Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » P.O.V.

Author Topic: P.O.V.
Balthasar
Member # 5399

- posted      Profile for Balthasar   Email Balthasar         Edit/Delete Post 
In another thread, we started down the road of discussing point of view (POV). I’d like to do two things with this thread. First, provide a very basic synopsis of POV based off of Damon Knight’s Creating Short Fiction. Second (and with ya’lls help), assemble a reading list of both short and long fiction (hopefully the short fiction is accessible) so we have some concrete stuff to study.

According to Mr. Knight, there are four basic POVs from which one can choose.

1. Omniscient: In a word, the author is a god. As Knight says, “The omniscient author still has the tale-teller’s power to condense or summarize events and to move freely among the characters. She can go into the central character’s mind, to show what he is thinking and feeling; then she can drift out and look at him quite objectively and with amusement. She can also look at other characters” in the same way.

2. Limited Omniscient: With this POV, you can talk about your character from both the inside and the outside—you can describe what they look like as well as what they’re feeling. Keep in mind that it’s limited, which means you’re limited to one character. As Mr. Knight says, you may only want to use this viewpoint for the first few paragraphs before moving into a single-character viewpoint.

3. The Detached Viewpoint: The author is merely an observer of events: what people say, what they are wearing, what they are doing, etc. In this viewpoint, the author is forbidden to do two things—he can't tell us what’s going on in the head of a character, and he can’t interpret a characters actions. The second forbidden aspect of this POV is the hardest to get a hold of, since so much of what we do is an interpretation of actions. If we see a person sitting on the edge of her chair, we can interpret that in a variety of ways, but not if we’re writing in a detached viewpoint. We can’t say, “Sally sat on the edge of her chair in nervous anticipation.” Rather, we must show what Sally is doing: “Sally sat on the edge of her chair, biting her nails, knees bouncing,” or something to that effect. As authors, we must let the character’s actions speak for themselves.

4. The Single-Character Viewpoint: Here, we have to decide if we’re writing in first person (I said, I did, I thought, etc) or third person (Ted did, Sue said, Ryan thought). (I’m assuming no one here is avant-garde enough to write in second person.) Let’s start with third person.

When we writ in a third person POV, we have to decide if we’re going to write in a subjective way or an objective way. A third person subjective POV means two things. First, we can’t describe the outside of the character—we can’t tell the readers what he looks like. Second, we can—indeed, we must—speak directly about the inside of the character: his feelings, his thoughts, his sensations.

With third person objective, the opposite is true. We can describe the outside of the character—we can describe what he looks like—but we cannot speak directly about the inside of the characters. (I don’t really understand the difference between 3rd person objective and a limited omniscient viewpoint.)

If you’re writing in first person, you’re automatically in a single-character viewpoint—no question about it. But how the taleteller relates to the story is a different matter. The first-person taleteller doesn’t have to be the protagonist, the hero, of the story. A good example of this kind of narrative are the Sherlock Holmes stories, told in the first-person by Dr. Watson. On the other hand, the taleteller can be the hero, the primary mover of the story.

Another concern is how the first-person storyteller is going to tell the story. Will it be in the form of a memoir or a series of journal entries? Or, does the storyteller know he’s telling a story? If that’s they case, who is his audience? One person? A family? Or, does he not only know he’s telling a story, but does he know it will be published and read—in other words, is every reader his audience? Will he address the audience or not? Is he a trustworthy storyteller, or will he tell the story to deliberately mislead the readers?

We could talk about tense, but I don’t see the point. Personally, I enjoy first-person stories told in the present tense, but, strangely, I don’t like third-person stories told in the present tense. Perhaps it’s because the present tense used with a first-person narrative gives an warm-hearted immediacy to the story. I don’t know.

[This message has been edited by Balthasar (edited November 11, 2003).]

Posts: 130 | Registered: Apr 2007  | Report this post to a Moderator
Balthasar
Member # 5399

Now, what about a reading list. Please be as exhaustive as you like.

OMNISCIENT: The first three Dragonlance novels were written in the omniscient POV. Can’t think of anything better right now.

LIMITED OMNISCIENT: ????

DETACHED VIEWPOINT: Anton Chekhov’s short story, “The Lament.” Damon Knight recommends the short stories of John O’Hara.

