Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » When the walls...

Author Topic: When the walls...
Fire-Bringer
Member # 1856

- posted      Profile for Fire-Bringer   Email Fire-Bringer         Edit/Delete Post 
This, admittedly, is somewhat off-topic but the last couple days for me have been sort of stressful and I need to vent a bit, and also entreat anyone out there with some ideas to please send them my way. I'm struggling. I've been having a rough time finding any job in my field. I do currently have some employment but like I said in a previous post, I don't really care much for it. It has nothing to do with writing, publishing, or editing. So the first thing, I guess, is whether anyone on this board knows of any open positions in the Chicago area that would allow me to do any or all of those things. And by Chicago area, I mean within about 100 miles of Chicago, preferably north-northwest of there but I am really sick of not using my talents in my job and I am willing to traverse great distances in order to correct this.

Second, and this is great, although stressful, I just found out we are expecting our third child. My girlfriend (we live together) is already having health-related issues due to this (less than 2 months into it) and will probably not be able to work through the full 9 months. This will result in some serious financial issues for us.

Sorry to unload like this but it's far better than exploding at her or one of our kids or coworkers. I like to play it close to the chest, usually, but this is more than I am used to handling.

So, are there any inspirational things anyone can say, or different ways of looking at things or maybe even any job leads out there? Anything would be better than what I've got. And my dad always told me when I was looking for a job to ask everyone I know if they know of any potential opportunities... So here we go. Again, sorry to vent, I hope I am not offending anyone by posting this somewhat off-topic message (but I do want a job related to writing!).

Frank

Posts: 20 | Registered: Jan 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
ccwbass
Member # 1850

- posted      Profile for ccwbass   Email ccwbass         Edit/Delete Post 
Frank,

So long as you really are willing to move, you've just increased your chances of finding a happier professional life. Start checking the ads and e-mailing your resume, post haste.

Posts: 249 | Registered: Jan 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Brinestone
Member # 747

- posted      Profile for Brinestone   Email Brinestone         Edit/Delete Post 
Other than fiction (I assume), what do you like to write? Do you enjoy editing? Journalism? Technical writing?
Posts: 814 | Registered: Nov 2000  | Report this post to a Moderator
Fire-Bringer
Member # 1856

- posted      Profile for Fire-Bringer   Email Fire-Bringer         Edit/Delete Post 
CCWBass: I'll go anywhere if it has the potential of keeping me out of the rut into which I feel myself slipping.

Brinestone:

I do like to to write fiction. That is my preferred creative outlet. However, I worked at the local community college as a writing tutor/ESL instructor while I was taking classes there. It became economically unfeasible for me to continue with that after I started working on my BA. A large part of those positions was editing, and I felt extremely capable and thoroughly enjoyed my work.

I have co-written an honest-to-god technical manual for 'good manufacturing processes' in a food production plant. I can do technical writing. In fact, I have been told that I have a knack for writing technically complex ideas in such a way as to be understandable by people lacking technical knowledge.

Third, I have co-written a roleplaying game book, which is fairly technical in its own right. My part in this was far less significant than in the previous example.

While working on my BA, I wrote a series of unpublished concert reviews, as well as a ton of research papers both on basic context and literary theory. So I have limited experience in journalism and fairly extensive experience in research writing.

Now, all that said, I do enjoy fiction writing the most but find it to be the most difficult to do. I am not certain as to why this is the case, or even if this is common among writers. I have never really given it any significant thought.

ccwbass
Member # 1850

I think OSC got by for a while doing technical writing.

It's a really tough scene out there for guys who want to make their living with words. Yet, it can be done. Monte Cook seems to have done well enough making his living as an extremely productive writer of role-playing books, for example.

I wonder, though, if there are that many published writers who have been able to make enough money as writers to quit their day jobs. OSC talks about it as if it is a relatively rare thing. A few writers get lucky, like Tom Clancy, but if Red October hadn't hit at the right time, he'd still be an insurance broker who writes on the side.

I'm of two minds on the subject. I hate what I've been doing for the last twenty years, so I've recently begun pursuing a music degree. I'll be in my mid-forties by the time I get the All Important Masters Degree, but my thinking is that I'd much prefer to spend the second half of my life engaged in what I love. Still, I could meet a woman who obliges me to change my priorities drastically (and happily). I can tell you that if I had a family of my own, nothing less than a signed note of approval from God Himself would see me make this drastic mid-life change.

