Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Mannerisms:

Author Topic: Mannerisms:
Phanto
Member # 1619

- posted      Profile for Phanto   Email Phanto         Edit/Delete Post 
We've got the basic ones:

Smiling,
Tapping fingers,
Nodding,
Frowning,
and so on.

However, I find myself overusing these simple body motions. Could anyone provide me with some spicey-fresh new ones?

Thanks!

Posts: 697 | Registered: Mar 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Christine
Member # 1646

- posted      Profile for Christine   Email Christine         Edit/Delete Post 
here's a couple I like to use:

stroking chin (or beard)
tugging or twirling hair
tapping foot

Posts: 3567 | Registered: May 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Phanto
Member # 1619

- posted      Profile for Phanto   Email Phanto         Edit/Delete Post 
Argh!
A while back, several years ago, I remember this fantastic website, which listed the sexual arrousment body language. You know, those little signals.

Does anyone happen to have the link, or could provide me with a good list?

Thanks!

Edit: Here's a generally useful link on this topic, http://www.lindajdunn.com/said.html

[This message has been edited by Phanto (edited January 08, 2004).]

Posts: 697 | Registered: Mar 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Lord Darkstorm
Member # 1610

- posted      Profile for Lord Darkstorm   Email Lord Darkstorm         Edit/Delete Post 
mumbling (to oneself) I only do this occasionally
fist on side of the face
Glancing all arround (hyper active people, or nervous ones)
Twiddleing thumbs

Posts: 807 | Registered: Mar 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
EricJamesStone
Member # 1681

- posted      Profile for EricJamesStone   Email EricJamesStone         Edit/Delete Post 
> tugging or twirling hair

It's a family joke (among the members of my family that have read the Wheel of Time) that Nynaeve is always tugging her braid.

Hmmm. I think maybe it's funnier if you're a member of my family.

Posts: 1517 | Registered: Jul 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

- posted      Profile for Survivor   Email Survivor         Edit/Delete Post 
For some characters it can be useful to create a shorthand notation for certain mannerisms that are peculiar to that character. We all know people (usually a lot of people) that have specific gestures or facial expresions which are very much part of them. My sister does this semi flouncy top of the wrist against the hip thing (I do it to sometimes...she did it so much). If you were to motion capture that and apply the movement to a digital cave troll, I'd know instantly it was her.

For a character that does it often (and is not the POV character) you can describe it once (along with a mention of what it usually means), then just call it her wrists on the hips flounce. Actually, you can just call gestures anything as long as you unambigiously mean that in some manner, the movement is peculiar to that character, and it makes the character seem more unique. I've seen 'tic' used successfully in this manner.

The problem with other approaches is that only mathmatical vector notation has ever proved capable of specifying human (and other animal) movement with the degree of specificity and versitility necessary to capture the subtleties of individual gestures in language...and that is a language that most people can't read, and those that can read it prefer to see it in their workstations rather than in a fiction book.

Remember, gestures, facial expressions, and tone of voice have to be communicated to the reader through the medium of how the POV character describes them. As a rule, the POV character doesn't think about what the specific movement is unless he hasn't seen it before and doesn't know what it means. Once the meaning and individuality of the moment are known (or supposed to be known) to the POV character, he will think of that, not the particular description of the mannerism.

Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  | Report this post to a Moderator
punahougirl84
Member # 1731

- posted      Profile for punahougirl84   Email punahougirl84         Edit/Delete Post 
Hmm - actually, better than Nynaeve tugging her braid, is her reaction when she realizes other people are noticing, and understand what it means... I can "see" her face!
Why is it a joke in your family? Does someone else do it - like try to play poker but you know they are bluffing when they pull their hair?
I'm 1/2 way through book 10, and still haven't gotten to Rand and Nynaeve yet. Decided it's cool about Elayne's condition, given that I've had that experience - as well as one of my sisters - try not to say what it is in case others have not read it yet...

How about rubbing your nose, scratching the back of your neck, rubbing an eyebrow, tilting your head, smoothing your hands down your sides, biting (or nibbling) your lip, licking your lips, sucking in your breath, blinking, wrinkling your nose, cracking your knuckles, shaking your head, slumping, startling, humphing, eyes go wide, wrinkling mouth, running tongue along teeth... ok, are people doing these things - trying them out as we read them?

Posts: 465 | Registered: Aug 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Nick Vend
Member # 1816

- posted      Profile for Nick Vend   Email Nick Vend         Edit/Delete Post 
As a child I used to suck air through my teeth on both sides of my mouth. I think initially I just liked the way it felt, but it became something I did all the time unconsciously. It caused the most horrific sound that made my sisters want to kill me. Of course, it didn't take much for my sisters to want to kill me.

I have a friend who stretches her fingers out in a circular motion, the type of movement I suspect a cat would make if she suddenly found herself with a human body.

Mannerisms like this don't seem to make any sense, but as someone pointed out already, they could easily suggest interesting things about the person doing them.

Posts: 64 | Registered: Dec 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
GZ
Member # 1374

- posted      Profile for GZ   Email GZ         Edit/Delete Post 
Pacing
Fiddle with glasses on face/ clean glasses
Twist ring or other piece of jewelry
Fold or rip pieces of paper or tissue
Play with a button on a shirt
Rubbing a thumb over the spine of a book

You can do a lot with people playing with the "props"

Sorry to go off topic here but… Rand and Nynaeve!?!??! As in a couple? Why? Why would that ever happen based on the first 7 books (where the series died a death of disinterest for me)? Not all the women of the Two Rivers (and the rest of the world) are going to fall for Rand! Ack! *Violent Twitching* <-- Oh, can add that one to the list above.

