Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Does any one know the word for this?

Author Topic: Does any one know the word for this?
srhowen
Member # 462

- posted      Profile for srhowen   Email srhowen         Edit/Delete Post 
hey, does anyone know the word for those pits they dug in Vietnam--the ones with the spikes in the bottom? Was there a word for them?

Shawn

Posts: 1019 | Registered: Apr 2000  | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
Originally they were called "tiger traps" but they may have been given another name when they were used to trap men.

The pointed stakes in the bottom were called "punji sticks" and they were made of sharpened bamboo.

Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  | Report this post to a Moderator
srhowen
Member # 462

- posted      Profile for srhowen   Email srhowen         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks--that helps a lot.
Posts: 1019 | Registered: Apr 2000  | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

- posted      Profile for Survivor   Email Survivor         Edit/Delete Post 
Speaking of 'Does any one know...?' questions, I have to ask what the name of that uberfunny heroic fantasy piece (the one they read at SF-Fantasy conventions for laughs) and where I could find it (I know this thing is posted about a million places online)? I read part of it before, but became physically impaired and had to stop at some point.

I'll look for it in a sort of desultory fashion, but I'm not sure I'll find it and I know that some of you know what I'm talking about.

Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  | Report this post to a Moderator
Marsh
Member # 1687

- posted      Profile for Marsh   Email Marsh         Edit/Delete Post 
I think you might mean "The Eye of Argon", by Jim Theis. You can find it at http://www-users.cs.york.ac.uk/~susan/sf/eyeargon.htm or the Mystery Science Theater 3000 treatment of it at [URL=http://www.bmsc.washington.edu/people/merritt/books/Eye_of_Argon.html].

If this is NOT what you meant, I still recommend it .

[This message has been edited by Marsh (edited November 10, 2003).]

Posts: 3 | Registered: Jul 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Doc Brown
Member # 1118

- posted      Profile for Doc Brown   Email Doc Brown         Edit/Delete Post 
Srhowen: The sharp sticks at the bottom of the pit were called Punji stakes or Punji spikes.
Posts: 976 | Registered: May 2001  | Report this post to a Moderator
Hildy9595
Member # 1489

- posted      Profile for Hildy9595   Email Hildy9595         Edit/Delete Post 
It is indeed the Eye of Argon and is the funniest piece of steaming horsehockey you'll likely ever read. The contest at cons usually consists of people struggling to read as much as possible without cracking up...whomever makes it the furthest wins. Most don't get past a paragraph or two.

The link provided will do it, or you can type "Eye of Argon" in any search engine and access it. Enjoy!

[This message has been edited by Hildy9595 (edited November 10, 2003).]

Posts: 338 | Registered: Aug 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

- posted      Profile for Survivor   Email Survivor         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, it is indeed The Eye of Argon, which recounts the mighty funny deeds and words of 'Grignr' (does anyone know how that is pronounced?).
Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.