THIRD PERSON, SUBJECTIVE: I think Orson Scott Card’s Ender’s Game is a fine example of this POV, worthy of much study.

THIRD PERSON, OBJECTIVE: ??? Partly because I don’t see the difference between this POV and the Limited Omniscient POV. It seems to me that one can easily alternate between a third-person objective and a third-person subjective. Perhaps Isaac Asimov’s “Nightfall” would fit into this category as well as Tolkien’s The Lord of the Rings.

FIRST PERSON:

-- Telling about another hero: Arthur Conan Doyle, The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes
-- The narrator is the hero: Stephen King, Bag of Bones
-- Talking to the audience: Herman Melville, Moby Dick
-- Writing a diary: Daniel Keyes, “Flowers for Algernon”
-- Untrustworthy narrator: Ford Maddox Ford, The Good Soldier (perhaps the most famous example of the untrustworthy narrator).

If you’re really up to it, read Faulkner’s The Sound and the Fury for a very intense lesson about writing in the first person. The novel has four parts, the first three are narrated in the first person by three different brothers—the first is a mentally retarded man in his 30s; the second is a intelligent Harvard freshman; the third is a blue-collar worker in his 30s. You’ll quickly see that writing in a first-person POV is very difficult because you must become the narrator. The fourth part is written in omniscient, which is a fine example in its own right. You can learn a lot from that novel.

[This message has been edited by Balthasar (edited November 11, 2003).]

Lord Darkstorm
Member # 1610

- posted      Profile for Lord Darkstorm   Email Lord Darkstorm         Edit/Delete Post 
OMNISCIENT: R.A. Salvator. Any of the Forgotten Realms books are writen in omniscient.

Posts: 807 | Registered: Mar 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
srhowen
Member # 462

- posted      Profile for srhowen   Email srhowen         Edit/Delete Post 
There is a lot of very bad first person out there because new writers think it is the easiest way to write--hmm, hey I can write first person I'll just pretend to be the character. Not so, it is a very difficult POV to pull off without giving the reader "I" fits.

With any POV the writer must remember that they can only write, tell, show what the POV character knows.

So often lines such as: but he just didn't know it yet, or worse was to come sneak into first person or limited third. If the character doesn't know it then he can't think about it.

Another thing that makes first person so hard is character description--we don't look at ourselves in the mirror and think about what we look like. We don't describe those around us that we know well, or rooms, scenes etc that we know well--so it becomes a real challenge to get these descriptions in.

Shawn

Posts: 1019 | Registered: Apr 2000  | Report this post to a Moderator
Hildy9595
Member # 1489

- posted      Profile for Hildy9595   Email Hildy9595         Edit/Delete Post 
I have a question: what, exactly, is second-person? I'm sure I must have seen it before, but can't for the life of me come up with what it would entail? Not that I plan on writing in that way, mind you -- I do know it's very unpopular. I just wanted a definition, please. Thanks!
Posts: 338 | Registered: Aug 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
Nexus Capacitor
Member # 1694

- posted      Profile for Nexus Capacitor   Email Nexus Capacitor         Edit/Delete Post 
Second person is like this:

You walk down stairs into the kitchen. You open the fridge and cold air and dim light bathe your face. You reach in and grab a carton of milk and drink right from the spout. Your wife would be angry, if she hadn't already left you. Maybe it was a mistake to sleep with all those prostitutes. Not that there's anything you can do about it now. You toss the carton to the floor and stomp on it. Slamming the fridge door shut, you walk into the living room where your shotgun leans against the fireplace...

Sorry I don't have a formal definition on hand, but I hope the example helps.

Posts: 144 | Registered: Jul 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
James Maxey
Member # 1335

- posted      Profile for James Maxey   Email James Maxey         Edit/Delete Post 
If you're like most people, you use second person all the time in normal speech. Sure, you wouldn't want to read a whole story written in the second person, but for short, coloquial conversations, you have to admit it serves a purpose. Or, maybe you feel differently, and cringe every time you hear it. But that probably puts you in the minority.

--James Maxey

Posts: 252 | Registered: Dec 2001  | Report this post to a Moderator
Balthasar
Member # 5399

quote:
With any POV the writer must remember that they can only write, tell, show what the POV character knows.

