Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » “Literary” vs. “Genera” Fiction (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: “Literary” vs. “Genera” Fiction
Balthasar
Member # 5399

- posted      Profile for Balthasar   Email Balthasar         Edit/Delete Post 
Now that folks over at the National Book Award have decided to give Stephen King the lifetime achievement award, it’s a good time to discuss literary and genre fiction.

The first question: “What’s the difference?” I would love to say there is no difference, but that would be a farce.

On the one hand, categorizing fiction make sense. There are simply different kinds of stories. Some stories are about solving a crime. Other stories are about ghouls and goblins. And other stories have to do with space travel. Why not clump similar stories together and give them a name? Additionally, most readers like certain kinds of stories, and most authors usually write those kinds of stories they grew up liking. I doubt at 25 an author would say, “Though I’ve never read a mystery before, I think I’m going to write mystery now.” A broad category helps both author and reader find the books like to write and read. And as long as we recognize a genre is, in a sense, self-defining, then the idea of genre, if not a healthy concept, is at least innocuous.

On the other hand, the notion of categorizing fiction is very dangerous. It boxes in both the author and the reader as well as creates unnecessary stereotypes. Stephen King, for example, is known as a horror author, though he has written several science fiction and fantasy novels. If a reader reads a particularly genre (say, SF) and discovers that he or she doesn’t like it, they are unlikely to return to that genre, believing, unfortunately, that SF stories are carbon copies. A person may never again read SF because, after reading Niven, they believe all SF is like Niven.

Enough for “genre.” What deems a story, novella, or novel “literature”? If we’re speaking of the kind of literature one reads in college, then we have at least the consensus of people and time. People throughout the ages have recognized that Homer, Shakespeare, and Dickens are worth reading. Just as it is unjust of a reader to read Niven and dismiss SF altogether, it is unjust to read George Elliot and dismiss “literature” altogether.

If we say that literature is a genre comparable to SF or mystery (It seems to me that this is what most people are saying when they speak of “literature”—it is another genre) we have a bigger problem on our hands. The word “literature,” for most people, connotes quality. A genre reader will often humbly admit that he or she hasn’t the intelligence to read or understand literature. (This is a sad sentiment, probably left over from high school English classes, taught by teachers that don’t understand the basics of storytelling.) And if “literature” connotes quality, a story doesn’t fall into this genre isn’t a quality story.

I find this conclusion to be reprehensible. The fact is that in every genre—even in the “genre” of literature—there are bad, good, and great authors. A bad author is an author who can’t write clear and lucid sentences, who can’t tell a coherent and meaningful story. We can find these kind of authors in every field, but most of them nowadays seems to reside in the “literature” genre. For whatever reason, the more obscure the writing is, it is deemed all the more intellectual. But this notion shouldn’t compel us to say that all contemporary literature is bad. Sophists, i.e., false intellectuals, have been around since the time of Socrates. We live in an age where false intellectuals can be found in every field of endeavor. The best thing to do is to ignore them, because the Common Reader is ignoring them as well. If they want to read and think about bad stories, let them waste their time.

A good writer is a writer who can write clear and lucid prose and can tell a coherent story. They story may lack emotional, spiritual, or intellectual depth. That doesn’t mean the story is bad. If it means anything, it means that the story is pure entertainment. That isn’t bad. Its fulfilling a purpose—namely, to help people escape from reality for a few hours and, as C.S. Lewis has noted, to bring mirth to people’s lives. If that’s not a good thing, I don’t know what is.

A great writer—or a great book—has several qualities. The writing is not only clear and lucid; it also elegant and graceful. It has emotion, spiritual, and intellectual depth. But all of these are, really, intangibles. What makes writing elegant and graceful? What is the requirement for emotion, spiritual, and intellectual depth? The question that has passed on this board—“What makes a book great?”—is, in a sense, an unanswerable question. On the objective level, a book is great if a number of people over a number of years find in a book emotional, spiritual, and intellectual depth. On the subjective level, a “great” book may do absolutely nothing for us; we may find it bland and unreadable. That doesn’t mean it’s not a great book; it’s just not a great book for us. This distinction is often overlooked, but it shouldn’t be. Reading is a highly subjective endeavor, and, if I’m a careful and thoughtful reader, who has the right to tell me what I should or should not like?

One of my points in all of this is that I disdain the modern-day sophists who dismiss a writer like Stephen King as a hack when, if the truth be told, they have probably never read a word he’s written. I also disdain “genre readers” (some of whom are members of Hatrack) who dismiss “literature” as pretentious drivel when, if the truth be told, they haven’t read a word those authors have written.

If we’re going to be honest readers, we have to forget that there are genres. The only legitimate category is fiction, and within this vast realm of fiction we can find quality authors who tell deep and meaningful stories who happen to write about vampires, or space ships, or crime, or family and social matters. We can also find hacks who imitate the great authors. And we can find good and solid entertainment that brings mirth, escape, and excitement to our otherwise ordinary lives.

There, I’m done pontificating.

Posts: 130 | Registered: Apr 2007  | Report this post to a Moderator
Lord Darkstorm
Member # 1610

- posted      Profile for Lord Darkstorm   Email Lord Darkstorm         Edit/Delete Post 
So what you are saying is that you dislike the fact that fantasy and scifi is grouped in one section in the book store. I can agree that it has some negative aspects, but look at it from the perspective of one of your "genre readers".

I read fantasy and scifi all the time. This is a choice I make for myself. It is not that I feel no other form of fiction is any good, it is that I live in a real world with real problems. When I open a book I want more than just a story, I want something that will make me think, or see situations from a different perspective, and at the same time I want to be entertained.

I have read some standard fiction which did not give me the same enjoyment as fantasy/scifi does. So if I go to a book store and head strait for the fantasy/scifi section that is my choice. It makes it easier for me to find books that are my preferred type of reading. To me this far outweighs the negative aspects. I would hate to search 20 shelves of books to see what I might like to read when I can have four or five to go through.

While I do not disagree that classifying books can have bad points, it does have quite a few positive aspects for those of us that are looking for that style of writing. I have read hundreds of fantasy and scifi books over the years and I know that there are good and bad books out there. But that does not discourage me from going back.

I have watched many movie critics that would rip a good scifi movie to shreds while follow with a raving review of a drama movie which looks like it would only serve as a good sleeping aid. Different people have different views of what is "good" and what is enjoyable. If I only listened to the people who love drama I would probably give up movies all together.

