Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » A Quick Affect/Effect Question

Author Topic: A Quick Affect/Effect Question
GZ
Member # 1374

- posted      Profile for GZ   Email GZ         Edit/Delete Post 
So here I am, doing a semi-final edit on a shortstory I just finshed. Here's the questioned sentence. I've included the one before it for context.

quote:
I could see his arm tremble, the sheen of fresh sweat glistening on his skin. Never had I seen him so affected, not even when he held the mountain.

Now several mintues spent with the dictionary suggests I've picked the right one, since the the definition of "to produce a material influence upon or alteration in <paraisys affected the limbs>" seems to properly fit the situation and usage above.
Still, I wouldn't mind a few of our grammer experts weighing in on this one.

Posts: 652 | Registered: Feb 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
punahougirl84
Member # 1731

- posted      Profile for punahougirl84   Email punahougirl84         Edit/Delete Post 
You chose wisely!
Posts: 465 | Registered: Aug 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Hildy9595
Member # 1489

- posted      Profile for Hildy9595   Email Hildy9595         Edit/Delete Post 
Agreed!

"It had an effect."

"It affected him."

Posts: 338 | Registered: Aug 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
Balthasar
Member # 5399

- posted      Profile for Balthasar   Email Balthasar         Edit/Delete Post 
What you need to remember is that affect measn to influence or to have an influence on, and effect measn to bring about, to execute. So you get the sentence:
quote:
The two-party coalition effected the passage of the tax program, which will affect almost every tax-payer.

Perhaps the easiest litmus-test you can perform is the following: you've used the correct word (affect, effect) if you can replace "affect" with "influence" and "effect" with "execute." For example:
quote:
The two-party coalition executed the passage of the tax program, which will influence almost every tax-payer.

This test isn't infallible, but it will work in most circumstances.

And in answer to your question: You're correct.

Posts: 130 | Registered: Apr 2007  | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

- posted      Profile for Survivor   Email Survivor         Edit/Delete Post 
Generally speaking, use 'affect' as a verb and 'effect' as a noun. If you stick to that, then you don't have to worry about the subsidiary meanings of either word.

Side question here, is this a story about Atlas or something?

Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  | Report this post to a Moderator
GZ
Member # 1374

- posted      Profile for GZ   Email GZ         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks all! Usually I don't have a problems with effect/affect, but this one struck me strange for some reason.

quote:
Side question here, is this a story about Atlas or something?

Actually, it isn't. The mountain holding is really only backstory, and has very little to do with the events of the story.

Posts: 652 | Registered: Feb 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.