Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Male vs Female in writing (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Male vs Female in writing
Alias
Member # 1645

- posted      Profile for Alias           Edit/Delete Post 
I have noticed a tendency with many authors, myself included, to write a character of the opposite gender that may not act entirely naturally. Let me expound:

Male and Female think differently, we all agree on that much.

JK Rawlins characters tend to think and act in more of femine style. I'm not saying Harry is gay, but I am saying that because the author is female, and therefore thinks as one, her characters tend to do the same.

Orson Scott Card's character's struck people I have talked to as being very male-minded. Approaching, and handling a situation as a guy would most likely do.

Whether or not you agree with my examples is not the issue I wish to present. It is this,

How should an author go about writing main characters of the opposite gender?

Posts: 295 | Registered: May 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Christine
Member # 1646

- posted      Profile for Christine   Email Christine         Edit/Delete Post 
I've noticed a very similiar thing, Alice, but I'll add one more component. Female authors tend to write male characters as either women in men's bodies or as stereotypical men. Men tend to write female characters as men in women's bodies or stereotypical women.

I'm afraid, however, that I have to very much disagree with your examples. OSC and JK Rowling are two of the best I've ever seen at modelling the oposite gender. Harry never seemed like a girl to me, although getting inside his inner thoughts might make you think so. The truth is what he says and what he thinks are not often the same, so he is as close mouthed about his emotions as a real man tends to be. Any man out there who can't say they wouldn't have the same doubts and emotions Harry has? (Really, I'm curious. I'd like to think that these emotions are real to the male gender.)

As for OSC's characters, he usually writes his point of view characters as men, although whether or not his females are the POV characters or not they are very strong women. I actually like that very much. But they don't seem too much like men to me. They just seem like women who are strong, often leaders, and with superior abilities. Sometimes the emotional level is a little off, but it's about as close as I've seen.

Here's some examples I have noticed, though. Mercedes Lackey can't seem to portray a real man to me. (Don't get me wrong, I like most of her stuff.) But they are definitely either stereotypical or women in men's bodies. On the male side of things, Terry Brooks is awful about this. I can't stand his female characters. I'm glad he only puts a token one in every book because I don't think I could stand any others.

This is getting long, but I never quite got to answering your question, which is how to we model the opposite gender? Well, don't try so hard! I think (and please let me know if you agree or not) that men and women are more alike than different. But if you have to choose, resorting to steretypes is always a bad idea. If you had to do one or the other, I'd rather see a man in a woman's body or vice versa.

Posts: 3567 | Registered: May 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Brinestone
Member # 747

- posted      Profile for Brinestone   Email Brinestone         Edit/Delete Post 
I think OSC writes some of the most convincing female characters I've ever read. I identify strongly (as a woman) with many of them.

That said, I'm going to raise another issue. When I sent one of my short stories to a (male) friend to read and critique, he said I wrote like a girl and said, "I'm not sure if I like that." Now, I know this friend wasn't being sexist; what he was saying was that I needed to come out and be more aggressive with my writing (I think).

I'm wondering how to take this, since I am a girl, and so was my main character. The themes in the story, while not gender-related directly, were closely tied to the fact that she was female. I expected the story to have a strong feminine flavor.

My question is, at what point should I be true to who I am when I write and not try to hide that I am a somewhat shy, very nice, sweet, possibly naive girl; and at what point should I try to accomodate all audiences like OSC does?

Posts: 814 | Registered: Nov 2000  | Report this post to a Moderator
Christine
Member # 1646

You're walking a fine line there, Brimestone. The obvious answer is you should always write what you want and what you're passionate about, never sell out.

On the other hand, do you want to get published?

If the answer to the above question is yes, then you will have to accomodate audiences to a certain extent, but you wil *never* make everyone happy. Never ever. I don't know about the short story in question, I'd have to read it to really understand if your friends comments were out of line or not. I can assure you that he's being honest, which is what a good critiquer should do even if it's hard to hear. But I bet he could have found a better way to say it even so. And just because he thinks so, doesn't mean you can't sell your work.

If you want more opinions, I'd suggest posting a bit on fragments and feedback and see if anyone interested in looking at the piece.

srhowen
Member # 462

- posted      Profile for srhowen   Email srhowen         Edit/Delete Post 
LOL--ok the main character in my latest books is male. A strong type A male.

With my first name and the character--every person who has read it that did not know me thought I was male. Even people who only saw my last name on it and it is a two part hyphen last name think I am male.

It can be done.

Shawn

Posts: 1019 | Registered: Apr 2000  | Report this post to a Moderator
Alias
Member # 1645

- posted      Profile for Alias           Edit/Delete Post 
Why do you keep calling me Alice? I'm a guy.
OK, back to what you said.

[QUOTE]Whether or not you agree with my examples is not the issue I wish to present. It is this,

How should an author go about writing main characters of the opposite gender?[/QUOUTE]

What does everyone think about that?

Posts: 295 | Registered: May 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Christine
Member # 1646

I'm sorry about the mixup, Alias, my vision is poor and I sometimes misread words (or names).

I did answer your question. I said that I thought you need to stop trying so hard and realize that men and women are more alike than different.

Also, I think it is relevant whehter or not I agree with your examples. Because if you think those are examples of badly written male/female characters, then I'm not sure we're even on the same page about what is good and bad. In that case, none of my advice will be meaningful. Especially since, if I were to come up with an example of anyone who has done this *well*, I would have you read OSC.

But that's just my opinion, take it or leave it.

mags
Member # 1570

- posted      Profile for mags   Email mags         Edit/Delete Post 
In my experience, there is a very real difference in feel between a male writing a story and a female writing a story. When I am in a real reading mood, and finishing off a book or so a day, I get to the point where I can tell from the writing style if the author is male or female - regardless, and often without knowing, the name they are penning under.

This threw me the first time I read an Elrod book... cause the character was male and the voice was first person, but I kept thinking "this author is female".

