Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Writer's Block

Author Topic: Writer's Block
Brinestone
Member # 747

- posted      Profile for Brinestone   Email Brinestone         Edit/Delete Post 
I haven't written anything in my novel in months. I love to write. Yes, I've been busy. But now I'm not so tight on time, and I still can't write. I even have a plot summary of the chapter I'm working on (villain-to-be finds out he could have been the king, kills the evil usurper who is on the throne, etc.). This should be one of the most exciting chapters in the whole novel, and I can't write it. I feel like pulling out my hair. I don't want to write. I sit down intending to write something, but my attention quickly turns to Freecell, Hatrack, the pictures on my desk, anything but writing.

Help!

Posts: 814 | Registered: Nov 2000  | Report this post to a Moderator
ccwbass
Member # 1850

- posted      Profile for ccwbass   Email ccwbass         Edit/Delete Post 
So skip this chapter and move ahead to the next one. If you haven't plotted it yet, maybe doing so will get you in the mood to approach the current chapter from a direction more to your interest.

Or drink a liter bottle of Dr. Pepper, and wait and see what happens when the buzz hits.

Posts: 249 | Registered: Jan 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Balthasar
Member # 5399

- posted      Profile for Balthasar   Email Balthasar         Edit/Delete Post 
Perhaps your problem is that you've set this chapter up in your mind to be an exciting chapter and you're afraid to try to write it because you might not be able to pull it off. If that's the case, resolve to rewrite it until you get it the way you want it, even if that means 10 or 15 rewrites.
Posts: 130 | Registered: Apr 2007  | Report this post to a Moderator
ccwbass
Member # 1850

But don't forget the Dr. Pepper. And Doritos. Lots and lots of Doritos. What can I say? Writing is my munchie-inducing addictive narcotic of choice.
Gwalchmai
Member # 1807

- posted      Profile for Gwalchmai   Email Gwalchmai         Edit/Delete Post 
Whenever I sit at a computer to write I get the same problem. No matter how much I've been thinking all day 'I can't wait to get home and do some more work on my story', the moment I sit at the computer, suddenly everything else (like freecell) seems much more appealing. I solved this by writing all my rough drafts on paper and copying them up onto computer, revising them as I go.
I think it's down to the amount of effort it takes sometimes to write an original draft, especially if I have high expectations of the scene and want it to be just right. Because it's less effort to play freecell or surf the net and they're both so easily accessed, that's what I tend to end up doing, whereas when I'm writing in a room with no tv or computer it's far too much effort to force myself to walk to where the distractions are.
I find copying up something I've already written down doesn't (usually) require too much effort and that's probably why I can do this without my brain saying 'this is hard, look for something a little easier...ooh freecell'.
At least that's my story anyway and I'm sticking to it.

Funny how writing gives me the munchies too, though my beverage of choice tends to be tea by the bucketload. Maybe I should give Dr Pepper a try, see if there's any improvement.

Posts: 156 | Registered: Nov 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
punahougirl84
Member # 1731

- posted      Profile for punahougirl84   Email punahougirl84         Edit/Delete Post 
You got some great suggestions. Here is another.

Think about it - it is not writer's block - you know what you want to write - you've plotted it out. So what you are encountering is a very natural, most of us have felt it, writer's resistance. A mental block - and you find excuses to do other things.

One author's suggestion is to practice writing - if you have the habit to do it every day, no matter what, the physical warm-up will help you break through your resistance to writing. It is like an athlete warming up for an event. S/he can't say, oh, I warmed up yesterday, so I don't need to today.

I personally have been using the Writer's Digest writing prompts (which they used to do monthly, but now they have this fancy new format - so if you didn't get the December issue you'd be out of luck, except you can get their prompts at their site or e-mailed for free...). I do one every day, first. It really helps get me in gear.

Other people set an amount of time to write, and they have to write no matter what, even if they write "I can't write, why do I try, this is purposeless" for twenty minutes. It doesn't take too long for you to decide to write something else.

So - I suggest you get a timer. Set it for some amount of time - say 10 or 20 minutes. Get a writing prompt. Do it by hand in a spiral notebook or journal with a fast-flowing pen, or on your computer. The rule is to keep your hand(s) moving, no matter what - you must write. Give yourself the right to write junk - anything. Copy something if you must, to get you started. This is your warm up. You have no choice, no options, you can do nothing else. It is called discipline, and you either make yourself do it or not. Remove freecell, disconnect from the Internet, if you can't keep yourself from them. You may find your resistance melts fairly quickly. You can just freewrite about your problem - that may help!

Now, set your timer again - 20, 30 minutes, whatever you preset as your "sacred" writing time when no one in the family will distract you. You will now work on the chapter (or another part of your story if you think that will help). It could be absolute junk you write, but write it you will. A comes in with a sword. B jumps off the throne enraged, "Who let him in?" The guards outside have all been run through. A says, "This day I take what should be mine." They fight...

Yeah, ok, really bad, but the point is you are working through the resistance - the physical act of writing will overcome your mental resistance.

I've been reading a lot recently, and many of the thoughts above are thanks to Natalie Goldberg, author of "Writing Down the Bones" which I did a report on for a class.

I suggest you do this quickly - you want to, so don't find or give yourself excuses - you need to bang through it. Let it suck - you can always edit/rewrite once you have disciplined yourself to doing this!!!

Good luck - it's hard work.

Posts: 465 | Registered: Aug 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
ccwbass
Member # 1850

[Oh, I hope I do this link thing right!]

And speaking of timed writing exercises, sometime they can be very fun. James Lileks did kind of the same thing for an early comic strip. You kind of need to see it to get it.

http://www.lileks.com/comics/lance/index.html

Enjoy!

[This message has been edited by ccwbass (edited January 16, 2004).]

Phanto
Member # 1619

- posted      Profile for Phanto   Email Phanto         Edit/Delete Post 
The two main causes of Writer's Block, at least from what I see, are:

a) Insecurity in work
b) Self-Destructive tendencies

Method to bypassing this:

Sit down.
Load the microsoft WORD program.
Do not load any other program.
Force yourself to follow this program.
Type the scene, no stopping allowed. Keep typing. Ignore misspellings. If you can't, close your eyes and keep typing the scene as it comes to you.

Wait for your hands to stop hurting from the fierce typing.
Edit scene.

Posts: 697 | Registered: Mar 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
srhowen
Member # 462

- posted      Profile for srhowen   Email srhowen         Edit/Delete Post 
distractions are a major stumbling block--too easy to surf the web etc.

My hubby has gotten out of the Army and has been home a lot while job searching--I have had very little alone time to work on writing. Easier to play a game or surf the Internet when interruptions are eminent.

Shawn

Posts: 1019 | Registered: Apr 2000  | Report this post to a Moderator
cicero
Member # 1602

- posted      Profile for cicero           Edit/Delete Post 
My writers block tends to develop when I have either not had enough sleep or am lonely.
Posts: 26 | Registered: Feb 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.