Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » *Publishing & So Forth*

Author Topic: *Publishing & So Forth*
Infyrno
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
Ok, I, as most of you most likely who have thus far paid attention to me must thoroughly understand, I am very new to writing. Professionally I mean. I have not yet had anything published and I have a few things that I think would have a chance. I was wondering if any of you could maybe enlighten my synapses and point me in the right direction in terms of the whole process it requires. Thanks in advance.

“'How dare you eat my snowflake you biznatch!' A Peetick, drunk on Jir and the very air he breathes, suction cupped himself to the Datheep, wormed his tentacles around him and began to aggressively pet his face whilst slurring the words: 'You’re pretty.'"

Vycye

| Report this post to a Moderator
James Maxey
Member # 1335

- posted      Profile for James Maxey   Email James Maxey         Edit/Delete Post 
What are you trying to publish and where would you like it to be published?

--James

Posts: 252 | Registered: Dec 2001  | Report this post to a Moderator
Balthasar
Member # 5399

- posted      Profile for Balthasar   Email Balthasar         Edit/Delete Post 
The basics.

First, you want to know something about how to prepare a manuscript. So go here: www.speculations.com/format.htm .

Second, you'll want to know something about how to submit a manuscript to a publisher. So go here: www.speculations.com/slush.htm .

Finally, you'll need to start studying the markets. So go here: www.ralan.com/ .

Posts: 130 | Registered: Apr 2007  | Report this post to a Moderator
Heresy
Member # 1629

- posted      Profile for Heresy   Email Heresy         Edit/Delete Post 
And if you want some people to read and critique your manuscript before you submit it to publishers, those requests go in the Fragments and Feedback forum. You post your request in there with the first 13 lines of your story, it's genre and an idea of length. People will respond if they're interested in getting the whole thing to read.
Posts: 293 | Registered: Apr 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
mags
Member # 1570

- posted      Profile for mags   Email mags         Edit/Delete Post 
all good suggestions.

I also want to stress how important it is to put the pages numbers on your manuscript. I had an editor tell me that he was amazed at how many people didn't think of that minor thing, which can really help in cases where pages get a little skattered, or misplaced as more files end up on someones desk.

Posts: 142 | Registered: Jan 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
srhowen
Member # 462

- posted      Profile for srhowen   Email srhowen         Edit/Delete Post 
short works or novel?

shawn

Posts: 1019 | Registered: Apr 2000  | Report this post to a Moderator
Infyrno
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, I had forgotten that I had asked this. Man, thanks for all the suggestions. What I want to publish (and I know there isn't much of a chance at doing so) is an epic/tragedy. It's this seven or eight page poem about... well I won't get into that. It is irrelavent as to the discussion.

I also have a novel that I am not quite done with just yet that (once completed) shall be no less than 500 pages and no more than 700. Genre is (hard-core crazy) SF/Fantasy. This story has been my main focus for quite a few years now and I have poured tons and tons of thought into it and (I know how insane this sounds but it's true) I have written the backbone of an entire language for it because it is spoken throughout the story. I just don't see how so much work, though could pay off as I have not, thus far been so inclined to start searching for the information needed.

I was trying desparately to find information, but I seem to have been cursed with a solid and complete inability to effectively find things that I am looking for online. I hate Google and will to my very dying day. lol

Yeah, I am not sure as to whether or not any of this info makes any difference, whatsoever but if it does, I'd apreciate any more imput.

"Peloo stuttered and blinked. 'Duh!'”

Vycye

| Report this post to a Moderator
Lord Darkstorm
Member # 1610

- posted      Profile for Lord Darkstorm   Email Lord Darkstorm         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I have read a couple of your stories. And while the ideas are good, your POV is not always consistant. I think that will be one of the first things that will hinder you. The other thing I noticed was the detail. You have allot, and often times too much. Now being able to describe something well is a good thing, but overdoing it will bore the reader.

So you have a good start, now you just have to smooth it out some. I know that my writing improved once I started looking at what I was doing as much as what I was trying to do. I still have a long way to go, but I am having lots of fun learning.

I discovered one of my coworkers who primarily reads political junk, not really into scifi/fantasy. He is my initial testing person to see if I have something half decent or not. If he likes it then it usually only requires a bit of revision to get it clear. If he doesn't then I usually pick through it much harder since something is wrong. So if you get someone who is not an avid scifi/fantasy reader to read your work and comment honestly on it it will give you some idea of how close you are getting.

One of my other friends who does read allot of scifi/fantasy often times likes most of my stuff even when it isn't that good. Those people who do read it allot will give you more leeway without saying anything.

Just a few things I've noticed...

Posts: 807 | Registered: Mar 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
MaryRobinette
Member # 1680

- posted      Profile for MaryRobinette   Email MaryRobinette         Edit/Delete Post 
I joined one of the writing groups here and its been very, very helpful. I also do what Lord Darkstorm does, sortof, and run things through my dad. He's a computer programmer and gives me feedback like "Well, why didn't they just..." or "Wasn't he doing this and now he's doing that? How come?" or "I got really confused here."

He's my debugger.

Posts: 2022 | Registered: Jul 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.