I remember reading a note Lary Nivnen wrote in his one fantasy book. He specified that he had a problem writing fantasy because he had a hard time with the concept of magic. This makes lots of sense if you realize that people read what is most acceptable to them as an individual. For those of us that find the real world dull and boring we might turn to fantasy/scifi/horror to get a look at something other than normal. Most respected fiction tends to stick to reality regardless of its quality as a story I would still find it dull and boring. Give me the magic, and the space travel, the new worlds full of the unknown and different, that is what makes me happy.

So a "Genre" has a few negatives, it also has for me many positives.

I am not truly disagreeing with you, I just want to point out some people like the classifications which makes my time at the bookstore far shorter.

Posts: 807 | Registered: Mar 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Christine
Member # 1646

- posted      Profile for Christine   Email Christine         Edit/Delete Post 
I was not exactly sure what you were trying to say, Balthasar, but I think I get the idea. You want people to be reocgnized for good/great writing regardless of genre?

I agree, but at the same time I have to say that it is a little naive to expect this to happen, for the very reasons that Lord Darkstorm pointed out.

A few people like books of all genres. More people like books of several different genres. But an awful lot of people are very limited in the scope of what they read. Most hard core scifi/fantasy readers I know won't touch "literature" or whatever you want to call it. (I'm just talking fiction categories, most scifi and particularly fantasy readers I know also like to read some nonfiction topics.) Heck, some of them won't cross from sci/fi over to fantasy!

The truth is that while a great writer is a great writer no matter what genre, if he (or she) is a sicence fiction writer my mother will never know about him. If I give her a book written by a great scifi author and force her to read it she still won't like it, even if she might see some strength in his writing style. Conversely, I can't stand Charles Dickens though many people regard him as a great writer.

I almost think literary award have to be sorted by genre. A panel of judges cannot possibly be unbiased enough to recognize those points you mentioned Balthasar, as true as they may be. If I want to read about aliens I will like that book better no matter the writing.

Posts: 3567 | Registered: May 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Kolona
Member # 1438

- posted      Profile for Kolona   Email Kolona         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
So if I go to a book store and head strait for the fantasy/scifi section that is my choice. It makes it easier for me to find books that are my preferred type of reading.

I kind of like the way the library shelves fiction (at least the library here). All the fiction is lumped together alphabetically, but the spines have little picture labels that designate the genre. I've read some books I may not have done otherwise simply because the titles were there, basically, but I have no problem finding SF, either. I'm not sure that would be workable for bookstores, but it might be a boon for authors to get a wider audience.

Posts: 1810 | Registered: Jun 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
EricJamesStone
Member # 1681

- posted      Profile for EricJamesStone   Email EricJamesStone         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
If we’re going to be honest readers, we have to forget that there are genres. The only legitimate category is fiction, and within this vast realm of fiction we can find quality authors who tell deep and meaningful stories who happen to write about vampires, or space ships, or crime, or family and social matters. We can also find hacks who imitate the great authors. And we can find good and solid entertainment that brings mirth, escape, and excitement to our otherwise ordinary lives.

And how will we find them?

Since we (as honest readers) have fogotten about genres, we must now wade through a lot of books we don't like in the search for those we do. If we enjoy books that involve a detective solving a crime, we have to read a lot of back covers that say things like "When he was banished by the corrupt Elven king, Grisselwort had no idea that he was starting a journey that would lead him to the Spatula of Ultimate Power..." or "When the handsome, mysterious man with an intriguing foreign accent and ice-blue eyes that seemed to pierce to the very heart of Heather's soul..." or "CIA analyst Mack Errol is the only one who believes the North Koreans are planning an attack on Pearl Harbor..." or "The old Gibson mansion had been abandoned for more than forty years before the Dusenberys bought it from the strangely pale real estate agent..." before finally getting to "Trailing another philandering spouse was all in a day's work for Dick Diamond, until the spouse ended up in the bay with two bullets in her head..."

Genres are a convenient shortcut to help us find books similar to those we like. The more specific the classification, the more useful it is. That's one reason why I love browsing for books on Amazon.com: they have more specific genre classifications than brick-n-mortar bookstores.

Posts: 1517 | Registered: Jul 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
Just to clarify things a bit (at least, I hope that is what this post will do), you all are talking about three different things.

First of all, there are what are actually called "marketing categories" and those are the groupings of kinds of books for publishing catalogs and for placement in bookstores and libraries (if the bookstore or library so chooses). Science fiction, mysteries, historicals, romances, westerns, and mainstream are all marketing categories.

Second, there is the division between popular fiction and literary or academic fiction (as if literary or academic fiction can't be popular, too, and vice versa).

Finally, there is genre, which has come to refer to either of the above groupings, but originally referred to types of writing--as in prose vs poetry, or short story vs novel, fiction vs nonfiction, or personal essay vs book review.

Any of these groupings can become positions (comfort zones, perhaps?) from which writers and readers have been known to sneer at those in some other group.

And yet, the distinctions all have worth and can be useful. I don't think Balthasar was suggesting that we get rid of the distinctions entirely. I really think he was urging people to consider leaving their own comfort zones and trying to learn from what is good about the writing in some other group.

If he wasn't, then I am.

Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  | Report this post to a Moderator
Lord Darkstorm
Member # 1610

- posted      Profile for Lord Darkstorm   Email Lord Darkstorm         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I really think he was urging people to consider leaving their own comfort zones and trying to learn from what is good about the writing in some other group.

I did get this concept, but some of us (I am) are very stuborn in what we like. I got a good taste of the standard fiction in high school and the liturature clases in college. Quite honestly I found fantasy and scifi what I enjoy and what I prefer.

Now I would like to see scifi and fantasy grouped in the best seller lists against normal fiction. That would be a boundry I would greatly like to see removed.

Survivor
Member # 213

- posted      Profile for Survivor   Email Survivor         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, but the people that control the best seller lists don't want to compare their "literary" stuff against "hack" SF and Fantasy (I don't like Fantasy as a genre myself).

I think that the best thing would be to group works by authors, in chronological order. But that isn't the way that most bookstores find it easy to sell a lot of books. They find that people that read a lot of SF tend to pick up other SF books, and people that read Tanks/Weapons/Uniforms/etc. of the Third Reich tend to read other books about Nazi Germany. So they sell them that way.

I tend to read works by authors that I enjoy, regardless of genre (I even read a romance novel once, though it was more the comedic variety than torrid sort). I read several of the Aeul books before she finally turned me off (see torrid) and I found that most books in that catagory imitated only the elements that I found most annoying. Almost all the new writers that I learn to enjoy have written one or two outstanding SF books, which is how I usually first hear about them (this probably means that SF is the most competative genre in which to write, but I can't help it).

