Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Need advice on agent

Author Topic: Need advice on agent
Hildy9595
Member # 1489

- posted      Profile for Hildy9595   Email Hildy9595         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm trying to decide on my next steps regarding the manuscript an agent requested and has now had for nearly six months.

When I submitted, I was told that it would take about six WEEKS to get an answer regarding representation. I think at this point I've been beyond patient. I have sent one very polite email to "ping" the agent through her assistant. I did not receive a response.

My mamma didn't raise a fool, so I'm assuming at this point that no response equals no. My question is, should I call and confirm this? The agent herself called me to request the manuscript and gave me her phone number at that time. Should I use it now? If so, what are some suggestions for what to say? Or should I just punt and move on, starting over with the query letters to other agents?

Any suggestions will be appreciated!

Posts: 338 | Registered: Aug 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
lindsay
Member # 1741

- posted      Profile for lindsay   Email lindsay         Edit/Delete Post 
I always say that writing to be published is a business and we writers need to treat it as such. So, yes, definitely call since the agent made a personal call to you *and* gave her phone number.

Suggestions as for what to say? Be professional and upbeat, state your name, remind her that on such-and-such a date she called you to request your manuscript, and you're now following up on the status of it. (State what the project is; fantasy, sci/fi, etc., and the working title.)

If she's busy/doesn't have time to talk, or can't remember your manuscript, I'd gently push to have another phone conversation later in the week, and set a date & time for the call while you're on the line. (And I'd personally keep the ball in my own court - you call her, not leave yourself waiting for a call that might not happen from their end.)

As for moving on to query another agent, I wouldn't until I'd learned for sure about this one. Six months is a long time to wait, and, yes, you've been more than patient. But you also chose this agent for a specific reason in the first place, so I'd give this a few more days to get closure with it one way or the other before sending the work elsewhere.

That's my opinion... Good luck!

Posts: 87 | Registered: Sep 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
lindsay
Member # 1741

- posted      Profile for lindsay   Email lindsay         Edit/Delete Post 
Whoops. I have one more bit to add to this (I'm a little too quick with the submit button sometimes.)

Anyway, I wanted to state that if this agent says no but has feedback to offer, listen to what she has to say and take notes. (You can chew on all of the advice later and use it or not.) Before ending the conversation, thank her for taking the time to read your work and for sharing her thoughts.

I wouldn't defend my work to someone giving me a no-go, because I think that's just wasted energy. (If you didn't convince them to buy from the words you wrote, I don't think you'll convince them to do so by arguing points on the phone.) So I would listen and then thank her (unless, of course, she is just rude, and if so I'd end the call nicely and forget the whole incident the minute I hung up. We writers must protect our creative energies! Forgetting and moving on works well in that case).

But definitely thank her if she offers feedback, whether or not you agree with the feedback. The reason I say this is because I know of one agent who is now a senior editor at a publishing house, and of one editor who has since become a major player as an agent.

So...my added advice is to not burn any bridges with anyone. You never know if this person will one day become an editor with whom you feel your work will ultimately click.

Posts: 87 | Registered: Sep 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
srhowen
Member # 462

- posted      Profile for srhowen   Email srhowen         Edit/Delete Post 
A polite phone call is not a problem, and she has had the ms long enough if she promised 6 weeks. But do remember that things happen. Do you know she got it for sure? She could have moved her office and lost it--know a writer this happened to and she waited a year before she called.

As to advice--listen to it. Listen to it. I could say that again. An agent knows what will sell. Is the advice given on a --do this and resubmit or just a general --hey you have too much of this or not enough of that.

Keep in mind that you are likely to gather a mess of rejections.

Are you doing one at a time? You might want to consider more at a time.

Off to work--

Shawn

Posts: 1019 | Registered: Apr 2000  | Report this post to a Moderator
Kolona
Member # 1438

- posted      Profile for Kolona   Email Kolona         Edit/Delete Post 
If the agent gave you her phone number, there was an attendant understanding you were free to use it at an appropriate time. You're well into that appropriate time. Besides giving the particulars of your situation, I'd suggest clearly asking for a decision on your manuscript, explaining that you want to market it to other agents if she's going to pass on it. I'd also follow up the phone call with a letter stating all the same information.
Posts: 1810 | Registered: Jun 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
Hildy9595
Member # 1489

- posted      Profile for Hildy9595   Email Hildy9595         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for all your advice! I'm going to call today and find out what's what.
Posts: 338 | Registered: Aug 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.