Posts: 142 | Registered: Jan 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

- posted      Profile for Survivor   Email Survivor         Edit/Delete Post 
First time I started reading an Elrond book I got about six pages in and said, "I don't care how popular this writer is, I'm not reading another page of this crap."

But that's just me.

On the subject of male vs. female, I have to admit that I don't think I could write a convincing female character unless she was supposed to be a sort of man trapped in a woman's body. If I were a woman, I'd unquestionably be a virago and probably a (celibate) lesbian as well. But then again, even as a man I hardly qualify as "normal" by human standards. I spend a good half my time thinking about how to disable or kill any humans in near proximity (even ones I like), so all my characters have at least some noticable homicidal tendencies (which means I write about soldiers, warriors, and assassins a lot).

The fact of the matter is that some women are viragos and sociopathic killers and so forth. So I don't have to shy away from writing women...any more than I have to shy away from writing human males. I just have to make the POV character true to life...meaning myself, the only example I have of someone whose thoughts and feelings I can examine firsthand. On the other hand, you simply do not have to populate your stories entirely with POV characters. Make one or two characters POV characters, then have the other characters act like you've observed other people to act. You don't know the thoughts and feelings of people that you see everyday, you only know what they do...but the same is true of any non-POV characters in your stories...you don't have to know why they do the things they do, just so long as they do the sorts of things that real people do.

I've made a point of being something of an expert on human behavior, even though I have no idea why humans do the things I observe them doing. Most of the time, they just act like fools (which I might have to kill at any moment to protect myself--or just for fun ). When I write a POV character, that character is based on me (to some extent). When I write all my other characters, those characters are based on humans as I've observed them from the outside.

My point is that writing a person of another gender is not fundamentally different from writing a person of a different socio-economic class or a different culture. It requires putting ourself in the shoes of that person. But it is still you in that person's shoes, not someone else.

I would refer you to You and Your Characters on the SFWA.org site. He gives some good advice about writing realistic characters, but I warn you to only apply it to POV characters. In particular he warns about a character he calls a "damn fool".

quote:
Why is it that when some bloodthirsty creature clearly threatens the planetary exploration team, some damn fool always wanders off and gets himself killed? Would you leave the safety of the spaceship? Of course not! However, the damn fools do every time; otherwise there'd be no story.

Of course you would never leave the safety of the spaceship...but us damn fools do it all the time, after all, we've never gotten killed before. Just as I could never write the POV of a character that would hide in the dubious protection of a lightweight landing craft when I could pick up a suitable weapon and investigate the situation, a person that considers my sort to be "damn fools" shouldn't try to write the POV of characters that grab a blaster and head right towards any perceived source of danger.

All that being said, I do tend to avoid writing POV women because they are always viragos and tend to be a)virgins b)frigid or c)lesbians (so far I've stuck with virgins of the pureminded sort--it seems the least dangerous, besides which I find the idea rather attractive). But I also avoid writing men that don't think of violence as a possible solution to any problem (as well as men that think only of violence as a solution). I avoid writing about homosexual men for the same reason--I can't even imagine a women being sexually attracted to men for biologically unsound reasons, there simply are no biologically sound reasons for male homosexuality (the same is not exactly true of female homosexuality, but I don't think I'll get into that here).

In short, my POV characters think the way I think, and that's that. If it happens to be a she, then she thinks like me.

(that was short compared to the rest of my post, wasn't it? )

Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  | Report this post to a Moderator
Christine
Member # 1646

I wouldn't recommend simply not writing characters that are different from your own personal experience just because it's difficult. Then again, I enjoy a challenge. Also, there are some authors that I wish would tak Survivor's advice. Terry Brooks and Piers Anthony, for examples, should not write female characters.

My novel has male POV characters. I think the reason they work is because I don't get too into their characters as "men". Instead, I get into their heads as human beings who are involved in the scenario I have set up. They tend to cry less and instead bury themselves in work when things go wrong. Other than that, their reactions are based on their personalities more than their genders.

mags
Member # 1570

this doesn't help any, but I was reading the comments out loud to my husband and his response to Survivor's post, was "isn't it normal to always think about the people who are near you? always seemed like normal behavior to me" -- lucky for me, he is still of the understanding that I'm the best thing that happened in his life.

I think that some authors do well at writing for a different POV. Yes, Piers Anthony shouldn't write from a female POV. - there is a male author, whose name has completely escaped my memory, who writes under a womans name, and does a great job - best sellers and all- I think he was popular in the 70's and 80's.

I need to reread "Friday" to remember if I felt that Heinlein was reasonable in the POV part, though since I knew it was Heinlein writing it, I didn't pay as much attention to that.

The main thing though, is that since the range of human behavior is very broad, and why we act as we do can change due to cultural impact. - male characters can seem efeminate for any number of reasons, and female characters could have masculine traits for whatever reason... like no women around.

Of course neither really explains Harry, or for that matter Ron.

What everything boils down to really is how well the story is written. Certainly a good idea is to write from the POV of whatever gender you are, and have the opposite gender be seen only from the POV of the fe/male characters. - but a good story, regardless of POV is a better target.

[This message has been edited by mags (edited July 05, 2003).]

Brinestone
Member # 747

- posted      Profile for Brinestone   Email Brinestone         Edit/Delete Post 
Survivor, I choose to disagree with you. I read the article you linked to, and I had a slightly different interpretation of what the author meant by "being your characters."

I don't think that it's necessary to make your characters like you in order to make them realistic. I think it is necessary to become your characters as you write them. This might be harder if your character is vastly different from you, but if you have a good imagination, it's not impossible.

For instance, I'll cite a stupid line in a stupid movie, but one that I immediately thought of in this context. The movie is "That Darn Cat," and the scene is of a dumb cop that is chasing a cat all over town to see if it happens to go to the scene of a murder. The dumb cop doesn't want the cat to suspect anything (such as the fact he's being trailed), so he chants to himself: "I'm thinking like a cat. I'm thinking, slinking, like a cat."