So, I'm glad there's an SF genre, and I'm glad that modern advances in indexing and so forth allow me to look up other books and works by an author I like.

I'm not glad that literary snobs exist, but what can you do? I'd rather not start a jihad over it (okay, this isn't precisely true--I'm just morally prohibited from starting a jihad, for the time being).

Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  | Report this post to a Moderator
EricJamesStone
Member # 1681

- posted      Profile for EricJamesStone   Email EricJamesStone         Edit/Delete Post 
I am glad there are literary snobs, because if there weren't any, I'd have to find someone else to sneer at.
Posts: 1517 | Registered: Jul 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Lord Darkstorm
Member # 1610

quote:

Yeah, but the people that control the best seller lists don't want to compare their "literary" stuff against "hack" SF and Fantasy (I don't like Fantasy as a genre myself).

Actually I would think some of scifi/fantasy would actually fair well against the "literary" fiction. I know I have been eagerly awaiting Salvator's next book. Anne McCaffrey does quite well also. I am sure there are a few more which would give the standard fiction writers more competition.

But since a best seller list is almost an equivalent to free advertising I doubt it would ever happen.

[This message has been edited by Lord Darkstorm (edited October 02, 2003).]

Survivor
Member # 213

Sorry I didn't state that more clearly. It's already been established (by someone or other, just maybe not on this thread) that even modestly selling SF and Fantasy leaves "literary" best sellers in the dust. It would be like having flyweights and superheavies in the same catagory...the flyweights would always get pounded.
Balthasar
Member # 5399

Rereading my original post and seeing the responses, I realized I did a poor job indicating the catalyst for my tirade. I hinted at my motive when I mentioned that Stephen King is going to receive the lifetime achievement award from the National Book Award. I’ve read several opinion-editorials about this—one of them being OSC’s comments—and I find them all quite disgusting. Some dismiss King because he doesn’t write “literature”—whatever that is. And others (like OSC) dismiss “literature” and pompous garbage. One thing I was trying to do (rather unsuccessfully, it seems) is to call attention to the fact that if by literature we mean “quality,” then we can’t speak of literature-as-genre. In all genres we’ll find quality fiction as well as bad fiction.

I am not implying that the classification of stories in to genre is inherently bad. As I said:

quote:
On the one hand, categorizing fiction make sense. There are simply different kinds of stories. Some stories are about solving a crime. Other stories are about ghouls and goblins. And other stories have to do with space travel. Why not clump similar stories together and give them a name? Additionally, most readers like certain kinds of stories, and most authors usually write those kinds of stories they grew up liking. I doubt at 25 an author would say, “Though I’ve never read a mystery before, I think I’m going to write mystery now.” A broad category helps both author and reader find the books like to write and read. And as long as we recognize a genre is, in a sense, self-defining, then the idea of genre, if not a healthy concept, is at least innocuous.

However, if we take genre too seriously, it has the potential to be bad:
quote:
On the other hand, the notion of categorizing fiction is very dangerous. It boxes in both the author and the reader as well as creates unnecessary stereotypes. Stephen King, for example, is known as a horror author, though he has written several science fiction and fantasy novels. If a reader reads a particular genre (say, SF) and discovers that he or she doesn’t like it, they are unlikely to return to that genre, believing, unfortunately, that SF stories are carbon copies. A person may never again read SF because, after reading Niven, they believe all SF is like Niven.

My wife is one of these people. She has seen a few bad SF movies and has (wrongfully!) dismissed the genre altogether.

One of my points—directed toward the Hatrack society—is that the same thing can happen in regard to literature. We get a bad taste for “literature-as-genre” because of high school or college English classes, or because someone like Jonathan Franzen likes to think that his work isn’t “mainstream,” but, rather, “highminded.” But that doesn’t mean that all “literature-as-genre” is bad, nor does it even mean that Franzen’s novel, The Corrections, is bad. Just because we’ve tried Hemingway and found that he doesn’t do anything for us, that doesn’t mean we should dismiss William Faulkner, James Joyce, Flannery O’Connor, Saul Bellow, William Gass, or any other 20th-century literary author.

Kathleen accurately summarized my point:

quote:
I don't think Balthasar was suggesting that we get rid of the distinctions entirely. I really think he was urging people to consider leaving their own comfort zones and trying to learn from what is good about the writing in some other group.

The honest reader recognizes that distinctions are necessary, but he won’t allow those distinctions to control his reading habits. He won’t dismiss King, or Dickens, or Asimov, or Clancy, because they write a certain kind of book. The honest reader won’t say something like...
quote:
I am glad there are literary snobs, because if there weren't any, I'd have to find someone else to sneer at.

...and mean it. The knife cuts both ways: There are genre snobs, too. I once mentioned Tolstoy on this board, and some member responded, “Who understands Russian literature anyway?” Well, a lot people don’t understand Russian literature, and a lot of people do. But only a complete idiot would dismiss a country’s fiction with a sweeping of the hand like that. I agree with Survivor—I wish literary snobs didn’t exist. It might make literature-as-genre more accessible to people. (By the way, SF authors have the reputation by the general public as being snobs, too.)

This does not mean that we won’t have likes and dislikes. There comes a time when we have to choose how we’re going to spend our reading time. If I’m handed a mystery and a piece of literature, chances are I’ll take the piece of literature. That not because I think mystery is a genre for hacks; it means that from my previous reading I found that I prefer literature over mystery. How many academics and literary critics will spend the time reading OSC or Stephen King as carefully as they do other writers? And how many people here on Hatract would give a piece of literature—say, Faulkner’s Light in August—serious attention?

[This message has been edited by Balthasar (edited October 02, 2003).]

Christine
Member # 1646

Thank you for clarifying, Balthasar. And you're absolutely correct.

I've read books from several different genres. I find that my problem is that I get into moods. I get into a mood for scifi that eliminates everything else including fantasy sometimes. But after a few months I get in the mood for a mystery or even (shameful secret) romance.

But your point is well taken. As writers in particular we should be familiar with what makes a good story cross genre. Especially since science fiction and fantasy often contains elements of other types of fiction. For example, a good mystery is a good mystery whether set in modern times or future times. Having seen very few good scifi mysteries, if I want to write one I will actually need to go to the mystery genre to learn. (And this is something I intend to do one day.)

Scifi and fantasy are somewhat bad at romance at the moment too. If you want to learn how to forge a bond between two people in your story it would be good to go look at some of the romance out there. Not the Harlequin stuff either, the good quality stuff. Believe it or not it exists.

So yes, people become snobbish in their own genres and, in fact, the genre suffers for it.

