Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » FTL travel

Author Topic: FTL travel
EricJamesStone
Member # 1681

- posted      Profile for EricJamesStone   Email EricJamesStone         Edit/Delete Post 
I decided to create an offshoot of the time travel topic to talk about this.

It is theoretically impossible to accelerate matter to the speed of light (and therefore impossible to accelerate to a speed faster than light) in normal space. As Christine mentioned, time slows as one approaches the speed of light. And the curve on which it slows is asymptotic (in other words, as you get closer to lightspeed, the factor by which time is slowed increases exponentially.) And the mass of any matter being accelerated also increases along a similar curve.

For any sort of drive on board the ship, the slowing of time is the limiting factor. From your point of view, your acceleration would be constant, but from the point of view of the rest of the universe, your acceleration would decrease. Outside observers would never see you reach lightspeed, even though you've been traveling for billions of years, trillions of years, and any number beyond that.

From your point of view, you are a fraction of a second from reaching the speed of light. You never are aware that the whole universe has passed away around you, and that you never actually finish that final fraction of a second.

For an acceleration force being applied from outside the ship's relativistic frame of reference, mass is the limiting factor. As the ship gets closer to the speed of light, its mass gets larger, which means it requires more energy to maintain the same acceleration. As the ship approaches the speed of light, its mass approaches infinity, and the energy needed to accelerate it also approaches infinity.

Therefore, any form of realistic faster-than-light travel cannot involve merely accelerating until one surpasses the speed of light.

Posts: 1517 | Registered: Jul 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
EricJamesStone
Member # 1681

- posted      Profile for EricJamesStone   Email EricJamesStone         Edit/Delete Post 
So, what options are there? There are three commonly-used possibilities:

1. Warp drive
2. Wormhole
3. Hyperspace

Warp drive involves altering the local spacetime continuum so that the ship does not travel faster than the sped of light locally, even if it appears to do so to an outside observer. Despite the fact that it sounds like it came out of Star Trek, this form of travel is theoretically possible, but involves manipulating exotic forms of matter and energy.

Wormhole travel would involve creating or finding a wormhole, expanding its entrance using exotic matter and energy, and probably moving one end of the wormhole to a desired location (which could take a very long time, as it would have to be done at sub-light speed.) Once it was set up, travel through the wormhole would be very quick no matter what the distance. Again, this is theoretically possible, but requires manipulation of exotic matter and energy.

Hyperspace travel involves leaving our normal universe, either to a parallel universe where the laws of physics are different, or to additional dimensions of our universe. After traveling in hyperspace for a while, the ship re-enters normal space near is destination. I don't know what current theory has to say about this possibility, but if it's theoretically possible, it probably involves manipulating exotic matter and energy.

[This message has been edited by EricJamesStone (edited February 22, 2004).]

Kolona
Member # 1438

- posted      Profile for Kolona   Email Kolona         Edit/Delete Post 
There's an interesting article at Space.com about a FTL drive that involves imaginary numbers:

quote:
Catherine Asaro's faster-than-light (FTL) space drive really works -- at least on paper.

The physicist and science fiction writer has based the "inversion engine" of her Skolian Empire space opera series on her own thought experiments about new forms of space travel.

Besides using it to get her characters from place to place, she first wrote about the mathematics of the FTL drive in an April 1996 paper in The American Journal of Physics.

For full article see http://www.space.com/sciencefiction/books/asaro_000204.html

[This message has been edited by Kolona (edited February 22, 2004).]

Posts: 1810 | Registered: Jun 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
EricJamesStone
Member # 1681

Interesting link, Kolona.

I didn't mean for my list of possible FTL technologies to be exclusive, of course.

TruHero
Member # 1766

- posted      Profile for TruHero   Email TruHero         Edit/Delete Post 
I am not sure about this form of travel. I looked at the link that was posted, and it didn't mention what kind of affect this would have on the human body.

