Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » I figured it out

Author Topic: I figured it out
pickled shuttlecock
Member # 1714

- posted      Profile for pickled shuttlecock           Edit/Delete Post 
For a school assignment, I'm critiquing another student's research paper. I find the subject fascinating (therapy options for treating acne), but every time I read it, it puts me to sleep. My chemistry book does the same thing to me, though I'm thoroughly amazed by the material sometimes.

The phenomenon has been bugging me for a few months. But now that I have two printed works that do it, I've discovered a common thread: both the research paper and the book use more passive voice than active.

I never woulda thunk it. I knew passive voice was bad, but I didn't know that it's basically printed chloroform.

Posts: 84 | Registered: Aug 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Christine
Member # 1646

- posted      Profile for Christine   Email Christine         Edit/Delete Post 
I never thought about it, I thought perhaps the material was putting me to sleep, but that's not true. When people talk to me about subjects like chemistry, I find it fascinating, but when I read about it I go to sleep.

I just remembered that when I took science clases in college I was instructed to write lab reports in the passive voice. It was actually a challenging exercise for me, the active voice has always been more natural for me.

Now I'm going to have to write some stuff in the passive voice just to see if it puts me to sleep even if it's not physics or chemistry.

Posts: 3567 | Registered: May 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
izzy crow
Member # 1824

- posted      Profile for izzy crow   Email izzy crow         Edit/Delete Post 
I do not think passive voice is necessarily a characteristic of all science text books, but it is a must in scientific research papers and reports. -- That's one thing that messed me up so much in college. Being of both science and liberal arts major, I kept on using the passive when I shouldn't be and active when passive was required. Bleh.

That said... I am lead to think that passive voice is not what induces sleep in those text books. I think I'd blame it on how detailed those books are and how in depth they go -- uninteresting information for people who are not completely into scientific researches.

--

By the way, hello everyone! My very first post here.

[This message has been edited by izzy crow (edited December 11, 2003).]

Posts: 7 | Registered: Dec 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Balthasar
Member # 5399

- posted      Profile for Balthasar   Email Balthasar         Edit/Delete Post 
There is no rule in academia that papers must be written the passive voice. I know, I used to live there. However, passive voice is more common in non-fiction because one often wants to emphasize the paper's subject throughout. So, if I'm writing a paper for an art class about a building, and one paragraph is going to be dedicated to the history of the building, that entire paragraph might be written in the passive voice to keep its subject in line with the overall subject of the essay.

For example, I might write: "Building-A was built by John Smith in 1850. In 1863, it was modified in this way by Dave Jones. Etc." This way I can maintain the unity of the topic throughout the paper. But once I move from its history to its specific features, I should write in the active voice.

Just becasue academics don't write in the active voice doesn't mean that academic papers are restricted to the passive voice. The best academic writers (usually historians, but not always) write in the active voice.

[This message has been edited by Balthasar (edited December 11, 2003).]

Posts: 130 | Registered: Apr 2007  | Report this post to a Moderator
Christine
Member # 1646

Actually, there are some departments that REQUIRE passive voice, it is not just that the papers are not written in active voice. Most of the engineering departments where I wnt to school did, in fact, require the use of passive voice. Marks were taken off for use of active voice.
pickled shuttlecock
Member # 1714

See, that's why I love my major. Active voice is just fine.

(Computer science is cool. It's a science - if they teach it right - but not weighed down by all that centuries-old crap.)

Why, pray tell, would anybody require passive voice? What does it gain you? I mean, there are times when you need to use it (unknown subject, etc.), but when would you need to use it for every last bleeding sentence?

Here's the example I gave in my critique:

"In order to prevent any potential damage to the eyes, goggles are worn when light therapy is performed."

Ack. Here's a good one:

"Patients wear goggles when undergoing light therapy to prevent any potential eye damage."

What circumstances would require someone to choose the former?

izzy crow
Member # 1824

Science research publications are mostly all in passive voice, because(as someone already mentioned before me), the subject needs to be emphasized not the one who did the research.

Compare: "25 ml of saline solution was added to ..."
To: "Bill and I added 25ml of saline solution to..."

The first emphasizes the action itself (adding of saline solution). Second, what matters here (seemingly) is whoever "I" is and Bill did the adding.

I guess what I'm just trying to say, passive voice is not wrong. It's simply a different style of expression. You may not agree, but the scientific community have stuck to them because it works the best for what it is trying to achieve.

---

(Computer science is cool. It's a science - if they teach it right - but not weighed down by all that centuries-old crap.)

1. Well, yes, it's a new field. But no need to call the convention of the older scientific fields... "centuries-old crap".

2. Whether they teach it right or no, it is a science .

[This message has been edited by izzy crow (edited December 12, 2003).]

Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
Pickled's rewrite of the passive sentence accomplishes the goal of science writing (that the science or procedure be emphasized rather than the scientist) without being so boringly and awkwardly passive.

I submit that passive voice may be the easiest way to emphasize the science/process, but it is not the only way.

