Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Questions about Rewrite

Author Topic: Questions about Rewrite
Marianne
Member # 1546

- posted      Profile for Marianne   Email Marianne         Edit/Delete Post 
I just finished the first draft of my novel and I am starting the editing phase. I purchased Grammar for Dummies and I have Elements of Style and a good dictionary. I wanted to ask those of you who have done this before if there is any particular method you follow. Do you go one chapter at a time, one paragraph at a time, line-by-line.... I have had a few people read through it and make some notes, which has been helpful.

Any insights would be appreciated.

Thanks

Posts: 173 | Registered: Dec 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
srhowen
Member # 462

- posted      Profile for srhowen   Email srhowen         Edit/Delete Post 
First thing I do is look for my pet words--that, just, was, had--and rewrite anything using them.

Then I look for --ly, --ing and see if I have too many of them or if the sentence can be made more active by getting rid of them.

I do punctuation next.

Then I look down the side of each page and make sure each paragraph starts with a different word. Dumb? You'd be surprised what a difference it makes. Same with sentences in a paragraph--no two in a row starting the same.

After that the big thing is to look for clarity, repetitive info, and sentences that need simplification. Do you need more info, less? Also look for inconsistencies--John had blue eyes in chapter one and green in chapter 30, that sort of thing.

Have you used clichés? Too many adjectives--

The list can go on and on.

And even after you have edited it to the best of your ability--when you make a sale or land an agent--it starts all over. But the thing is an agent or publisher will recognize that you put the work into it. But be prepared for a long haul and a lot of work.

Shawn

Posts: 1019 | Registered: Apr 2000  | Report this post to a Moderator
Kolona
Member # 1438

- posted      Profile for Kolona   Email Kolona         Edit/Delete Post 
Put the draft aside for a while -- a month or longer would be good for a first edit. There is a direct correlation between the amount of time you're away from a work with the amount of errors you'll find. Sad but true. On the other hand, it's a good sign if later readings after absences turn up less and less problems, which should be the case if you're editing effectively.

Read your draft for flow. If you stumble on something, figure a reader probably would also.

This one is hard to explain. If there are any places in your draft that, in the very back of your mind (and I'm talking almost a subconscious level here), you've felt not quite sure about, or have been vaguely thinking you might change or that something doesn't work -- take another look. Most likely you should deal with those places. Your mind is picking up something you're refusing to see or don't want to deal with. Bite the bullet and deal with it.

Posts: 1810 | Registered: Jun 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
mags
Member # 1570

- posted      Profile for mags   Email mags         Edit/Delete Post 
I think setting it aside for a month or so after you finished is pretty manditory. To begin with, when you just finish, you are still too close to the story to be able to catch the things that will really annoy your reader.

Doing a run through for your catch words might not be as bad, but you might not notice them if you haven't set the story aside, and done something else.... how about have that as your December to do item... since we know that November is already spoken for.

Posts: 142 | Registered: Jan 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
Consider reading it to yourself out loud, or even better if possible, get someone else to read it to you.

I'd recommend doing that after you think you've done everything else you can think of to improve it.

Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  | Report this post to a Moderator
rickfisher
Member # 1214

- posted      Profile for rickfisher   Email rickfisher         Edit/Delete Post 
During the month that you're not looking at (or even *thinking* about your book (work on something else to keep your mind off of it), read "Self-Editing for Fiction Writers" by Renni Browne and Dave King. You probably won't agree with everything they say, but it's the best book on the subject I've seen.
Posts: 932 | Registered: Jul 2001  | Report this post to a Moderator
Balthasar
Member # 5399

- posted      Profile for Balthasar   Email Balthasar         Edit/Delete Post 
It seems to me that it would be futile to focus on grammar, spelling, and vocabulary during your first reread/rewrite. I tend to follow Stephen King's method.

1. I let the manuscript sit for a while. In fact, I will start and complete another, smaller writing project before rereading the manuscript. This way, my mind has been focused on something else; it hasn't been stewing about the reread and rewrite.

2. I try to reread the whole thing in one sitting. Why? Becasue what I'm looking for duing my first reread is the unity of the story, characters, and plot. Sometimes that's hard to see if you read your manuscript over the course of a week. If I see grammar, spelling, or vocabulary issues, I'll change them. But that's not my focus. I'm asking myself: Does the story flow? Are the characters consistent? Are the questions answered? I'm also looking for various mistakes -- a character who puts on a red tie in the morning and wears a blue tie home that evening. Stuff like that.