Also, it would take materials that haven't been invented yet to withstand the heat and pressure. The person inside the vessel may just crystalize with that kind of force.

The space shuttle is barely able to withstand re-entry, and FTL travel would be alot faster than that. It doesn't take a rocket surgeon to figure that out.

So is there an answer for these problems? Even speculative? I am not a Sci-Fi person so that is why I am asking.

Posts: 471 | Registered: Sep 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

- posted      Profile for Survivor   Email Survivor         Edit/Delete Post 
My own idea is to basically shrink a patch of spacetime down real small, encapsulate it inside a tachyon, and hey presto!

Of course, mathmatically this has some of the same implications as the 'imaginary velocity" Asaro is using, though in this case it is the mass/energy of the ship that becomes more or less 'imaginary'

The shrinking effect means that you can also use naturally occuring wormholes which have become associated with the event horizons of small singularities (you do still need a stasis field, but since I'm already shrinking ships and putting them inside of tiny particles with imaginary mass) as transit points to travel intersteller distances (it isn't safe to go interstellar distances entachyated, since if you hit something that collapses the particle...well, it is bad--and this limits the safe speed of travel).

So in some sense, I'm using all three ideas, plus some complex number geometry. I used to play with an idea that was more hyperspacy, now I've got a mechanism that's a bit more warp speedy combined with wormholes...sometimes (when intership combat isn't involved) the mechanism is pretty much just wormholes.

I would tend to class Asaro's drive as a folded space type because it relies on higher dimension spatial manipulation (though these are implied rather than literal higher dimensions--as though that makes a difference ). Folded space types can be thought of as either hyper-space or warp-space models, depending.

But there are also 'jump' drives, where the jump is basically something like a quantum jump effect, the ship just disappears here and reappears there. And there are also time travel drives, where FTL doesn't occur per se, the ship uses a combination of time travel and relativistic speed to get there (seems a bit chicken and egg to me...how can you have time travel without FTL travel first?). But that's getting back to how time travel will work, which is another topic...

Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  | Report this post to a Moderator
Kolona
Member # 1438

quote:
It doesn't take a rocket surgeon to figure that out.

Love it, TruHero.

TruHero
Member # 1766

- posted      Profile for TruHero   Email TruHero         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Kolona! I go between that one and "Brain Scientist" Although, Rocket Surgeon just sounds better.

Survivor, Is your theory comparable to a "Portable Hole" in Fantasy (D&D) terms. Man, I love those magic items!

And, at some point could the ship and all it's occupants become imaginary as well? Is there a constant way of keeping that from happening? Or is it just a crap shoot whether or not you'll come out the other side, if indeed you know where the other side is. At least initially.

Posts: 471 | Registered: Sep 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
EricJamesStone
Member # 1681

quote:
Also, it would take materials that haven't been invented yet to withstand the heat and pressure. The person inside the vessel may just crystalize with that kind of force.

The space shuttle is barely able to withstand re-entry, and FTL travel would be alot faster than that.

The simple answer to this is that a starship designed to travel faster than light would generally only operate outside the atmosphere of any planets it encountered. The heat that the shuttle must withstand is caused by the friction of the atmosphere against its skin, so that would not be a problem for an interstellar ship.

As for pressure, I suppose you mean the force on the body due to high acceleration. As already mentioned, it's impossible to accelerate to the speed of light, so FTL travel would make use of other methods to have the apparent effect of exceeding the speed of light. Wormhole travel, for example, is like taking a shortcut through the universe, so it would probably not require high velocities.

However, travel through hyperspace or through warped space might still require acceleration to a high fraction of the speed of light.

With a constant acceleration of one gravity (the same amount of force you feel pulling you to earth right now), you could accelerate to any fraction of lightspeed in less than a year of subjective time. (Due to relativistic effects, it could take more than a year from the point of view of an outside observer.

However, a year of speeding up and a year of slowing down at the other end doesn't make for nice, efficient interstellar travel for story-telling purposes.

