Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Avoid this mistake:

Author Topic: Avoid this mistake:
pickled shuttlecock
Member # 1714

- posted      Profile for pickled shuttlecock           Edit/Delete Post 
Don't give your characters boring names with the assumption that you can always change them later.

I just tried to change the name of one of my major characters, and I found that I couldn't do it and continue writing about him. It was like I was suddenly writing about someone else.

Anyway, FYI. YMMV. IMNSHO, it shouldn't be done. I shouldn't, at least.

Posts: 84 | Registered: Aug 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
cvgurau
Member # 1345

- posted      Profile for cvgurau   Email cvgurau         Edit/Delete Post 
YMMV?

Posts: 552 | Registered: Jan 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
pickled shuttlecock
Member # 1714

- posted      Profile for pickled shuttlecock           Edit/Delete Post 
Your mileage may vary.
Posts: 84 | Registered: Aug 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
srhowen
Member # 462

- posted      Profile for srhowen   Email srhowen         Edit/Delete Post 
I did that once--not gave a boring name but in a second book I named a character--then got to a scene where a character came from the first book and their names were so close together that I had to change one or the other. I changed the new character's name--but--

not until I was done with the second book.

Put the characters boring name back then when you are done do a search and replace.

Shawn

Posts: 1019 | Registered: Apr 2000  | Report this post to a Moderator
Alias
Member # 1645

- posted      Profile for Alias           Edit/Delete Post 
I think it's a sign you have a very good character if he/she has a specific name that glues to them. It's like meeting people in real life, your friend David when you frist met him could have told you his name was Todd. But now that you know him any other name than David, including Todd, would definitely seem out of place.

At least for a while, but I am equally convinced that after sufficient time Todd would seem more natural and David would seem odd. I think it's just part of human nature to grow accustomed to something and not want to change it.

Posts: 295 | Registered: May 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
nellievrolyk
Member # 1616

- posted      Profile for nellievrolyk   Email nellievrolyk         Edit/Delete Post 
I've done the very thing you warn about in the novel I'm working on. I gave one of my two protagonists what was supposed to be a temporary name while I thought of a better one. Now he doesn't want any other name than the one I had given him.
Posts: 55 | Registered: Mar 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

- posted      Profile for Survivor   Email Survivor         Edit/Delete Post 
It can be surprising the degree to which the actions, thoughts, and character of a character, let alone the reactions and perceptions of other characters and the readers, can all depend on that character's name.

But even leaving that aside, a character's name tells you a lot about background, culture, personality, and all manner of things. Richard, Skip, Dick, Rick, Richie, and El Montoban are all variations of the same given name, and which one a character is called by (as well as which he--or she --prefers) tells you a great deal about him (I was just kidding about the her part).

So, even though it can be surprising, it really shouldn't take us by surprise, eh?

Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  | Report this post to a Moderator
Christine
Member # 1646

- posted      Profile for Christine   Email Christine         Edit/Delete Post 
You're all so right, names are very important!

I've been working on a story line for fifteen years, ever since I was 11. At the time I didn't think about all the rules for naming that I've learned now, like the fact that people will associate the character with certain cultures based entirely on their names. So when I learned all this I tried to go bak and rename some of my main characters. I had fallen completely out of love with the name Allison anyway. But I just couldn't! Furthermore, I haven't and I won't. In the end the names of these main characters may be all that the finished story has in common with the original two page thing I came up with in sixth grade but it just goes to the point of how much names matter, and right up front.

Posts: 3567 | Registered: May 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
MaryRobinette
Member # 1680

- posted      Profile for MaryRobinette   Email MaryRobinette         Edit/Delete Post 
I've changed characters names before, when I realized that four of my nine characters had names beginning with 'M'. I tried to find names that had similar properties to the one that I had chosen originally. One of the characters wouldn't change, so I waited to the end and did a find/replace. Now the new name is fine.
Posts: 2022 | Registered: Jul 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
mags
Member # 1570

- posted      Profile for mags   Email mags         Edit/Delete Post 
something that I was recently warned against is using common names. The reason being that people will have images in their mind of a character with that name... and although this could work for you, it is more likely to work against you. - not to say you should never name a character "Jane", but be aware that if you put "Dick" in the story also, people are going to go back to first grade.
Posts: 142 | Registered: Jan 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.