Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » My Mommy Says I'm Special

Author Topic: My Mommy Says I'm Special
cvgurau
Member # 1345

- posted      Profile for cvgurau   Email cvgurau         Edit/Delete Post 
I didn't realize it until recently, but I hate (HATE!) stories with a preordained hero. I hate it when someone is the "Chosen One" (and yes, I realize that some of my stories have such characters, but rest assured, these stories have been put on indefinate hiatus until I can rethink and improve them) and I hate that only he can save the world. Why do I hate these stories? you ask? Well, it's simple. When I read a story, I do so to escape the dreary dullness that is my life. I read mysteries and fantacies and science fiction to go to places I've never been before, and to meet characters I've never met. Should the world need saving, I'm glad it could be, but doesn't having the protagonist be a prophesized hero kind of ruin it for the reader? I know it does for me, 'cause I realized that one--I don't believe in prophecy, and two--even if I did, I'm pretty sure I was never prophesized about. Because I like to put my self in the protag's shoes, this puts a space between me and him/her, and one that I'm reasonably sure the writer didn't intend.

This may not be you guys, it's just me. I'm just sayin', is all. Feel free to discuss.

Now that I've said it, however, I can't help but wonder: what if MY protagonist also has to save the world (my god, what a cliche) and she uses gifts at her disposal that, while they aren't unique, exactly, they ARE pivotal to her victory over evil (another cliche, but then, I'm full of them). Would that also alienate the reader?

Realizing he's just a Rambling Retard (but then, it's 2 o'clock in the morning, so...)
Chris

[This message has been edited by cvgurau (edited June 27, 2003).]

Posts: 552 | Registered: Jan 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
Rahl22
Member # 1411

- posted      Profile for Rahl22   Email Rahl22         Edit/Delete Post 
I have no problem with this. Because, while I identify with the protagonist, I do not pretend that I AM the protagonist. Also, in many situations, I'd much rather NOT be the protagonist. Author's are quite often very mean to their main characters
Posts: 1621 | Registered: Apr 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
Christine
Member # 1646

- posted      Profile for Christine   Email Christine         Edit/Delete Post 
I am not completely intolerant of prophecy, let me call it wariness. Too heavy a reliance on prophecy will severely weaken a story, but most of the time I've noticed the prophecies are almost like fluff, there to darken to mood and add suspense more than be truthful. Most of the time at the end of the story the prophecy turns out to mean something completely different than what everyone thought all along.

In that vein, I have it in mind to ridicule prophecy as a general theme at some point. I've seen this done in novels and have sometimes enjoyed this.

This could be a long topic. The truth is there are lots of different ways in which prophecy can be used, and sometimes the use is better than others. There are the "So and so is destined to save the world" prophecies which usually include an "or destroy it" clause just to attempt to add suspense. This doesn't work for me, I never feel fear that the hero will destroy the world. (Although I think that, too, should be done, maybe by me, maybe not. )

That's enough for now. I'll probably have more to add later.

Posts: 3567 | Registered: May 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
teddyrux
Member # 1595

- posted      Profile for teddyrux           Edit/Delete Post 
Phrophecies are a crutch.

Authors use them to let the reader know what is supposed to happen. The reader knows that Character X is supposed to save the day, read anything by David Eddings.

As for your own stories, it might be difficult to not show the reader who is supposed to save the day. Generally this is the POV character. I'm not sure how you could hint at the possibility of another character saving the day without ruining the ending.

Posts: 198 | Registered: Feb 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
srhowen
Member # 462

- posted      Profile for srhowen   Email srhowen         Edit/Delete Post 
The story I am working on right now has two main characters that at the start of the book are not together. Both is seems may be the one to save the world. And when they do meet up one almost kills the other.

IN the end it is not the character that the reader thinks will rule the world that does. Lots of twists and turns--not easy to write at all.

Shawn

Posts: 1019 | Registered: Apr 2000  | Report this post to a Moderator
Alias
Member # 1645

- posted      Profile for Alias           Edit/Delete Post 
Interestingly enough this is actually something I noted to be liked by a wide audience. At least from what my friend and I can tell.

I don't mean an actual prophecy is referred to in the story, more I am talking about some weird non-understood "fate" that is invisible to the characters and maybe the reader, but still hints at having a profound influence on the course of events taken.

For example:
Harry Potter - Somehow he is the chosen one, he's the one who always ends up fighting the bad guy and he's the one who all of the events unfold atround. The way Jo portrays this is hardly coinicdental. Still no actually prognastication was made in the story. (to my knowledge)

Now a another example, Star Wars
A few characters were "chosen ones."

Both of the series have a strong following, or did. We believe part of that can be attributed because people like to leave reality and imagine themselves from the POV of someone who DOES matter, who DOES make a difference. The contrast from typical dull life is one many people like to throw them into.

Just a thought.

As for me I can't say that I personally care for this, I certainly don't like actual prohpesies being made in the story. But a subtle sort of fate doesn't really bother me.

Posts: 295 | Registered: May 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Balthasar
Member # 5399

- posted      Profile for Balthasar   Email Balthasar         Edit/Delete Post 
It was Doc Brown who pointed out that the best way to create suspense is not by withholding information from the reader, but, rather, by telling the reader who is doing what. It seems to me that prophecy serves a similar function in fantasy stories. The author says, "Here's the hero -- he's destined to save the world and achieve greatness." But there's always a question: will he? On the conflict level of man vs. man, we ask, will the anti-hero(s) succeed in overcoming the hero? On the conflict level of man vs. himself, we ask, will our hero overcome his faults, self-doubts, and own selfishness, and accept his destiny?