I told you it was dumb. But when I write my characters, I think and sometimes slink like they would. I don't model them off of me, and I don't make them make the decisions I would make in their shoes. I imagine I am them. In other words, I was born in the same place they were born in; I am afraid of the same things they are afraid of; I love the same people they love; I want what they want; I hate what they hate; I am as smart as they are; you get the idea. Then I look around myself and say, "Okay, I'm Pobnar. What do I do when I'm stuck in a stadium tied to an oath of lifetime nonviolence not three months old, and there's one of the only people on earth who is capable of killing me not fifty yards away. Do I run and keep myself pure? Do I kill him and get what I ultimately want (which is noble)? Do I try to persuade him not to kill me? How? Which is worse: to break the oath or die?"

Pobnar decided to kill the man. Another of my characters would not have. He would have sat there and let himself be killed before throwing a single punch. Another character would have tried, but she would probably have failed. For others, the choice wouldn't have even been an issue.

The complete story of Pobnar's reasons are his and mine alone to know. I've threaded most of them through the story, hopefully to the point that when he makes this decision, it's almost inevitable. It's the only thing he would do.

Now, I, Brinestone, would never, ever kill a man to save myself, especially if there was another way out (which, in this case, there was). I know this about myself. Pobnar is definitely distinct from me in almost every way imaginable, except that he loves his family and wants them to think he's doing a good job with his life. He is attracted to women, not men; he is tall, not short; bold and rebellious, not shy and cautious; a leader, not a follower; agressive, not passive; and a lot more. He's my villain. But, like I said in another thread, I'm "falling in love" with him. He is a cool evil character, and I'm having fun finding out why he does what he does.

Anyway, this post has become incredibly long, but I hope I got across what I wanted to get across. I think too often, being True in writing has more to do with being honest about the situation and the character and the motivations than being perfectly true to ourselves. Maybe I'm way out on a limb here . . . it's possible.

PE_Sharp
Member # 1654

- posted      Profile for PE_Sharp   Email PE_Sharp         Edit/Delete Post 
John Gardner puts it this way in his book, On Becoming A Novelist:

"To be psychologically suited for membership in what I have called the highest class of novelists, the writer must be not only capable of understanding people different from himself but fascinated by such people. He must have sufficient self-esteem that he is not threatened by difference, and sufficient warmth and sympathy, and a sufficient concern with fairness, that he wants to value ppeople different from himself, and finally he must havve, I think sufficient faithe in the goodness of life that he can not only tolerate but celebrate a world of difference, conflicts, oppositions."

In the previous paragraph he refers to what I think of as a signifigantly similar approach to characterization that Survivor takes as "...the spokesman of a private, idiosycratic vision."

Maybe the whole first quote wasn't quite neccesary but either way I believe it is relavent to two distinct and perfectly legitamite (sp?) means of writing. Aswell as writing a person of the opposite sex, a feat I personally am not quite brave enough to handle in the POV quite yet.

PE

[This message has been edited by PE_Sharp (edited July 06, 2003).]

Posts: 47 | Registered: Jun 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
GZ
Member # 1374

- posted      Profile for GZ   Email GZ         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I think too often, being True in writing has more to do with being honest about the situation and the character and the motivations than being perfectly true to ourselves.

I think you’re right on target with that one, Brinestone. How do you write in the POV of any character? You try to get in their head and have them do the things it makes sense for them to do.

When writing from the POV of the opposite sex, I think its like writing any POV character outside of your experience. You take the observations you’ve had about people and then use them and your imagination to shape the behavior of your character, within the bounds of the personality you’ve created for him. People, regardless of gender, have a lot of similarities. That makes a common foundation to build any character off of.

Posts: 652 | Registered: Feb 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 1673

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 

Shapeshift... just become the character that you are writing. Do not make assumptions like All women like to shop and All men like sports, that gets boring.
Instead think of each character as being an individual with their own tastes. Some men like opera. Some women like watching wrestling while drinking jello shots. Everyone is different and characters in stories are no exception.
Stereotypes bore me and annoy me.

Posts: 1 | Registered: Jul 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

Brinestone, did you ever even watch That Darn Cat?

Just asking.

quote:
I don't think that it's necessary to make your characters like you in order to make them realistic. I think it is necessary to become your characters as you write them. This might be harder if your character is vastly different from you, but if you have a good imagination, it's not impossible.

There's one way in which this is right and another way in which this is wrong. The way it is right is that you can write about a character with external features and life experiences different from your own. But it is wrong in that you cannot write plausibly about a character that is fundamentally different from yourself.

I cannot understand the mental processes of the typical clinging woman character, not because I can't imagine being a woman (it isn't that much harder than imagining myself as a human male, after all), but because the internal logic of that mentality doesn't make sense to me.

In short, I can't become my POV characters, they have to become me. I can write about the sorts of behaviors that I have observed in others, even though I cannot understand the internal logic of such actions, because I've observed the external action and the external logic, just as you can write a description of a rock rolling down a hill without needing to understand how the rock feels about it. You understand enough about the forces acting on the rock and have seen it happen enough that you can describe it. If you tried to write a description of how the rock percieved falling down a hill, it would have to be a description of how you would feel if you were turned into a rock and rolled down a hill.

Dang it, that wasn't short at all.

mags
Member # 1570

The other day I was reading an interview with Laurelle K. Hamilton (I don't remember the web addy) - and one thing that she says is that her characters such as Merry are much more at ease with many things, than she is. And there have been more than a few occasions where writing the character took her out of her comfort zone, but she felt that she needed to be true to her characters while writing them.

There is a level where you need to become your characters, and one where they need to become you.

However, lets face it, no one wants to see the guy who wrote "Silence of the Lambs" or "Hannibal" to actually become Hanibal. - but he does a darned good job in writing the characters. And I know he has been asked how he comes up with his characters, but I haven't seen anywhere that he's talking about how he comes up with the characters of situations.

