Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Phobos Fiction Contest (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Phobos Fiction Contest
Earendil
Member # 1572

- posted      Profile for Earendil   Email Earendil         Edit/Delete Post 
I was just wondering who else is polishing up old stories and/or (like me) frantically crafting new ones for submission to the contest.

Since I just learned about it last night at 3AM or so, I don't have a whole lot of time to get mine finished. Though I think I'll be alright in the end.

Is anyone submitting stories critiqued on this very forum?

Which reminds me...if you ARE submitting and want someone to critique your story, just send me an email. As your direct competitor, I'd love to take a look. But be forewarned, I may give you two possibly contradictory feedback write-ups, one to use for the contest and one to use afterwards...

Posts: 7 | Registered: Jan 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
James Maxey
Member # 1335

- posted      Profile for James Maxey   Email James Maxey         Edit/Delete Post 
One quirk of the Phobos rules versus the WOF rules is that previous winners can still enter. So despite having won two years ago, I'm planning on submitting three stories this go around, and I know that many of the other winner also are planning to resubmit. That said, your odds of winning the Phobos contest are much higher than the odds of winning the Writers of the Future contest because, as a newer competition, they haven't been getting as many submissions as WOF. This will probably change as the contest grows. So if any of you are thinking about sitting out this year and waiting to next year, don't. The competition will only get tougher.

--James Maxey

www.nobodygetsthegirl.com

Posts: 252 | Registered: Dec 2001  | Report this post to a Moderator
Rahl22
Member # 1411

- posted      Profile for Rahl22   Email Rahl22         Edit/Delete Post 
This made me wonder. Does anyone know of any good anthology contests like Phobos that isn't necessarily scifi genre specific?
Posts: 1621 | Registered: Apr 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
Hildy9595
Member # 1489

- posted      Profile for Hildy9595   Email Hildy9595         Edit/Delete Post 
James, I just had to say...I was at Readercon last weekend, and there was a lovely ad card out on display for your book, Nobody Gets The Girl, complete with terrific reviews. It gave me one of those, "Hey, I know that guy...well, virtually at least!" moments. Congrats!

On topic, I looked at the Phobos contest, but realized I simply don't write science fiction, emphasis on science. Fantasy, yes. Surreal, yes. Even horror. But hard SF? Not even close...just not my wellspring. So, no, I won't be sending anything in, but I wish everyone who does a lot of luck!

[This message has been edited by Hildy9595 (edited July 16, 2003).]

Posts: 338 | Registered: Aug 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
AndrewR
Member # 1563

- posted      Profile for AndrewR   Email AndrewR         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I'm desperately trying to finish polishing up a story I've been working on since April. I'm hoping for a second win, but I kinda doubt it. (My wife didn't help me with this story. )

I second James advice, though. For a beginner, this is an excellent contest, since it does not yet have the fame of WotF. And, besides, if you're a finalist, you get OSC to read your story!

Posts: 180 | Registered: Jan 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Nexus Capacitor
Member # 1694

- posted      Profile for Nexus Capacitor   Email Nexus Capacitor         Edit/Delete Post 
Hi. I've been lurking here for a few months and finally got around to signing up. I don't know why it took so long. Maybe I have some sort of Bulletin Board anxiety.

At any rate, I'm trying to get a story done for Phobos. I've decided to send it, polished or not, just so I can get past the ever-present fear of submitting my work.

Posts: 144 | Registered: Jul 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
GZ
Member # 1374

- posted      Profile for GZ   Email GZ         Edit/Delete Post 
I’ve tried to put something together, but much like Hildy, the science fiction category isn’t where my ideas usually end up. Unless some miracle of inspiration hits, I’m not planning on submitting anything.

I did read the first anthology, and it really was a great collection. I liked almost every story, but I must say, Andrew, yours was one of my favorites.

Good luck to all the submitters.

Posts: 652 | Registered: Feb 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
Alias
Member # 1645

- posted      Profile for Alias           Edit/Delete Post 
What is Phobos?
Posts: 295 | Registered: May 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Rahl22
Member # 1411

http://www.phobosweb.com/index.php
Kolona
Member # 1438

- posted      Profile for Kolona   Email Kolona         Edit/Delete Post 
Is the Phobos contest strictly hard SF? I don't see that in the rules, but it could have been lurking in the fine print.
Posts: 1810 | Registered: Jun 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
James Maxey
Member # 1335

- posted      Profile for James Maxey   Email James Maxey         Edit/Delete Post 
Phobos isn't strictly "hard" sf. The rules state only that the story work from some science fictional premise. I think they will automatically exclude outright fantasy, but most of the stories published in the first anthology didn't smack you over the head with the science behind them. One of the stories, "Great Theme Prisons of the World," was purely psychological / socialogical with no real science behind it at all. I like the story a lot and was glad it made it into the anthology, and I think this is evidence that they are judging stories more by the stories than by the science.