So, you need technologies such as gravitic control (allowing you to control the apparent gravity on board the ship, so that even when you're accelerating at 500 gees, it only feels like one).

joeboy
Member # 1927

- posted      Profile for joeboy   Email joeboy         Edit/Delete Post 
My favorite treatment from on FTL is from the E.E. “Doc” Smiths Skylark of space where they finally accelerate right on past the speed of light. One of the characters asks how that is possible in an Einsteinean universe and the other responds ... "relativity is only a theory".
Posts: 2 | Registered: Feb 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Kolona
Member # 1438

LOL, joeboy!
Jules
Member # 1658

- posted      Profile for Jules   Email Jules         Edit/Delete Post 
He did have some good FTL drives. I preferred the inertialess drive from the Lensman series, which as the name suggested totally neutralised the inertia acting on the ship, causing it to instantly accelerate in the direction of the net force applied to it, up to the point where drag equalled the force applied... just completely ignoring relativity again :-)

And if it hit anything, that was fine. It just stopped.

OK, so I can see the theoretical problems with this kind of drive, but hey, it _was_ funny.

[BTW - did anyone else notice the joke of the name of the conference that the imaginary number drive was presented to...?]

Posts: 626 | Registered: Jun 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
James Maxey
Member # 1335

- posted      Profile for James Maxey   Email James Maxey         Edit/Delete Post 
I used to live in denial of relativity. Because I didn't understand it myself, I thought that it was possible that even very smart guys like Einstein were just overlooking something obvious. Science fiction fans are exposed to stories of FTL travel so often eventually it becomes an article of faith. It must be possible, or all these stories which require it somehow have less worth. I wanted to read about things which could actually happen, rather than fairy tales that had no basis in reality.

Alas, after running into relativity a zillion times in my reading, something clicked inside my head and I finally understood why nothing can acellerate faster than light. It's nothing I can put into words quickly and easily, and certainly I'd be no better than Carl Sagan or Stephen Hawkings in attempting to describe it. Still, it's pretty obvious to me now that we don't live in the same universe where "Star Trek" takes place.

For a long time, I tried to adjust my writing accordingly--writing only SF tales set within the solar system, which is probably as far as mankind has any real hope of going for the next 10,000 years or so. Eventually, I think interstellar travel is possible, but only after the human life span has been stretched to virtual immortality (a possibility that seems more likely than finding a loophole in the speed of light). One day a thousand year trip among the stars will me no more of an investment of time as a percentage of life than the long journeys sailors used to make to come to America.

Fortunately, as I've grown older I've found myself more open to fairy tales. I'm finally able to believe seven impossible things before breakfast. Now I don't mind including FTL drives in my stories, and when I stick them in they are explained only with the silliest SF gobbledegook. Fortunately for most SF writers, SF readers want to make the leap of faith and believe in FTL drive, and will probably go along with it, even if you have only the flimsiest explanation. And sometimes these flimsy explanations are the best part of the story. Cordwainer Smith's "Game of Rat and Dragon" has a terrific line about ships travelling _under_ space, and finding strange beasties there. The human mind percieves theses beasts as dragons, and die from terror, but cats aboard ship see the beasts as rats, and kill them. It's an utterly bizarre premise to build a story on, but it worked, at least for me.

I don't have the exact quote, but I know that OSC once said that most Science Fiction is really only fantasy that uses "science" as magic.

--James Maxey

Posts: 252 | Registered: Dec 2001  | Report this post to a Moderator
EricJamesStone
Member # 1681

quote:
Still, it's pretty obvious to me now that we don't live in the same universe where "Star Trek" takes place.

The ultimate proof of this, of course, was the fact that in 1992, nobody published a book entitled "Chicago Mobs of the Twenties."

(I was going to make some sort of oblique reference to Nobody here, but I decided it would be too confusing.)