3. Once you examined the story's logic, it's time to fix the mistakes you see. This means (possibly) rewriting scenes or chapters. Again, my goal is constructing a unified story.

4. Now that you think you have a unified story that doesn't have any blatant logical mistakes, it's time to let others see it. Don't ask them to focus on any one thing. Ask them to both make comments on the story itself as well as correct what they think is wrong with it -- including grammar, spelling, and vocabulary. Hand it over to your group of readers and say, "Make any comment, change, or correction you want."

5. Your next rewrite should be based on what your readers told you. You have to decide which comments are good and which ones are not so good. If you have 10 readers, and 8 of them highlight a scene in Chapter 3, then you might want to work on that scene. And in case of a tie, the writer wins: So if five say "A" about a scene in Chapter 3, and the other five say "B", then feel free to keep it as it is -- so long as you don't agree with what they're saying. You might not agree with the 8, but it would be unwise not to listen to them. Just remember, you can't please everybody.

6. Now comes another reread, and once again your should be focused on the unity of the story. You should also, I think, start looking for symbols of themes that you can bring our. For example, if a series of characters walk across the same bridge to a significant event, then you might want to think about highlighting that bridge through description and in dialogue.

7. After another rewrite (they should be getting shorter), you are now in the position to read for grammar, spelling, and vocabulary issues, as well as cutting 10% of your story. Yes, you'll want to make sure the grammar and spelling is correct, but that's something that probably fixed itself in the course of the rewrites -- especially if you and your readers are semi-competent in this area. Anything awkward should, of course, be fixed.

More importantly, I think, is your vocabulary. I follow Theodore Sturgeon's rule: The more important a scene or description is, the more poetic the prose needs to be. Are you using banal and pedestrian words in these important scenes? If so, change them.

You should also try to cut 10% of from your story. A 400-page manuscript should end up being 360 pages. Do you have unnecessary descriptions? Do you have dialogue that doesn't enhance a character or move the story along? Can two scenes be combined?

Some authors (such as Stephen King) say that the 10% rule should be used between the first and second drafts. Others (such as James Patrick Kelly) use the 10% rule for their last draft. I like using the 10% for my last draft. This way I can focus entirely on the unity of the story, and then focus entirely on the utility of the elements that comprise the story.

I recommend getting Stephen King's On Writing and reading what he has to say about rewrites. I haven't read the other books that have been recommended.

[This message has been edited by Balthasar (edited October 20, 2003).]

Posts: 130 | Registered: Apr 2007  | Report this post to a Moderator
Lord Darkstorm
Member # 1610

- posted      Profile for Lord Darkstorm   Email Lord Darkstorm         Edit/Delete Post 
srhowen
quote:
First thing I do is look for my pet words--that, just, was, had--and rewrite anything using them.

Why? I'm not questioning it, I would just like to know why. Do these particulare words imply some specific problem (like passive voice?) that needs to be fixed?

Posts: 807 | Registered: Mar 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
srhowen
Member # 462

I think everyone has different pet words. In my own writing and so often in submissions I receive I see the words just and that used as filler words. The man just across the room and things like that. That is used the same way.

Looking for was is always a good idea. NO I am not trying to start a firestorm of but you need was--yes you do, but not all over the place all the time. And almost always a "was" sentence can be made more active and stronger by rewording a was if it can be.

As you write, and receive good crits you will learn your own pet words. Just is a big one for me, that is second, I have to watch the ly words as well.

I think this is what makes editing so hard to do--you cannot see the errors you make very well.

I am on my last edit for my agent--the nit pick every small detail one. He sent me a list of pages he found typos on--on one page I read it five times and could not see the typo. My hubby read the page he could not see it. I read it again. I was about to send an e-mail to my agent asking where it was--when a crit group friend said--send me the page.

She had read the MS a long time ago, but because it was fresh in her eyes she found it.

Also added to what Kathleen said--and I do this, but not until I've done my other edits--read it into a tape recorder. You'll hear many things on playback, and anywhere your voice falters--rework.

You can hear the long awkward sentences and the over abundance of pet words as well.

Shawn

[This message has been edited by srhowen (edited October 21, 2003).]