Because it may be the easiest, it may be the way that the lazier scientific writers choose to write (or at least those who are more interested in good science than they are in good writing).

And that easiness may have made it prevalent to the point where it has just become the "way things are done"--whether it is actually required writing style in a particular field or not.

Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  | Report this post to a Moderator
izzy crow
Member # 1824

Kathleen, I understand your point. But I am not so sure if it is fair to group the scientists who write in passive voice as lazy people.

I am not sure what your background is and how extensive a reading you have done into scientific journals and research publications (and i'm not talking about science magazines). But I have yet to hear complaint from the scientific community on the style of writing itself. For one, the scientist who are write these journals are more concerned with their experiements/discoveries, not on hows of making it sound good.

At this point, probably you are thinking, no matter how exciting the research is, how can awful writing pull in audience. This would make sense if you are looking at it from a mainstream publication writers' POV. Since in that circle the writing styles tend to be as important as the subject they are writing on. But what people don't realize is that the letters in the scientific researches are as important as (or even less so than) the way the graphs and figures are presented in the publication.

You say easiest became a norm. Even if it truly were that were the case is that so bad? Why would someone what to invest effort and time on something that at the end of the day matters little?

Criticizing and questioning a set of norms set in the past is not a bad thing. But if such critique comes from a limited and uninformed view of someone outside the concerned circle, I wonder how fairly the critique could assess the 'problem' at hand?

I agree: that the scientific community needs to make a point in understanding the non-scientific audience. And model the text books (especially of that in gradeschool) in such a way that they are both more readable and interesting (as some of the well received science magazine have already done so).

But if you so find the need to criticize the stylistic issues of the scientific publications, then do so for those that affect you directly. There is no reason to generalize and accuse us of being 'lazy' in using the 'century-old crap'.

[This message has been edited by izzy crow (edited December 13, 2003).]

pickled shuttlecock
Member # 1714

Hey. I said the "centuries-old crap" thing.

Isn't it the role of a scientist to question? Why should that not extend to style? Does questioning stop at popular convention?

A large portion of the computer science discipline has abandoned the "passive voice at all costs" style. Serious papers from serious researchers routinely use "I" and "we" to describe experimentation. Alan Turing's famous paper, "On Computable Numbers," which is widely regarded as the beginning of computer science, starts its fourth sentence with "I hope."

One thing I recently learned in a computational theory class - from a very, very pedantic grader - was that it doesn't matter how right you are if you can't communicate it. It naturally follows that you should place importance on good style, because good style is an integral part of effective communication.

I wouldn't say that people who write in passive voice only are inherently lazy. I'd say they lack education.

izzy crow
Member # 1824

I wouldn't say that people who write in passive voice only are inherently lazy. I'd say they lack education.

I'm sorry to hear that. So far I thought I was engaging myself in a mutual discussion, not a tirade of words and accusations. I now realize I have made a faulty assumption.

Pickled, since you are a writer yourself (or an aspiring one) and have the ability to fashion words well, you are the educated one. I guess there can be no room for lowly biochemist like myself who make use of passive tense in their writings.

And one more thing: Don't flatter yourself. Computer scientists doesn't have everything in spades. I among the numerous programmers in computer science I have encountered (fellow collagues and classmates in my years of BA in CS), only a very few of them can build sentences that lack spelling and grammatical mistakes.

[This message has been edited by izzy crow (edited December 13, 2003).]

pickled shuttlecock
Member # 1714

You accuse me of accusing people of having no education?

Let me try this again, with an appropriate nod to intelligence: I'm lamenting that so many brilliant people haven't been given the chance to learn to write well. They pick it up from their seniors, many of which were also not given the chance. Odd practices emerge, like pathological affinity to passive voice. They write papers that nobody would read if they didn't have to.

CS, which is much younger than most sciences, bucks a few trends. Yes, I know most CS majors can't tell the difference between an adverb and an eraser smudge. I wasn't even talking about that. My point is that convention isn't concrete yet, and CS papers are allowed interesting style. Professors will actually say things like, "What's wrong with 'I'? Didn't you do the research?"

Christine
Member # 1646

What a bunch of ridiculous generalizations.

Some people who can't write are lazy. Some don't try, and some, so brilliant in the field of numbers and logic, can't string two words together to save their lives. Then there are some who can actually write, and to it well. I've known all of these kinds.

Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
And so we see how flame wars can start.

First of all, to avoid flame wars, people need to read what has actually been said more carefully.

If you will go back to my post, izzy crow, you will see that I did not call anyone lazy. I merely said that passive voice MAY be the way those scientific writers who are lazier than others MAY choose to write. I also included a disclaimer indicating that it may not even be laziness, but a matter of not being interested in good writing.

Because this topic has moved into arguing over what was not actually said, I must ask that the arguing stop.

BudHAHA
Member # 1812

- posted      Profile for BudHAHA   Email BudHAHA         Edit/Delete Post 
Correction Katleen. Laziness is only a dogs trait. arguing however is pyhsically built into all humans.