Marianne
Member # 1546

- posted      Profile for Marianne   Email Marianne         Edit/Delete Post 
I love Faulkner. Actually, I believe him to be the greatest writer since Shakespeare.

Terry Brooks' last assignment to us when we left the retreat was to read a book from a genre we would never read. He said as writers we need to always expand our world and be looking for ideas. If you only read hard Science Fiction then your writing will be like all other writer's of hard Science Fiction. He said the best places he gets ideas for his books is in reading novels from genres outside of Fantasy fiction.

I believe that, as writers we always need to be willing to be stretched.

Also, I see novels by Fantasy, Horror and Science Fiction writers on the Best Seller list all the time. These are the writers that are commercially successful. It doesn't mean it is a great book or that they are great writers. Best Sellers are just that...they sell.

Posts: 173 | Registered: Dec 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
Nexus Capacitor
Member # 1694

- posted      Profile for Nexus Capacitor   Email Nexus Capacitor         Edit/Delete Post 
Strangely enough, I've been comparing Shakespeare and Steven King for years. Neither one is a particular favorite of mine (You may launch your attacks now), but they both struck a chord with the average reader (theatre-goer) of their time.

I think the same type of folks that sneer at King to day will call him a great master of literature 20 or so years after he's dead.

I don't think it's anything to get worked up about. Steven King seems to be doing alright for himself, save for the van-hitting incident. (I wonder if anyone ever hit shakespeare with an ox-cart...)

I guess I'll just be happy to get my novels finished, published and read. The critics, elitists or whatever you want call them are welcome to call me a hack who doesn't write "true literature." Because if they're paying enough attention to insult me, I'll be doing alright.

I hope this post doesn't come across as angry. It's really just a matter-of-fact description of how I believe the world works. Cynical is what I am, I suppose.

Posts: 144 | Registered: Jul 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Hildy9595
Member # 1489

- posted      Profile for Hildy9595   Email Hildy9595         Edit/Delete Post 
Timely posting, Balthasar...I just read an article on virtually the same subject in a recent issue of Writer's Digest. The author of the article (wisely, I think) points out that if folks who write genre fiction and folks who write literary would take time out from sniping at one another and instead learn from each other, both groups would benefit. Just because a story falls into a genre doesn't mean it cannot benefit from literary elements, and vice-versa.

1984 and Animal Farm come to mind as a great example of genre and literature coming together. I'm sure all of you can think of many more examples.

Posts: 338 | Registered: Aug 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
Lord Darkstorm
Member # 1610

Ok, now I am curious. So for those of you who enjoy "literary" fiction, just what does it have as far as story writing that is not to some degree put into fantasy/scifi? I read fairly often and have enjoyed many styles form very different authors. Some had elements of mystery, some suspence, some throw in romance, and other combine elements from several types of classifications.

If you have a person 10,000 years in the future, and he is solving a crime it is still a mystery. Does the fact it is not happening today in our current reality change what it is? Does the scifi lable wipe out the mystery lable? I do remember in the beginning of OSC's "Characters and Viewpoints" he points out the major story types. By his definitions the time and reality did not seem to be as important as what the writer is doing with the story.

I just want to know if there is something in other "literary" works that I am not going to find in the books I enjoy reading. I want to know what I am supposed to be missing.

Survivor
Member # 213

As I think I and several others have alluded to in this thread, and as OSC is very fond of noting whenever he has an opportunity to talk about genre, genre is entirely a description of how your book is going to be marketed.

It doesn't have squat to do with the quality of your story or the themes treated, but only with certain superficial aspects that even a marketing department can find in the text. Spaceships=SciFi, heaving bosoms(rather than breasts)=Romance, swords&magic=Fantasy, and so on and so forth.

"Literary" fiction is marketed to English departments and so forth, and is not supposed to be profitable, just as SF is marketed to techno-geeks and is not supposed to portray real relationships

If I choose to aim my story--no matter what the actual content of the text--solely at English departments, with notes describing the subtextual themes and so forth, and only accept publication in "literary" journals, then no matter how many spaceships I put in there it will be "literature". In fact, if you really want to look around the "literary" genre, there are plenty of stories where the spaceships/vampires/magic/elves/etc. are all symbolic, not because anything in the text necessarily makes that clear but because the publisher includes author's notes or a statement or something like that to make it clear that everything in the story is a symbol.

And there are plenty of SF stories full of deep questioning into the nature of the soul, and plenty of Romance that looks at the effect technology has on our lives, and plenty of Fantasy that really seems almost allegorical.

In short, literary fiction isn't actually different from genre fiction in any other sense than how and to whom it is marketed.

Lord Darkstorm
Member # 1610

I agree with you completely Survivor. I was just wondering if there was some form of writing in the "fiction" section that I could not find in a similar form in the fantasy/scifi section. I can appreciate that some "fiction" might go a bit deeper in a certain type of story, but I have seen most types in my prefered section of the bookstore.

If there is a good reason for me to try the plain fiction then I would like to know. Other than it lacks what I prefer to read (the fantasy/scifi aspect) I doubt I will agree.

It has been suggested to cross to other shelves for my reading. I was hoping someone would have a reason that would convince me.

Balthasar
Member # 5399

First, let me say that I disagree with Survivor that literature-as-genre is directed toward English departments. English departments may decide to put blinders on and neglect other genres, but that’s not always the case. I have a friend who has a Ph.D. from Penn in English (who now is a copywriter for an insurance company; he didn’t like teaching as much as he thought he was going to), but several of his old classmates teach in English departments that offer classes of SF. I do agree, however, with the notion that contemporary literature-as-genre displays a great deal of arrogance (i.e., Jonathan Franzen thinking his audience wasn’t Oprah’s audience), and the reason for this arrogance is that the authors themselves as well as their primary readers are sophists. They think they are deep and intelligent when they are not.

This is an unfortunate state for literature-as-genre. And I think because of it true and honest authors are not going to be part of this community. That’s sad. (If you want to read more about this, see John Gardner’s, On Moral Fiction.)

Now, let’s get to the question at hand:

quote:
So for those of you who enjoy "literary" fiction, just what does it have as far as story writing that is not to some degree put into fantasy/scifi?

This is a very difficult question to answer. On the one hand, you have clear-cut SF stories, such as Brave New World and 1984, that are going to be found in the literature-as-genre section. As far as I can tell, the placement of these books into the literature-as-genre category has to do with the fact that their authors are British, and somehow the British didn’t develop the snobbery towards literature as quickly as we did here in the states.

