence structure are what separate the real writers from the rest of the pack.

Artist, know thy tools.

srhowen
Member # 462

- posted      Profile for srhowen   Email srhowen         Edit/Delete Post 
It was a thought that came to me with the ing and ed theme. LOL

Blame it on rewrite HELL.

Shawn

Posts: 1019 | Registered: Apr 2000  | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.