Kolona
Member # 1438

quote:
Fortunately, as I've grown older I've found myself more open to fairy tales. I'm finally able to believe seven impossible things before breakfast. Now I don't mind including FTL drives in my stories, and when I stick them in they are explained only with the silliest SF gobbledegook.

Yes, yes, yes! Why write yourself into a corner with science that's probably impossible anyway, even if you manage to research your way to a PhD, when the universe is -- pardon the pun -- an open book full of blank pages?

joeboy
Member # 1927

- posted      Profile for joeboy   Email joeboy         Edit/Delete Post 
James,

Sorry James, this isn’t meant to be a troll or an attack, but with respect to science if you can’t explain something, and explain it well and to an interested layman, then you really don’t understand it. (I guess I should come clean and say that I am not actually a writer at this point but rather a scientist who wants to learn to write. This also means that on this point I am biased as hell. )

Any way the thing to remember about all our models of the physical universe is that they are just that; models. These models all rest on the long, long, list of initial conditions and assumptions that we consider to be “reality” or “physical laws”.
When we use math it is just a system of conventions and tools we bent to fit our model of the universe so that we can manipulate it symbolically. You are making a common mistake. You appear to be confusing the validity of the mathematics behind relativity, and its wonderful fit to the macro universe, to mean to mean that the theory of relativity is in fact inviolate. That is both the beauty and the ugly little secret of science; nothing is inviolate.

As we use our observations to continually refine our models our assumptions about the universe and the nature of reality also change and in some cases old heresy becomes the new reality. Our model for that same physical universe is actually pretty poor when you start talking about applying energy on the scale found only in unstable atomic reactions.

If for example I creatively dump a tera-joule into a volume of say a cubic micro meter, or apply a couple of tera-eV across the same space. Are you so sure you could tell me what would happen to matter passing through that region of space-time? We already know that aspects of relativity break down. Better yet lets say I found a way to convert energy directly into angular momentum? In that case relativity goes the way of Kepler’s approximations; gorgeous but suddenly an echo simplifying reality for the humble minds of man rather then defining it.

You are entitled to your beliefs. I just hope we figure out a way our humble collection of rocks faster then 10K years is all. ;-)

Posts: 2 | Registered: Feb 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Kolona
Member # 1438

Better watch it, joeboy, or they'll yank your scientist card for telling their dirty little secrets.

(But I've suspected what you said all along. )

Survivor
Member # 213

Hah hah hah! Your hope is in vain, joeboy!

You little monkeys are staying right here till the bitter end, and I mean bitter. And end...don't forget that part

Relativity isn't that hard to understand...I think that most people just get told they can't understand it so often they start to believe it and don't bother trying.

Simply and easily, take a system where light signels are emitted from a device at the middle of your ship, and those signals bounce off mirrors at the prow and stern (or whatever you want to call the front and back of your ship), reflect back to a detector at the middle (right below the emitter, say).

As you speed up the ship to a relativistic velocity, the round trip for light bouncing off either mirror gets longer and longer...eventually, when you reach lightspeed, the round trip takes forever. The speed of light in your FOR has reached zero.

But the speed of light is the speed of electro-magnetic propagation...and all our physical processes depend on electro-magnetic forces. Freeze those, and everything else freezes too. Or if you like, think of the lamp and mirrors being replaced by a vibrating cesium atom (or whatever kind of atom). The electrical forces that allow it to vibrate at a given frequency slow down and eventually stop as it gets closer to lightspeed. Theoretically all atoms do this, we've only bothered to check with atoms embedded in the middle of an atomic clock so far.

If you do the math behind this, it turns out that the ship also gets shorter, and looking at it from the side it appears rotated, and fatter, and all kinds of strange stuff. But the basic concept is simple and doesn't require a lot of mathyness.

We currently have a few experiments in the works to verify that the other forces have the same speed as the EM force...observations tend to fit this idea so far, but it doesn't hurt to double check.