Another example—and this one isn’t SF—is Graham Greene. A lot of his stories are about crime, international intrigue, etc. But again, he’s British, and so you don’t find him next to Tom Clancy, but, rather, in the literature-as-genre section.

Now let’s take the case of an American author. Stephen King is a good one. He is known as a horror author, and rightly so: His few three books deal with a telepathic girl that destroys her school, vampires in a New England town, and a haunted hotel. But he has also written SF (The Stand, The Dead Zone, Firestarter, The Tommyknockers) and fantasy (Eyes of the Dragon, The Dark Tower series) as well as literature-as-genre (Shawshank Redemption, The Body/Stand By Me), but you’ll find every one of his works under horror. Once an author gets place somewhere, that’s where you’re going to find all of his or her works. This is why you have to look under literature-as-genre to find A Clockwork Orange, which is clearly a SF story.

Thus, any answer to this question must admit to a certain amount of ambiguity in circumscribing genres.

(Maybe one of the problems with contemporary literature-as-genre is that because they reject genre as the works of hacks, they aren’t really left much to work with, so they are, in essence, creating their own genre.)

At any rate, based on this discussion, I’m going to rephrase the question: Once you separate those works which, if they were first-time novels published today, would fall under a genre other than literature-as-genre, what is there about literature-as-genre stories that one finds enjoyable?

That’s something I’ve thought about, and I don’t know if I can give a good answer. The best answer I can give is this: Literature-as-genre stories are more concerned with the character than the event. In other words, it’s what happens to the character and how the character is affected throughout the story rather than the character finding himself in an exterior situation that he must resolve. I think OSC would call one a character-driven story and the other an event-driven story.

But this isn’t a hard and fast rule. The best event-driven stories are also character-driven stories. The Lord of the Rings or Ender’s Game are two examples. In fact, what separates The Lord of the Rings from most other heroic fantasy is that the characters are greatly changed by the events.

This difference with literature is that the Event is either totally absent or is put into the background. The difference between a John Grisham lawyer story and Harper Lee’s To Kill A Mockingbird is that Grisham would have made Atticus the main character and the thrust of the story would have been the trial. But for Harper Lee, the trial plays a small role in the story. The main character is a little girl, and the story's about how she is dramatically changed by events in which she is indirectly involved. Grisham would have ended the story perhaps with the funereal of Tom Robinson and with some kind of overt reference to the evils of prejudice. Lee, however, ends the story with Scout Finch standing on the porch of Boo Bradley seeing her world from a totally different point of view. It’s a subtle and powerful ending because that scene itself symbolizes what the whole novel is about.

This leads to another aspect of literature-as-genre: Theme. I want to avoid getting into a discussion about what a theme is, and even if a story should have a theme. I think it should, and I agree with Damon Knight, Stephen King, and John Gardner (very different authors) on the fact that the theme of a work must evolve out of the work itself. A piece of fiction is not an illustration of a theme, but, rather, the theme is the recognition that the events in a story have a collective meaning.

Genre fiction, for whatever reason, is not very thematic. Perhaps genre writers shy away from the notion of theme. Perhaps genre writers lack the philosophical acumen to understand the meaning of their story. Perhaps genre writers don’t give a shit about theme. I don’t know—each genre writer is different.

What I do know is that literature-as-genre authors care about theme. They understand that fiction is a way to understand the world and to communicate the verities of life (to paraphrase Faulkner). They understand that fiction has a certain way of thinking about the world, and they are not afraid to allow their fiction to think. But this isn’t peculiar to literature-as-genre authors; any quality story is going to have this element to it. Unfortunately, this aspect of literature-as-genre has been taken to an extreme by the literary sophists of today.

There’s my take on it, for what it’s worth. Literature-as-genre is a character-driven genre and a heavily thematic genre. I don’t know how true this is, but that’s they way I am seeing it right now. Who knows, I may change my mind sooner or later.

quote:
It has been suggested to cross to other shelves for my reading. I was hoping someone would have a reason that would convince me.

If you aspire to be a writer, then you’re doing yourself a disservice by not reading outside your genre. You’re not going to have the resources to write good stories in any genre because all you know is that genre. You need that critical interaction.

If you’re not a writer, then the best reason I can think for reading outside your genre is to broaden your mind and your understanding of the world.

[This message has been edited by Balthasar (edited October 03, 2003).]

Survivor
Member # 213

Cross to other shelves for your reading because all the best writers do it in their writing. Right now I'm writing a novel about vampires, set about thirty years in the future for a bit of a noir effect. Vampires in a noir future is not SF (as I recall). But this is a story that I want to tell. I have another story (on the shelf--meaning on my shelf of unfinished work, not meaning published ) in a fairly clear-cut fantasy setting, despite the fact that I dislike most Fantasy.

As a writer, you can't let the marketing department push you around. And as a reader you have no excuse for doing so. Tell 'em to stick their little catagories up their collective inputs and claim the whole store for your own. Fight the power, rage against the machine, cross the aisle.

Lord Darkstorm
Member # 1610

quote:
As a writer, you can't let the marketing department push you around. And as a reader you have no excuse for doing so. Tell 'em to stick their little catagories up their collective inputs and claim the whole store for your own. Fight the power, rage against the machine, cross the aisle.

I actually do not see the categories as a limitation to me. I rarely even pay attention to the hype of new books either. Since I usually have 4 or more books I want to read at any point in time I get books more at random than by any form of marketing. Friends who suggest books, new books by authors I have enjoyed for years. The impulsive stops at used book stores where I grab a handful of books mainly because they are dirt cheap keeps me reading books I would never planned to get. I never seem to run out.

OSC wrote Saints which I would not classify as either Scifi or fantasy. I still enjoyed the book and the characters. But I enjoy most of OSC's work. I am not stuck on a requirement of needing magic or space to keep my interest. I like off the wall, I like to see new perspectives and different viewpoints about more than just people. People are chaotic creatures in which I can believe them capable of almost any action.

Give me the humans dealing with aliens that don't think like us, or feel like us (or not feel at all). Show me those people dealing with problems that do not have a standard answer, requiring luck, skill, and thought to resolve or survive. In 18 or so years I have read over 500 scifi and fantasy books (never really kept count but I have more that that number on my bookshelves and I have read almost all of them), as well as a few standard fiction. Besides the book store grouping those books into one nice convenient section for me, the stories have been different, the plots have varied greatly. To sum it up I have read from simple to complex and enjoyed most of them.

