Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » On-line class?

Author Topic: On-line class?
punahougirl84
Member # 1731

- posted      Profile for punahougirl84   Email punahougirl84         Edit/Delete Post 
I am considering taking a writing class, and my best option I think is to take one on-line. Does anyone have one to recommend? It would help if it did not cost the world, and had some flexibility in deadlines.

Also... would you recommend that an aspiring writer take a class in grammar first, or could such a person jump right into creative writing, or even genre writing?

Thanks!

Posts: 465 | Registered: Aug 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
EricJamesStone
Member # 1681

- posted      Profile for EricJamesStone   Email EricJamesStone         Edit/Delete Post 
I've been taking an online class that I feel has helped me a lot.

The teacher has just begun sending out a free weekly newsletter with writing lessons. You could subscribe to that, and if you like it, then you could sign up for his next online class.

E-mail calebwarnock (at) yahoo.com, and ask to receive his newsletter.

As for taking a grammar class first, there's no need to do so.

Posts: 1517 | Registered: Jul 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
punahougirl84
Member # 1731

- posted      Profile for punahougirl84   Email punahougirl84         Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you! - I did send an e-mail, and got a very helpful reply, along with the most recent newsletter. The newsletter appears to be a great resource for beginning writers, and the current discussion of writers workgroups was thought-provoking. I believe I probably will try his class - the format and topics work for me.
Posts: 465 | Registered: Aug 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
jiuyen
Member # 1730

- posted      Profile for jiuyen   Email jiuyen         Edit/Delete Post 
I would be careful about online classes. As with classes given in person, quality may vary.

I recently took (and quit) an online writing class. The entire course basically consisited of three things:

1. Essays by the instructor

2. Silly quizzes designed to see if you read the essays

3. Writing forums in which posting work is "optional." I posted several pieces and always received the same general and not very helpful feedback, such as "nice job" or "good story."

I'd be interested to hear if anyone has had personal experiences with classes that they'd recommend?

Posts: 13 | Registered: Aug 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.