The thing is, this applies to a highly specific method of traveling through space (taken here as meaning space-time). The simple fact that this is the method with which we have the most practical experience doesn't change the fact that there are other means of 'travel' through space...some of which are unaffected by the theory of relativity (some of which we only know about because we see things travelling faster than light...which they can't be doing in the 'normal' way under relativity).

I'll reiterate this, we know experimentally that some things actually do travel faster than light...and we can't get a theoretical model of the universe to hold up without postulating that some things 'travel' faster than light.

MaryRobinette
Member # 1680

- posted      Profile for MaryRobinette   Email MaryRobinette         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm bumping this back up to the top because I was going to ask a question about FTL, but then had the bright idea of searching the archives first.

So, here's a new and related question. If I go to FairyTale land where I've got an FTL ship, would anyone like to make a guess on how long the subjective time of a 200-light year journey would be to the people on board the ship?

I suppose that would depend on how much faster than light, wouldn't it...?

Posts: 2022 | Registered: Jul 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
rickfisher
Member # 1214

- posted      Profile for rickfisher   Email rickfisher         Edit/Delete Post 
My dear Mrs. Kowal,

If you were dealing with relativity, then you'd need to know what percent of lightspeed you were going at to figure this out.

However, with FTL relativity doesn't apply. So you can pretty much make up whatever subjective elapsed time you want, and no one can argue with you. (My daughter adds: "At least not if you don't explain how it works.") You could even have the subjective time take longer than the actual time, e.g., the ship makes the 200 light-year trip in 2 years, but when it gets there, all the people on board are 10 years older than when they left.

Sincerely,
Mr. Fisher

[This message has been edited by rickfisher (edited March 03, 2005).]

Posts: 932 | Registered: Jul 2001  | Report this post to a Moderator
VirulentShadow
Member # 2409

- posted      Profile for VirulentShadow   Email VirulentShadow         Edit/Delete Post 
I think usual numbers say something like... if you are traveling a 99%c, four years onboard is something like 400,000 years on earth (or other.... relative frame).

But the warp drive brought up is really interesting. The "first working model" I guess you could say, was given by Miguel Alcubierre. THIS website can explain it much better, but the jist of it is that by contracting spacetime ahead of the vehicle, and expanding the spacetime behind the vehicle, the ship starts to ride the "wave" in a "bubble," where the ship would achieve FTL travel. I wonder what would happen if you put an engine on that ship though... acceleration inside the bubble? What would happen?

[This message has been edited by VirulentShadow (edited March 03, 2005).]

Posts: 12 | Registered: Mar 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
VirulentShadow
Member # 2409

- posted      Profile for VirulentShadow   Email VirulentShadow         Edit/Delete Post 
THIS is a fairly old site, so I am not sure how many of the links are still working, but it is a pretty all-encompassing site.
Posts: 12 | Registered: Mar 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
SteeleGregory
Member # 2049

- posted      Profile for SteeleGregory   Email SteeleGregory         Edit/Delete Post 
How long does the 200 light year trip need to take for the purposes of your story? Since FTL travel isn't theoretically possible given our current understanding of physics, you can pick your optimum time and create technobabble to suit your needs.

Einstein used a lot of constants in his equations that were based on givens (very strong guesses.) Ultimately he demonstrated mathematically that mass increases to infinity as velocity approaches the speed of light.

Mass seems to be constant under all conditions until you reach relativistic speeds, then it starts gaining a phantom multiplier that quickly slams on the brakes. I don't know how this could actually be tested, so I find it dubious.

Here's a link to confuse the issue further:
http://www.newton.dep.anl.gov/askasci/phy99/phy99186.htm

Personally, I believe we'll overcome the problem someday by finding there's just an error in one of our suppositions or discovering some unknown factor. (This is where Survivor steps in and corrects me. Please do.)

Anyway, change a constant to a variable or just add some bolognium to the relativity equations and *POW* your FTL drive works the way you want it to.