So often lines such as: but he just didn't know it yet, or worse was to come sneak into first person or limited third. If the character doesn't know it then he can't think about it.

A slight qualification. So long as we talk about writing from a character viewpoint, this is correct. But if we write from an omniscient viewpoint, then we certainly say things like, "...but he didn't know that yet." I know Shawn knows what she's talking about; I wanted only to make it a little clearer.

quote:
Another thing that makes first person so hard is character description--we don't look at ourselves in the mirror and think about what we look like. We don't describe those around us that we know well, or rooms, scenes etc that we know well--so it becomes a real challenge to get these descriptions in.

True! It's for this reason that if we write in the first person, we have to decide on the author's relationship to his audience. And what I learned from Faulkner's The Sound and the Fury is that we also have to decide on the author's intelligence. You don't have to read Faulkner to learn this lesson; you can read Daniel Keyes, "The Flowers of Algernon," which is a wonderful and profound story in its own right.

Regarding Hildy's comment -- Has anyone ever read a good or successful story written in 2nd person? If so, what is it and how can we get a hold of it?

Another good story written from an omniscient viewpoint -- and much better than the Slop put out by Dungeons and Dragons -- is Homer's The Iliad.

Marianne
Member # 1546

- posted      Profile for Marianne   Email Marianne         Edit/Delete Post 
One of my favorite 1st person POV stories is Connie Willis' To Say Nothing of the Dog...excellent book.
Posts: 173 | Registered: Dec 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
MaryRobinette
Member # 1680

- posted      Profile for MaryRobinette   Email MaryRobinette         Edit/Delete Post 
This brings up a problem I've had with a couple of short stories. I've written them in omniscient voice, but then get critiques back that tell me I need to define my POV character. In a short piece, how do you let the audience know that you are not writing in third person? Does it require a stronger narrator voice?
Posts: 2022 | Registered: Jul 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Hildy9595
Member # 1489

- posted      Profile for Hildy9595   Email Hildy9595         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks, all! So second person is like a Write Your Own Adventure book. "You walk into the dungeon. Suddenly an orc leaps out. You then a) die b) whack him with your axe c) ask him out on a date.

Got it!

Posts: 338 | Registered: Aug 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

- posted      Profile for Survivor   Email Survivor         Edit/Delete Post 
Most of the Tom Clancy books I've read were in full-on Omniscient.
Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  | Report this post to a Moderator
srhowen
Member # 462

An entire book in omni works well. But when doing a short story it is usually best to choose a single POV such as third or first.

Shawn

loggrad98
Member # 1724

- posted      Profile for loggrad98   Email loggrad98         Edit/Delete Post 
"we don't look at ourselves in the mirror and think about what we look like."

NOT true. If you really believe this then you have never had to go to a 20 year reunion and wonder if you were fatter than anyone else, or had a wife that gained a few pounds over Thanksgiving, or had a big date (meeting, job interview, trip to the store, fill in the blank) to worry about, or simply dressed yourself in the morning and noted the mustard stain on your favorite yellow and green checkered tie as you rushed out the door (that description alone speaks volumes).

Bulimia and anorexia epidemics prove that we constantly look at ourselves in the mirror and think about how we look. We all have our rituals of this every morning before going out. "Bad hair day" is most often thought about by the owner of the supposed bad hair than anyone viewing them, probably because we are all worried we are having a bad hair day ourselves (or have a mustard stained tie to hide).

It is very easy to work in some description of the POV character in this case, as we all are constantly aware of the outward image we project, otherwise my son would not cry like a baby if he doesn't get the new $300 jeans that are in style, or my daughter would not throw fits over the small gap between her front teeth when it is school picture day (I keep telling her the dentist wants to wait on braces, she wants to hear none of it).

How we look, including complete descriptions (favorite shirt, I guess these jeans will do, where the h-e-double-toohpicks are my black pumps) is a very basic part of our self-image and would come out very naturally in the course of a day. Everyone thinks of themselves as pretty or ugly or normal or plain or georgeous or a knock-out or a lady killer or downright handsome (despite the afforementioned mustard-stained tie) and this descriptor can change day to day or minute to minute. As proof, my wife thought of herself as the prettiest girl in her class at her high-school reunion, for once not asking me constantly if she looked fat in her dress...until her old nemesis showed up 20 pounds lighter and several thousand dollars of plastic surgery prettier than in high school. Right then, my wife went from pretty to butt-ugly in her own mind and spent much of the night trying to hide. Everyone can think of similar examples from their own lives with just a few seconds introspective or a glimpse in the mirror.