Sometimes if I'm trying to get into a certain state of mind for a character, I will put on music that I think that character would listen to. The hope there is that as the music flows over me, it will end up on the paper.

EricJamesStone
Member # 1681

- posted      Profile for EricJamesStone   Email EricJamesStone         Edit/Delete Post 
One suggestion I would make is that if you want to be able to write plausibly from the POV of the opposite sex, read things that are written in the POV of that sex by someone of that sex.

Posts: 1517 | Registered: Jul 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Brinestone
Member # 747

Survivor, yes I did, but it was a long time ago. The quote I used popped into my head while writing the post, and it seemed to fit. Why, did I use it totally out of context? Definitely possible, and I apologize if I did.

I guess I agree with you that there are some things I cannot write because I don't understand them. I can't write mean characters. You know, the type of people who are mean just because it gives them pleasure? I totally don't understand it. So I make up excuses for people who have to be mean like that, reasons that, in their heads at least, give them cause to act like that. I think probably there are people who don't need reasons to be nasty--they just like it. I don't get it . . .

[/random derailment]

Christine
Member # 1646

Mean for the sake of being mean....I find this to be an unbelievable character. I have the feeling that even the monsters we've seen throughout history have some reason for doing what they're doing, even if just in their own deluded minds. As a writer, I find it to be my job to seek out their rationalization and explain it to the reader. The rationale is often selfishness. I find most bad guys are bad because they want something, and usually the meanness does not go beyond what is necessary to get them what they want, even if they won't stop at murder.

Did I have a point...oh yeah, bad guys. If you want to write a bad guy, think of the times you have reationalized things, or been selfish, and magnify it a bit. Look at yourself honestly and you can find the seeds of meanness in youreslf. (Obviously, I don't expect any of you are actually monsters, though, you will have to extrapolate. )

EricJamesStone
Member # 1681

- posted      Profile for EricJamesStone   Email EricJamesStone         Edit/Delete Post 
Expanding on what Christine said, when trying to write characters I use what I like to call the universal rule of human motivation: "It seemed like a good idea at the time."

If you need to have someone doing something stupid or mean or shortsighted, just figure out why it seemed like a good idea at the time.

Taleswapper2003
Member # 653

- posted      Profile for Taleswapper2003   Email Taleswapper2003         Edit/Delete Post 
I tend to avoid female main characters. The female mind is a mystery to me and thta is proven again with each girl i ever meet.
Posts: 465 | Registered: Sep 2000  | Report this post to a Moderator
Christine
Member # 1646

LOL....not so mysterious. Try reading Men are from Mars or something like that to help gain insight.
pygmy_goat
Member # 1709

- posted      Profile for pygmy_goat   Email pygmy_goat         Edit/Delete Post 
Although MAFM/WAFV does give some reasonable insight into the processes of the opposite sex (okay, I admit that I can only evaluate it from one side), I don't really think that it tells anywhere near a complete story.

Let's talk about Harry. He's girly and that's the truth. He thinks about things like a girl would think about them, especially concerning Cho. Although I don't have the book in front of me, he does a lot of things that no male would do. I'll give JK credit that he also does a lot of things that a real male WOULD do, but add a however. Speaking from my POV as a male of approximately the same age as Harry Potter, and having recently been the same age as he, I would say that most of my thoughts about females consist of something like: "What the hell is going on?" Harry only thinks this SOME of the time. If he was realistic, he would always think that.

I'll avoid making a larger post, so that someone can disagree with me and we can argue.

Sean

[This message has been edited by pygmy_goat (edited July 30, 2003).]

Posts: 15 | Registered: Jul 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
pickled shuttlecock
Member # 1714

- posted      Profile for pickled shuttlecock           Edit/Delete Post 
He what?

No way. Harry is male. He really was thinking "what the hell is going on" most of the time in that short, stormy relationship in book 5. I think the thing that threw you is that Harry doesn't act as much as you'd like him to. He ends up thinking a lot, and not doing much until it really counts.

I'm going to make a suggestion about male vs. female characters that might not go over too well: listen to Dr. Laura.

Whatever you think of her morality, she's got this pegged. (Her next book is called "The Proper Care and Feeding of Husbands," and I'll probably buy it for my wife.) Here are some interesting generalizations I've picked up that seem to be borne out through experience:

- Men act; women think. When my wife wants to discuss a problem she had today, she doesn't want advice, she wants sympathy. When something goes wrong, I react immediately, and my wife usually holds me back.
- Men generally experience one or two emotions at a time; women may experience many. I am angry with my daughter. My wife is disappointed, annoyed, confused, and worried.
- Men generally concentrate on one thing at a time; women concentrate on many. I pick one thing and do it. My wife thinks of everything that's left to do - and usually ends up stressed out.
- Men argue based on logic; women argue based on emotion. (That's not to say there's overlap, of course - but each sex has its own preference.) I think, she feels.

(Now again, these are generalizations, which means of course they aren't always true - so stop pointing that finger.)

What I find most interesting is that the well-rounded characters I've liked best in novels didn't tend toward one side or the other completely. The men had a little women in them (usually capable of more than one or two emotions at once), and the women had a little men in them (usually more inclined to act).

Posts: 84 | Registered: Aug 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
littlemissattitude
Member # 1597

- posted      Profile for littlemissattitude   Email littlemissattitude         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't want anyone to take this wrong, or as a sexist statement. But I think it needs to be said.

I think it is probably easier for a female to write a male character than it is for a male to write a female character. This is because, I think, it is much more acceptable - in American culture, at least - for a woman to try to put herself into the mind of a man than it is for a man to try to put himself into the mind of a woman.

Think about it. Women have traditionally been expected to understand men and what they want in order to be good wives and anticipate their husbands' needs. Where I live, this still seems to be a common expectation. In fact, it came up in a conversation at the laundromat today. However, men are often raised to believe that to try to see things from a female point of view is somehow emasculating. Or so I've been told by some of the men I know. Obviously, this is not universally true, and maybe it is because I live in a fairly small town that is still largely agricultural that I still see this dynamic all the time.