Posts: 103 | Registered: Jun 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
wbriggs
Member # 2267

- posted      Profile for wbriggs   Email wbriggs         Edit/Delete Post 
What's important for me is that the science SOUND right. If you find a way to make FTL travel work, you're in line for the Nobel.
Posts: 2830 | Registered: Dec 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

The reason that things get heavier when you accelerate them up to the speed of light is a bit like the reason that gases get hotter when you compress them and colder when you allow them to decompress.

Any time you accelerate a mass, you're adding energy to it. Add enough energy, and you start to noticibly increase the mass. When you're accelerating something up to lightspeed, you eventually get to the point where all the energy you add is needed just to get the energy you're adding up to near lightspeed, there isn't much left over for accelerating the thing you're accelerating. And at lightspeed, there is nothing left over, all the energy you add is being used to accelerated it's own mass up to lightspeed.

But as has already been mentioned, there are a lot of unknown factors. Relativity only prohibits a system composed of mass/energy contained in unification force bonds from propogating faster than the rate of propogation of unification forces. Stated this way, we can see that there are a number of ways around this difficulty. But as EJS said before, all of them are, pretty much by definition, somewhat exotic.

And currently unknown.

keldon02
Member # 2398

- posted      Profile for keldon02   Email keldon02         Edit/Delete Post 
Diverging a bit from the topic of propulsion to that of travel I believe that is a fairly large body of SciFi which uses two other FTL methods, both involving subjective movement. To me they both seem fantasy and unsuitable for any hard Sci Fi, however they have been used sucessfully for decades.

Alfred Bester in 'The Stars My Destination' outlined his idea of capability to move via willpower alone. The theoretical basis if I recall is develping the ability to visualize the desired place and one's self in it. Castaneda proposed the same in his Don Juan books. Both of these are arguably SciFi rather than fantasy.

Edgar Rice Burroughs discussed out of body travel in his Mars books. These are much closer to fantasy though I find it interesting that Stanislav Grof has accumulated some experimental evidence for its commonality even though I would argue with its validity.

Too great a tangent, or no greater than the concept of planoforming or warp drive?

Even further afield is wondering what would happen if we tapped the side of a cryocontainer of Bose condensate (with its light speed slowed to about 70 mile per hour) and sent a shock wave through it. Would the shock wave exceed the local speed of light in a normal manner or would it travel in a quantum manner?

[This message has been edited by keldon02 (edited March 06, 2005).]

[This message has been edited by keldon02 (edited March 06, 2005).]

Posts: 245 | Registered: Feb 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
Josh Leone
Member # 2365

- posted      Profile for Josh Leone   Email Josh Leone         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not a scientist, but I've looked into this subject for one of my books. Here's my thoughts.

A beam of energy is sent to a location in distant space. This beam contains a timed decay function which allows it to cease travel at a specific point and disperse over an area, affecting local quanta in such a way as to entangle a small batch of particles with a batch back on Earth. (This is the most theoretical point I think.)

With the entanglement achieved the batch on Earth is manipulated to create a series of nano-bots. Due to the entanglement identical nano-bots are created at the distant location. The bots are also programmed in this manner.

The nano-bots get to work on local matter (possibly having been sent to a cloud or giant where materials would be plentiful compared to open space) to multiply themselves into a number suited to work on larger projects.

At this point the bot-swarm can be programmed by use of the original entangled bots, and can get to work on just about anything including ships, colonies, or even organic matter.

Because entanglement more or less skips over the whole light speed limit, and a large enough swarm of nano-bots could build anything in a remarkably short span of time since they would be building it from the atoms up. Things, and even people, could be sent anywhere that could be reached by the initial energy beam. A system of relays built in this way could allow total population of the universe regardless of distance.

Now this is clearly all just theory and as I said, I am not a scientist. But nothing I’ve read and no one I’ve spoken to is able to disprove the possibility of it given current understanding. One of the first books I read on writing science fiction was titled Space Travel, edited by Ben Bova. It advises that a writer tries to stay as close as possible to the truth, but that it’s okay to be far fetched as long as no one can actually disprove you.