Lord Darkstorm
Member # 1610

- posted      Profile for Lord Darkstorm   Email Lord Darkstorm         Edit/Delete Post 
Ok, that makes sense. One of the reasons I asked is that after looking at the nice word counting tool created by Jules I decided it could use a bit more. So I decided to create one. So far it counts nicely and has a few sort and filter items that make it easier to see some of the problems. Once I get the phrase counting and first word counts done I might throw it out for people to play with. My goal is to get it so you can go to the areas that show problems.

I added a filter based on your list of words and discovered that 'was' is a highly used word in some of my stories. Although 'just' is seldome used. I guess looking at the words I use the most would give me a better indication of words I need to look for.

Posts: 807 | Registered: Mar 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Jules
Member # 1658

- posted      Profile for Jules   Email Jules         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
More importantly, I think, is your vocabulary. I follow Theodore Sturgeon's rule: The more important a scene or description is, the more poetic the prose needs to be. Are you using banal and pedestrian words in these important scenes? If so, change them.

On the subject of Theodore Sturgeon, he apparently suggested that tense action passages should be written almost as if they are poetry. Pay attention to the rhythym of the words, and how they flow. Passages that flow smoothly pull the reader on to the next section more quickly, more deeply. An even, continous rhythym can achieve that particularly well. Abrupt changes in the rhythym can subconsciouly pull the reader back, make them feel the change. In places where the pace of your story changes dramatically, try using a rhythmic pattern leading up to it for a few lines, and then a different one after it for a few lines... it is an interesting affect, certainly.

This feels like the kind of thing you want to look at on first rewrite. The first draft is about getting the story down, the rewrite about getting the details right.

Posts: 626 | Registered: Jun 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Marianne
Member # 1546

- posted      Profile for Marianne   Email Marianne         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for tips, everybody. Some good ideas there. I read something in the last couple of days on rewrite that suggest the first thing to do is read through and mark off each scene then go back and rekey each scene in a new file. I am not sure what rekey means. I think it means retype...it sound like a lot of time consuming work, but I did this with the first half of the book when I decided to change from first person to third person. As I went through I changed a bit and added much more necessary info that I had left out the first time. Do any of you do this?
Posts: 173 | Registered: Dec 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
Balthasar
Member # 5399

I don't know what "rekey" means, but I remember Nancy Kress saying that it's a good idea to make a list of your scenes. You want to include the main characters present in the scene, where the scene takes place, and how it advances the story. The point of the exercise is to reveal any disunity within the story. Futhermore, you're in a better position to ask yourself which scenes can be cut, and which scenes can be combined.

[This message has been edited by Balthasar (edited October 21, 2003).]

srhowen
Member # 462

rekey is a term that is used with a computer vs a typewriter. It does mean to retype.

I don't do that. Most of my scenes get that poetry flow (if they are going to have it) on the first draft.

I have also heard that one way to rewrite is to rekey the entire story--not me.

Shawn

lindsay
Member # 1741

- posted      Profile for lindsay   Email lindsay         Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with Balthasar's comments as well as many others, but B's stood out as far as what I try and do.

I always stick a Post-it note right beside my screen and on it are these words: PLOT and PEOPLE.

I write, rewrite and revise as I go along, checking for stylistic things, etc., but before sending anything out, my biggest and most time-consuming check is for the above.

With only plot and people in mind, I look at my work in sections, meaning chapters and the scenes within each chapter.

This is the point where I pull out the outline I created for the story. In it I've listed all that must happen within each chapter concerning the plot and the people, plus have made a breakdown of what must happen within each scene in order to propel the plot and the people forward. Over time, I've written, what I thought, were great scenes, but once I put them to the litmus test of whether or not they propelled both the plot and the people forward, I ended up cutting them.

So, my best advice for your question is to ask yourself these things:

Have you started your story at the exact point it should begin, not a moment too soon or a moment too late in terms of plot and people?

Have you established right up front and with impact the "one thin veto" upon which your main character's (or characters’) happiness/tragedy hinges? The past and present history of the main protagonist and the plot in which you've embroiled him/her/them must be intricately woven into a fast-paced, exiting read right from the get-go, I think. With the very first sentence you must plunk your reader into this character's(s') troubles. There's got to be something immediately at stake for someone we care about or could care about, and then you must keep that investment at a high level through every scene of every chapter, revealing layer by layer plot and people as you whisk your reader to THE END.