But that's only one kind of prophecy. Another kind of prophecy doesn't tell us that so-and-so is the Chosen One, but, rather, that so-and-so is going to do something bad, say, kill his father and marry his mother. The conflict in this kind of story is going to be more centered on the man vs. himself level -- how does the character respond to this kind of news?

Another point to consider -- and perhaps the most important point -- to put prophecy in your story automatically assumes a worldview that some Transcended Other (God, Fate, whatever) is ultimately in control of history and that history itself has direction. Depending on what kind of prophecy you put in your story, you will be implicitly saying, "life has no meaning," or "life has meaning," or "despite all things, we are ultimately in control of our own existence." Used by an infantile and un-philosophical author, you end up with crap like Eddings. Used by a mature thinker, you end up with Tolkien.

And by the way, using prophecy IS NOT a crutch. Try telling that to Sophocles and Shakespeare.

[This message has been edited by Balthasar (edited June 28, 2003).]

Posts: 130 | Registered: Apr 2007  | Report this post to a Moderator
Christine
Member # 1646

About the Harry Potter thing...won't give away anything but you apparently haven't finished the fifth novel

In any case, I'm not sure that series' popularity is due to the depiction of Harry as a "chosen one." What we actually ahve is a person who is special because he has already shown (by surviving an attack when he was a baby) that he is special. This is the opposite of prophecy, really.

I may just be splitting hairs. When I think of prophecy, though, I don't think of the hero who is well equpped to tackle dangers. And, obviously, the events are going to unfold around the hero or the story isn't interesting. I usually think about actual, typically poetic, predictions about what is to come. Also, though, there are any real predictions of the future that come about in a tale.

Bone
Member # 1280

- posted      Profile for Bone   Email Bone         Edit/Delete Post 
I really think the pre-ordained hero really can work out a bit better if you look at it this way. If you were the choosen one or if one of the few that could save the world and you failed horribly it might not make such a good story. Well the hero losing could maybe make a good story but that doesn't happen much and is another discussion.

Guess my point is that you are typically reading the stories about those who succeed and not just anybody in the world. Guess that gives people a bit more leeway to get away with those sorts of things if you get me. But on the other hand overuse of that factor like you point out can make it really dull.

Posts: 35 | Registered: Oct 2001  | Report this post to a Moderator
Christine
Member # 1646

quote:
On the conflict level of man vs. man, we ask, will the anti-hero(s) succeed in overcoming the hero? On the conflict level of man vs. himself, we ask, will our hero overcome his faults, self-doubts, and own selfishness, and accept his destiny?

The answers, in order, tend to be no and yes. That is why I find tales that rely too heavily on prophecy to be uninteresting.

That's not to say that it's useless or always bad. In fact, I've even seen it used just as Balthasar suggests and turned out rather good, but usually, something else is happening. There is some other reason to catch me up in the story, some other element of suspense driving me.

Chronicles_of_Empire
Member # 1431

- posted      Profile for Chronicles_of_Empire   Email Chronicles_of_Empire         Edit/Delete Post 
I love unpredictability in a storyline. One with a "chosen one prophecy" generally will offer little scope for unpredictability, because the expectation is that the easiest route - the hero struggles, the hero succeeds in the end! - will be used.
Posts: 286 | Registered: Jun 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
Alexander
Member # 1665

- posted      Profile for Alexander   Email Alexander         Edit/Delete Post 
Knowing that the hero will succeed is not necessarily a problem. In epics, for example, we always begin quite sure that the hero will succeed, whether or not a prophecy is used.

The question is whether or not the hero is interesting to watch. In fact, many of the most interesting insights that the writer has will often be displayed in the the development of the hero, not in the fulfillment of the hero's goals (and as I've heard someone say, we don't care whether Alvin builds the Crystal City...but we do care about Alvin). Or, it may be interesting to watch the plot develop, even if the characters don't, if it is in the right author's hands.

When I read the Iliad for the first time, I knew that eventually Achilles was going to quit pouting and kick the Trojans around. But that didn't make it any less interesting to watch it unfold. Similarly, in Crime and Punishment, I came in already knowing that Raskolnikov would murder the pawnshop owner, and eventually get caught and even more eventually repent. But what makes CaP a classic is the way in which Dostoevsky shows Raskolnikov's mind at work.

Prophecy, like all other techniques, can be used, but has a price in telegraphing material. You can certainly use it to your advantage - see Oedipus Rex. And you can also use it poorly.

My two cents.

Posts: 5 | Registered: Jul 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Alexander
Member # 1665

- posted      Profile for Alexander   Email Alexander         Edit/Delete Post 
Actually I have one more thing to say - prophecy could be used negatively, to confuse the reader, and the characters. Build things up so that the reader thinks that the character *might* be the Chosen One, and then so that they are *pretty sure* he is the Chosen One. Then disappoint them.

This is even more dangerous than using prophecy positively, and is potentially a story-killer. But if you did it right? It seems that it could be very rewarding, done correctly...

Posts: 5 | Registered: Jul 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.