Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » I don't get it...

Author Topic: I don't get it...
cvgurau
Member # 1345

- posted      Profile for cvgurau   Email cvgurau         Edit/Delete Post 
Why post pieces of Walking on Water here on Hatrack? Will people buy the book if they've already read it here? Or is he only going to post the first few chapters to entice readers.

Chris

Edited to add: yeah, having given it some more thought, that second option seems infinitely more plausible. O well.

[This message has been edited by cvgurau (edited August 29, 2003).]

Posts: 552 | Registered: Jan 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
Narvi
Member # 1376

- posted      Profile for Narvi   Email Narvi         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, OSC is planning to stop about 1/3 of the way through Crystal City. It says so right on the front page:
quote:

"Walking on Water" is the first third of The Crystal City, the penultimate novel in the Tales of Alvin Maker.

OTOH, putting up the whole thing might increase sales even more. It's worked for other authors.

Posts: 66 | Registered: Feb 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
cvgurau
Member # 1345

- posted      Profile for cvgurau   Email cvgurau         Edit/Delete Post 
*smacks head*

Riiiiiiigggghht.

Posts: 552 | Registered: Jan 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
Alias
Member # 1645

- posted      Profile for Alias           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
OTOH, putting up the whole thing might increase sales even more. It's worked for other authors.

Actually, it might. If I were to read 1/3 of a book and at that point am interested in it, I don't ultimately know if I like the book. I will then proceed to get it from the library afterwards I will decide and if I like the book enough, I will purchase it.

Posts: 295 | Registered: May 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
MaryRobinette
Member # 1680

- posted      Profile for MaryRobinette   Email MaryRobinette         Edit/Delete Post 
Does anyone know if "Crystal City" is actually the second to last book in the series or has the unthinkable happened and they are misusing "penultimate"?

Posts: 2022 | Registered: Jul 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
EricJamesStone
Member # 1681

- posted      Profile for EricJamesStone   Email EricJamesStone         Edit/Delete Post 
It's the second-to-last book in the series. I think OSC said the last one would be called Master Alvin.
Posts: 1517 | Registered: Jul 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
MaryRobinette
Member # 1680

- posted      Profile for MaryRobinette   Email MaryRobinette         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, thank heavens.
Posts: 2022 | Registered: Jul 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Jules
Member # 1658

- posted      Profile for Jules   Email Jules         Edit/Delete Post 
Actually, its a good point about increasing sales. I've not read any of the Alvin Maker books at all. I have a lot to read, so haven't specifically prioritised them; I'll probably buy copies if I see them 2nd hand.

If, say, the first book in the series was available to download, I might read that, and if it hooked me I would then go out and buy the rest of the series, probably even the first one as well. (On the subject of Baen books, that's what I did with the Honor Harrington series...)

Posts: 626 | Registered: Jun 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.