--James Maxey

Earendil
Member # 1572

Ah I didn't see that anywhere either...as far as I know it's just regular old "science fiction", disregarding any specific fragmentation of the genre.

*EDIT

James got it in right before me.

[This message has been edited by Earendil (edited July 16, 2003).]

Heresy
Member # 1629

- posted      Profile for Heresy   Email Heresy         Edit/Delete Post 
Too bad for me it's for US residents only. oh well, back to working toward WOF again.
Posts: 293 | Registered: Apr 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
mags
Member # 1570

- posted      Profile for mags   Email mags         Edit/Delete Post 
"Each Entrant may submit up to THREE (3) short stories to be entered into the Contest. All Science Fiction sub-genres are welcome; however, works of high fantasy or horror that lack a Science Fiction theme or conceit will not be considered."

So it looks like anything science fictiony works. - the one story that was psychologica/sociological would have gotten through because of how it was presented, or maybe there was some angle that although it didn't jump out and stay "I'm Science Fiction" did seem to fit into the genre somehow... or at least dind't jump out and say "hi, I'm fantasy".

Posts: 142 | Registered: Jan 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
James Maxey
Member # 1335

The one element of "Great Theme Prisons of the World" that was inarguably SF was that it took place in the future, although it was definately a near future. It was written by Carl Frederick, by the way, who has gone on to win in the second contest, and has also since won the Writers of the Future contest, and has sold two stories to Analog. He's a good writer with fresh ideas. Keep an eye out for him.

If any of you haven't read the first anthology, I can give you a breakdown of the stories and very brief synopsis.

"They Go Bump" - David Barr Kirtley - Far future military SF on an alien planet. Soldiers test out stolen invisibility equipment and learn the downside to not being able to see the barrel of your own gun.

"Twenty-Two Buttons" - Rebecca Carmi - Maybe 100 years in the future, set on Earth, in a world where the internet has allowed people to seal themselves into their homes and never come out.

"The Hanged Man, the Lovers and the Fool" - Justin Stanchfield - A time travel tale set on Earth in various past eras.

"Empire of Dreams and Miracles" - James Maxey - Set in a far future Atlantis where death is only another amusing past time, a man who kills other people for fun is stalked by a woman who kills people for real.

"The Messiah" - Carl Frederick - Present day SF about a man from a higher dimension.

"Eula Makes Up Her Mind" - Daniel Conover - Near future SF about future computer interfaces.

"Carthaginian Rose" - Ken Liu - Another near future SF about computer interfaces.

"Rippers" - Chris Leonard - A horror story about an alien sausage vendor.

"The Compromise" - Rick Sabian - Set on a future Earth where all babies are taken from their parents at birth to be raised by people in other cultures as a scheme to promote world peice.

"Who Lived in a Shoe" - Andrew Rey - Humorous SF about house shopping on an alien planet.

"The Prize" - David Barr Kirtley - A SF thriller with a Twilight Zone ending.

"Great Theme Prisons of the World" - Carl Frederick - A near future story on an Earth where the rich can trade longer prison sentences for more luxurious surroundings. On the flip side, they can also get briefer prison sentences if they choose medieval prison conditions.

So, most winning stories were set on near future Earths. Only two take place on alien planets. Only two seem to take place more than a thousand years in the future.

Unfortunately, I haven't gotten a sneak peak at this years anthology contents or I'd give you a breakdown of them as well.

Hope this helps,
James

Rahl22
Member # 1411

Or more importantly, NONE of them feature a space craft -- which seems to rule out my present stories. Oh well.

We'll give it a shot.

Thanks for the breakdown, by the way.

James Maxey
Member # 1335

It could just be that no one submitted a story set on a space ship for that first anthology.

--James

Earendil
Member # 1572

...or at least nobody submitted a GOOD story set on a spaceship.
Alias
Member # 1645

thanks. And, not that it's applicable of course, but I wonder why they rule out below 18 writers. I have a cousin who I would consider quite good who was interested until we read that disclaim. Oh well, next year I suppose, eh.

Do the rules ever change? because if not I suggested he work on his story now,m and have it polished up nicely for next year.

James Maxey
Member # 1335

I think the over 18 rule is in their because they want to be able to enter into legal contracts with you for various rights. Phobos CEO is a movie producer (you can look up her bio at www.phobosweb.com) and Phobos is hoping to one day discover the next Matrix or Men in Black among their submissions. At least that's how its been explained to me.

