Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » To sleep or not to sleep

Author Topic: To sleep or not to sleep
yanos
Member # 1831

- posted      Profile for yanos   Email yanos         Edit/Delete Post 
Ok, well I am finally back into the habit of writing each day. The trouble is this means I am now trying to survive on four hours sleep a night. Not that this is planned, it is just that I go to bed and then half an hour later I have to get up and go back to my desk to write again.

Maybe this is just from bad habits from my past, when the only time I had free to write (free from work concerns and other interference) was the late depths of the night. Is this just me or do other people suffer from this writing insomnia?

Posts: 575 | Registered: Dec 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
EricJamesStone
Member # 1681

- posted      Profile for EricJamesStone   Email EricJamesStone         Edit/Delete Post 
I've occasionally done that.

However, I was just reading this news article today: http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/ap/20040121/ap_on_he_me/sleep_creativity_4

quote:
For the first time, scientists say they have proved what creative minds have known all along: that our sleeping brains continue working on problems that baffle us during the day, and that the right answer may come more easily after eight hours of rest.

The German study is considered to be the first hard evidence supporting the commonsense notion that creativity and problem-solving appear to be directly linked to adequate sleep.

Posts: 1517 | Registered: Jul 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Lord Darkstorm
Member # 1610

- posted      Profile for Lord Darkstorm   Email Lord Darkstorm         Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe that is why I am so messed up; lack of sleep.

I do my writing at night, mainly because that is the only time I have peace and quite. If I get 5 hours of sleep at night durring the week I'm doing good.

Posts: 807 | Registered: Mar 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
somnambulous
Member # 1849

- posted      Profile for somnambulous   Email somnambulous         Edit/Delete Post 
I have trouble falling asleep, and even when I sleep I sometimes don't stay in bed.
Posts: 21 | Registered: Jan 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
srhowen
Member # 462

- posted      Profile for srhowen   Email srhowen         Edit/Delete Post 
LOL--I have been sleeping only 4 hours or less a night for as long as I can remember--for as long as my mother can remember. The bane of my childhood--she doesn't nap, and she's up half the night.

She thought that the doctors should do something so I slept at least 8 hours or more.

I think in those studies, if they take people who are used to getting 8 hours and then don't let them have 8 hours of course they are going to have trouble. But there are people who do well on very little sleep. I sleep too much and I don't do well. I am crabby and cranky.

I also do my best writing in the wee morning hours or late at night. Have to sleep from about 1 am till 5 though.

Shawn

Posts: 1019 | Registered: Apr 2000  | Report this post to a Moderator
Lord Darkstorm
Member # 1610

- posted      Profile for Lord Darkstorm   Email Lord Darkstorm         Edit/Delete Post 
I do think as we age our bodies start to require more sleep. I used to be able to go on 4 hours all the time, I just about lived that way when I was in the military. Now though, I find that by the time friday rolls around I am dragging.

Too much sleep is a problem I have also, but mine shows up in the form of massive migrain headaches. On the weekends I have to make sure I don't sleep more than eight hours or I'm going to regret it.

Kolona
Member # 1438

- posted      Profile for Kolona   Email Kolona         Edit/Delete Post 
I was a night owl until I had children. I remember being amazed that suddenly I couldn't stay up late and still get up early without feeling tired. It was a night and day change -- literally. As an empty-nester now, I operate better on eight hours, so I'll echo LordD's age comment. If I'm up late, it's best if I sleep in afterward, which isn't always possible, of course, or turn in early the next night. I can't nap, though.
Posts: 1810 | Registered: Jun 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
ccwbass
Member # 1850

- posted      Profile for ccwbass   Email ccwbass         Edit/Delete Post 
As for me, I have no one to blame but the makers of Dr. Pepper and the insidious methods they employ to force me to drink that wonderful ambrosia. Ah, sweet, damnable Dr. Pepper . . .
Posts: 249 | Registered: Jan 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
wetwilly
Member # 1818

- posted      Profile for wetwilly   Email wetwilly         Edit/Delete Post 
Apparently, ccw, you don't realize that Mr. Pibb (or whatever they call it now) is actually a much better drink than Dr. Pepper. I'm assuming you've never tried it, since you still seem to think Dr. Pepper is the best drink ever. Well, I only have this to say in reply: yeah right, it's not, Mr. Pibb is.
Posts: 1528 | Registered: Dec 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
ccwbass
Member # 1850

"Mr. . .Pibb, is it," asked the Count von Pepper, barely able to hide his disgust at the the gibbering mound of proletariat filth that quivered before him unwholesomely.

"Aye, sor," drooled Mr. Pibb, unaware of the terrible pun. "Mr. Pibb, yer grace! No finer refreshment this side o' the mystic Pool o' Fanta!"

The slobbering, pop-eyed hunchback lurched towards the Lady von Pepper.

"Oh!" said Lady von Pepper. "That Mr. Pibb is foul and leprous! He will touch me, and besmirch my virtue!"

"Move away from my Lady!" warned the Count. "Surely you will be taught manners befitting your grubby station."

Mr. Pibb farted. Hell's own stench fogged the air in the drawing room. Flies fell dead on the carpet. The Count's hand went to his sword.

"Surely this is no man, but a demon," thought von Pepper. "Very well - I shall send this nasty lumpen sirrah back to the mephistophelian cesspool from which he was born!"

The loathsome Mr. Pibb lurched again, his scabby, feces-stained claws reaching for the Lady. The Count drew his sword; blood would spill this night, and surely not the blood of nobility.

Your move, Pibb Boy.