Most of my close friends which I respect their opinion are probably worse than I am about their reading preferences. So to walk into a book store and roam the vast section of "fiction" and randomly select a book…I doubt I would enjoy it. If I did the same thing in the scifi/fantasy section (which I do too frequently) then I have a good chance I will enjoy it. Even some of the more poorly written books have been worth it for their sometimes unique perspectives.

Maybe I am just stubborn (which is likely), or too far gone. But common drama just is not enough for my free time. Will it hurt me as a writer? I'll let you
know in sometime in the future.

Balthasar
Member # 5399

quote:
But common drama just is not enough for my free time. Will it hurt me as a writer? I'll let you know in sometime in the future.

This comment has been bugging me since I read it. It's almost like saying, "Yeah, doctors tell me that being overweight can have serious effects on my health, but I'm just too damn stubborn to listen to them. Will it hurt my health? I'll let you know in the future."

I am NOT saying that I (or anyone else on this board, save perhaps Kathleen) are in the position to speak to aspiring writers from a place of authority. Yet, writers who have found the land of milk and honey, writers who are reaping the fruits of their labor -- these writers exhort that one MUST read outside one's genre if one wishes to become a good writer. These writers are telling us from on high that our writing will be negatively affected if we don't read outside our genre.

Why wouldn't you listen to them?

[This message has been edited by Balthasar (edited October 05, 2003).]

Marianne
Member # 1546

I have to agree with Balthasar. Someone with 18 novels on the NY Times Bestseller list must know something I don't know and if he says read outside your genre, then I will do that, even if it does remind me of...ack! homework!
Lord Darkstorm
Member # 1610

Alright Balthasar, let's just say I was willing to try. You have some suggestions in mind that will possibly convince me?
Balthasar
Member # 5399

You're willing to try what? Reading outside your genre, or looking at a reading list that might convince you to read outside your genre?

Are you specifially interested in trying literary fiction or a different genre, such as mystery, romance, or horror?

Lord Darkstorm
Member # 1610

I thought about it. I still don't really believe you....but, I've been wrong before. So tell me the name/author of a book outside of the scifi/fantasy realm and I'll give it a try.

I know I am stuborn, but one try won't hurt me...I guess....

Balthasar
Member # 5399

Boy, oh boy! I can't believe the opportunity you're giving me. A potential convert! I can't let this one slide through my fingers.

Give me a day or two to think about it.

Lord Darkstorm
Member # 1610

I doubt that you will get me away from my scifi and fantasy. But I am willing to give it a try. Since I did have some fun irritating you. I think I can be a bit less stuborn once.

Balthasar
Member # 5399

Since you didn't specify which genre you were interested in reading -- and since within literature you have distinctions as vast as what you find in speculative fiction -- I didn't recommend merely one book, but several.

Suspense/Thriller: Thomas Harris, Silence of the Lambs
Mystery: Agatha Christie, Murder on the Orient Express
Mystery: Arthur Conan Doyle, The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes (short stories)
Historical fiction: Umberto Eco, The Name of the Rose
Ancient Greek: Homer, Iliad or Odyssey
Ancient Roman: Virgil, Aeneid
Medieval: Anon, Beowulf or Dante, The Divine Comedy or Chaucer, The Canterbury Tales
19th-century British: Charles Dickens, David Copperfield
Early-20th-century British: W. Somerset Maugham, Of Human Bondage
Mid-20th-century British: Graham Greene, The Heart of the Matter or Brighton Rock
19th-century American: Mark Twain, Huckleberry Finn
Early-20th-century American: William Faulkner, Light in August
Mid-20th-century American: Harper Lee, To Kill a Mockingbird or Flannery O'Connor, Collected Short Stories
Contemporary-20th-century American: John Irving, Cider House Rules

Enjoy!!!

Marianne
Member # 1546

There are some heavy hitters on that list that might scare away a timid reader...I would suggest picking a contemporary novel from a popular writer, or a recent pulitzer winner just to get a taste. I just finished Da Vinci Code, which was terribly written but such a thrilling story I couldn't put it down, or try a mystery from Elizabeth George, Tami Hoag, PD James is one of my favs...literary fiction?? Let's see...my latest attempt in that arena was The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier & Clay by Michael Chabon. This was recommended by a Hatrack member and was a great book. Non-fiction can be a great source of ideas as well as essay collections, biography...go to the library and browse for a few hours. I bet you come away with a whole stack...you will survive the adventure

Lord Darkstorm
Member # 1610

Alright, my amazon suggestions are going to be messed up for a while, but I decided to get two (in case I don't like one of them):
The Name of the Rose
The Heart of the Matter

But remember it could be around a month before I get them and have a chance to read one (maybe both). I have been poking my nose in grammar books lately and have more to learn from them as well.

Balthasar
Member # 5399

Excellent choices. Greene and Eco are vastly different in both style and scope. Take your time reading them, but more importantly, enjoy!

Jules
Member # 1658

- posted      Profile for Jules   Email Jules         Edit/Delete Post 
If you're going to read Graham Greene, I would seriously suggest Our Man in Havana. The best espionage novel ever written, in my opinion.

Posts: 626 | Registered: Jun 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Lord Darkstorm
Member # 1610

Books have been ordered. So, I can't actually change my mind at this point.
Balthasar
Member # 5399

Jules might be correct about Greene; I haven't read Our Man in Havana. However, Greene himself said that he wrote two kinds of "long fiction": He wrote "entertainments" and he wrote "novels." This was Greene's way of separating his more popular fiction from his "serious" fiction. For Greene, what distinguished popular fiction from serious fiction was that serious fiction incorporates philosophical and religious themes into the story.

The four "novels" Greene wrote are: The Heart of the Matter, The Power and the Glory, The End of the Affair, and Brighton Rock.

You don't have to agree with Greene's assessment of what constitutes serious ficton. I don't. However, Greene's four "novels" would be classified under literature-as-genre as opposed to thriller.

So my only point is this one: I'm sure Our Man in Havana is as good as Jules says, but The Heart of the Matter is an excellent choice if you want to read literature-as-genre.

[This message has been edited by Balthasar (edited October 17, 2003).]

littlemissattitude
Member # 1597

- posted      Profile for littlemissattitude   Email littlemissattitude         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Genre fiction, for whatever reason, is not very thematic. Perhaps genre writers shy away from the notion of theme. Perhaps genre writers lack the philosophical acumen to understand the meaning of their story. Perhaps genre writers don’t give a shit about theme. I don’t know—each genre writer is different.

I have to state my disagreement with the idea that, in general, genre writers don't care about theme. I read a lot of science fiction, a lot of fantasy, some horror, and quite a few mysteries. And I have to say that I haven't run across many novels in any of these genres that don't in some way try to make sense of the world we live in and the lives we lead - even if they seem to be talking about creatures far different from us, living in places and circumstances far different from ours, they are still in the main talking about us, here, now (or whenever and wherever each author was writing).