--James Maxey

EricJamesStone
Member # 1681

- posted      Profile for EricJamesStone   Email EricJamesStone         Edit/Delete Post 
Having spent the last 15-20 minutes or so trying to make sure I'm properly following the Phobos manuscript format, I've decided it's ridiculous that they don't just post a sample manuscript in .doc format. After all, their submission form is online as a .doc, so they obviously know how to do it.
Posts: 1517 | Registered: Jul 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Lord Darkstorm
Member # 1610

- posted      Profile for Lord Darkstorm   Email Lord Darkstorm         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, my little creation went off last night. Figured I would beat the rush, or something like that.

Overall I'm quite happy I took the time to create a story for it. I had allot of fun doing it. I wish I would have discovered it a month ago and I could have done more than one. But I didn't think I could do more than one good story in a week.

But I got the one done.

[This message has been edited by Lord Darkstorm (edited July 31, 2003).]

Posts: 807 | Registered: Mar 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Christine
Member # 1646

- posted      Profile for Christine   Email Christine         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm with you. I only got one out too because I just can't pump out good ideas liek that. As it was, only having a a week and a half's notice, I used an old idea. If it included fantasy, then maybe, I'm so much better with fantasy.

But anyway...I got one story send out yesterday and I liked it. I feel good about having written it, even if it doesn't win because I'll just turn it around and send it out to a magazine!

Posts: 3567 | Registered: May 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Taleswapper2003
Member # 653

- posted      Profile for Taleswapper2003   Email Taleswapper2003         Edit/Delete Post 
I am....doing it during my lunch break today. Didn't hear about the contest till yesterday. Too bad my best story is 18,000 words long. sheesh. I gotta go with a short one.

[This message has been edited by Taleswapper2003 (edited July 31, 2003).]

Posts: 465 | Registered: Sep 2000  | Report this post to a Moderator
AndrewR
Member # 1563

- posted      Profile for AndrewR   Email AndrewR         Edit/Delete Post 
Boy, you guys are making me feel bad. I've been working on my story since April, and I just sent it in last night. And I still could have worked on it some more, but I finally got tired.

Ah, the price of perfectionism--low output.

Posts: 180 | Registered: Jan 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
MaryRobinette
Member # 1680

- posted      Profile for MaryRobinette   Email MaryRobinette         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Taleswapper, you ever hear about how Heinlein cut 'Stranger in a Strange Land' in half to publish it the first time? 18,000 down to 7,500 should be a snap. And you've got till midnight tonight. Why not have a frantic editing session and submit both?

boy... that's just crazy talk, isn't it?

Posts: 2022 | Registered: Jul 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Ergoface
Member # 1429

- posted      Profile for Ergoface   Email Ergoface         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I just sent off my one entry, and yes I have been fussing with it on and off since March. I should probably done more than one entry, but like so many here I didn't have multiples that fit the requirements.

Anyway, good luck to all (except possibly James since he's already won and probably making the rest of us look bad <G> ).

Dave

Posts: 77 | Registered: Jun 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
Lord Darkstorm
Member # 1610

- posted      Profile for Lord Darkstorm   Email Lord Darkstorm         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, there are to be 12 winners. Maybe a most of us will win. Any way, it was fun.

Good luck to all of you.

Actually, maybe some of us who entered would like to swap some our entries after tomorrow so we can see what others came up with. I did get to read and early version Eric's story. Was interesting to see a different approch.

[This message has been edited by Lord Darkstorm (edited July 31, 2003).]

GZ
Member # 1374

My needed "miracle" happened. I got an idea on how to rework one of my few science fiction stories that had long been gathering dust. So I tweaked that around the last week or so into to something new and sent it off last night. I’m glad I was able to get something together – I was really getting irritated with myself, even if science fiction isn’t what comes easiest.

Good luck everybody!

Nexus Capacitor
Member # 1694

- posted      Profile for Nexus Capacitor   Email Nexus Capacitor         Edit/Delete Post 
Woo hoo! I just finished polishing my story and submitted it.

Good luck everyone! I hope we all win!

I'd be interested in trading stories tomorrow, too.

Posts: 144 | Registered: Jul 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Hildy9595
Member # 1489

Well, despite what I said way up at the top of this thread, I came up with a suitably science-fictiony story and submitted it yesterday (thanks, btw, to James and the others who clarified the "science fiction" requirement). It's a short one and a little twisted, but we'll see.

Best of luck, all!

Maccabeus
Member # 1369

- posted      Profile for Maccabeus   Email Maccabeus         Edit/Delete Post 
Good luck, guys. I don't even have any bad stories in my slush pile at the moment, so it's doubtful I'll come up with anything in time.
Posts: 55 | Registered: Feb 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
GZ
Member # 1374

Well, it's October 15. No results posted at www.phobosweb.com yet, but today's the day decisions were supposed to finalized.

