Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Lost my maps

Author Topic: Lost my maps
Brinestone
Member # 747

- posted      Profile for Brinestone   Email Brinestone         Edit/Delete Post 
I made a map of the two continents my novel takes place on, as well as close-up maps of several of the most important countries. I had begun to make a cleaner copy that I could scan into my computer to make pretty. When I moved, they got misplaced. I have opened every box I know of, every closet, every drawer and book and folder, and I can't find them. I'm beginning to think they got thrown away as we were moving.

I feel crippled without these maps. I mean, I still know the story, but they were a reference. If I was writing a scene in a particular city (and the characters travel a lot and very quickly), I wanted to know the terrain, the nearby cities, the climate, etc. I have vague memories of the maps (well, more than vague, but not photographic by any means). I could re-draw them, but I'm afraid they'll never be the same again.

Have you ever lost something important to your writing? What did you do?

Posts: 814 | Registered: Nov 2000  | Report this post to a Moderator
TruHero
Member # 1766

- posted      Profile for TruHero   Email TruHero         Edit/Delete Post 
Brinestone,
Look at the thread called "How far are you at" It tells some bad stories about losing stuff. Kathleen had some good comments.

Losing your creation is very hard. First anger, then sadness, more anger followed by self pity. What can you do, but move on. It is a hard place to be in, I have been there.

Any way of re-creating those maps from your story? Kind of reverse engineering?

Keep your chin up, and move forward.

Posts: 471 | Registered: Sep 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
ccwbass
Member # 1850

- posted      Profile for ccwbass   Email ccwbass         Edit/Delete Post 
Eh. I got nuthin'.

[This message has been edited by ccwbass (edited February 03, 2004).]

Posts: 249 | Registered: Jan 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Christine
Member # 1646

- posted      Profile for Christine   Email Christine         Edit/Delete Post 
I've lost things before, stories, modifications...

I tell you what, when I've lost stories the first thing I do is fret. The second thing I do is despair. Then I finally get my act together and get it back.

The thing about stories, ideas, and yes, even maps, is that they were made up our of our heads in the first place! That's right, they're still there in the reaches of our brains, not in their perfect form, but in remanants and at least in overarching themes.

Ahh, you say, but you'll never get them back in their original and perfect form. Sadly, you're right. But I bet you'll come up with something even better from the act of recreating them! I know I have. As I sit there and sturggle to come up with exactly what I had before I think, but what about z. Dont reject z because it wasn't in your original idea, take a look at it for it's potential value.

I guess what I'm saying is look on this as an opportunity to come up with an even better map than ever you had before.

Posts: 3567 | Registered: May 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Lilamrta
Member # 557

- posted      Profile for Lilamrta   Email Lilamrta         Edit/Delete Post 
That really tugs at my heartstrings. I have a map of my continent hanging on my wall, on a piece of newsprint approximately 2x3 feet. It's my inspiration and I'm also rather proud of it. I don't know what I would do if I lost it.

I think that, as Christine said, it can be even better once you're finished greiving and can return to productive work and redraw it. It's important to just keep going.

Posts: 239 | Registered: Jun 2000  | Report this post to a Moderator
lindsay
Member # 1741

- posted      Profile for lindsay   Email lindsay         Edit/Delete Post 
I've lost things before. Many things. (Even inspiration - but that's for another thread.)

What I found when I went back to the keyboard without these "things," was...a clearer way.

What I ended up *without* was the time I'd taken to produce those great things.

It didn't matter, though, because somehow, in losing those "things," I found myself forced to "get right down to it" a whole lot faster.

And I did. And it was a better read.

Here's to losing things. (Sometimes.)

Posts: 87 | Registered: Sep 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Kolona
Member # 1438

- posted      Profile for Kolona   Email Kolona         Edit/Delete Post 
Does tearing something up and then being sorry you got rid of it count? Otherwise, no, I've never lost writing material -- so far. I hope you find the map, Brinestone. Remember, it's always in the last place you look, so you apparently haven't looked in the last place yet.
Posts: 1810 | Registered: Jun 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
JBShearer
Member # 9434

- posted      Profile for JBShearer   Email JBShearer         Edit/Delete Post 
I lost my novel once. Actually, it wasn't a whole novel, but it was my first eighty pages . . . singles spaced, new roman . . . eighty freakin' pages. The hardrive on my laptop went out, and *poof*. That's it, that's all she wrote.

I couldn't re-write the scenes the way they were. That would be MUCH harder than redrawing a map (i think). Just like your map, though, these scenes had to fit into the idea of my story, and I'll tell you what . . . doing it for the second time, it's bound to turn out better.

P.S. I now keep triplicate copies of EVERYTHING that I'm working on. Lesson learned.

Posts: 12 | Registered: Feb 2011  | Report this post to a Moderator
Gwalchmai
Member # 1807

- posted      Profile for Gwalchmai   Email Gwalchmai         Edit/Delete Post 
Multiple copies are definitely the way to go and with a scanner, maps can be backed up on computer and onto disks rather than having many paper copies that can easily be mislaid.
Posts: 156 | Registered: Nov 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Jules
Member # 1658

- posted      Profile for Jules   Email Jules         Edit/Delete Post 
I once moved my work from one computer to another, deleted it from the original and then found that some of it hadn't been copied correctly.

Had to restore from a 2 month old backup, which hurt.

But it actually only took a couple of weeks to get back to the point I started at, so it wasn't too bad I guess.

Posts: 626 | Registered: Jun 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
EricJamesStone
Member # 1681

- posted      Profile for EricJamesStone   Email EricJamesStone         Edit/Delete Post 
For my writing, I use MS Word's "Track Changes" function. I also use the "Automatically Save a Version on Close" function, so I can easily look back at previous versions.

After saving the document, I FTP it to a password-protected directory on my website. (I do that not only for backup purposes, but also so that I can work on the file from multiple computers.)

Because of this, when my hard drive crashed in December I didn't lose any of my writing. (I lost a bunch of other stuff, because I was dumb enough not to back it up. But at least my writing was safe.)

Posts: 1517 | Registered: Jul 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Ergoface
Member # 1429

- posted      Profile for Ergoface   Email Ergoface         Edit/Delete Post 
If you've had bad experiences with data loss, as I have, you become paranoid about your data. On a computer paranoid is good <g>. Nevertheless, I am lazy, that's why I love computers, they help facilitate getting things done, even being lazy.

So, being lazy and paranoid what is my solution? I use a little piece of software called Iomega Automatic Backup. What it allows you to do is copy stuff from one place to another (another computer, drive, CD-RW, Zip, whatever) on a regular basis, without you having to remember to do it.

For all my important stuff (which must include all my writing) I have it backup any changed files every twenty minutes. I also have it set up to keep five versions of everything. This means the backup takes up a fair amount of space, but disk space is cheap these days.

I also have backed up stuff to my website like Eric, but not often, because that seems too much like work. I also make optical backups every month or so. I love my new DVD-Multi writer. 4.7 Gigs is a lot of stuff.

Dave

Posts: 77 | Registered: Jun 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.