I would cite sources, but frankly it comes from so many bits and pieces of stuff I've read and heard over the years that I wouldn't know where to start.

[This message has been edited by Josh Leone (edited March 07, 2005).]

Posts: 95 | Registered: Feb 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

I'd find telekinetic manipulation more plausible. Like, a lot more plausible.

If you tap the side of a "cryocontainer of Bose condensate" then one of basically two things will happen. The more likely thing is that your tapping the container will not affect the condensate in any manner whatsoever, since it is not in contact with the walls of the container in any meaningful sense. However, assuming that somehow the energy from your tapping is transmitted to the condensate, it will immediately collapse. A Bose condensate can only exist because the particle motion has been basically arrested completely. Move the atoms, and they will start acting normally.

Lord Darkstorm
Member # 1610

- posted      Profile for Lord Darkstorm   Email Lord Darkstorm         Edit/Delete Post 
First off, I would find it hard to believe that we currrently have done more than scratch the surface of space travel. Look at our current system, we put things on top of a giant controlled explosion to get anything into space. We have so many theories, but so little factual information.

The problem with relativity is that space travel would resemble a tangent line. As your speed increases time slows. The problem with traveling the speed of light is that the math specifies that the speed of light is an infinite number that is never obtainable. However...what happens if you plot a 1.1 on a tangent curve? You get a legitimate number. So, just because our current knowlege of space is relying on decades old concepts, why would FTL travel be impossible. I bet 5 years ago the concept of stopping and starting light was concidered impossible as well. Now that it has been done, I guess the impossible is only impossible while people believe it cannot happen.

As for exotic materials, what makes them exotic? Becuase they are not common in everyones life? Bah! We are only limited by what we choose to be limited by. I'm still hoping that before I die I'll have a car that runs on some form of fusion power that never has to be replaced.

You can come up with whatever idea you want for your books, just make them sound reasonable. If anyone dissagrees, just politely ask them to prove you wrong by building whatever is in your book and show it doesn't work.

Posts: 807 | Registered: Mar 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

Which is another reason to use exotic materials...it's a lot harder to build something if you can't get the components.

My definition of "exotic" could vary quite a bit, but anything that wasn't composed of mass/energy contained in unification force bonds would definitely count. A fusion powered car, on the other hand, would definitely not count.

teddyrux
Member # 1595

- posted      Profile for teddyrux           Edit/Delete Post 
Famous last words:

"You can't travel faster than the speed of sound."

"You can't run a mile in under 4 minutes."

"You can't travel faster than the speed of light."

Can someone explain to me why you can't travel faster than the speed of light? Please don't tell that the human body can't stand it. That's what people said about the 4 minute mile and the speed of sound.

Rux

Posts: 198 | Registered: Feb 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
keldon02
Member # 2398

- posted      Profile for keldon02   Email keldon02         Edit/Delete Post 
I like telekinesis too, in large part because ESP is acceptable as a 'deux ex machine' by such a large portion of the reading public. Our literature has developed beyond the point where we can tolerate angels being lowered by wires from the ceiling but we still give a collective happy sigh when Asimov reveals the nature of the Mule.

(The shock wave when the Bose condensate disappears is the one I was talking about. Considering the speed of light there approachesw zero, any speed at all is FTL. But then if I understand it correctly, light in a BC is really just virtual light anyway, not the same thing as real light. I'm going to stop thinking about this phenomenom before I have to further screw up my scant writing time with another story that I don't need to start.)

Posts: 245 | Registered: Feb 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

The collapse of a Bose condensate is a quantum event, it doesn't involve motion as such.

Rux, please read at least the first post in a thread before replying. That can help you avoid totally irrelevant comments.

If you did read the first post, and read the subsequent posts, and you still don't feel that we've explained why it is logically impossible for an entity composed of mass/energy contained in unification force bonds to propogate faster than the rate of propogation of unification forces, then no, no one can explain this to you.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.