Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » *Writing Debate Center*

Author Topic: *Writing Debate Center*
Infyrno
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
Ok, the fact of the matter remains that the Debate Center was one of my better ideas in the Fresco Pictures forum. It was where we mainly used to gather the posts and considering the fact that the last time I think we at Fresco said anything about writing or any books was a couple of million eons ago I think that starting it anew might give this forum a slight kick in the @$$. So once again, here we are. Ladies and gentle men, I enter your lives as either a friend or a foe. Take it however you will. So, the first topic, I feel I shall bring one up is one that I have been itching at in my mind for quite a while.

This topic might tickle the fancy of certain ones more than others— namely the serious writers. I am a Writer. I feel as though I have an inclination to bring up the fact that I see the ability to write a good piece as the key to power. I mean think about it. In the palms of your hands you hold the ability to create whatever you want, and inject that thing into the minds of others. I don't think correct punctuation honestly matters when it comes to writing. What matters is the ability to clasp the heart and soul of someone and wrench it clear out of their chest, and shoot it up with heroin.

Upon the grasses of some forgotten hill,
There lie a stone beneath a man of shrill,
One of talent to wield a raven’s ebon quill,
This man would sit upon the stone and out pour his skill.

And as he sat, worlds were born and met their end,
And lives were born, and stars would rend,
People were brought to their lives mend,
And where lives were brought their thoughts would bend.

This man with the power a universe to mold,
To bend and twist the lives and time so cold,
To leap through the very elements of old,
And in his hands creation does he hold.

This is a poem that I wrote a couple minutes ago. Now think about this for a minute. It could be seen as a controversial topic. Some people might see writing as simply a form of entertainment, or to get a point across. Some people might HATE sad stories with an agonizing ending when a character that you have come to know and love becomes subject to that which no terror could give it justice. But when it comes down to it, which ones are the ones that stay with you? Do you remember the stories that have a happy and cheerful ending or do you just feel happy for a minute or so and then forget all about it?

In my opinion, happy endings suck. I hate them. I would rather have something terrible happen than something happy and cheerful. Some people might call me cruel for saying this. For wishing that the words on a piece of paper would truly mean something, rather than just having a conflict to resolve and then have it be resolved in the most obvious way possible. Some have twists. Some have emotional or physical stress on people or other characters but I feel as though if it doesn't tug at your mind and get you crying or laughing or cursing at the author then it simply was not worth reading. There are few good books in the world, in my opinion. VERY few. Ender's Game was good. But it was good in the sense of character development. It tugged at my mind by truly getting me to know and understand thoughts of Ender and few of the other characters.
Game does have a powerful sense of emotional conflict. It makes you feel SO good about Ender’s situation when *SPOILER* he finds out that the “games” were real battles. I remember specifically the time when I found that out. My chiropractor Dr. Falcone recommended the book to me saying that she knew that I would love it. She told me that there is just this one part of the book where you would just want to stand up and sing for joy. She said that the author touches on human emotion in an incredible way. That is the reason that it was so appealing to me. So I go out and buy it and then I get transferred to another chiropractor and it was in that waiting room where I got to the part where Ender defeats the Formics. And, believe it or not, I did get up for I could not be restrained. I did not sing though. That would be awfully silly (jk).

So what is it? What is it that makes you love Ender’s Game or and book so much and I would also like to hear your opinions on my ideas regarding writing and such.

“(I always put a quote from a story I am writing at the end of my posts) And on the off chance that the embers would fade and all things would come to ruin, does it give you the feeling that afterwards we shall have no where to turn as battle is all we have ever known?”

Vycye

| Report this post to a Moderator
EricJamesStone
Member # 1681

- posted      Profile for EricJamesStone   Email EricJamesStone         Edit/Delete Post 
I like happy endings. (Just to get the debate started.)

That doesn't mean everything has to turn out great for all the good guys. If every single one of the good guys is killed but they manage to save the world (or whatever), then I'll tend to be satisfied with the ending.

But I like to believe that good will prevail in the end, and I enjoy reading things that fit with that worldview.

That doesn't mean that the guy has to get the girl. Some of my favorite endings are where the guy doesn't get the girl.

For example, one of the all-time great endings: A Tale of Two Cities. (Don't read any further if you don't want to know how it ends.) Sydney Carton could have let the husband of the woman he loves go to the guillotine, but instead takes his place. So he doesn't get the girl and ends up dead. Happy ending? Yes, indeed: "It is a far, far, better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far, better rest that I go to, than I have ever known."

Posts: 1517 | Registered: Jul 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Amka
Member # 1262

- posted      Profile for Amka   Email Amka         Edit/Delete Post 
I think I agree. There are sappy happy endings where everything turns out okay and no one has really been changed in the process.

Just accept that since we are talking about endings here, there are SPOILERS.

And then there are the happy endings with depth. The good outcome has come at great cost to the characters. In Lord of the Rings, for instance, Frodo never regains the simple life of the Shire that he sacrificed so much for, but the Shire is saved. The magic of Middle Earth is lessened further when the last of the elves leave, but evil did not prevail.

It is sacrifice and growth that makes a story more than just entertaining.

Posts: 119 | Registered: Sep 2001  | Report this post to a Moderator
Infyrno
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
Just bringing this thread to the top. I'd like to get the populous of this forum in on this topic.

"It assuages her misery where time would tell no lies"

Vycye

| Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.