Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » New lessons in Uncle Orson's Writting Class

Author Topic: New lessons in Uncle Orson's Writting Class
GZ
Member # 1374

- posted      Profile for GZ   Email GZ         Edit/Delete Post 
Three new ones, and some updates to some of the older installments. One said something about another writting book in the works, about the issues of writing novels.

http://www.hatrack.com/writingclass/index.shtml

Posts: 652 | Registered: Feb 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
tamalynn
Member # 1304

- posted      Profile for tamalynn   Email tamalynn         Edit/Delete Post 
Ah, finally. Thanks for the tip!
Posts: 35 | Registered: Dec 2001  | Report this post to a Moderator
Jules
Member # 1658

- posted      Profile for Jules   Email Jules         Edit/Delete Post 
Hmmm... interesting. I liked 'Stories with soul', partly because I've just finished reading the same book (Michael Chrichton's "Prey") and the comments made in the question about it kind of resonated. It was a fun book, but lacked something.

[I've just read this through now I've written it and there aren't really any spoilers in it, not beyond what you'd get reading the back cover and prologue from the book, anyway]

My own analysis of it is slightly different though. I feel it lacks character development. The protagonist, at the end, is essentially the same character as at the start.

Also, I don't think starting the story with an excerpt from near the end was a good plan. There's a line in the prologue something like "Everyone else involved in this thing is dead already" - so there's not really an awful lot of 'will this character survive' suspense left. You know from page 1 who survives and who doesn't.

Also there were a number of factual inaccuracies in the book which were, I think, inexcusable. Some of them really jolted me out of the book into a 'but that's not right...' kind of mode. The first one was a tiny little thing, but it was in the first chapter - in describing the date on a video clip, Crichton says that international date format is 'year-day-month', which is just wrong (it's 'year-month-day'). It kind of surprised me because previous Crichton books I've read have always been very well researched.

Posts: 626 | Registered: Jun 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.