Now arguing over things is healthy and it puts points of view into your perspective. Arguing that isnt healthy is when it degenerates into name calling and other such verbal abuse. Arguing is good if you keep it respectful and healthy!

If everyone agreed with everyone then you better shut down this site. All the writing topics would be the same!And if you add a little humor everything turns out to be fun!(that point is arguable though)

Please try my new book of recipes
The Cook Book of Arguing: By Lazy passive writer BudHAHA

Here are some reviews by the writer himself!

"I must have dozed off 30 times. When I was writing it!"

"to finish this book I had to be on a strict diet of speed and crack/cocaine to finish each page!"

Doesn't that bring a smile your face?

Posts: 31 | Registered: Nov 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

- posted      Profile for Survivor   Email Survivor         Edit/Delete Post 
Being that I am snide at my best, I have to interject an observation here

izzy is throwing fuel onto the fire just by claiming to be an educated person that writes...in the manner in which izzy has been writing

Talk about style issues--or don't, if you don't want to have a flame war with a bunch of writers.

I think that we can all agree that there is a purpose to science writing that goes beyond entertaining the readership. And we should all agree that making the material comprehensible to ordinary mortals is a valid goal of all writing.

Historically and grammatically, there are good reasons for science writing to have a lot of passive voice. I believe that some of the historical reasons have been discussed, so I will speak to other issues. A description of an experiment in a scientific paper is--in a certain sense--an invitation to replicate the experiment. As such, it must partly be construed as instructions on how to do this. Instructions are--with good reason--usually phrased in a combination of imperative and passive voice constructions. Because the injunction to repeat the experiment is implicit rather than explicit, we usually don't include straightforward imperative constructions in science papers, so that leaves us using the passive voice...a lot.

But experimental write-ups aren't the end all be all of writing in the science community. There are also theoretical and argumentative works, which too often are written in a style only appropriate to experimental write-ups. This is one reason that Computer Science has departed from the passive voice traditions of many other sciences, because so much of the work is ultimately theoretical in nature. Even the experiments only 'happen' in simulation, so to speak.

But let's face it, we're here as writers, not scientists. The picklebird related an interesting experience which alerted him (gender assumption) to the danger of passive voice putting the reader to sleep. The intent was not to say that our scientists are stupid (we could infer that from the fact that ours are human). The intent was to say that passive voice really is as boring as all the more experienced writers and readers on this forum have said.

Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

Thank you, Survivor.
izzy crow
Member # 1824

Kathleen, I may have misinterpreted your post. But at that point in time, I wasn't so much as "flaming" as I was trying to defend a position. What Picked had so carelessly blurted out was what set me off. Perhaps there was no need for me to so hastly "flame" back to his/her (?) post, but there was no grounds for which Pickled should have said what he said.

I visited this site because I am an OSC fan and joined this forum because of my own interest in written work and to explore possiblities in writing fiction. LOL. I'm now feeling a bit outcast. Maybe, after all, I don't really fit here... seeing that I am not a writer. I apologize for fuling a flame, Survivor. And to comment on your second line, I can't help writing the way I write. I didn't mean my (apparent?) manner to imply anything my words did not say.

[This message has been edited by izzy crow (edited December 14, 2003).]

Survivor
Member # 213

- posted      Profile for Survivor   Email Survivor         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, you can have a place here as a reader too (that's actually the perspective I use to approach a lot of these discussions). I'm not even sure what PSC said to get your ire aroused, but I'm pretty sure that the reason it aroused your ire was because you responded, not as a reader or writer, but as an offended member of an insulted community.

Next time, think of the discussion as a discussion about writing, and you will give input that (whether or not anyone else agrees) doesn't marginalize the concerns that we all share.

Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  | Report this post to a Moderator
JOHN
Member # 1343

- posted      Profile for JOHN           Edit/Delete Post 
It's a somewhat different situation, but

I've been doing research for a story on the Revolutionary War, and for the first time in my life without being forced to I read a few nonfiction books.

I was expecting to be bored to tears, and find nothing but books that read as if they were written by the same authors of every text book I've ever had.

I was pleasantly suprised.

The books were factual, made a point and/or argument, but were almost written in a prose style. Granted, I have interest in the period, but the two authors I've read so far (Grodon Wood, and John Ferling) actually seemed to an extent to flow like a novel, perhaps without as much of an entertainment factor, but they're not a chore to read.

My point, being that it is possible,as Surviovor pointed out it depends on your reason for writing it, to write non-fiction and not bore or alienate your readers with just a passing interest.

JOHN!

Posts: 401 | Registered: Jan 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

Izzy, you are welcome here, even if you aren't a writer. Not every editor in the business is a writer, and certainly most readers aren't writers. Anyone who has an interest in writing has something to say about it, and these discussions are open.

Some of the posters here may tend to exaggerate when they say something, and it is safest to refuse to take what is said here personally.

pickled shuttlecock
Member # 1714

Hey! I never exaggerate!

I would rather pluck my eyes out and eat them raw than exaggerate.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.