Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Something I'm wondering about

Author Topic: Something I'm wondering about
Zixx
Member # 1798

- posted      Profile for Zixx   Email Zixx         Edit/Delete Post 
I like to read different people's ideas for stories, like on Authorlink and other places. I mostly check fantasy and sci/fi, which there usually isn't much of. Also, I had forgotten about that site when my computer had problems and when I got it running again, I lost the favorites list and thus forgot about Authorlink. I remembered it the other day and checked it out and here's what I'm wondering--Don't some of these people have a clue?

First off, I have had some really dumb and very simplistic ideas for stories. Sometimes I started writing them but later quit when I realized that the only benefit I'd get from writing it would be for typing practice or perhaps to help my writing skills somehow. I admit to that. But some of the samples I've read are so, well, bad. Just awful. Some are good, don't get me wrong. But the bad ones are really, really bad. I feel sorry for the person who finishes a 125,000 word story and is working on their sequel when the first one has absolutely NO chance of doing anything. I cringe when I read some of those stories.

Recently, someone posted the link to that slush pile article. I read it and just can't believe that I hear so many of those stories about people who apparently never do any research on how to get an agent correctly. Perfumed envelopes, colored paper, 'gifts' included, and so on. And yet, I keep hearing new stories about that. Is it the same people, still trying to land an agent? Jerry Seinfeld playing practical jokes for a new book? It just boggles my mind that some people do not have a clue.

Is there any true statistics on queries that agents get? Say, 50% fail due to errors and poor spelling, 25% fail because the story idea is not enticing, 10% fail because the writer is not sending it to the appropiate agent(sci/fi to an agent specializing in romance, for example), 10% fail because it's unoriginal and 5% actually get the agent interested because it's what they actually want to see? Because the writer did his homework and wrote a query letter exactly how he/she should have?

I've read a lot about different parts of the process, from books on writing to websites on submitting manuscripts and query letters. I just find it utterly amazing that so many people kill their chances by not studying what they are trying to do, or submit work without a true edit. Hell, when I ran the spellcheck for my novel, I noticed that confusement is not a word. I knew that. Now why on earth did I not know that when I wrote it? I don't know about you, but when my mind is tired and I'm writing, strange combinations of letters sure seem to make sense. But there's the need for a good edit. I'd stand no chance if my novel was filled with errors like that.

I read one sample where the writer named everything double, like Piniminipini walked down Golorolo street on his way to Jijigigi's house. I kid you not, it was very close to that. I did not read much further.

Fortunately, on this site, I've read a lot of good ideas from you guys and enjoy the different feedback people post. I've learned a lot too, which is why I check the site often although I don't post much. So please don't think I'm ranting about anyone on here, because I'm not. I was mostly in a certain mood and felt the need to vent or rant, I suppose.

Then again, it could be because I'm editing my story and it drives me nuts at times . . . It's frustrating when you edit your story, then do it again and find another batch of errors or weak spots, but I suppose it only makes the story better in the long run.

Sorry for the long post )

Z

Posts: 24 | Registered: Oct 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Balthasar
Member # 5399

- posted      Profile for Balthasar   Email Balthasar         Edit/Delete Post 
To error is human, to revise is divine.
Posts: 130 | Registered: Apr 2007  | Report this post to a Moderator
srhowen
Member # 462

- posted      Profile for srhowen   Email srhowen         Edit/Delete Post 
Agents--I can only say that you have to offer what they want. You need a good match. I am sure there are statistics out there, but I haven't seen them.

If you don't spell correctly, or use good grammar, or write professionally in your query--then how can that agent believe you are professional enough to write a book? They will have to think that your MS is riddled with the same sort of mistakes.

Editors and Agents have up and down days as well--on some days I will read past the first sentence if there is a typo. Other days if I have gotten ten submissions and they all were awful--I see one more typo and it's outa my in-box with the first misspelled word.

Something has to catch the reader's eye--and an agent or editor is a reader. Does that mean you use fancy paper etc.? Well, I think many new comers don't bother to do much research--they say hey I'll use bright blue envelopes that way they have to see it.

The best thing to do--follow the guidelines on an agents of editors web site--send for the info, don't just take what it says in The Writer's Market--send for the guidelines and follow them to a T.

The agent etc., is going to pay attention because you cared enough (and have enough control of your ego) to follow their rules. It's all fine and good to say--well, so and so broke this rule and then name a famous author. Do some research, when they started out they didn't break the rules.

On top of that, you have to have a well written story. Yes, you got their attention, but if you don't keep it with well written work they will reject the MS.

There is no golden key--yes, spelling counts. I spelled my agent's name wrong in the very first letter to him. Why did he ask for more? I have no idea, I can only say that the story must have been interesting enough that he ignored it. I also followed his advice on a query letter, completely.

You have to write a good book, you have to write an informative query that gets to the point and the point only, and you have to hit on a good match between you and another person. That person has to see the book the same way you do.

I did run across a statistic on my agent's site something about less than 1% of the submissions they receive resulting in asking for more material. And they get something like 300 subs a week. So even fewer than that 1% get accepted.

It is a lotto? NO It feels like it. But this lotto is won with rules and following industry standards--and no not what so and so said on their web site--what the agents and publishers say are the standards.

And the big one--get rid of the ego. Once you set that aside you will make big strides.

Shawn

Posts: 1019 | Registered: Apr 2000  | Report this post to a Moderator
Jules
Member # 1658

- posted      Profile for Jules   Email Jules         Edit/Delete Post 
I have a friend who, like me, is an aspiring writer. One of her friends once sent her a manuscript that she was considering sending out to publishers, just wanted a bit of advice on how best to format it. Apparently, she had no idea when / how to start a new paragraph...
Posts: 626 | Registered: Jun 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.