Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » 10 MISTAKES WRITERS DON'T SEE

Author Topic: 10 MISTAKES WRITERS DON'T SEE
Balthasar
Member # 5399

- posted      Profile for Balthasar   Email Balthasar         Edit/Delete Post 
Here's something that might interest you. Number 8 is my favorite (which means it offered me the most insight).

www.holtuncensored.com/members/#mistakes

PS -- One of the worst cases of number 1 I've seen is R.A. Salvatore's The Sword of Bedwyr, in which Mr. Salvatore seems to have fallen in love with the word "pragmatic." Urrr!

[This message has been edited by Balthasar (edited October 15, 2003).]

Posts: 130 | Registered: Apr 2007  | Report this post to a Moderator
Hildy9595
Member # 1489

- posted      Profile for Hildy9595   Email Hildy9595         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, thanks for that, Balthasar! A nice quick reference guide for someone in the middle of editing her novel (points to self).

I often look back at something I've written and find the repeat phrases, and it always surprises me. When I'm writing, I don't see it; it all reads smoothly to me. But on a second pass, I'm left scratching my head and saying, "Geeze, didn't I use that exact description two pages ago?"

Posts: 338 | Registered: Aug 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
Marianne
Member # 1546

- posted      Profile for Marianne   Email Marianne         Edit/Delete Post 
What a great list...thanks for posting the link. I checked out the website while I was there and subscribed. It seems like the whole web site is a great learning tool.

I think #1 is a favorite of mine, and of course, #10, which is always a hot topic on Hatrack

Posts: 173 | Registered: Dec 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
GZ
Member # 1374

- posted      Profile for GZ   Email GZ         Edit/Delete Post 
A couple of his examples didn’t ring right to me:

quote:
Avoid words that are fashionable in conversation. Ann Packer's characters are so trendy the reader recoils. " 'What's up with that?' I said. 'Is this a thing [love affair]?' " "We both smiled. " 'What is it with him?' I said. 'I mean, really.' " Her book is only a few years old, and already it's dated.

Wouldn’t you want to use words that ground your dialog in the time period you are writing? You couldn’t use dialog like that above in a Victorian, or even in the 1970’s, but for something 2003ish? That language doesn’t sound dated for use in a "now" setting to me.

quote:
"Mrs. Fletcher's face pinkened slightly." Whoa. This is an author trying too hard. "I sat down and ran a finger up the bottom of his foot, and he startled so dramatically .... " Egad, "he startled"? You mean "he started"?

I don’t get the problem with the first one. "Mrs. Fletcher blushed" is more succinct, but the version above seems more descriptive of the nuisances of the situation. And in the second one, people can be startled when tickled. "He started" wouldn’t make any sense. He’s been alarmed, he’s not beginning something. The awkwardness seems mostly from the sentence starting to get a bit long for all the action (hard to tell since the sentence is cut off) and the use of "so" before dramatically.

So am I just blind to these sorts of mistakes, or are these just illustrative of a particular pet peeve of Holt?

Posts: 652 | Registered: Feb 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 1512

- posted      Profile for Jon Boy   Email Jon Boy         Edit/Delete Post 
That's a good list. Unfortunately, I'm a victim of crutch words. I know that I use "suddenly" a lot, and I'm sure there are others.
Posts: 83 | Registered: Sep 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
immi
Member # 1784

- posted      Profile for immi   Email immi         Edit/Delete Post 
Crutch words ... LOL, I recently woke up to these, and have started doing word counts on specific words. I've found an alarming amount of the word 'moment', which seems like a strange word to over-use!

I thought 'pinkened' just sounded awkward, when you've got the options of 'blushed' 'flushed' and 'reddened'. It doesn't sound like a real word, which I think would jolt you out of the story a bit.

Immi

Posts: 13 | Registered: Oct 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 1512

- posted      Profile for Jon Boy   Email Jon Boy         Edit/Delete Post 
GZ, "start" can mean "to move suddenly and violently" or "to react with a sudden brief involuntary movement." "Startled" doesn't quite seem to work (in my opinion, anyway—it might just be an issue of taste).
Posts: 83 | Registered: Sep 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
Jules
Member # 1658

- posted      Profile for Jules   Email Jules         Edit/Delete Post 
The problem with 'he startled' is just that you don't use startle like that - startling is an action that you perform on somebody else. 'I startled him by ....'. Or you use it passively - 'He was startled by ...'

