Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Heady stuff?

Author Topic: Heady stuff?
Mind Surfer
Member # 1686

- posted      Profile for Mind Surfer           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm in the search of some "Heady" type science fiction or fantasy reading. When I think about heady stuff, I think like Frank Herbert's Dune. Anyone have any other "heady" books they want to throw out here?
Posts: 27 | Registered: Jul 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
PE_Sharp
Member # 1654

- posted      Profile for PE_Sharp   Email PE_Sharp         Edit/Delete Post 
Heady is so subjective. I know one book I would recommend as heady in that it truely challenged me values in relation to race and racism.

The Iron Dream by Norman Spinrad. It is SF with a strong fantasy vibe up untill the very end of the book.

This I believe may be my second time recomending this book on this forum. But what the hell, the book always makes me think, and I think it is good, so it probably fits here.

PE Sharp

Posts: 47 | Registered: Jun 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
TruHero
Member # 1766

- posted      Profile for TruHero   Email TruHero         Edit/Delete Post 
Try Neal Stephenson's Qucksilver. I am reading it right now, and I am finding it pretty interesting. I am only into it about 200 pages or so, but it has over 900 pages total. Give it a try!
Posts: 471 | Registered: Sep 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Ergoface
Member # 1429

- posted      Profile for Ergoface   Email Ergoface         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know if this fits your definition of "heady" but if you haven't read A Fire Upon the Deep by Vernor Vinge, you should. You all should, Yeah you! Go and read it now, if you've already read it, do it again.

Sorry, I must be channeling someone else--hey why haven't you read it yet . . .

[This message has been edited by Ergoface (edited January 12, 2004).]

[This message has been edited by Ergoface (edited January 12, 2004).]

Posts: 77 | Registered: Jun 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
Jules
Member # 1658

- posted      Profile for Jules   Email Jules         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not sure what you mean by 'heady'.

One possibility that strikes me: having recently read Dune, it stands out that it was written in a very unusual voice... switching point of view very frequently, but getting deep into each POV character's internal thoughts.

Is that what you mean, or are you talking about something else?

Posts: 626 | Registered: Jun 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
ccwbass
Member # 1850

- posted      Profile for ccwbass   Email ccwbass         Edit/Delete Post 
I can heartily recommend Gene Wolf's 4-volume "Torturer" series and Jack Vance's "Dying Earth" quartet on the sci-fi end, and Vance's "Lyonesse" trilogy (out of print) and Moorcock's "Elric" sextet on the fantasy end.

And for a change of pace, R. F. Delderfeld's "To Serve Them All My Days," you know, just to keep your heart firmly planted earthside while your head explores the upper reaches of speculative fiction.

Posts: 249 | Registered: Jan 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Mind Surfer
Member # 1686

Hmm...What do I mean by "heady"?? I guess I feel like Herbert brought an amazing idea to the table with Dune. It was different than anything I had ever read. It was philosophical. It was thought provoking.

I haven't finished all of the chronicles yet. I'm on #5 now. But so far I've been most struck by Dune and Dune Messiah.

I guess I'm looking for reads that have or will potentially "blow your mind away".

wetwilly
Member # 1818

- posted      Profile for wetwilly   Email wetwilly         Edit/Delete Post 
If by "heady" you mean books that are not very interesting, then I agree, Dune falls in that category. I can't figure out what it is about that book that so many people loved. I mean, obviously there must be a reason that I missed out on, but I thought the book was completely boring. Is there something common to human psychology that I don't have that makes everybody love this book?
Posts: 1528 | Registered: Dec 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
punahougirl84
Member # 1731

- posted      Profile for punahougirl84   Email punahougirl84         Edit/Delete Post 
Mind Surfer - have you tried the newest Dune books by Brian Herbert and Kevin Anderson? I recommend them. William Gibson might fit your description. You could check out the Nebula and Hugo award winners, then read their descriptions on borders.com.

Wetwilly - it's called opinion, and we are all allowed one! Yes Dune is popular, but not universally - just by lots of people (myself included). By the time I hit book 4 I was having troubles and gave up. I remember having trouble getting into The Hobbit - it took a couple of years, then someone recommended LOTR, I realized The Hobbit came first, tried it again and loved it. Has it been a while since you tried Dune? Maybe try again! I read all the Thomas Covenant books and am mad at the waste of time and money Donaldson caused me, because I feel my expectations were not fulfilled - not that an author can't twist stuff and surprise you, but his character never grew - never overcame stuff - he can do that, but I personally was upset. Fortunately, in A Mirror of Her Dreams and A Man Rides Through (two book series) he did a great job, my expectations were met, and I've read them more than once. So while I would not give Covenant another chance, I did give the author another chance and was not disappointed.

The Wheel of Time books by Robert Jordan cause controversy - I did enjoy them through number 9, but just finished 10 and am not happy - I feel like it was one big transition, nothing got accomplished, he barely touched on the most significant main character, a major event that started in the previous book and finished in this one basically did not get discussed, no resolutions but tons of repetitive description on all the ways women can be arrogant and pains in the (I am female, and protest!)... I will read the rest when he gets them out, but in paperback (as most of mine are).

Posts: 465 | Registered: Aug 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Mind Surfer
Member # 1686

wetwilly: I think you misinterpreted what I wrote. I loved Dune. I admit some parts were boring, but overall I thought it was great.

punahougirl84: I did a very similar thing with The Hobbit. I attempted to read it and failed miserably. I tried again a couple of years later and it was great. I couldn't actually read LOTR. I found it boring in comparison to The Hobbit. I confess, the only way I could "read" LOTR, was by listening to it in my car on the way to work. I just couldn't take pages and pages of description.

I've had the same trouble with the Dune Chronicles. After number 3, I had to take a couple of month break. I read 4 and am taking another break until I read 5. There is something about the books, I can only take so much.

Nick Vend
Member # 1816

- posted      Profile for Nick Vend   Email Nick Vend         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know if these fit your definition, but Valis (and the other two that go with it for that matter, Divine Invasion and The Transmigration of Timothy Archer) by Philip K Dick discusses humanities need for/exploration of God. And, as all of Dick's books (well, all the ones I've actually read so far), it's a great read.
Posts: 64 | Registered: Dec 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
yanos
Member # 1831

- posted      Profile for yanos   Email yanos         Edit/Delete Post 
Have you tried reading some of Sheri Tepper's books? They have some interesting ideas from a philosophical and cultural bent.
Posts: 575 | Registered: Dec 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.