Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Shall we play a game?

Author Topic: Shall we play a game?
reid
Member # 1425

- posted      Profile for reid           Edit/Delete Post 
Here's one for all you programmers on hatrack. Can someone recommend a good resource (fiction or nonfiction) that accurately depicts what a network hacker does? I really want to avoid the romanticized Hollywood hacker (Seth Green in the Italian Job) who can crack a government computer system on a whim with a few keystrokes. I'm looking for realism. I read The Cuckoo's Egg by Clifford Stoll several years ago, but I'm sure that the technology in that book is fairly dated (and I think it may even be out of print anyway).

Thanks!

Brian

Posts: 63 | Registered: May 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
Christine
Member # 1646

- posted      Profile for Christine   Email Christine         Edit/Delete Post 
So apparently the Matrix Reloaded, as bad as it was, did accurately depict what a network hacker does. The scene towards the end of the movie where they brought down the power grid is what would really happen.

Also, try Cryptonomicon, by Neal Stephenson a fiction book about hacking from WWII to present. I haven't read this one myself, but my husband, who's the network guy in the family, said it's good.

Posts: 3567 | Registered: May 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
ccwbass
Member # 1850

- posted      Profile for ccwbass   Email ccwbass         Edit/Delete Post 
Christine beat me to it. I know squat about hacking, but that scene in Matrix Reloaded got a lot of kudos on the net from guys who claim to know something.
Posts: 249 | Registered: Jan 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.