Number 6 is good. I read a book on writing by David Gerrold; apparently he wrote an entire novel without using 'to be' anywhere in it. He reckons that it can make the writing clearer and more emphatic, that nearly every use of 'to be' softens the meaning of the sentence that contains it. That's a bit too weird for me, but I've certainly started looking at my writing and eliminating redundant 'to be's. For instance, I have only used it once in this paragraph, and rewriting that sentence would have resulted in a rather obscure phrasing for a relatively simple concept...

Posts: 626 | Registered: Jun 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
srhowen
Member # 462

- posted      Profile for srhowen   Email srhowen         Edit/Delete Post 
I used to have an old smith corona word processor--one thing it had that current word processors don't--it had a page that told you the top 30 words used in your document by word count.

You'd get something like:

The 1,200
She 1,150

Etc--it was great. And I sure wish that WP or Word had that now. It was a great way to check for over usage of words. I pretty much have trained myself to look for repeated phrases. My trouble is pet words, that, just small words that most times are not needed.

As far as startled.

I agree with the show don't tell in this.

Saying She startled Dave when she tickled him. (telling)

Better to say She pounced on Dave by surprise. Dave squealed and tripped on the roller skate, landing on his behind. (showing)

We know she startled him, but we see it through actions.

Shawn

Posts: 1019 | Registered: Apr 2000  | Report this post to a Moderator
GZ
Member # 1374

- posted      Profile for GZ   Email GZ         Edit/Delete Post 
Okay, reddened would probably be preferable. "Pinkened" just didn’t bother me when I read over it the first couple of times. And I’m sure Holt wanted to ax the "slightly."

I wasn’t as clear as I could be about my issue with the other one. Something is wrong with that sentence, starting with the "and he startled so dramatically." I just didn’t get how "he started" (which yes I am aware also means "to move abruptly in surprise, etc," but that wasn’t the first thought that came to my mind where I read the sentence, hence how I worded my response) was so much better than "he startled." Both sound like awkward usage. I hadn’t thought of the whole show/tell dilemma being the root problem. "He jumped and fell off the chair" is more in line with what I would have chosen to use, but I hadn’t really thought of the rule behind it that way.

<sigh> The whole show/tell thing gets confusing. It seems like there is about 2-3 different ways to define it. Add that not all telling is bad at all times, and it gets to be a muddle.

Posts: 652 | Registered: Feb 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
Jules
Member # 1658

I've just knocked together a quick windows app to do word frequency counting.

You can downloading it from here:

http://www.moscow.org.uk/wordcounter.zip

It uses a windows edit control so you can copy & paste your stuff into it to get counts out, but it is unfortunately limited to 64K at a time (about 7,000 words or so). But you can get a good idea of a chunk of your work, and see if words keep cropping up in different sections.

Christine
Member # 1646

- posted      Profile for Christine   Email Christine         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Jules! I tried it out and it seems to work well. I am also relatively confident that I have not overused a word. The word "the" keeps coming up as my most used word, followed by "a" and other such words. The next most common are my character's names and pronouns. I think I'm doing ok on item #1, anyway.
Posts: 3567 | Registered: May 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Jules
Member # 1658

It's a slow day at work, and I keep being told to write more test programs for our user interface library :-)

reid
Member # 1425

- posted      Profile for reid           Edit/Delete Post 
It works! Thanks Jules!

Brian

Posts: 63 | Registered: May 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
reid
Member # 1425

- posted      Profile for reid           Edit/Delete Post 
Christine-

Look toward the bottom of your list. That is where more obscure words that will stick in the reader's mind will show up as repeaters. An uncommon word used even twice in a 400 page manuscript will stick out like a sore thumb.

Jules-

Not to look a gift horse in the mouth, but why the 7K word limit?

Thanks again,

Brian

Posts: 63 | Registered: May 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
Kolona
Member # 1438

- posted      Profile for Kolona   Email Kolona         Edit/Delete Post 
Talk about crutch words – the news media has a whopper: actually. Listen to newscasters and reporters. I guarantee you’ll hear the word in every on-the-scene report, if not from the anchors as well. “The tornado actually hit the town hall.” “He was actually driving the car when he went off the road.”

In fact, I’ve been trying to think of a legitimate use for “actually.” Any sentence I come up with is just as good without the word. The best I can do: “He went to the men’s room, but actually it was the women’s room.” And even that “actually” can be left out in a pinch, although I like it better in -- sentence flow and contrast.