Now, this idea may be all bunk. As a matter of fact, I hope I am wrong. I certainly wasn't raised with such stereotypes, but I had a slightly unconventional upbringing. But, I know many people who were raised with such ideas, are raising their children with them, and who still accept them as the natural order of things. Which is what leads me to the conclusion that I outline above.

Posts: 50 | Registered: Feb 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Christine
Member # 1646

I think most men try to hide their emotions because that is socially acceptable. But I think they exist.

But we're not two different species. If men and women were so incredibly different form one another we would not be able to get along at all. I don't want to make generalizations, but I will speak a little to my own experience.

I'm going to get married in about three months and I'm currently involved in the closest relationship I've ever been in. A lot of times he seems very stereotypically masculine to me. He thinks rather than feels. He also likes to try to fix things when I just want an ear. But sometimes he says or does something that makes me realize that inside there somewhere is a complex emotional human much like me. It is those times that make me feel closest to him.

Anyway, I recently gave male characters a shot in a novel I'm writing. The main main character is female, but there are three important male point of view characters. I did not try anything fancy to make them male. I basically wrote them like me, except that they are attracted to women instead of men (well, except one). I have them thinking and feeling and acting all in good proportion, and if maybe they do not expres their emotions as much as a female character, they still have them. I gave the chapters to my fiance and he said they were good, he did not feel too much like they were written by a woman.

So there you go. I still insist that deep down inside we have more in common than otherwise and that a few simple differences are all that need to be taken into account.

Survivor
Member # 213

If--deep down inside--I have less in common than otherwise with the rest of you, am I still human?
Christine
Member # 1646

Now you're getting into what makes a person human, which could take up ten threads all by itself!
EricJamesStone
Member # 1681

quote:
But we're not two different species.

Then again, maybe we are. Here's an interesting news story that came out a couple of months ago: http://www.marshill.org/Y%20Chromosome%20Error%20Correction.htm

The key quote:

quote:
But researchers have recently found that several hundred genes on the X escape inactivation. Taking those genes into account along with the new tally of Y genes gives this result: Men and women differ by 1 to 2 percent of their genomes, Dr. Page said, which is the same as the difference between a man and a male chimpanzee or between a woman and a female chimpanzee.

pickled shuttlecock
Member # 1714

Christine: You might want to get a more impartial observer. I'm not saying your fiance is a liar, but I remember myself in that position, being perfectly willing to swim through shark-infested waters or run through a mine field to make a good impression on my lady. Did I say things I wouldn't say now? Certainly. I probably also believed them.

Wait until the honeymoon is over - in two years or so - and then make him into your wise reader.

I sincerely hope that consensus isn't leaning toward the idea that there's not much difference between how men and women think. We'll end up with dishonest writing if that's the case.

At the very least (assuming there is no fundamental difference in the mind), you've got biological differences that definitely influence how the different sexes act. And no, I'm not pulling the PMS card, though that can be a factor. (There is a marked difference in my wife's mood during those times. We both acknowledge it and adapt.) Maybe married people catch these things better, I don't know. But my wife's attitude toward children and safety is miles different from mine. Me? I wouldn't mind terribly if my son, who loves to play with the oven door, gets a little burn sometime to teach him a lesson. But if it happened, my wife would think she was a bad mother.

Mothers care and hug and cry and kiss boo-boos; fathers teach and smile proudly and get annoyed and tell them to buck up and take it. There's plenty of overlap, yes: but I've never seen a pair that didn't act like that to some extent. If it's not indicative of some fundamental difference, I don't know what is.

Besides that, women grow up with a set of different expectations than men do, on the whole. Whether you believe it's because of societal expectations or because they naturally gravitate toward them (I believe both), little boys and little girls, in general, play with different toys. Little girls play with dolls, little boys play with trucks. Little girls get started with the social aspects of life, little boys get started with the mechanical aspects.

My little girl, when she plays with Legos, plays with the little people. We never emphasized dolls with her; for heck's sake, we started her with Legos. (To be honest, I was a little disappointed. Irrational, to be sure, but there you go.) My son could hardly care less. He likes the blocks.

Evolution? It plays a large part. To say that nurturing traits in women and providing traits in men were positively selected because it increased the chances of the children's survival would be almost declaring an axiom. It influences almost every other aspect of the psyche. But in our politically correct society, we have pressure to ignore these factors. Fight that. Don't let it make you dishonest.

Then we have seemingly superficial things that influence character: physiology, and its extensions into social interaction. Most early teenage girls - when I was growing up, anyway - socialized with the early teenage boys by swatting them away when they caught them leering. Would the male peers' attitude toward females of their own age and the terribly exciting physiological changes taking place affect them? Definitely. Would social pressures on young women to keep themselves prepped and pretty affect them? Oh, yes. These are things that young men don't really have to care about.

For young men, there are pressures to play well at sports, and definite social consequences to not being able to do it well. It has a huge effect on them in some way - and this is something that young women don't have to experience, on the whole.

What's amazing to me about this whole process is that most of us end up similar enough in the end to relate to each other somehow.

Then you have the problem of how men and women perceive each other as having differences, and how they react to that.

I'm currently writing a science fiction short story about a young man with tremendous power who ends up in a hospital ward, and a priest. No matter which way I juggle the genders, it simply cannot work unless I've got two men. It just couldn't be believable. Part of the resolution involves the priest, under the pretense of righteous indignation, using the truth about what the young man has become to upset him so badly that he finally has to face himself for what he is: a monster.

Make the priest a woman? The young man would probably sulk in response. How about a young woman instead of a young man? She'd quite likely break out into tears under the angry onslaught. Having different genders for the main character doesn't work, then. So how about we make them both women? They'd sit in the room and talk it out for days, discussing feeling upon feeling until they got to the bottom of it.