Right now I am very aware of the fact that my tummy is being squashed up against the desk as I type this, and I will think about it again later when I try to do 20 situps before bed. And believe me that does not paint a very pretty picture, but it would work as description in a story.

Posts: 45 | Registered: Aug 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
loggrad98
Member # 1724

I would "C" ask the orc out on a date, if it was a girl orc. Otherwise I would opt for "D" run for my life, because I am not very good with an axe.

[This message has been edited by loggrad98 (edited November 11, 2003).]

Jules
Member # 1658

- posted      Profile for Jules   Email Jules         Edit/Delete Post 
An interesting question for you all... one of the 'how to write' books that I read a while back contained a "rule" that suggested you should never write from the POV of a character that dies before the end of your story, because there would be no way of knowing what their viewpoint was. This seems a little restrictive to me; obviously it would be hard to make a 1st person account work (!), but I don't think many readers would have a problem with doing this in 3rd person, would they?
Posts: 626 | Registered: Jun 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
srhowen
Member # 462

Using the mirror is a bad way to describe a character--or have them describe themselves. OK--yeah your character can look in the mirror and think "man, these crow feet. And this turkey neck--ugh." Great.

Better: Mary glared at her reflection in the mirror and pulled the skin upward near her eyes getting rid of the crowfeet around her eyes. When she tried to do the same thing with the bagging "turkey skin" under her chin she almost choked herself.

But unless we are getting new contacts and a hair dye job, characters don't look in a mirror and think in descriptions.

John looked in the mirror. He had blue eyes, and sandy blond hair. His skin was tan, beach bum tan-etc

This is classic telling and an easy out.

What you describe as reasons to describe by looking a mirror are not character descriptions--they are parts of character trait.

If Susan looks in the mirror and decides she has a fat butt that doesn't equate to a general character description. We have Susan look in mirror decide her butt is too fat and then run off to the gym. Then we have her overhear someone there talking about her protruding bones and have her think they have to be speaking of the person next to her. Then we have an anorexic.

But the old look in the mirror to tell us a characters characteristics is a cliché way of doing it and a turn off for most editors ( I won't say all--I'll just think it OK?)

It shows a lack of creativity to fall back on such a thing--the reflective surface cop out.

And you bet--I look in the mirror when I get dressed or when I brush my teeth and notice flaws--but I don't notice I have dark brown eyes and dark, a few shades away form black hair. Or that I'm 5'4. We notice the abnormal but not the normal.

Make sense now?

Shawn

Balthasar
Member # 5399

Jules,

Neither the rule nor the explination makes sense to me ... unless, of course, you're writing in first person. But even then you can have the character die at the end of the story -- you'll have to imply it and you can't show it. Think of 2 Timothy and 2 Peter in the New Testament -- both of those know they're on the threshold of execution.

I would promptly dismiss both the advise as well as the book.

James Maxey
Member # 1335

- posted      Profile for James Maxey   Email James Maxey         Edit/Delete Post 
A good writer should have all the tools of the trade available to him. The trick is knowing when, how, and why to use each tool. Knowing only how to write third person, past tense, is like only having a screwdriver in your tool box. Arguing whether third person, past tense is better than first person, present tense is like arguing whether a screwdriver is more useful than a hammer. It all depends on what you want to accomplish.

Character description, for instance. Does every story need a detailed description of your character? If you absolutely must have a camera trained on your character describing how he looks in each scene, then, sure, first person is probably not your best choice of voice. On the other hand, first person is a terrific voice to use if you are hiding information.

Consider Poe's "Tell Tale Heart." This is a perfect example of a story that requires first person for its impact. The narrator is plainly insane: "TRUE! nervous, very, very dreadfully nervous I had been and am; but why WILL you say that I am mad? The disease had sharpened my senses, not destroyed, not dulled them. Above all was the sense of hearing acute. I heard all things in the heaven and in the earth. I heard many things in hell. How then am I mad? Hearken! and observe how healthily, how calmly, I can tell you the whole story." What gives the story its tremendous energy is that the character doesn't think that he's insane. You could tell the same events with the more objective third person voice, but you would lose the uncanny appeal of the story, which is the detailed, methodical, even logical recounting of the POV characters description of why he killed a man and hid him under the floorboards. Of course, the first person POV means Poe skips over things other people might find important in a story--we don't know what the POV character looks like, we don't know his name, we know almost nothing of his life beyond the night of the murder. All we have are his voice and his story... and that's all that is needed to craft what may be one of the most successful stories ever written.

