Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Where do people submit thier stories

Author Topic: Where do people submit thier stories
Lord Darkstorm
Member # 1610

- posted      Profile for Lord Darkstorm   Email Lord Darkstorm         Edit/Delete Post 
I know there are many magazines and publications that publish short stories of both sci-fi and fantasy. I have been concentrating on creating more short stories lately and was wondering about the different places that people here submit their stories to.

Not being interested in starting my own personal rejection letter collection yet, I wanted to start looking at the different publications that I might want to try in the future. I did a search or two through the posts but only found one or two places mentioned. I was hoping to have a thread that would help all of us find places to submit their stories.

I remember someone mentioning it is a good idea reading the publications you plan on submitting to before actually trying. Sounds like a plan, but which ones?

So if you submit stories to publications, which ones, and what is good about the publication? Is there anything that made you like one publication over another?

Posts: 807 | Registered: Mar 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Hildy9595
Member # 1489

- posted      Profile for Hildy9595   Email Hildy9595         Edit/Delete Post 
Lord D., there are a whole lot of them out there. Here are a few that I personally like, but it really depends upon your own taste. If you like the stories in the magazine and feel that what you write would fit well, then there you go.

Some suggestions: Weird Tales (just plain cool), Asimov's (yes, the slush pile is big, but they love discovering new writers), and Artemis (stories have to relate to the moon somehow, but there is less competition). Also, keep your eyes open for new magazines...they tend to be most open to submissions and have the smallest slush piles (for obvious reasons).

Good luck!

Posts: 338 | Registered: Aug 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
Phanto
Member # 1619

- posted      Profile for Phanto   Email Phanto         Edit/Delete Post 
Where would we find these magazines, anyway? I too am interested in selling some short stories.
Posts: 697 | Registered: Mar 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Lord Darkstorm
Member # 1610

- posted      Profile for Lord Darkstorm   Email Lord Darkstorm         Edit/Delete Post 
Weird Tales
Asimov's
Artemis
The Magazine of Fantasy & Science Fiction
Analog
NFG

Doing a bit of web searching on ones I used to read.

[This message has been edited by Lord Darkstorm (edited October 08, 2003).]

Posts: 807 | Registered: Mar 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Balthasar
Member # 5399

- posted      Profile for Balthasar   Email Balthasar         Edit/Delete Post 
Lord D. (oh, how I like that better than typing out your full ID), if I may make one recommendation. When you begin submitting, you'll undoubtedly want to divide the magazines into three categories: (1) professional; (2) semi-pro; (3) non-paying.

The difference between professional and semi-professional magazines are the amount they pay -- I think the minimum for a professional magazine is $0.03 per word (you'll want to check on that). In the realm of SF/F, only professional markets are considered at the Hugo and Nebula Awards (and though I'm not sure, I would also suspect the other major awards only look at professional markets).

I'd also suggest having between 7 and 10 magazines in each category, which would give you between 21-30 different markets. However, certain magazines will automatically be eliminated because of the kind of story you'll be submitting--for example, you're not going to submit heroic fantasy to Analog. This kind of research can be done over the course of a month or two (allowing, of course, time for sample copies to arrive and for you to read a few stories in each).

The benefit of this method is that you don't have to stop and think to whom you should send your story. The advantage is not so apparent when you're sending a story to your first market, but I found it helpful for getting to story back in the mail after receiving a rejection letter. If you have to stop and wonder who to send it to next, you may cower at the prospect of putting the story back in the mail. But when Analog says no, you know my next market is Asimov's. (Yes, I put my markets in alphabetical order.)

Once you exhaust the professional markets, you move on to the semi-professional, and then the non-paying markets. If a story goes through them all without finding a home, don't worry--as Hildy pointed out, new markets are always springing up.

One last point: Make sure you keep a submission log. You don’t want to be sending the same story to the same editor.

The best source for SF/F/H markets can be found at www.ralan.com/ .

Good luck!!

[This message has been edited by Balthasar (edited October 08, 2003).]

Posts: 130 | Registered: Apr 2007  | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.