Maybe I have just happened to pick up "quality" genre novels by "quality" genre writers. But I don't think so. I haven't agreed with the visions, the themes, of some of these books and writers, but I have seen them there. And I think that is part of the problem; sometimes we tend to see themes - in any kind of fiction - only when we agree with or identify with those themes.

Or maybe I just see theme in places where it really isn't. But I don't think that's the case either.

Posts: 50 | Registered: Feb 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Lord Darkstorm
Member # 1610

I have been saying that quite a bit. But being somewhat stuborn I decided I would just give it a try. I doubt there is anything out there that I have not found to some degree in sci-fi and fantasy, but since I never stray from there I can not say for certain. I can give other things a try, but my collection (600 or so sci-fi/fantasy books at home) will not radically change.
Christine
Member # 1646

I find sci fi and fantasy to be HEAVILY thematic. If the themes are all wrapped up in abstractions and monsters, so much the better as far as I'm concerned. I like digging to the heart of what the author is REALLY trying to say.

I have only read a little mystery, but I have found them to be far less thematic. As for romance, if they have themes then I think the author's message is all wrong. (Love at first sight, easy romance, beauty over brains...)

So whether or not genre fiction is thematic depends upon the genre and, of course, the quality of the author.

James Maxey
Member # 1335

- posted      Profile for James Maxey   Email James Maxey         Edit/Delete Post 
I've got several thoughts going on after reading this thread. Allow me to present them as a series of disjointed ramblings.

The division of literature into various subgenres is a viscious cycle that has a fantastic benefit and a horrible cost. The benefit, of course, is that the existence of genres greatly increases the sales of books. Think about how many books you are presented with when you walk into a Barnes and Noble. Suppose those books were arbitrarily arranged, say, by authors last name. If you have one author that you really like, this is convenient, but odds are good that the books surrounding that author will not have much in common with each other. By arranging books by genre, when I go to the bookstore and am looking for a book by Card, I will find the books surrounding his work to be worth investigating.

The downside, of course, is that genres encourage repetition and imitation and make it difficult for real innovation to find a market. There is a great degree of creativity and flexibility within a genre--obviously "Enders Game" is a vastly different work from, say, "Dune" or "Ringworld"--but most SF books must share a fairly narrow category of settings--another planet, another time, or a here and now threatened by advanced technology (or, in the case of Hitchhikers Guide the Galaxy, all of the above). Break the formula, and you will have a difficult time finding readers.

One thing that I've always admired about Card is that he is one of the few writers that doesn't seem content to write the same book again and again. Obviously, he does pay the bills with the Ender's series and the Alvin Maker series, but he's also willing to put out non genre books like Lost Boys and the book of Christmas stories he published last year.

On a completely different angle for the literary versus genre argument, I would say that the two major diffences dividing the world are that literary works place a primary goal on enlightening the world, while genre works are mainly interested in being entertaining. Both fail at their goals frequently, I admit.

"Literary" writers often make the mistake that for a work to have merit, it must be difficult, and start believing that obscurity and inpenatrability are, in and of themselves, the highest mark that a work has merit. They judge a book like "Finnegan's Wake" to be a great book because it is so difficult no one can read past the first page. They regard literature as a mystic cult whose secrets can only be revealed by initiated priests.

On the other hand, genre writers sometimes fall into a similar trap. They've read great works filled with new terms and words and strange names. And they come to think that the mark of great science fiction or fantasy is that it is filled with strange words and names. You'll pick up a book and find sentences like, "Griznak piloted the hopdan into G'nar D'nath to see a Zorkon about a dovnid." So you wind up with a similar preisthood. You can go to a literary conference and find people talking about the deconstructed paradigms of the manifest subconcsious, or you can go to a science fiction convention and find people speaking Klingon. Both groups take delight in excluding those who don't understand their secret language.

And, of course, both of these are the extremes of each group. I don't want to say that all writing in each category is crap. There's fantasitic work in each category.

Do I have a point? I don't know. I warned you at the start this was going to be disjointed ramblings.

I really shouldn't write before I have caffiene...

--James Maxey

Posts: 252 | Registered: Dec 2001  | Report this post to a Moderator
Jules
Member # 1658

- posted      Profile for Jules   Email Jules         Edit/Delete Post 
[edit: I left this while writing it to do some work; it's a reply to Christine, not the last post which I haven't read yet...]

Definitely. SF, particularly, is heavily thematic. Possibly more so in terms of short stories than novels, but its still true of novels.

Many SF stories are actually intended as dramatic illustrations of some point that the author wants to put across. This might be considered a little too direct by some people. I have heard it said that theme shouldn't be put into a story, but should arise naturally out of it during the writing process. I don't know whether this is good advice or not...

[This message has been edited by Jules (edited October 21, 2003).]

Posts: 626 | Registered: Jun 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Lord Darkstorm
Member # 1610

But why does a story have to have a theme?

I can understand that having one can be good, but not having a theme does not put the book in the catagory of worthless. If we look at why people read that might be of interest to this point. People read to learn, for entertainment, or possibly to see things from a different point of view. I have computer books to learn from, but rarely do they fall into anything close to entertainment. My sci-fi and fantasy fill the entertainment role, and if the story is good I could care less about a theme.

How many movies are produced that have absolutly no theme or meaning? Quite a few. People want to be entertained. If it requires some moral or intelectual reason to produce a show, there would not be a single sitcom. I can't stand most of the crap on tv since it fails to require anything other than watching. Most books do spark thought, and encourage the reader to think.

With or without a theme, a good story will do the job it was intended.

GZ
Member # 1374

- posted      Profile for GZ   Email GZ         Edit/Delete Post 
Many romance novels have more respectable themes than "beauty over brains" -- Love and value of family comes up a lot -- and rarely is love easy, since that's one of a romance writer's greates tools for conflict. And while a great many certainly use "lust on first sight," a great many build the love aspects from ideas of trust, commitment, and loyalty.

Lord D, almost all stories have a theme. It may not be overt, like the dreaded thesis statement of a term paper (did anyone else hate that thing? Anyway…), but every story choice the writer makes creates a certain world view within that story. In that world view, certain themes are present. Love stinks. Good triumphs over evil. Good kids doing bad things can be redeemed. Nancy Kress does a good treatment of this in Beginnings, Middles, and Ends, although she calls the theme a throughline.

[This message has been edited by GZ (edited October 21, 2003).]

