Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Secrets of the Dread Adverb

Author Topic: Secrets of the Dread Adverb
JBShearer
Member # 9434

- posted      Profile for JBShearer   Email JBShearer         Edit/Delete Post 
The Adverb . . . invariably the bane of the editor and the consternation of the novelist. Yes, it modifies the illustrious Verb, it describes an action or an adjective. It is said that adverb use is anathema to good writing.

I nearly fell for that one. I didn't, in fact, fall for it, but I nearly did. Notice the adverbial usage? It changed the meaning of the sentence, and it was somewhat essential. I guess I could say that I 'almost fell for that one'. Does one or the other sound better? Everyone who advises against the use of adverbs, admits to falling prey to them.

Sure, if it induces redundancy, an adverb isn't good, as in --"Hey, you #$%##%, get away from my car," Jack said angrily.-- I know that it is a little bit of an exaggeration, but you get the picture. Originally, formerly, strongly, truly, probably, the list goes on, but I seem to find some of these words invariably essential and without good replacement.

Now I won't say that I don't usually tend to stay away from using a predominantly large portion of adverbs. It's an addiction all of us will eventually try to break away from. Is it just me, or will there always be eternally valid reasons for adverbs? My theory is use them, but don't abuse them.

Any comments? Am I dreadfully wrong??

Posts: 12 | Registered: Feb 2011  | Report this post to a Moderator
TruHero
Member # 1766

- posted      Profile for TruHero   Email TruHero         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't condone abstinance, because sooner or later you'll be out behind the 7-11 trying to score some adverbs from an out of work librarian, not pretty.

Adverbs have their place, otherwise why would we have them. I agree with you on this point: Moderation in all things, especially adverbs.

Posts: 471 | Registered: Sep 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Phanto
Member # 1619

- posted      Profile for Phanto   Email Phanto         Edit/Delete Post 
Threads like this are signs of overstress. If a word works in your script, and is the best word possible, keep it. Overwise, kill it.

Simple as that .

Posts: 697 | Registered: Mar 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
srhowen
Member # 462

- posted      Profile for srhowen   Email srhowen         Edit/Delete Post 
Adverb overuse?? Hmm, mostly you need to avoid the overuse of adjectives. I don't see too much overuse of adverbs in my editing work.

Follow that simple rule--if it advances the plot use it. If not, lose it.

Shawn

Posts: 1019 | Registered: Apr 2000  | Report this post to a Moderator
wetwilly
Member # 1818

- posted      Profile for wetwilly   Email wetwilly         Edit/Delete Post 
An adverb is one of many tools that we have at our disposal. There's no such thing as a good tool or a bad tool, only tools used well or poorly. It's not the adverb that's bad, it's the misuse of it, just like any other tool.
Posts: 1528 | Registered: Dec 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
loggrad98
Member # 1724

- posted      Profile for loggrad98   Email loggrad98         Edit/Delete Post 
Consider this:

"Hey, you #$%##%$, get away from my car," Jack said angrily.

and

"Hey, you #$%##%$, get away from my car," Jack said playfully.

One redundant, one effective and (perhaps) necessary. Both adverbs. Interesting.

Posts: 45 | Registered: Aug 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
asherahpole
Member # 1900

- posted      Profile for asherahpole   Email asherahpole         Edit/Delete Post 
The admonition against using adverbs is as misleading as the admonition against telling rather than showing. In THE RHETORIC OF FICTION, W.C. Booth demonstrates that exposition can "show" just as much as it "tells." If anyone thinks that exposition does not show, just read the Bible.

Adverbs and exposition both have their places in writing. Just don't split those infinitives. "To boldly go where no man has gone before."

Posts: 10 | Registered: Jan 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Kolona
Member # 1438

- posted      Profile for Kolona   Email Kolona         Edit/Delete Post 
Writing demands a certain discernment. Adverbs are as legitimate a tool to writers as nails are to carpenters. However, using adverbs (and adjectives) without discretion results in the dreaded purple prose, reminiscent of a child hammering nails into every surface he can find.
Posts: 1810 | Registered: Jun 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
Jules
Member # 1658

- posted      Profile for Jules   Email Jules         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Just don't split those infinitives.

Gah. The split infinitive is a part of modern English.

I will split any infinitive I want, as long as there is a reason for it; perhaps to improve the structure of a long sentence that would otherwise be difficult to understand, or simply because (as in the 'to boldly go' example) the sentence has a better rhythm that way around.

Posts: 626 | Registered: Jun 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
TheoPhileo
Member # 1914

- posted      Profile for TheoPhileo   Email TheoPhileo         Edit/Delete Post 
I was thinking about this while writing last night. A perfectly good place for an adverb is after "said." Any time a character's attitude isn't completely obvious by their speech, it's a good time to use an adverb, unless a replacement for 'said' happens to work (asked, snarled, snapped, etc), though a writer can easily overuse these, as if he is afraid of the simple (and usually sufficient) "said."
Posts: 292 | Registered: Feb 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

- posted      Profile for Survivor   Email Survivor         Edit/Delete Post 
Turn that around, and only replace 'said' with a color word when you would otherwise be forced to employ an adverb.
Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  | Report this post to a Moderator
JBShearer
Member # 9434

- posted      Profile for JBShearer   Email JBShearer         Edit/Delete Post 
"dreaded purple prose"

Heheheh...

Posts: 12 | Registered: Feb 2011  | Report this post to a Moderator
TheoPhileo
Member # 1914

- posted      Profile for TheoPhileo   Email TheoPhileo         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Turn that around, and only replace 'said' with a color word when you would otherwise be forced to employ an adverb.

Interesting point. I read somewhere (don't remember exactly where) you shouldn't use verbs to indicate dialog, when the word doesn't, by itself, mean speech. For example: "Why not?" he snapped. or "Get away from there," she growled.

I don't agree with this, though, if the word is used tastefully. Words are just about communicating ideas, right? So even if XXXX isn't really growling, or coughing out, or whatever, we can say he did and the reader gets the point. But I'm sure we've all also seen some far-stretched ideas that maybe should have been rephrased (and I just racked my brain, but really can't come up with a concrete example. Do you still get what I mean?). What do you guys think?

Posts: 292 | Registered: Feb 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

- posted      Profile for Survivor   Email Survivor         Edit/Delete Post 
Only saw 'growled' if the speaker is literally growling--making a low, threatening noise in the back of the throat. Same for snapping, meaning to close lips or jaws with a sharp, quick motion.

Don't use words with literal meanings just for flavor. If she was saying things that were snappish, but was not actually snapping when she said them, then don't say she was. Say she was snappish, or took a snappish tone. Actually, that makes for an interesting contrast you can explore, "her languid voice contrasted eerily with her snappish posture and demeaning words."

Anyway, the same applies for all words used in place of 'said' that have literal meanings. Use them only where the speaker is literally performing that action. Cough, snap, growl, yell, hiss, even belch these words all describe things that people can literally do when they vocalize. Use them literally, and only thus, and your prose will not be purple, though your characters may be.

Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.