An interesting excercise would be to take a familiar fairy tale--say the story of Chicken Little--and tell it from four or five different points of view and tenses.
Every voice has its advantages and disadvantages. Eventually you can learn to make these work for you.

--James Maxey

Posts: 252 | Registered: Dec 2001  | Report this post to a Moderator
Enders Star
Member # 1578

- posted      Profile for Enders Star   Email Enders Star         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Balthasar, still looking for the book but until then I have this handy.
Posts: 59 | Registered: Jan 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

It's perfectly okay to have a POV character die before the end of the story...as long as that character wasn't the only POV character up to that point. If you are working with just one POV character, and that character dies, then the story is over, regardless of whether it is in first or third person.

By the by, it is certainly possible to write multiple POV stories in first person, and several of the conventional methods of writing a first person story lend themselves well to this (for instance, the series of letters to an interested party). If I'm writing a story in letters both parties are sending to a mutual friend, then--if one of the POV characters happens to die--I can simply continue the story with the other character's letters.

As for 2nd Timothy, Paul is in prison awaiting execution, but he isn't actually executed during the narrative (and it isn't really a narrative at all--he barely mentions his own circumstances). The same is true of 2nd Peter...except that it is Peter rather than Paul telling things (which are again not a narrative).

Speaking of Peter and Paul, you can continue to write from the POV of a deceased character if you are willing to positively assert that the personality and consciousness of that character has survived death in some fashion--whether theological or medi-technical. Plenty of SF and Fantasy has taken this approach to dealing with the death of a main character. It is also an accepted technique in some mainstream fiction (though there it is usually theological survival rather than medi-technical).

Balthasar
Member # 5399

Maybe I wasn't clear with my reference to 2 Tim and 2 Pet. The point I was trying to make is that you could write a story in first person in which, at the end of the story, the character does indeed die. But the narrative has to end before that.

I'm not talking about writing as a cancer patient who will evenutally die. Rather, I'm talking about a man that will die shortly after he stops writing. Perhaps like Peter and Paul he is on death row, scheduled to be executed at 7 AM on July 12, and the narrative ends at 6:10 AM on July 12 when the guards show up with the priest.

But I suppose my point is fairly self-evident.

This brings up a question. When you're writing in the first person, do you have to assume that person himself knows he's writing? Does the narrator need to know he's telling a story?

This should probably be written in the present tense, of course. A lot of the action would have to take place in the mind -- hence, the story would have to be radically interior and psychological. You couldn't write, "I go downstairs to confront Mary." Rather, you'd have to write. "Damn that Mary. I can't believe she did that. Where the hell is she at? I see her in the kitchen, munching on some Fritos like nothing happened. Damn her."

If the fact of the two-story house is important in a story told in this way, then you'd have to find a way to let the reader know without the narrator consciously reflecting on going up and down stairs. This wouldn't really be that hard. I grew up in a two-story house. Sometimes I didn't think much about it, other times I did. Espeically when Dad told me to go upstairs and turn the lights out in my bedroom.

So I suppose my question is this: is it possible to tell a story in the first person in such a way that the reader more or less feels as if he is participting in the narrator's life?

This might be an interesting experiment.

Enders Star
Member # 1578

- posted      Profile for Enders Star   Email Enders Star         Edit/Delete Post 
I enjoy writing in First Person, I like to know what is going in a characters head from that characters POV. So when I read novels like To Kill a Mockingbird, or Starship Troopers, I got a lot out of it. When i read Chris Bunch's Last Legion series, you understood your characters, in a form of how he described them, by their actions. But I have a question. Can I write a story, in two different POVs? I want to write 90% of the story in first Person, or 3rd subjective, then focus on a different character from an omniscent limited POV. By seperating the different sections by chapter titles. Can it be done, without confusing my reader or being mocked by other writers?
srhowen
Member # 462

Yes, you can write first person so that it seems you are directly in the story. And it does not have to be present tense.