“Start” is a strange word. It also means to protrude or bulge, and to become loose, so eyes can start and so can rivets, but I’m not sure I’d use the word that way. “Start” may be a verb, but it seems more understandable as a noun, as in “You gave me a start.” In the example cited

quote:
"I sat down and ran a finger up the bottom of his foot, and he startled so dramatically.... "

I don’t like “startled,” either. I’m with keeping "startled" in a passive context, as in “x startled y,” but “x was startled by y” is a passive verbal construction I’d generally avoid as per our discussion elsewhere.

quote:
Wouldn’t you want to use words that ground your dialog in the time period you are writing? You couldn’t use dialog like that above in a Victorian, or even in the 1970’s, but for something 2003ish? That language doesn’t sound dated for use in a "now" setting to me.

Yes, with reservations, to the first question. The problem comes with writing painfully up-to-date jargon. Today’s readers may understand, but future readers might scratch their heads in confusion. Think of a whole book, particularly one heavy with diaglogue, with modern dialogue like this:
quote:
" 'What's up with that?' I said. 'Is this a thing…?' " "We both smiled. " 'What is it with him?' I said. 'I mean, really.' "

Kind of like that commercial with the two teens speaking on their cell phones in an abbreviated code word conversation. Yeah, we get it now, but once that trend is gone, writers who want to use that “period” language will have to present it in reader-friendly doses and methods.

It’s no different than ahs and ums – you end up with either bloated conversation or running the risk of making your character sound stupid, even though when people actually talk [case in point; see above ], they do use ahs and ums without sounding stupid. It just translates differently to paper. In the example, “It’s absolutely wild. I love it.”, that “absolutely” may sound fine in speech, but on paper, unless it’s an affectation of the character, it’s unnecessary for clarity and bloats the sentence.

Posts: 1810 | Registered: Jun 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
Jules
Member # 1658

quote:
Jules-

Not to look a gift horse in the mouth, but why the 7K word limit?

Basically, it's a windows restriction. That's as much as you can put in a normal Windows edit box. It's the same restriction that notepad has (hence the fact that notepad will open really big files in wordpad instead).

Some day I'll finish writing my improved text editor component, then I'll release a new version without the limit. But that'll take a cold day in hell, or me coming up with that killer app design that I've been chasing for years now...

Christine
Member # 1646

- posted      Profile for Christine   Email Christine         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Look toward the bottom of your list. That is where more obscure words that will stick in the reader's mind will show up as repeaters. An uncommon word used even twice in a 400 page manuscript will stick out like a sore thumb.

Point taken, so I did it again and I still don't see a problem word, at least not on my current manuscript. I'll probably check my word usage from now on since it's such an easy thing to do.

Posts: 3567 | Registered: May 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Kolona
Member # 1438

<sigh> I still can't open zip files.
Jules
Member # 1658

I can upload an unzipped copy if you like, but its 3Mb...

Lord Darkstorm
Member # 1610

- posted      Profile for Lord Darkstorm   Email Lord Darkstorm         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Basically, it's a windows restriction. That's as much as you can put in a normal Windows edit box. It's the same restriction that notepad has (hence the fact that notepad will open really big files in wordpad instead).

I take it you are working under win 9x? I know in w2k and winxp that limit is gone. I have opened some 500M text files in notepad before.

Posts: 807 | Registered: Mar 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
pickled shuttlecock
Member # 1714

- posted      Profile for pickled shuttlecock           Edit/Delete Post 
That's true - the limit is virtually gone. (We're working with finite machines, so there's still a limit - it's just HUGE.) The Win9x limit in Notepad is actually 32767 characters. (That's half the cardinality of a 16-bit word. The common edit control in Win9x that Notepad uses is a 16-bit control. I am such a nerd.)

Anyway, I'm absolutely certain that my biggest problem lies with overuse of weak adverbs. Verily, thusly...incredibly... I certainly do need to work on it.

Excellent list, by the way. I'm going to start searching for the other ones that may not be so apparent.

Posts: 84 | Registered: Aug 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Kolona
Member # 1438

Thanks, Jules, but I'll pass on the strength of your cautionary "but." Appreciate it, though.
srhowen
Member # 462

- posted      Profile for srhowen   Email srhowen         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, thanks--no word problems for me either. I use The the most--so why doesn't WP or Word have this feature? It should.

Shawn

Posts: 1019 | Registered: Apr 2000  | Report this post to a Moderator
SiliGurl
Member # 922

- posted      Profile for SiliGurl   Email SiliGurl         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the link! I use crutch words a lot too... I usually catch them in the editing. If, when I'm reading, I begin to see that I'm using a word too much, I'll do a find/replace job in Word. Helps.

