Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Hemingway

Author Topic: Hemingway
wetwilly
Member # 1818

- posted      Profile for wetwilly   Email wetwilly         Edit/Delete Post 
Does anybody here like Hemingway? If so, could you please explain to me why? In my opinion, his work is some of the most mind-numbing, pointless drivel I've ever read. Does anybody have any ideas why his work has been so successful? Is there some great quality to it that I'm missing, or is it just pretentious literary snobs who pretend they like it so they can scorn the ignorant fools who don't "get it?" Seriously, what's the attraction?

[This message has been edited by wetwilly (edited March 03, 2004).]

Posts: 1528 | Registered: Dec 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Kolona
Member # 1438

- posted      Profile for Kolona   Email Kolona         Edit/Delete Post 
Ah...a kindred soul. I'm with you, wetwilly. Except for The Old Man and the Sea, I can't think of a good thing to say about Hemingway's writing. Always people drag out that old bromide when it comes to him that "less is more." To me, less may be more, but nothing is nothing. I know I'm repeating what I've posted about him before, but he was a reporter first and foremost and wrote just about everything in bald reporter facts. No beauty to his writing, nothing interesting in his stories -- to me the hype surrounding him is "all sound and fury, signifying nothing" (or however that goes). (Do you get the impression I don't like Hemingway? )

Posts: 1810 | Registered: Jun 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

- posted      Profile for Survivor   Email Survivor         Edit/Delete Post 
I like Hemingway's writing style.

I agree that some of it seems pretty pointless, but none of it could really be called drivel.

And some of his stories are really good. Even Kolona likes The Old Man and the Sea.

Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  | Report this post to a Moderator
lindsay
Member # 1741

- posted      Profile for lindsay   Email lindsay         Edit/Delete Post 
Whenever I think of Hemingway, I think of Tolstoy - and I think of a world that was.

These two writers, for me, captured in print moments in time that will never be again.

In essence, what worked "then" in a novel would not, in my opinion, work today.

We're a society being fed instant gratification (and we've been targeted as consumers at a far earlier age than in Hemingway's time). We like things faster, harder, more "on" nowadays.

But think about Hemingway's life, and the times in which he lived. Think about the types of communications that reached people then, and *how* they reached the average person. Movies (Hollywood reaching new heights with film) and books becoming more and more available and more affordable for the "average Joe,"...and then add to that Hemingway's travels, and his penchant for "bumping into folks" during those travels...and you have a building of interest, a uniqueness...a star being born.

I also think of Jack Kerouac when I hear the name of Hemingway. Both names bring to my mind the image of a salty writer with ink-stained hands, and some old, clickety-clackety typewriter in front of them -- real writers living, pounding out words, upping the interest quotient maybe not so much by the words they wrote but perhaps more by the lives they lived and the folks they met and the time in which they existed.

So...having said all that, I guess I think your post should generate the question of..."What can a writer of today do to make him/herself stand out like a Hemingway, Tolstoy or Kerouac?"

How to take the happenings of today, the pulse point of today, and make it become some piece of writing that others, years from now, might not find thoroughly invigorating, but *will* find it to be a barometer of the world in which that person lived...or perhaps, a piece talked about and remembered long after that person died.

Posts: 87 | Registered: Sep 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
punahougirl84
Member # 1731

- posted      Profile for punahougirl84   Email punahougirl84         Edit/Delete Post 
No.

I remember reading The Old Man and the Sea out loud one afternoon to help someone with an assignment. I didn't enjoy it, or any other Hemingway I was forced to read.

Posts: 465 | Registered: Aug 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
wetwilly
Member # 1818

"How to take the happenings of today, the pulse point of today, and make it become some piece of writing that others, years from now, might not find thoroughly invigorating, but *will* find it to be a barometer of the world in which that person lived"

I'd much rather write stories that people find thoroughly invigorating.

[This message has been edited by wetwilly (edited March 03, 2004).]