If people can read the story and then later say, was that in first person? Huh. You know you have done it.

Can I explain how to do it--most likely not without sounding like an arrogant pompous donkey's rear. I can do it.

Let me try--you have to avoid any communication with the reader--IE my trouble began on Monday morning--blah blah--then the reader is being talked to.

Avoid descriptions of things the character would not describe--the room he's lived in for ten years. (Now this does not count if the room is suddenly changed, but that change has to have something to do with moving the plot of the story.

Avoid knowledge the I character Couldn't have.

It's a balance of wording and description told from a single tight POV. I think you need to read a lot of first person, good and bad to figure out how to do it well.

Shawn

Survivor
Member # 213

Write whatever you like. The oft quoted phrase around here is that you have to write about 10,000 words or lines or pages of crap anyway.

But when you are starting to get serious about writing so that other people can and will read it, start by learning to write in Third Person Limited Omniscient. This is the easiest form to master, and it also has the virtue of being the easiest for the reader to understand.

Unless you are writing an autobiographical account of your own experiences, First Person is very difficult to do well. You don't just have the issues of dealing with writing as writing, you also have the whole thing of creating a fictional narrator to narrate the fictional events in a fictional voice.

I don't even know why I'm bothering to write this reply, since I'm almost positive that when you say First Person you actually mean Third Person Limited Omniscient. But then again, I'm just not quite sure.

srhowen
Member # 462

First Person-- I did it. The "I" POV

Shawn

Jules
Member # 1658

quote:
Can I write a story, in two different POVs? I want to write 90% of the story in first Person, or 3rd subjective, then focus on a different character from an omniscent limited POV.

Yes.

If you haven't read it, I would recommend you read The Strange Case of Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde; its available for free download from ibiblio.org I think. If memory serves (and its been a fair few years since I read it myself, so I could be totally mixed up her) that's a story told in 1st person from two different viewpoints, and it is generally regarded as a classic.

In 3rd person, this is done all the time. Generally its best to restrict the number of characters you use as viewpoints as far as you can; in my current work-in-progress I've used 2 POV characters so far, a scene in the next chapter will need me to introduce a third for a limited period of time, that will probably be about it. My protagonist is used as viewpoint in approximately 90% of the scenes; only for scenes where he is not present do I generally consider using another viewpoint. This is all in 3rd person limited.

Enders Star
Member # 1578

The reason I was wondering is because I want to show my world from two perspectives. Get you in the mind of a soldier, a regular soldier, then show you the commander of all the soldiers. It is to show the struggles of power in a political office and how someone who had been and formed the empire from the beginning is have to feud with generals and polititians. Then show a soldier, and his feud with his sergeant and fellow "brothers and sisters." other soldiers.
Survivor
Member # 213

And my question about what you mean by 'First Person', '3rd subjective', and 'omniscent limited POV'?

When you say 'First Person' do you mean the story will be told in terms of 'I'?

srhowen
Member # 462

hmm, now I am not sure you are talking to me--LOL

First person: I walked out to my car and found that some weirdo had crapped on the hood. Man, was I po'd about that.

Omni limited is knowing only one character's thoughts and views--which to me is the same as limited third, but with the added bouns that some all knowing (the author) can put thoughts in about that character)--we can get things like: John walked out the door, happy as can be. Debbie walked down the street he sure did love the way her blond hair shone in the sun. If only he had known that asking her on a date would be the end of it all.

3rd subjective-- the story is told in third person but from the POV of a single character, or several characters in turn Susan left her office at 3pm and went to the bakery to get her daily bread. She bought five loaves. (new chapter) John answered the phone, it was Sally at the bakery telling him about that Susan had bought five lovas of bread. He was angry that Susan had gone off her low carb diet again.

Ok, dumb examples--they are meant to be.

So this is how I see the three main POV choices:

first person; the story is told in first person from one character’s POV

third person subjective; the story is told in third person, but from the POV of a single character, or several characters in turn.

omniscient: the narrator possesses a God-like overview of the story and can enter into any of the characters’ consciousness or render observations that the character is not aware of.