The reason for that is my dad. He married my mom when he was thirty. He was a working musician with a double-bachelors and was pursuing a masters in composing, right up until he got married and decided that he preferred the idea of providing for his family rather than scratching an artistic itch at the expense of the kind of financial security he could otherwise provide. He stayed in the Aerospace industry his entire working life, doing music as a vocation, and, speaking as a son and brother to four other siblings, I'm glad he made that choice. It was a hell of sacrifice for him, at least at first. But he produced so much of what he wanted on his own instead of what he would have HAD to write in the entertainment industry that it actually turned out to be a good pay-off.

Here's the thing about employing your art for a paycheck: Unless you become one of the lucky ones, most of what you do won't give you any more artistic/emotional satisfaction than digging a ditch. That's what I fear about the future I plan for myself, but if I can work in a few things I really want to do, I can live with the drudgery of the rest of my gigs. It's a gamble, though. I may not get to ANYthing I really want to do, feeling lucky just to get ditch-digging gigs.

Bottom line analysis: If you and your family are willing to risk living in penury for what may be a long while, I'd say you're probably safe making the change.

But there's no shame in exercising your art as a vocation instead of as your profession.

Fire-Bringer
Member # 1856

CCWBass: That's wisdom, pure and simple. I can't tell you that I didn't know it, but it is definitely one thing to know it and another to hear it and see it (or see an example of it). I guess the difference between the two ideas is similar to touching a hot iron; you know it's hot, but the experience of burning yourself is beyond the knowledge of being burned. I know it's hard to make a living in the arts, it's another thing altogether to live the difficulty and the self-torture of doing something you don't like to do because making a living in the arts is so difficult.

I really am no different than most others, am I.

I think I might be able to sleep better tonight.

-F

ccwbass
Member # 1850

I wasn't aware sleep was also an issue. Good thing I didn't include my usual bromide about the wonderful theraputic efficacies of Dr. Pepper.

Seriously, you're going to be fine, I think. For all my pg-rated verse, I'm actually quite old fashioned. Put family first, and you'll find real joy in your art. Possibly you'll even produce novels people will absolutely love to read, and it's very nice to know that nobody ever HAD to quit their day job to do that.

Now, laugh, and write with gusto!

Kolona
Member # 1438

- posted      Profile for Kolona   Email Kolona         Edit/Delete Post 
At the risk of making this sound like a mutual fan club, I applaud you, CW. Your Dad did a better job than even you imagine. And I applaud Fire-Bringer for recognizing it. God's best to you both.
Posts: 1810 | Registered: Jun 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
ccwbass
Member # 1850

Heh. Funny you should say that. I'm still under no less than three "grounded-for-life" sentences which have never officially been lifted, and, heaven help me, I was even threatened with military academy once.

Man, I was kid #3, and by the time I arrived they'd been through the entire playbook and had to play it by ear.

God bless my old man - I drove him nuts.

Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
According to Robert W. Bly, in his book SECRETS OF A FREELANCE WRITER, subtitled "How to make $85,000 a Year," the kinds of writing you've done, Fire-Bringer, are the kinds of things you can get paid very well for.

I'd recommend seeing if your local library doesn't have Bly's book (if not, it might be worth purchasing) and reading it. You may be able to stay right where you are and be fine.

Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  | Report this post to a Moderator
Fire-Bringer
Member # 1856

Kathleen: This sounds like a book I need to read, and fast. Thanks for recommending it.

To everyone else: Thanks for listening to me gripe. It's not normal for me but sometimes it just needs to come out.

As a side note, I just noticed and find it odd that I think of all my writing as speaking, and all my readers (there aren't many - yet) as listeners. For example, in these messages, I refer to the act of reading and thinking about what I wrote as listening, the logical result of regarding the written/typed word as having been spoken. How might this affect the writing of a novel? Has anyone considered this?

F-

Joshua
Member # 321

- posted      Profile for Joshua           Edit/Delete Post 
I'd say you're in good company. One of the most interesting things about Tolkien's Lord of the Rings is the way that its rhythms emulate those of orally transmitted epics. (In other words, Tolkien thought of writing as speaking too.) Not to mention that Homer, Virgil, Milton, and the author of Beowulf did the same. (Although Homer and the Beowulf author probably did actually speak their epics before they were written down.)
Posts: 17 | Registered: Dec 1999  | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.