So with anything besides two men, I have something utterly boring, or totally unworkable for a short story.

Fortunately, I believe most of us have enough experience in male-female interaction to figure this stuff out - whether we say we understand it or not. Or at least, we will as we get older and gain experience.

[This message has been edited by pickled shuttlecock (edited August 05, 2003).]

Survivor
Member # 213

All that said, there are mannish women and effeminate men, and most of us probably know a couple of people that may not actually cross the "gender gap", but do some things that run against type. Just be aware of it when you write a character acting a bit like the opposite sex, and don't populate the whole world with folks of that stripe.
Maccabeus
Member # 1369

- posted      Profile for Maccabeus   Email Maccabeus         Edit/Delete Post 
An idea for consideration by people who are having trouble writing characters of the opposite sex...

Until around a year ago when it collapsed, I regularly roleplayed at White Wolf's Infinity Chantry site. I had designed a number of characters of varying personalities and played many of them, sometimes at the same time.

One of the characters, Linda, was very rational, active, and aggressive, and not particularly emotional; I openly admitted that I was male and simply acknowledged that I had designed the character to match me enough to make her playable. Another character, Dana, behaved more femininely, but in a stock, stereotypical way; I did not reveal that I played Dana and frequently implied that her player was female.

The result? Despite frequent slips of the fingers, practically no one realized that any of my characters were played by the same person. Most people believed that Dana's player was a woman. By making one character definitively against gender, I masked the failings of others. Probably this technique can be adapted to literature, though of course one should try to write any character as well as possible.

Posts: 55 | Registered: Feb 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
MaryRobinette
Member # 1680

- posted      Profile for MaryRobinette   Email MaryRobinette         Edit/Delete Post 
In my family, I'm the one that one that tends to act, while my husband is the one that tends to brood. I'm also more likely to be the weepy one. When I write male characters I tend to base them on men that I know well. Husband, brother, father, friends. I'm still guessing, of course, but then I'm guessing about the reactions of non-human characters too.

While we're on the subject of gender roles, bear in mind that a lot of these generalizations are Western in thought. I read an interesting article about the role of women in India. The author (I'm paraphrasing) said that women in India are kept under tight control because of how powerful, and hence dangerous, they were whereas women in the West were considered the "weaker" sex.

Then there's the matriachical tribal societies in China. The words 'husband' and 'father' don't even exist in some of them. Women run the households. Like the Naxi people. "Traditionally, Naxi women have managed trade and commerce, while men have been musicians, gardeners, and child-rearers, and today Naxi society is largely run along those lines. "

(Do a google search on Mosuo and Naxi if you're interested in reading more about them.)

So when you say "This is male" or "This is female" there's not just a danger of stereotypes, but of being eurocentric about the stereotypes.

Posts: 2022 | Registered: Jul 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
pickled shuttlecock
Member # 1714

For golly's sake, I might just write about people from a very Western-like civilization almost all the time, because that's the kind of civilization I'd be most familiar with. Gasps and astonishment: that might just be the kind of civilization that my readers would find most familiar!

Is that eurocentric?

Stereotypes exist for a reason. Many times, they embody the general consensus on a group. This might go against the grain, but I think they can even be a good starting point for developing a character.

Christine
Member # 1646

I can't let this go anymore. I was sitting politely, bitting my tongue, thinking, just let this thread die. No, I just can't.

I saw this:

quote:
Christine: You might want to get a more impartial observer. I'm not saying your fiance is a liar, but I remember myself in that position, being perfectly willing to swim through shark-infested waters or run through a mine field to make a good impression on my lady. Did I say things I wouldn't say now? Certainly. I probably also believed them

And I thought well, he doesn't know my fiance. He doesn't know that we've been friends for seven years, much of which time I was engaged to someone else so he had no reason to try to impress me. Also, he never tries to impress anyone. He's told me I was fat and needed to lose weight when it was true (I since lost the weight). He tells me when my stories suck in no uncertain terms. But he is also just one opinion, which is why I get others.

But I went ahead past that one and fell upon...

quote:
Make the priest a woman? The young man would probably sulk in response. How about a young woman instead of a young man? She'd quite likely break out into tears under the angry onslaught. Having different genders for the main character doesn't work, then. So how about we make them both women? They'd sit in the room and talk it out for days, discussing feeling upon feeling until they got to the bottom of it.

I think you're right. These characters should not be women, but not because they would ever react that way. None of my female characters would ever react in the obscene ways you've mentioned, you've been watching too many old fashioned horror movies where the girls'r ole is to scream. They're pathetic. Or am I wrong? Maybe, as a woman, I'm no good at writing my own gender? I tell you one thing, though, if you look at women this way you shouldn't write them.

Sulk? Break into tears! Is that how you think we act? I didn't even think this was serious at first. I was waiting for the punchline.

Like I said, though, I drafted a response and let it go. Just let it go, I told myself. Then I saw this:

quote:
Stereotypes exist for a reason. Many times, they embody the general consensus on a group. This might go against the grain, but I think they can even be a good starting point for developing a character.

Yes, they do exist for a reason. They exist because some people perpetutate them and cling to them like a security blanket. They exist because people need them to make sense and order their world into perfect geometric patterns. It is good to know what stereotypes are out there when writing because blatantly going against them is going to turn a character from a side character into a main character, but in terms of gender stereotypes, we've been attempting to throw them out the window since at least the 1960's, and for good reason! I am a female programmer. I am good at math and science. That goes against the stereotype. But you know what, I am hardly alone. I played with legos when I was a kid. Many women I know did. In fact, gender stereotypes as we kn ow them are so outdated as to be USELESS!

Yes, there are differences between men and women. I know that! But always these are GENERALIZATIONS. There literally are women inside men's bodies and vice versa and there are women who act as pathetically as mentioned above. But they're not the norm. Women are trying to come out of the era of men who thought they needed to be taken care of. Why don't you let us be who we are instead of who the stereotypes say we are?