Shawn

Enders Star
Member # 1578

Yes I mean as in "I"
Survivor
Member # 213

Then don't do it...at least not the way you described it above. Writing a multiple POV first person narrative takes a lot of skill, and it isn't a good way to set about learning the craft. Furthermore, unless you have the first person character from the first person part of the narrative stay the narrator for the third person parts of the story (which you could do with this story...if you have your soldier later become a writer and write his own account of the war and his part in it) the whole switch from first person to third person is going to really tick your readers off bigtime.

The key is that once you learn how, you can do almost anything...I've read second person stories that were brilliant (but you've never heard of any of them, which should probably serve as a warning). But until you know how to write third person single character limited omniscient...you don't know anything. Third person limited omniscient--telling the story of a third person character with access to the thoughts, feelings, and perceptions of that character and no others--is the easiest way to effectively tell and to intelligibly recieve any non-epic fictional story (and there simply is no easy way to do epic properly).

loggrad98
Member # 1724

Sorry to chime in so late again, but I have a response to 1st person POV and character description....

NO WHERE did I advocate having your character look directly in the mirror and make a bland boring descriptive sentence that is totally out of place. It can be done throughout the course of a story or scene if done creatively. The point is, it can be done.

I still must say that I disagree that we do not notice our appearance, even the "normal" things. Color of eyes can determine color of an outfit, to best set them off. Height is an issue that affects clothes we wear and sometimes a person's self-esteem and can be worked in that way, or as a view that person has of an event that a taller person would see very differently. Even being terminally "normal" can come out in a variety of ways, and saying something like that is a description in and of itself (maybe not a good one, but it IS a description).

I just feel that we are shorting ourselves creatively to make a blanket statement that we do not notice how we look, as we really all do and it would not take much to get a great description in using 1st person POV, WITHOUT using a mirror or any reflective surface whatsoever.

[This message has been edited by loggrad98 (edited November 16, 2003).]

Phanto
Member # 1619

- posted      Profile for Phanto   Email Phanto         Edit/Delete Post 
loggrad98:
I agree exactly with what you said.

For instance:

He jumped out of bed and pulled on his blue shirt because it matched his eyes, and the girls said it looked good.

Posts: 697 | Registered: Mar 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
EricJamesStone
Member # 1681

- posted      Profile for EricJamesStone   Email EricJamesStone         Edit/Delete Post 
I started to glance in the mirror so I could casually let the reader know what I look like. But then I remembered that I had no reflection because I'm a vampire. (Very inconvenient, especially while shaving.) I decided I would have to find another way of giving the reader my description -- maybe one that wasn't so cliched.
Posts: 1517 | Registered: Jul 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Jules
Member # 1658

Do the undead need to shave? I'd always rather assumed that their hair growth stopped...
Enders Star
Member # 1578

Actually when you die your nails and hair continue to grow until you decay to a point it can't.
pickled shuttlecock
Member # 1714

- posted      Profile for pickled shuttlecock           Edit/Delete Post 
Actually, that's quite false. What actually happens is that your skin dries out and recedes a bit, creating the illusion of growth.

I wouldn't be nearly so nit-picky if this weren't a board frequented by science fiction authors.

Posts: 84 | Registered: Aug 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

The cells of your hair follicles and cuticles can remain alive for days or even weeks after you die (depending on circumstances), and the hair and nails do continue to grow...but not very much. Most of the apparent growth is indeed an illusion.
rickfisher
Member # 1214

- posted      Profile for rickfisher   Email rickfisher         Edit/Delete Post 
The gums also recede, making the teeth seem to have grown. Thus, digging up a dead body after a few days, you might have the impression that the corpse is still alive in some way (because of the "growth" of the nails and hair) and has become a vampire (because of the teeth). I believe that the breakdown of capillaries can also cause blood to appear around the mouth (we're not talking about embalmed bodies here), but I don't remember any details about that.

Oh, yeah. I guess this was supposed to be a POV thread, wasn't it? We seem to have gotten a bit off topic.

[This message has been edited by rickfisher (edited November 18, 2003).]

Posts: 932 | Registered: Jul 2001  | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

Good point about your teeth, the cells in your teeth also can say viable (though perhaps not alive as such) for some time after death as well...though your teeth don't really grow at all.

Anyway, while we haven't gotten back to POV, we have returned to a discussion of vampires...does that count for anything?

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.