Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Music

Author Topic: Music
cvgurau
Member # 1345

- posted      Profile for cvgurau   Email cvgurau         Edit/Delete Post 
Can anyone recommend some good instrumental music to listen to while writing? To, as someone here once put it "entertain the stupid part of my brain"? I listen to vocals now, and it's good, but distracting as I try to focus on their words and my own words as I type.

Thanks,
Cristian V

[This message has been edited by cvgurau (edited October 16, 2003).]

Posts: 552 | Registered: Jan 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
Balthasar
Member # 5399

- posted      Profile for Balthasar   Email Balthasar         Edit/Delete Post 
Mozart.
Bach.
Or, the music of God ... Silence.

Posts: 130 | Registered: Apr 2007  | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

- posted      Profile for Survivor   Email Survivor         Edit/Delete Post 
We've had this topic a couple of times before, actually (in this case meaning we've had it twice before, thus actually a couple rather than colloquially a couple).

Both Inspired Writers, Inspirational Music and Listen to music while writing? discussed music, and though they didn't restrict the subject to instrumental, they both did touch on how music with recognizable words wasn't conducive to writing.

Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  | Report this post to a Moderator
Lord Darkstorm
Member # 1610

- posted      Profile for Lord Darkstorm   Email Lord Darkstorm         Edit/Delete Post 
I have tried to write while listening to music, but it doesn't work for me. But I do have a few places to look. Windham hill has quite a few instrumental cd's that range to different tastes. I happen to like Manhiem steamroller. But there are more good ones too.

Some of the newer piano soloists are good also, Liz Story, Jim Bickman (although a bit trendy), and Kitaro is always a good one. Some of Kitaro's cd's have people singing on some of the tracks,but most of it is instrumental. Of course there are tons more.

Posts: 807 | Registered: Mar 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Phanto
Member # 1619

- posted      Profile for Phanto   Email Phanto         Edit/Delete Post 
As he said, God's music: silence.

Actually, amend that. I like to listen to natural sounds: water flowing; birds chirping. The music should be very soft so I don't notice it much.

I also like Bach and Mueler.

Survivor: Where do you pull these topics up from?

[This message has been edited by Phanto (edited October 16, 2003).]

[This message has been edited by Phanto (edited October 16, 2003).]

Posts: 697 | Registered: Mar 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Mind Surfer
Member # 1686

- posted      Profile for Mind Surfer           Edit/Delete Post 
Since we are on the topic of music here, Apple has just released iTunes for Windows. For anyone who doesn't know what I'm talking about you can check it out.

http://www.apple.com/itunes/

I am a huge fan of listening to music while I write. I agree with most that instrumental is better than vocal.

Posts: 27 | Registered: Jul 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
If I'm going to listen to music while writing, one of the things I like to do is find a soundtrack from a movie that has similar themes to what I'm working on.

I'm working on a YA fantasy novel set in the Mayan culture, so I may have some trouble finding a movie soundtrack. Perhaps I'll just see if I can find some Mayan music on CD.

Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  | Report this post to a Moderator
Member # 1655

- posted      Profile for Avatar300           Edit/Delete Post 
I think Bach, Handel, Vivaldi, and Strauss Jr. are good choices.

But I usually listen to rock music as loud as the other members of my family are willing to put up with.

Posts: 78 | Registered: Jun 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

- posted      Profile for Survivor   Email Survivor         Edit/Delete Post 
Phanto, you could probably just do a search on key words in the opening post of any topic and find related topics and pretty well imitate me

Of course, I actually have been here for a really long time (with a hiatus or two), so I usually know when a topic has been discussed before. If I recall having replied to it, then I search for my own posts touching the subject. If not (as in this case) I'm in the same boat as anyone else, except that I know the topic is there somewhere (though sometimes it isn't some of the important early threads have been deleted).

Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  | Report this post to a Moderator
Thieftess
Member # 1683

- posted      Profile for Thieftess   Email Thieftess         Edit/Delete Post 
I know exactly what you mean -- I have the same problem.

Soundtracks are faboo -- Elfman, Horner, Williams & Shore are great, great men.

New age music and remixes are fun -- there are words, but they're not usually in standard verse. Enigma is a good example (the new CD "Voyageur" is fantastic) and Paul Oakenfold is another of my favorites.

The other option is music in a different language. The danger there, though, is getting something in a language you learned in school well enough so that the words you don't know bug you. (ie: Shakira) The other danger is listening to it so much you learn it phoenetically and sing it anyway (ie: Peter Gabriel's "While the Earth Sleeps" from the Strange Days soundtrack).

Don't discount popular music altogether, though. More than one author has been inspired by that darned Evanescence album -- myself and John Ringo included!

That's my two cents--

Alethea

Posts: 280 | Registered: Jul 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
WatersOfMimir
Member # 1785

- posted      Profile for WatersOfMimir   Email WatersOfMimir         Edit/Delete Post 
Even though it's not instrumental, I find Enya to be quite effective think-music.
Posts: 24 | Registered: Oct 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Falken224
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
Personally, I listen to music to get inspired, but if I listen while I write . . . vocals or not . . . I get distracted. So, for non-distracting music, I can't help. BUT . . . here's some good inspirational music.

Loreena McKennitt - anything

Linkin Park - anything (great lyrics . . . lots to work with there.)

Evanescence - Working on a story even now inspired by a couple of their songs.

Dvorak - Symphony 9 (New World Symphony)

Enya - Anything, but especially the "Memory of Trees" album.

Nickel Creek - mainly their self-titled album. "This Side" is okay, but more "poppy". I'm writing a straight sci-fi story inspired by several of their songs.

Chopin - Pretty much anything he wrote.

Thomas Newman - As far as I know, he's only done movie soundtracks, but both Erin Brockevich (sp?) and American Beauty were STUNNING. They're usually clips of less than a minute, but boy do they capture various moods. Put all his stuff on 'shuffle' on your CD (or MP3) player and let the story kind of assemble itself. It's a very cool phenomenon. Oh, and he title the title theme for Boston Public. GREAT piece of work there. The dude's a genius.

Voce - not sure if that's just the name of the album, or the group. GREAT choral music. Very evocative. But I've only ever found the album on Amazon.
Oh, and of course, you can't put alist like this together without . . .

The Crystal Method - Vegas - SWEET album. Ton of ideas from that.

Anyway . . . that's my two cents' worth.

-Nate

[This message has been edited by Falken224 (edited November 07, 2003).]

| Report this post to a Moderator
AndrewR
Member # 1563

- posted      Profile for AndrewR   Email AndrewR         Edit/Delete Post 
A old college friend of mine does some wonderful acoustic guitar music that might be suitable. (Shameless plug. )
Posts: 180 | Registered: Jan 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
MaryRobinette
Member # 1680

- posted      Profile for MaryRobinette   Email MaryRobinette         Edit/Delete Post 
Listening to Mozart is supposed to make you smarter, or at least improve spatial skills which are useful when visualizing scenes.

"The second experiment, presented at the meeting by Dr. Rauscher and Dr. Shaw, expanded on their widely-reported study published by Nature in October 1993, which found that listening to 10 minutes of Mozart's Piano Sonata K 448 increased spatial IQ scores in college students, relative to silence or relaxation instructions. The new findings replicated the effect, and found no increase in spatial skills after subjects listened to 10 minutes of either a composition by Philip Glass or a highly rhythmic dance piece, suggesting that hypnotic musical structures will not enhance spatial skills."

Posts: 2022 | Registered: Jul 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.