[This message has been edited by Christine (edited August 08, 2003).]

Lord Darkstorm
Member # 1610

- posted      Profile for Lord Darkstorm   Email Lord Darkstorm         Edit/Delete Post 
Christine, I know that stereotyping is not really accurate. But in certain situations it can be usefull. Even if something is utterly wrong the common perceptions of those ideas can work in a writer'a favor.

Say I wanted to throw in a person in a story that was a bumb. I can outright declare them a bumb, or I can throw in some of the common traits (stereotypical identifiers) and get it across that its a bumb without having to say so.

As for gender stereotyping it still can be used and it will work. Although you may not fall into the typical concept of a woman that does not mean there are not millions of women out there that do. Some women do break down and cry even for reasons that seem ridiculous. I know because I've been in meetings where I was the one who managed to cause it. And I still don't understand why they were crying, it was work related things that were not that important.

You have to remember some people hold hard to their rationalization of how they percieve the actions of others, I'm as guilty as most others too. But don't take it personally. Some people cannot accept the fact that a woman can be independant and logical just like they percieve men to be. But I've known allot of men who couldn't think their way out of a wet paper bag. No logic at all. So you are correct in your thinking that stereotyping is not fair. But it works and it can be usefull in writing. Maybe not for a main character, but for minor ones they can be quite usefull.

I'm also looking forward to reading your story from the 1000 ideas thread. I'm not expecting a stereotypical main charicter either.

[This message has been edited by Lord Darkstorm (edited August 08, 2003).]

Posts: 807 | Registered: Mar 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Christine
Member # 1646

That was a quick response.

Darkstorm, you're right. About everything you say. I'm afraid my previous post was written in anger. Yes, it happens sometimes.

The truth is, I think many women are still caught up in the same stereotypes. I don't blame men for forcing them on us, I actually blame women just as much. I was struck by your comment about accidentally making a woman cry at a meeting. I'm not saying that the woman was this way, but I've known women to cry for the power it gives them, or they perceive to get.

I had a conversation with a friend once about crying. It embarasses me when I do it. I have long hair and I sort of take it down if it's pulled back and hang my head so no one can see. She laughed and me and went on about how other people seeing you cry was the entire point! And even I used tears against my fiance in that manner once. (Don't tell him I said that!) I felt lousy afterward. It was a cheap trick.

And you should absolutely make sure you know what people's expectations will be when you write. But then you should come up with better reasons for them to act the way they do then, "They're a bum." or "They're Native American." and especially, "They're a woman." because women are a "minority" that make up 50% of the world. (Actually, more than that, we outnumber men slightly.)

Lord Darkstorm
Member # 1610

- posted      Profile for Lord Darkstorm   Email Lord Darkstorm         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm afraid my previous post was written in anger.

This is just a point, but someone would say this justifies their stereotype. Emotial response over logical thought response. But since I am just as guilty about responding in anger sometimes. I guess one of the points I was trying to make is that we all fit into the stereotypes to a degree. Since stereotypes are really a look at the average way a certain group is perceived. So for women on average they are more emotional, and men are more sex driven and self centered. Most black people are stereotyped as low life criminals, although I work with a black man I have the utmost respect for and trust quite allot.

So for me a stereotype is a cheap way to not describe a minor/extra character that fills in a setting. It works, and although is not an accurate representation of all people that could be grouped in there I'll abuse it.

So, I do agree with you that they are wrong, but they are also usefull. Don't disregard it in writing because you disagree with it though.

As for the things some (not all) women do...well, I'll leave that one alone since it could get me in real trouble.

Christine
Member # 1646

On the other hand, anger is one of those emotional responses it's ok for a man to feel.
Kolona
Member # 1438

- posted      Profile for Kolona   Email Kolona         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Why don't you let us be who we are instead of who the stereotypes say we are?

I think it's more, Why don't they let us be who we are instead of foisting new stereotypes on us? My eyes are starting to glaze over in movies where a woman beats up a man -- or men. Maybe on occasion, with the right factors.

Just saw on the news the awful fact <deep intake of breath> that young women aren't going into the science and technology fields. Although they're in college in higher numbers than men, and even if they graduate in one of the male-dominated fields, they often go into traditional fields by choice. Saw an interview with one gal, honors in structural engineering or something, but she went into childcare or nursing (I forget which -- they were talking about several women).

My grandkids play with my dollhouse. The three-year-old girl sets up tea parties. The five-year-old boy flies the bicycle around the roof yelling "BikeBoy!"

Even more telling, when they play trucks, the girl doesn't see trucks and earth-moving equipment, she sees a mommy truck, a daddy truck.... At this early age she's into relationships.

Men and women are wired different. As that French actor used to say, "Vive la difference!"

[This message has been edited by Kolona (edited August 08, 2003).]

[This message has been edited by Kolona (edited August 09, 2003).]

Posts: 1810 | Registered: Jun 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
Lord Darkstorm
Member # 1610

Christine
You are right. Part of the male's stereotype. But I try my best to not show my anger since I've found it only gets me in trouble.

But knowing what makes a stereotype allows them to be used or broken as needed. Which I think opens up lots of possibilies for making the generall assumptions work for us as writers.

[This message has been edited by Lord Darkstorm (edited August 08, 2003).]

pickled shuttlecock
Member # 1714

This is awfully fun.

One thing I've noticed is that, when people argue about high-tension subjects like this, they tend to take sides.

See, I'm betting that my ideas and Christine's ideas on this subject are actually pretty close. But I thought people were arguing too much in favor of individualization (turned homogenization), and then she thought I was arguing too much in favor of generalizations, and...you know the rest of the story.

I'm priviledged to be married to a very non-traditional woman. She has a BS in information systems, for example. (So...as a computer programmer, I got the geeky girl. I win!) Of course I realize that nobody really fits into a stereotype exactly...but then, I can't ignore that there are generalizations that really need to be taken into account.

