Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Best Books About Writing?!?!

Author Topic: Best Books About Writing?!?!
JBShearer
Member # 9434

- posted      Profile for JBShearer   Email JBShearer         Edit/Delete Post 
I have been building a reference section of books to aid my writing. These books include:
-'Characters and Viewpoint' and 'How to Write Sci-fi/fantasy' by OSC
-'A Manual of Writers' Tricks' by David Carroll
-'Zen in the Art of Writing' by Ray Bradbury
-'On Writing' by Steven King
-2004 Novel/Short Story Market
-Dictionaries/Thesaurs.
Each of these books has been utterably invaluable to me in writing my own book. Does anyone else have opinions of any good others?

Posts: 12 | Registered: Feb 2011  | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
WRITING IN GENERAL AND THE SHORT STORY IN PARTICULAR, by Rust Hills, is one that made a difference for me.
Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  | Report this post to a Moderator
Jules
Member # 1658

- posted      Profile for Jules   Email Jules         Edit/Delete Post 
I found 'Worlds of Wonder: How to write Science Fiction and Fantasy' by David Gerrold a very illuminating book, largely because it takes a very different course from most books on similar subjects, and is one of the few writing books I've found that touches on style in a way that connected with me.

It is also a fairly amusing read, which is IMHO essential for an instructive book :-)

Posts: 626 | Registered: Jun 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Bone
Member # 1280

- posted      Profile for Bone   Email Bone         Edit/Delete Post 
On Writing by Stephen King is very good and his best advice is of course. Don't sit around and read books about writing all day the only way to become a better writing is too read and even more importantly read.

Also Sometimes the magic works by Terry Brooks I have heard is pretty good but I haven't gotten around to reading that one yet.

[This message has been edited by Bone (edited January 05, 2004).]

Posts: 35 | Registered: Oct 2001  | Report this post to a Moderator
BFedRec
Member # 1847

- posted      Profile for BFedRec   Email BFedRec         Edit/Delete Post 
I've been on a binge of reading writing books, so I've got a few suggestions. OSCs books are both amazing... but going to assume if you're HERE you've already read those anyway.
Bird by Bird by Anne Lamott was really good and inspirational. The 7 steps on the writer's path was really good and very practically self-helpy for the writing neurosis. On Writing is phenominal, with anecdotal, inspirational and practical elements all wrapped into one book. "Sometimes the magic works" is pretty good, if a bit short and pretty similar to On Writing. Brooks has a different take on some things than King, but I put them in the same genre of writing books in my mind.
I also think that For Writer's Only by Sophie Burnham was really inspirational for me. I've got more "in depth" reviews over on wordtrip.com

http://www.wordtrip.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=12
http://www.wordtrip.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=320
http://www.wordtrip.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=137

Posts: 2 | Registered: Jan 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
lindsay
Member # 1741

- posted      Profile for lindsay   Email lindsay         Edit/Delete Post 
I loved BIRD BY BIRD, by A.L., too! I pull it off the shelf just to flip open to whatever page, and boom!--I'm reminded of the heartbreak, sweeping highs, and everything in between, of being a writer.

Another book that "moved/inspired" me was FANTASISTS ON FANTASY. Can't tell you who wrote it or who published it, though. I only remember the title, plus lots of what was inside. (No doubt a quick Google search will tell all, but I haven't gotten that far today!)

Anyway, there's great advice in its pages, such as..."Fantasy does not destroy nor insult reason; it does not either blunt the appetite for, nor obscure the perception of, scientific verity. On the contrary the keener and the clearer is the reason, the better fantasy it will make."

That's but one of the quotes I scribbled into a notebook from it. I read it years ago, and remember it still today.

Posts: 87 | Registered: Sep 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Gen
Member # 1868

- posted      Profile for Gen   Email Gen         Edit/Delete Post 
'Fantasists on Fantasy' was edited by Robert H. Boyer and Kenneth J. Zahorski, and published by Avon (Discus). It's a book I've liked too (pulled it down off the shelf for the info, actually).

It's not exactly speculative and it's certainly fiction rather than how-to, but another one of my top writing books of all time would have to be Fay Weldon's 'Letters to Alice on first reading Jane Austen'. If you were scared off of Weldon by 'Life and Loves of a She Devil', this is about as far away as you could get. It's a fascinating look into the art of creation, and inspirational as well. Definitely worth a look if you're into Austen and run across a copy (sadly, it's out of print).

Posts: 253 | Registered: Jan 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Lord Darkstorm
Member # 1610

- posted      Profile for Lord Darkstorm   Email Lord Darkstorm         Edit/Delete Post 
Description by Monica Wood. Very good one also. Beggining, Middles, and Ends is not bad either.
Posts: 807 | Registered: Mar 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Balthasar
Member # 5399

- posted      Profile for Balthasar   Email Balthasar         Edit/Delete Post 
Damon Knight's Creating Short Fiction has been a tremendous help to me, espeically in understanding the basic story materials you need (character, emotion, setting, and situation) before you can start writing. His comments on viewpoint are also quite helpful.

This leads me to a question for KATHLEEN. It's because of your recommendation that I read Knight, and so I'm very tempted to read Rust Hills. If you can state it up briefly, what's the difference? I'm kinda at the point where I'd rather be writing and reading fiction than reading about writing and fiction.

[This message has been edited by Balthasar (edited January 15, 2004).]

Posts: 130 | Registered: Apr 2007  | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.