Posts: 652 | Registered: Feb 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
Lord Darkstorm
Member # 1610

Ok, I'm going for a quote from OSC himself
quote:
So let me take your sentence and twist it around to the point where it becomes, if not true, then closer to the truth. You said "A book without an inner lesson isn't worth writing except for the reader's pleasure." What I say is, "A book that gives a reader pleasure does so because the reader cares deeply about issues that the characters face in the tale."

And a link to the rest

Yes, we can derive a theme, but for fiction I think the story is what is important. I couldn't imagine writing based on a theme, it is a story that leaves it up to the reader to determine what it means.

Christine
Member # 1646

Lord Darkstorm, your comments lead me to believe that you misunderstand the concept of theme. I believe GZ has already said, and I will reiterate, that themes to not have to be overt. In fact, themes are drawn from the reader "determining what it means." Just because the author does not shove a theme in your face does not mean there is not one. In fact, the accidental themes that are biproducts of a great story are often far better than purposeful themes.

As a matter of fact, I believe that this is what OSC meant in that passage you quoted.

Kolona
Member # 1438

- posted      Profile for Kolona   Email Kolona         Edit/Delete Post 
After following a thread a while back with a similar theme , I realized my novel-in-progress had a theme, though I hadn't planned it. I was just writing to get my mind off some things and amuse myself.

Out of curiosity, looking at whatever you're working now, is there a theme to it, and if so, did you plan it or did it just happen?

I tend to think Jules is right. SF, by nature, is strongly thematic. In what other genre can you take life wholly as it isn't and ask "What if?"

Posts: 1810 | Registered: Jun 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
Lord Darkstorm
Member # 1610

I agree, themes do tend to happen. I disagree that most authors place them there specifically. I'm sure it has been done for some books, but most of the ones I have read tend to hit more on issues than a paticular theme.

I may have misunderstood what was being said. Hasn't been the first time, I doubt it will be the last...

Survivor
Member # 213

I think that whether you intentionally construct the theme or it comes out of you unconsciously, what matters is that the audience get the theme as part of the story that they care about.

Intentional is a hard word to define when you talk about the deepest and most meaningful elements of a story. Did the author deliberately set the theme and choose the milieu and characters on that basis, or did the writer find certain aspects of his characters more interesting and concentrate on them, thus creating a recognizable theme?

If the writer is any good, we shouldn't be able to tell. The meaning of the story should speak to us as clearly as if the writer knew us personally and wrote the story with a lesson in mind for us, and it should be as naturally implicit in the story, developing out of the characters and the situations they encounter, as if he were totally unconscious of what he was preaching.

I would guess that there are few authors who would accept one interpretation of their works as well as the utterly opposed interpretation. Most would accept more than one, but they remain consciously aware of which ones they think are in their works and which ones they would argue are not in their works.

On the other hand, I doubt that most good authors plot out the exact wording of the commentary they want you to apphend as an analysis of the meaning of their works.

We're just beating on you because you didn't want to read outside of the SF/Fantasy shop.

Lord Darkstorm
Member # 1610

quote:
We're just beating on you because you didn't want to read outside of the SF/Fantasy shop.

That’s ok, most of you should know by now I enjoy a good disagreement, or would that be an opposing discussion?

Whichever, I don't mind.

Balthasar
Member # 5399

A theme is NOT the THESIS of a story, it is NOT the MESSAGE of a story, and a story is NOT an ILLUSTRATION of a theme. If you have a thesis, then write an essay; if want to writer an illustration, then know that you're writing an allegory or a parable. The theme -- at least how I understand it -- is the collected meaning of the events of a story. I suppose you could call the theme a story's soul or spirit, that which animates the story, that which brings it to life. As John Gardner says, "Theme is what, at its deepest level, the story is about."

It can be spoken of so long as other have read the story, but its not something you can articulate to a person who hasn't read the story. I can say that the theme of To Kill a Mockingbird is prejudice, but that would be a grave injustice to Harper Lee's wonderful novel. Lee's not talking about prejudice per se, but prejudice is certainly the deep-level meaning of the individual events as well as whole of the story. The only way you can experience this deep-level meaning is by reading the novel itself.

Three very different authors -- Damon Knight, John Gardner, and Stephen King -- have all spoken of theme. They all agree (remember, Gardner was an English professor and wrote literary novels, including meta-fiction) that theme is highly overrated. Gardner says that one reason is that English professors are too dim-witted to talk about the merits of a finely crafted story, so they have to talk about theme. These three gentlemen all agree that a theme emerges from the story.

John Steinbeck is the only writer I know of who couldn't write a story until he could state his theme. I've talked to several knowledgeable people about this, and they all concur that this is what makes Steinbeck a "hack" in the literature-as-genre field. It's so obvious that he's trying to deliver a message that he has to manipulate his characters to get the message across.

I do believe that a story with a theme is better than a story without a theme because the essence of storytelling is to explore and communicate the verities of life and existence in a dramatic way, and a themeless story doesn't fulfill this primary function. I stand by my original statement that most genre authors don't give a flip about theme; or if they do the themes in their stories are either undeveloped or, if they are developed, they are overt as well as trite and banal.

One of the problems I have with OSC's comments on theme is that he seems to think a theme is the MESSAGE of a story, or that a story is an ILLUSTRATION of a theme. That's fine if he thinks that, so long as he'll accept my view that he is not only wrong on what theme is, but that he is one of the most thematic authors I've read -- an author who writes stories with deep meaning.

Is SF/F thematic by nature? I don't think it is. It's more prone to writing to a thesis, delivering a message, or being an illustration of a theme than other genres. Once the SF/F author starts thinking, "This alien is a symbol for...," then that author is on the precipice of failure. More than that, because SF/F is such an Event driven genre, it's quite easy for the theme, the deep-meaning of a story, to get forgotten in lieu of the Event.

The Event itself might have a meaning; each story is different. But what I've found is that the more action in a story, the less intelligent the story is. There is a remedy, however, and that's having an equal amount of contemplation within an Event-driven story. For every siege on the castle, you should have the characters sitting around the campfire talking about their lives, their hopes, and their dreams. This is one reason why The Lord of the Rings is such an incredible fantasy. There's enough contemplative time for us to get to know the characters and for the characters to discern the meaning of the Event; in the process, we both understand and experience the deep-meaning -- the theme -- of Tolkien's work.

I want to close with this point: Everything that has been said about authors, stories, and themes need to be understood in light of the essential fact that, if a story is to remain honest and true, its theme, its deep-meaning, emerges from the story itself -- it is not superimposed by the author.

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.