Posts: 306 | Registered: Feb 2001  | Report this post to a Moderator
PE_Sharp
Member # 1654

- posted      Profile for PE_Sharp   Email PE_Sharp         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Christine, all why don't you check out Notetab Pro, it is an excellent text processor (meant as a Word pad replacement) with text statistics programmed right in. Only problem is that for some reason the words are listed alphabetically instead of by frequency. Otherwise if you usually turn off your spell checker give the free trial a try.

http://www.notetab.com/

Posts: 47 | Registered: Jun 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Narvi
Member # 1376

- posted      Profile for Narvi   Email Narvi         Edit/Delete Post 
On Linux/Unix, you can get a complete count of words in a text file with the command

cat filename.txt |tr " [A-Z]" "\n[a-z]"|sed s/[^a-z0-9]//g|sort | uniq -c |sort -n

You might want to redirect the output to a file or pipe it to less, because it is rather long. It also may take a few seconds for a long work (it's about 160 pages/second on my computer).

Hope this Helps

Posts: 66 | Registered: Feb 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
Lord Darkstorm
Member # 1610

- posted      Profile for Lord Darkstorm   Email Lord Darkstorm         Edit/Delete Post 
Ok, I have a early version of a toy I'm building. It counts, and even has a few filters. As well as sorting. If anyone is interested.

Word Counter

Be patient the outgoing on the server isn't that fast.

I'm hoping to add a phrase search and first word count for sentances and paragraphs.

[This message has been edited by Lord Darkstorm (edited October 23, 2003).]

Zixx
Member # 1798

- posted      Profile for Zixx   Email Zixx         Edit/Delete Post 
curious about a word counter, wouldn't it work(although crudely)to use the replace all feature on MS Word?

Just replace 'actually' or 'to be' or whatever your crutch word is with something like zxcv or some other nonsensical group of letters. It will tell you how many times it was replaced, then you can change it back and decide if there were too many of your crutch words. Or save your story in a 2nd file to play with the replace options and you won't have to worry about screwing something up.

Zixx

Posts: 24 | Registered: Oct 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Lord Darkstorm
Member # 1610

Yes, you could use find replace procedure in word. But what about the unusual words that you may only use a few times, but twice is too many? Counting words does just that, it counts. Then you can look at the counts of all words and determine which words you want to search for in your favorite word proccessor.

Once I figure out how to count phrases without it taking all day, that will come in handy too. Just last night I noticed a phrase that I had used 4 times in the matter of 3 paragraphs. Part of the problem with reviewing your own work is that you can miss some obvious problems that are there. If a simple utility can help find those problems then the story improves.

Besides, programming is something I can do well, and still enjoy.

Narvi
Member # 1376

- posted      Profile for Narvi   Email Narvi         Edit/Delete Post 
Here is the Unix/Linux command to count phrases, it works reasonalby fast:

cat filename.txt| perl -e '@s=();while(<> ){tr/[A-Z]/[a-z]/;@s=(@s,split(/[^a-z0-9\']+/));while($#s>3){print "$s[0] $s[1] $s[2]\n";shift(@s);}}' | sort | uniq -c | sort -n

This counts three word phrases. To change that, change the bolded 3 to some other number.

Posts: 66 | Registered: Feb 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
Balthasar
Member # 5399

ATTN Ender's Star!!!!!
Enders Star
Member # 1578

- posted      Profile for Enders Star   Email Enders Star         Edit/Delete Post 
can you give me those mistakes 1-10 the link goes to the newest and I would like to see that article please...
Posts: 59 | Registered: Jan 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Balthasar
Member # 5399

I can't find it. Sorry. Another good "list" of writing rules is George Orwell's list. I think you already found that thread.
Enders Star
Member # 1578

- posted      Profile for Enders Star   Email Enders Star         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes I have, thankyou.
Posts: 59 | Registered: Jan 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
JOHN
Member # 1343

- posted      Profile for JOHN           Edit/Delete Post 
They've archeived it..

http://www.holtuncensored.com/members/column376.html

Posts: 401 | Registered: Jan 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
Balthasar
Member # 5399

Thanks, John.
Survivor
Member # 213

- posted      Profile for Survivor   Email Survivor         Edit/Delete Post 
JOHN, is that you? I don't think I've seen you in quite a while.
Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  | Report this post to a Moderator
JOHN
Member # 1343

- posted      Profile for JOHN           Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, it's me.

Sadly, I haven't been writing lately, so I haven't frquented the boards much. I have a few vague story ideas running around in my head, and I'm still editing that beast of a novel I wrote...

JOHN!

Posts: 401 | Registered: Jan 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

- posted      Profile for Survivor   Email Survivor         Edit/Delete Post 
We need more topics that focus on providing inspiration and ideas for writing around here.
Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.