Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » reeducate or re-educate

Author Topic: reeducate or re-educate
Lord Darkstorm
Member # 1610

- posted      Profile for Lord Darkstorm   Email Lord Darkstorm         Edit/Delete Post 
In a short story I am working on I am using the term re-educate in reference to a government type office. But both forms are technically correct accourding to the dictionary and the spell checker. But which one would be the more appropriate form to use?

I have no bias one way or the other just want the more accepted one.

Posts: 807 | Registered: Mar 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
EricJamesStone
Member # 1681

- posted      Profile for EricJamesStone   Email EricJamesStone         Edit/Delete Post 
A good tool I've found for this sort of decision is Google. It's not perfect, but it can give you a sense for what is more common.

"re-educate" found about 27,500 results.
"reeducate" found about 8620 results.

As it happens, I agree with Google because I think "re-educate" is better, because it is clearer.

Posts: 1517 | Registered: Jul 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Lord Darkstorm
Member # 1610

- posted      Profile for Lord Darkstorm   Email Lord Darkstorm         Edit/Delete Post 
Makes sense, and I was leaning that way but figured I could get someone who knew to explain it. Possibly find out why, which would be good for future words that fall into the same catagory.
mags
Member # 1570

- posted      Profile for mags   Email mags         Edit/Delete Post 
I checked with Marriam Webster (copyright 1995), and there is it "reeducate" -- just a point of reference.
Posts: 142 | Registered: Jan 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
EricJamesStone
Member # 1681

- posted      Profile for EricJamesStone   Email EricJamesStone         Edit/Delete Post 
If the word were more commonly used, I probably be used to the "reeducate" spelling. But it just looks wierd to me.

Of course, others may reel off reasons why I should reevaluate. Instead of clinging to the slender reed of my own prejudices, perhaps I should reengage my brain. Rather than founder on the reef of stubbornness, maybe I need to reexamine the subject before I reenter this conversation.

[This message has been edited by EricJamesStone (edited July 23, 2003).]

Posts: 1517 | Registered: Jul 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Doc Brown
Member # 1118

- posted      Profile for Doc Brown   Email Doc Brown         Edit/Delete Post 
If the story takes place in a culture where this is common, they may have shortened it to "reducate." A generation later they might just call it "red."
Posts: 976 | Registered: May 2001  | Report this post to a Moderator
Lord Darkstorm
Member # 1610

I think I'm sold on re-educate. And since its a short story I'm going to leave it there. I like the idea of it changing to something shorter, but I am not sure it would fit the story as well.

So thanks for all of your ideas and opinions. Have to get it finished before next week.

Narvi
Member # 1376

- posted      Profile for Narvi   Email Narvi         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, for a government type office, through site:gov into the google search, and re-educate wins 365 to 173. A clear margin, but suggestive that the government doesn't have a standard.
Posts: 66 | Registered: Feb 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
mags
Member # 1570

- posted      Profile for mags   Email mags         Edit/Delete Post 
I have gotten to a point where I don't trust google searches for spelling, since often I can get hits with my wonderful sense of misspelling words.
Posts: 142 | Registered: Jan 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.