By the way, about not being able to juggle genders in my short story: it has more to do with how men and women perceive each other than with gender stereotypes - except of course for my "two women" example. (I thought I made that clear enough, but perhaps I didn't. If not, I apologize.) In fact, my young, powerful male monster is quite emotional through the entire thing. It's the source of the major conflict in the story. The priest - except for the last part where he acts angry - acts much more compassionate than gender stereotype, or even age and occupation stereotype, would dictate. Go figure. I must be into deep characters. (It's probably why I enjoy Card so much.)

At the same time, I think if you break stereotype too far, your reader won't be able to buy the ideas in your story. That is, unless you put them in an alien setting, or an un-Western-like civilization. Or you better have a darn good reason for it. (Not for breaking stereotype, but for breaking it too far.) For example, if my priest talks like a scientist and dresses like a woman, I really, really need to explain that.

(Which of course goes back to Lord Darkstorm's idea of using stereotypes as secondary characters: you just don't have time to explain a secondary character that acts way out of stereotype.)

[This message has been edited by pickled shuttlecock (edited August 08, 2003).]

pickled shuttlecock
Member # 1714

Hours later, I've just realized that we're avoiding declaring our beliefs on one major point that has everything to do with this discussion. Perhaps we assume everyone answers the big question the same way we do. Here's it is:

Is there a "male" and "female" psyche? Are men and women, in general, psychologically fundamentally different?

(Please refrain from answering with antecdotes about feminine men and masculine women. And yes, I know everyone is an exception in some way. The question is asking about generalities.)

[This message has been edited by pickled shuttlecock (edited August 08, 2003).]

Lord Darkstorm
Member # 1610

Is there a "male" and "female" psyche? Are men and women, in general, psychologically fundamentally different?

Yes, there is. But there can also be similarities. Basicly it doesn't matter since a woman can have dominant male charicteristics, and men can have dominant female charicteristics. So overall, just make them believable.

Asking a member of the oposite sex if your character has enough of the proper qualities to be believable will give you an idea.

Christine
Member # 1646

Ahhhh! I just wrote this long reply and it all went away, I don't even know why!

quote:

This is not a simple question to answer. What do you mean by general, psychologically fundamental differences? There is no such thing. Personality is not lumped into one number and put on a 1-100 scale, psychologists have tried.

Let's take a different approach. All humans, no matter their gender, have similiar psyches. We all need love, companionship, and we have a fundamental urge to reproduce. Some people (the bottom of the barrel) seem to not have much more needs than these. They're content just goinw tih the flow, not trying to create or explore or discover. (This is not a class issue, these people transcend classes too.) Then there are the creators, artists, scientists, writers, engineers, the top notch people who get things done.

Here's my point. Lining up all the woman and all the men in two lines and comparing them will get some differences, but I don't want to be in the same line as certain women, or certain men for that matter. There are more meaningful ways to organize people.

Here's another way of putting it. Let's take a specific personality dimension. Thinking/Feeling. More women are feelers, more men or Thinkers, but the *average* woman (not the masculine one) is more logical than a lot of the men out there. Let me draw a picture. (I hope it formats right.)

Thinking Feeling
--------------------Av. W---------------
------------------Av. M-----------------

Does that show what I mean? My statistics teacher said it perfectly once. "With a large enough group any difference is statistically significant," he said. And you're asking me to talk about all the men and all the women in the entire world.

I hope I've made my point well. I made itr better the first time I went through. Sigh. Next time I'm drafting in notepad.

Christine
Member # 1646

quote:
Asking a member of the oposite sex if your character has enough of the proper qualities to be believable will give you an idea.

Yes! I said that in my first draft, too. Grr....what button did I hit?

MaryRobinette
Member # 1680

- posted      Profile for MaryRobinette   Email MaryRobinette         Edit/Delete Post 
The funny thing is, that during my time lurking, I assumed pickled shuttlecock was a woman. Why? I don't know.

"For golly's sake, I might just write about people from a very Western-like civilization almost all the time, because that's the kind of civilization I'd be most familiar with. Gasps and astonishment: that might just be the kind of civilization that my readers would find most familiar!"

Well, duh. If you are writing for Americans, sure. I work in theater, and there's a lot of stories that I can't sell to an American audience because they don't fit with what people expect.

When I write (sci-fi or fantasy) I'm not dealing with mileau that are based on European principles. Do I have to keep my audience in mind? Yes. But that should have gone without saying.

Sigh. I would have let the point about other cultures drop but for the question of "fundamental psychological differences". A lot of the diferences that we think are biological are cultural. Kids don't grow up isolated, they get input not just from their parents, but from media, their friends, and their friends' parents.

Besides that, I think Christine answered it very well.

I think I'll go back to lurking now.

Posts: 2022 | Registered: Jul 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

If there is a fundamentally "human" psyche, then I fall outside it. I always have. I always will. This is not because I am not human (though there do appear to be some genetic issues). I just don't think, act, respond, or emote like a human does.

Not all humans have similar psyches. We do not all share the same emotional needs, any more than we all possess the same intellectual or physical talents. If you say otherwise, then you place me--and however many others like me happen to exist--outside your definition of humanity.

I've fallen outside most humans' definitions of humanity for most of my life (since I was about two years old), and as a result I have little fondness for humankind. So it is a matter of definition, which is to say that you can define all humans as being fundamentally similar, but be aware that some of us are not like the rest of you.

Christine
Member # 1646

quote:
there is a fundamentally "human" psyche, then I fall outside it.

Really? OK, you got me curious. This should probably go on a different thread, though, the fundamental definition of humanity. It's a really complicated philosophical issue. The traits I mentioned as belonging to all members of humanity are pretty broad, and frankly belong to most animal groups as well. (Need to reproduce...I mentioned love and socialization, but they all go to reproduction really.)

Care ro explain? (You don't hav to if you don't want to, of course. )

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.