[This message has been edited by ccwbass (edited January 22, 2004).]

Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
Ahem!
Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  | Report this post to a Moderator
ccwbass
Member # 1850

[laughing]

Sorry, Kathleen. He challenged My Precious. Shall I delete this?

Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
Nah. Just try to control yourself, okay?
TruHero
Member # 1766

- posted      Profile for TruHero   Email TruHero         Edit/Delete Post 
I am a recovering Dr. Pepperaholic. I haven't had one in over 3 weeks!

I don't know how I got to this point, must be shear grit and determination. But oh how I craved it that first week, and the headaches! Boy I don't recommend going cold turkey to anyone!

It is just juice and water for me, although hearing your flirtations with it, almost makes me want to shotgun a can right now.

Posts: 471 | Registered: Sep 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
ccwbass
Member # 1850

Sorry, Kathleen. Maybe I should have started the post with a "Place tongue firmly in cheek before proceeding."

I do go a little overboard when I get all silly, though. Sorry 'bout that.

Lord Darkstorm
Member # 1610

I got a chuckle. Silly is better than flaming them.

Speeking of lack of sleep, I bet I will still see 1 am...

ccwbass
Member # 1850

Thank you, sir.

Not to toot my own horn, but "slobbering, pop-eyed hunchback" is pretty darn funny.

TruHero: Resist the temptation. See what excessive sugar and caffeine consumption has done to me? I was a nice, polite boy once, before I encountered 12 ounces of corruption in an aluminum can.

[This message has been edited by ccwbass (edited January 22, 2004).]

wetwilly
Member # 1818

I took a long drag on my cigarette and looked up at the clock. Almost midnight. I was sure the boredom would end soon. It always did about this time of night. The best cases always come in around midnight. You see, I don a very special job, although if I you were to ask me when I was sober, I probably wouldn't be able to tell you what it is exactly. Some say I'm a P.I. Some say I'm a beverage. Whatever I am, I can promise you one thing. I'm the best one you'll ever find.

I can't say I was expecting it when that filthy doctor from down the street crashed through my office window, but I wasn't exactly surprised, either. After a few years in this neighborhood, nothing really surprises you anymore.

"Dr. Pepper," I said, grinding my cigarette out on my desk. "Nice of you to drop in." (I'm sorry, that was bad, but I couldn't resist.)

The good doctor was bleeding like a mafia accountant. Apparently someone had finally gotten fed up with his crap. He was a weak little punk, didn't have the moxy that some of us have, myself included. In fact, in my opinion, he was nothing but a trumped-up, little sissy that deserved everything he got, as long as it was bad.

And this time, it was definitely bad.

"I taste so good," Dr. Pepper gurgled through the blood in his throat. "What a wonderful ambrosia I am."

That was just the kind of nonsense that made me hate him so much. Everybody knew that there was only one wonderful ambrosia, and I was it. I pulled out my little revolver and put a couple slugs in his head. Just wanted to be careful. The last thing I needed was him getting back up and spreading his weak, over-commercialized, undercarbonated bullcrap in my office.

Now I had a case. I needed to find out who had delivered this little package to me like this, all full of lead and leaking on my hardwood floors.

I wanted to thank them personally for making the world a better place. Now everybody knew that I was the only game in town, and Dr. Pepper had nothing on me, Mr. Pibb.

Put that one in your Dr. Pepper bottle and drink it, ccw.

ccwbass
Member # 1850

The private dick didn't hear me gurgle my last words. Nobody did - but I had to say them; a death-bed confession before I slipped off to hell.

"I could . . . have had a Coke, and . . . a smile."

And then my Pep fizzled out. For good.
----------

Bravo, Water-Soaked William. Ya give as good as you get. I salute you, sir.

somnambulous
Member # 1849

- posted      Profile for somnambulous   Email somnambulous         Edit/Delete Post 
The good doctor ain't got nothing on Joe Java.
Posts: 21 | Registered: Jan 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
ccwbass
Member # 1850

idon't drink coffee, so I gotta ask: Am I the only guy on the planet who thinks that cheap office coffee smells like hot tuna melt when it's brewing? I'm serious. Am I olfactorily defective?
Phanto
Member # 1619

- posted      Profile for Phanto   Email Phanto         Edit/Delete Post 
A better question is:
How can I cut back on my sleeping hours?

Posts: 697 | Registered: Mar 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Lord Darkstorm
Member # 1610

If you find out let me know.
Gwalchmai
Member # 1807

- posted      Profile for Gwalchmai   Email Gwalchmai         Edit/Delete Post 
Stay awake longer.

If you condition yourself gradually, say five minutes later every one or two nights, then eventually you'll get to the stage where you don't need to sleep ever and you can write a novel in half the usual time.

Posts: 156 | Registered: Nov 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
wetwilly
Member # 1818

aah, ccw, a hearty fellow well met. (I don't even know what that actually means). Which one of us won our little write-off? (a Zoolander reference for all you intellectuals out there. Kind of.) Tough call, you definitely used a lot more million-dollar, 500 year-old-words than me. I actually killed Dr. Pepper in mine, though. I think we need some kind of celebrity judge or something.
wetwilly
Member # 1818

hope this has been helpful, yanos.
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

<SIGH!>
ccwbass
Member # 1850

WetWilly,

I give you points for responding in kind. I was so happy to see that someone got the joke that I was happy to kill myself off out of sheer gratitude. Poor Kathleen - I think she was expecting a long, bitter exchange.

As for staying up longer, my most successful technique involves having a nervous breakdown. It's good for at least 48 hours.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.