Posts: 652 | Registered: Feb 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
ccwbass
Member # 1850

- posted      Profile for ccwbass   Email ccwbass         Edit/Delete Post 
Okay, people: Raise your hand if you've gotten so tired of the Wheel of Time that you stopped reading back in 1999 and are now just wating for the Final Book to come out before spending 20 minutes at Barnes & Noble flipping through it and checking plot points.

"Oh, what a surprise! The girls are manipulative jerks, and the guys are clueless oafs, and if it wasn't for using sheer luck and cooincidence as plot markers nobody would ever accomplish anything! Imagine!"

Bitter for having spent so much money, I recuse myself from further raggin' on WoT.

[whistles. watches a hummingbird. suddenly skaps forehead]

Oh, yeah! Mannerisms. How about when guys hump dog's legs. That'd be pretty annoying.

Yup.
---------------

I apologize people. I'm just riffing. It's the caffeine, and I should just log off now.

Posts: 249 | Registered: Jan 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
punahougirl84
Member # 1731

- posted      Profile for punahougirl84   Email punahougirl84         Edit/Delete Post 
No - not Rand and Nynaeve as in a couple! Actually, he so far doesn't end up with anyone from Two Rivers (though he has three girls). They go off to access some sa'angreal (really big ones) I think to clean the Source, the male part that is tainted - since Nynaeve is so powerful... I've forgotten so much from the last one it's hard to remember exactly what is up - so far, 1/2 way through number 10, things are moving very slowly, with lots of description, and there is a big beacon of people using the source - so all the people who can use it are freaking out, but we still haven't gotten to read about what is going on. ARGH!

Anyway, way off topic - sorry!

Posts: 465 | Registered: Aug 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
reid
Member # 1425

- posted      Profile for reid           Edit/Delete Post 
I guess this is more of a facial expression than a mannerism, but what does it mean when someone's eyes "flashed"?

Thanks,

Brian

Posts: 63 | Registered: May 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
Kolona
Member # 1438

- posted      Profile for Kolona   Email Kolona         Edit/Delete Post 
Eyes can flash anger, sudden recognition, caution, pain, even campy goodness or evil in certain books. I'm sure there are others. Context would determine the reason or source.
Posts: 1810 | Registered: Jun 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
ccwbass
Member # 1850

- posted      Profile for ccwbass   Email ccwbass         Edit/Delete Post 
Reid,

Some things are best experienced than explained. To discover what it means when eyes "flash," tell a female co-worker that, yes, in fact, she does look a little heavier today, and her new haircut IS a mess, and, good lord, woman, you chose THAT blouse?

If you're lucky, you'll see a by-gosh real flash, just before you find yourself crawling on the floor, crab-like, hands over your groin, praying for the sweet release of death.

[This message has been edited by ccwbass (edited January 09, 2004).]

Posts: 249 | Registered: Jan 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Lullaby Lady
Member # 1840

- posted      Profile for Lullaby Lady   Email Lullaby Lady         Edit/Delete Post 
I was a theatre major in college, and this is such a fascinating topic! There are so many mannerisms that we all have that are just part of who we are, and they manifest themselves in different ways at various times, and for a multitude of reasons.

Those who play instruments are prone to "practice" on the air, or on tabletops, etc. Ballerinas and dancers walk in a graceful manner. Atheletes exhibit mannerisms relating to their chosen sport.

I would conclude that one's habits are a reflection of the environment in which they grew, the people to which they were exposed, AND the hobbies they spent their time practicing.

Thanks for this topic! I had forgotten how important mannerisms can be! I know I did better performing a scene, back in acting class, when the character was full and rounded. Definitely something I'll think more about as I create my characters in my stories!

Posts: 212 | Registered: Dec 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
pickled shuttlecock
Member # 1714

- posted      Profile for pickled shuttlecock           Edit/Delete Post 
"Those who play instruments are prone to 'practice' on the air, or on tabletops, etc. Ballerinas and dancers walk in a graceful manner. Atheletes exhibit mannerisms relating to their chosen sport."

Oooh! Good point!

I play the piano, and I sometimes find myself playing thirds on convenient surfaces. I've also caught myself typing "this is stupid" on an imaginary keyboard on my desk during really boring lectures...

Anyway, back to the topic:

- Clicking your teeth
- Picking your nose
- Clicking your tongue
- Making a motion associated with scoring a point when something goes well (I knew a guy who would pretend to "swish" a basketball when something went his way - it looked kinda gay if you didn't know what he was doing)
- Thumbs-up
- Raising an eyebrow
- Smirking
- Wrinkling your nose
- Idly scratching something, picking at something (don't pretend we don't have blemishes)
- Biting your bottom lip
- Crossing and uncrossing your legs
- Making a "pbbbbbtp" noise with your lips
- Sticking your tongue out (some people can't think without doing it)
- Making in-air quotation marks (I've seriously met someone who couldn't finish a sentence without doing this at least once - really annoying)
- A full-tongued "bleah"
- Curling your upper lip
- Playing with little trinkets (paperclips, etc. - I do my best thinking with office supplies in my hands)
- Curling and uncurling your toes
- Rubbing your hands
- Pulling at bare threads on your clothes

I'd be surprised if there weren't a good zillion of these.

Posts: 84 | Registered: Aug 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.