Here's hoping we hear something soon! <hates waiting>

Lord Darkstorm
Member # 1610

Yes, but for those of us who are not expecting to win waiting isn't hard. I entered for the fun of doing it. I do hope someone here wins.
Hildy9595
Member # 1489

I actually forgot about this! Good luck again to all who entered
GZ
Member # 1374

Well, even when I don't think my odds are good, I still like to know. I don't really like waiting for rejection notices either.
Christine
Member # 1646

- posted      Profile for Christine   Email Christine         Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with GZ, just the fact that I put a story out there makes me excited to hear the results even if reality will surely disappoint me. I write fantasy, after all, and I kind of live in my own little fantasy world.
Posts: 3567 | Registered: May 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Lord Darkstorm
Member # 1610

Scifi can be fun also. Magic and technology are just different forms of similar thought. Fantasy just allows for an easier avenue.

I like both.

Ergoface
Member # 1429

- posted      Profile for Ergoface   Email Ergoface         Edit/Delete Post 
I think we need to get James to weigh in here, as a past winner, about how soon we will find out if any of our august body has scored with one of our entries. You out there James? How quick were they when you won last time?

Dave

Posts: 77 | Registered: Jun 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
James Maxey
Member # 1335

I was contacted in December when I won with "Empire of Dreams and Miracles." Last year they posted the finalists fairly early, before October I think, and announced the winners late October? I didn't win last years contest, so I might be mistaken. In any case, I'll be seeing the whole Phobos crew when I have my kick-off book signing at the Greenwich Village Barnes and Noble on October 30 at 7:30pm. If the winners aren't announced by then I'll try to find out the new time table and let you know once I get back into town.

Thanks,
James

JK
Member # 654

- posted      Profile for JK   Email JK         Edit/Delete Post 
Like the subtle little plug there, James

JK

Posts: 503 | Registered: Sep 2000  | Report this post to a Moderator
Marianne
Member # 1546

- posted      Profile for Marianne   Email Marianne         Edit/Delete Post 
Good luck with the book signing, James. I just ordered your book and should have it in a few days. I am not sure it is my cup of tea, but always happy to support a new writer.

Marianne

Posts: 173 | Registered: Dec 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
James Maxey
Member # 1335

I, and my credit cards, thank you.

--JAM

Alias
Member # 1645

quote:
Scifi can be fun also. Magic and technology are just different forms of similar thought. Fantasy just allows for an easier avenue.
I like both.

Yes! They occupy the same purpose but are tailored to fit seperate styles of fictional reality. I enjoy trying to intertwine the both of them in the same milieu.

Lord Darkstorm
Member # 1610

quote:
Yes! They occupy the same purpose but are tailored to fit seperate styles of fictional reality. I enjoy trying to intertwine the both of them in the same milieu.

The concept of intermixing the two does sound interesting. I will give it some thought. I think the best mix I have seen (and it might be a bit on the borderline) was the Rowan series by McCaffery. Also Piers Anthony did a series that did it also to some degree.

Who knows there might be a good story to be made of it.

MaryRobinette
Member # 1680

- posted      Profile for MaryRobinette   Email MaryRobinette         Edit/Delete Post 
The contest rules say that the final selection is made by October 15th, but they make no promises about when they post it on the website. It also says that the finalists are notified by phone or e-mail and have fourteen days to respond before being disqualified, so I guess they are waiting to hear from some people before posting the final list.
Posts: 2022 | Registered: Jul 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
GZ
Member # 1374

Well, according to a poster on the main Hatrack Forum, who was bold enough to give Phobos a call, they are running late. Per that post, they haven't even sent the selections to the final judges yet, although perhaps results will be avalible "before the holidays."

http://www.hatrack.com/ubb/cgi/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=2;t=014033;p=3

Hildy9595
Member # 1489

So did anyone else get the email from Phobos that they were now "back on track" and hope to send the finalists' work to the judges by the end of this month? I was also asked to re-send my story, as it had been lost! So I guess we all have awhile yet until we hear who wins.

Edited to answer GZ: received today (Sunday)

[This message has been edited by Hildy9595 (edited October 26, 2003).]

GZ
Member # 1374

No, I didn't get any email about being back on track... hmm... Last year, I got the "you're not a finalist" email a day after a lot of other people on the BBS... Of course, now I wonder if my whole submission might have been lost! (Wow Hildy!)

What day did you get the email, Hildy?

[This message has been edited by GZ (edited October 26, 2003).]

EricJamesStone
Member # 1681

- posted      Profile for EricJamesStone   Email EricJamesStone         Edit/Delete Post 
I sent an e-mail asking about the delay over a week ago, and got the following response today:

Sorry for the delayed response. We got so many more stories
than last year, that they overwhelmed our contest coordinator's system. We are
back on track now, and finalists' stories will be sent to the jury at the end
of this week. The winners will be announced and prize monies distributed
before Christmas, as in years past. So glad you and friends submitted stories.
Thank you and Good Luck!

Posts: 1517 | Registered: Jul 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.