I like Kolona's point about things that raise a red flag in your unconscious. I always frame these sections in red, and then come back later. If they make me pause twice, I pitch them or find another way to rewrite them. Oh, heck, who am I kidding?! I struggle with them even if they make me pause once!

Good luck, and how cool to have finished a whole book, yes? What I didn't state in the above is to take a moment and just hold the darned manuscript in your hands and be proud of what you've done! Too many people tell me how they’ll write a book "someday." Too few ever actually do it let alone bother to revise it. I say, you go!

Posts: 87 | Registered: Sep 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

- posted      Profile for Survivor   Email Survivor         Edit/Delete Post 
If I think that something needs to be rewritten, I generally end up rekeying it.

No, not an entire story, usually. But a sentence or paragraph, yes. Also, when I've plot summarized my way past a block, I always completely rekey it, even when I end up using a lot of the words.

I don't say "I re-wrote the whole thing" unless I rekeyed it. If I'm just rekeying a few sentences, then that's what I say.

And while I've fooled with cut and paste edits, I always end up rekeying those as well.

But that's just me.

Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  | Report this post to a Moderator
srhowen
Member # 462

I learned something new tonight. I've read through a manuscript in reverse, last page first to try and trick myself into seeing parts that need work.

Tonight, in my crit groups chat, one member suggested I read it backward. As in start at the end of the lines and read them in reverse to look for typos.

It won't work to find missing words--but I applied that to a couple of pages that my agent said had typos (ones I could not find) and presto they jumped right out at me.

So thought I'd share this.

Shawn

Balthasar
Member # 5399

There might be something to rekeying a story. Is it possible that in the age of word-processors and computers we get lazy and think a rewrite is merely checking grammar, spelling, and vocabulary? If we force ourselve to rekey an entire story, are we not forcing ourselves to retell the entire story and possibly tell it in a better way?

Just a thought (or question).

Jules
Member # 1658

- posted      Profile for Jules   Email Jules         Edit/Delete Post 
I think so. I'm currently doing a rewrite of my first novel, and I'm definitely rekeying for the most part. I'm up to 35,000 words and I think about 2,000 of them are C&P from the original, mostly exposition and descriptive text.

But then the original was severely lacking, IMO. There were a few structural problems with the story, the viewpoint was all over the place, it didn't get close enough to the central characters... and I've changed the name I use to refer to the protagonist (following advice received here, I'm no longer using his surname to refer to him). Oh, and it came out shorter than I was hoping for, so I've added sub-plot. The original was the kind of draft I'd be embarassed to let anyone critique :-)

Having left it for a few years, I'm now definitely of the opinion that complete rewrite is the best way of doing this (I began and abandoned an edit-as-I-read rewrite).

Posts: 626 | Registered: Jun 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Alias
Member # 1645

- posted      Profile for Alias           Edit/Delete Post 
srhowen,

I am most intrigued by a lot of your comments. Could you provide me with some specific examples of your work and how you improved it by hunting for pet words, eliminating was, et cetera.

I think I would find that most interesting. One thing I am trying to learn more about is maintaining a strong active voice and being able to form lucid-flowing sentences.

Posts: 295 | Registered: May 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
PE_Sharp
Member # 1654

- posted      Profile for PE_Sharp   Email PE_Sharp         Edit/Delete Post 
I am definetly going to rekey my novel. Though maybe I should simply say, 'key' my novel. Since this will be the first time it has ever been in a digital format. You see I wrote the whole book in long hand.

The manuscript has been aging for a few months now while I have been distracted by the birth, and caring for, of my first child.

To be honest I am dreading the work - I work my best in a plain room, alone and undistracted. So when I use my computer for actual work, I find it very difficult to concentrate. That said, I am very sure, especially since it is my first novel, a full rewrite is exactly what's needed.

However for the further editing, I have decided to go more or less along with Stephen Kings advice in On Writing (a thoroughly great book), and this topic has further clarified both why and how. Though I am unsure when I will remove the 10%, I feel a long way from having that become a pressing issue.

Congratulations Marianne.

[This message has been edited by PE_Sharp (edited October 27, 2003).]

Posts: 47 | Registered: Jun 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.