Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » That's no moon, it's Mars

Author Topic: That's no moon, it's Mars
Bene_Gesserit
Member # 1675

- posted      Profile for Bene_Gesserit   Email Bene_Gesserit         Edit/Delete Post 
Never again in your (or my) lifetime will the Red Planet be so spectacular. This month and next, Earth is catching up with Mars, an encounter that will culminate in the closest approach between the two planets in recorded history. The next time Mars may come this close is in 2287. Due to the way Jupiter's gravity tugs on Mars and perturbs its orbit, astronomers can only be certain that Mars has not come this close to Earth in the last 5,000 years but it may be as long as 60,000 years. The encounter will culminate on August 27th when Mars comes to within 34,649,589 miles and will be (next to the moon) the brightest object in the night sky. It will attain a magnitude of -2.9 and will appear 25.11 arc seconds wide. At a modest 75-power magnification, Mars will look as large as the full moon to the naked eye.

Mars will be easy to spot. At the beginning of August Mars will rise in the east at 10 p.m. and reach its azimuth at about 3 a.m. But by the end of August when the two planets are closest, Mars will rise at nightfall and reach its highest point in the sky at 12:30 a.m. That's pretty convenient when it comes to seeing something that no human has seen in recorded history.

So, mark your calendar at the beginning of August to see Mars grow progressively brighter and brighter throughout the month. No one alive today will ever see this again.

Posts: 110 | Registered: Jul 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Maccabeus
Member # 1369

- posted      Profile for Maccabeus   Email Maccabeus         Edit/Delete Post 
Dang it, I work nights!!!
Posts: 55 | Registered: Feb 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
mags
Member # 1570

- posted      Profile for mags   Email mags         Edit/Delete Post 
this is soooo amazingly cool. thanks for sharing it.
Posts: 142 | Registered: Jan 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Goober
Member # 506

- posted      Profile for Goober   Email Goober         Edit/Delete Post 
Maccabeus, take a "lunch" break or something.

August 27th? I will be on campus. Stupid lights everywhere near the city. I think Mars should be bright enough though. I should find my telescope the weekend before. Its around someplace I am sure...not sure if it will help much though heh, I think its more of a moon thing.

Thanks for letting us know. I hate missing once in a lifetime chances like this. Everyone always tells me "oh did you see the moon reverse directions last night!" and stuff. I am ALWAYS a day late.

Posts: 614 | Registered: May 2000  | Report this post to a Moderator
Maccabeus
Member # 1369

I am effectively "locked in" when at work. I can open the door, but an alarm will sound and lots of cars with pretty red and blue flashing lights will come to see what is the matter.

Fortunately I do not work every night.

Goober
Member # 506

- posted      Profile for Goober   Email Goober         Edit/Delete Post 
What do you work like IN PRISON or something?!
Posts: 614 | Registered: May 2000  | Report this post to a Moderator
cvgurau
Member # 1345

- posted      Profile for cvgurau   Email cvgurau         Edit/Delete Post 
I've been seeing it for weeks without knowing what it was. I thought it was an exceptionally bright sattelite. Hm. Now I know. THanks, bene.
Posts: 552 | Registered: Jan 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
Maccabeus
Member # 1369

No, as a matter of fact I am a night janitor at Cracker Barrel. I suppose the alarm is for my protection.
Nexus Capacitor
Member # 1694

- posted      Profile for Nexus Capacitor   Email Nexus Capacitor         Edit/Delete Post 
That's a lot like prison, actually.
Posts: 144 | Registered: Jul 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Kolona
Member # 1438

- posted      Profile for Kolona   Email Kolona         Edit/Delete Post 
Not according to my grandson. But that's only because Cracker Barrel sells wobots. (That's a SF comment, right? )
Posts: 1810 | Registered: Jun 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
AndrewR
Member # 1563

- posted      Profile for AndrewR   Email AndrewR         Edit/Delete Post 
So this is the closest Mars has been in the last 5000 to 60,000 years, huh? And the closest it will be for the next 280 years?

If anyone notices a series of bright flashes on the surface of Mars, please let me know immediately.

Posts: 180 | Registered: Jan 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Maccabeus
Member # 1369

I saw it tonight! (Last night was cloudy.) At least I assume it's that bright star next to the moon that I can see even through streetlight glare. I can even see the red color, which is unusual for me--I can't usually make out star colors.

Anyone got a telescope, or even a good strong pair of field glasses?

mags
Member # 1570

I'm going to be in Maui when Mars is at its apex... but yes, my dad has a telescope with a camera attachment. So my parents have offered to loan it to my husband while I'm writing, writing, writing.
cvgurau
Member # 1345

- posted      Profile for cvgurau   Email cvgurau         Edit/Delete Post 
Mags, if your husband is going to be taking pictures, you simply have to send some to me. I've only seen it with my naked eye, and it's not much. I tried using binoculars, but it didn't help.

Oh well.

Chris

Posts: 552 | Registered: Jan 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
Kolona
Member # 1438

Mags, will you be joining Marianne at the Maui Writer's Conference?
mags
Member # 1570

Yep, at the retreat and conference. Though as I recall we are taking different tracts at the retreat. - but looking at the schedule, there are lots of opportunities for us to run into each other.

Re: Mars -- Yesterday at Fry's I picked up a flier in which they are trying to get people to buy Celestron Telescopes. - it states that "Mars will be at its closest to Earth on August 27th, 2003 at 2:51am Pacific daylight time (9:51 Universal Time). / Opposition occurs on August 28th, 2003 at 11:00am Pacific daylight time (18:00 Universal Time) / Best observing is from 10PM to 2AM on August 26th, 27th, and 28th."

Marianne
Member # 1546

- posted      Profile for Marianne   Email Marianne         Edit/Delete Post 
Mags, what tract are you taking? Are you staying at the Marriott? I am at a condo down the beach. Let's plan on having lunch one day.
Posts: 173 | Registered: Dec 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
mags
Member # 1570

Marianne,

Yes, I'm at the Marriott - getting in on the 21st. Having looked at the schedule, I'm sure that we will have more than a few chances to get together for lunch.

I'm taking the Science Fiction tract. - I just kept watching them move the price deadline out, so I'm wondering how small the classes are really going to be.

Marianne
Member # 1546

- posted      Profile for Marianne   Email Marianne         Edit/Delete Post 
I will be looking for ya
Posts: 173 | Registered: Dec 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
Kolona
Member # 1438

While we're at it, anyone going to the Columbus, Ohio writer's conference this coming weekend?
Bene_Gesserit
Member # 1675

- posted      Profile for Bene_Gesserit   Email Bene_Gesserit         Edit/Delete Post 
On the west coast, northern California anyway, Mars appears about 10PM in the Southeast sky. It is close enough to appear red.
Posts: 110 | Registered: Jul 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.