JBShearer
Member # 9434

- posted      Profile for JBShearer   Email JBShearer         Edit/Delete Post 
I think of Hemingway more as a writer of an extended vignette. His work isn't fun to read, though it is interesting. It DOES expound on life in his era, on human thought in his era. I don't believe it was ever meant to entertain in the way that we, as modern people, think. It was probably something more that lead him to write it, that sense of immortality that writers pridefully believe they can give to their work, putting their minds into their work and leaving something to posterity. I believe that much (but not all) of Dickens is the same. Don't get me wrong, I LOVED David Copperfield, but it isn't a leisurely entertaining read. It is something that isn't necessarily fun, but it gives you something inexplicable to walk away with. It changes you.

That isn't to say that there isn't older writing that is entertaining. Anyone who has read a portion of Dumas's vast oevre of works will attest to that. The "Three Musketeers" line is tremendously exciting.

I don't enjoy reading Hemingway, but I most definately enjoy HAVING READ Hemingway.

[This message has been edited by JBShearer (edited March 04, 2004).]

Posts: 12 | Registered: Feb 2011  | Report this post to a Moderator
Balthasar
Member # 5399

- posted      Profile for Balthasar   Email Balthasar         Edit/Delete Post 
I like Hemingway -- espcially his short-stories -- espiecally his Nick Adams stories. I also liked The Old Man and the Sea quite a bit.

I think what makes him hard to read -- at least his short stories (I've never read any of his novels) -- is that he comes from the James Joyce school that a short story must end in an epiphany. So sometimes you have to read his stories four or five times to really understand what the story's about -- before you grasp the epiphany. But the more you read him, the easier he is to read. Unfortunately, sometimes he's too obscure, like he is in "The Hills Like White Elephants." (The story's about abortion, by the way.)

Hemingway also comes for the school (which still exists in contemporary literary circles) where the writer must also be a stylist -- he must have a distinctive prose. Hemingway certainly does, and sometimes it gets the best of him.

Don't be so quick to dismiss him, though. But if you don't like him, you don't like him. There's nothing wrong with that . . . so long as you've given him a fair chance.

What have you read of him that has made you dislike him so much?

[This message has been edited by Balthasar (edited March 04, 2004).]

Posts: 130 | Registered: Apr 2007  | Report this post to a Moderator
Balthasar
Member # 5399

Kolona,

Interesting that you should quote that line from Shakespeare in reference to Hemingway, since part of it is the title of a novel by one of Hemingway's great contemporaries. Are you suggesting that William Faulkner is a far superior author than Hemingway?

I think he is.

Kolona
Member # 1438

quote:
I don't enjoy reading Hemingway, but I most definately enjoy HAVING READ Hemingway.

LOL, JB. Or should I say J”Churchill”B?

quote:
How to take the happenings of today, the pulse point of today, and make it become some piece of writing that others, years from now, might not find thoroughly invigorating, but *will* find it to be a barometer of the world in which that person lived...or perhaps, a piece talked about and remembered long after that person died.

This certainly has happened, and that’s very well put, but with Hemingway, as with Fitzgerald, my impression is that these are not the common men but the elite, the globetrotters. Kind of like looking in on Hollywood -- with celebrity adulation and all -- and acting as if any story about Hollywood or elite types gives valid insight into how normal society functions.

And yes, I know Hemingway was a rough-and-tumble sort of guy, unlike the Fitzgerald characters and Hollywood types, but Hemingway’s reporter travels and lifestyle still qualify him for membership in the elite, IMHO. And I don’t connect with it, rube that I am. In fact, they usually bore me. (No PC there. )

quote:
Hemingway also comes for the school (which still exists in contemporary literary circles) where the writer must also be a stylist -- he must have a distinctive prose. Hemingway certainly does, and sometimes it gets the best of him.

Oh, my. I firmly believe in writing style and distinctive prose. I think it’s wonderful when you’re able to look at a piece of writing and say, “So-and-so wrote that.” But, it doesn’t necessarily mean the writing is good; it can just as easily mark a bad stylistic writing – which is how I see Hemingway.

quote:
I think what makes him hard to read -- at least his short stories (I've never read any of his novels)

Ah…maybe that's part of the difference in our outlooks, Balthasar. I’ve read several of his books, but it’s entirely possible I never read any of his short stories, though I may be mistaken on that. In high school we read The Sun Also Rises and A Farewell to Arms, both of which I detested, then The Old Man and the Sea, which pleasantly surprised me. I’d find it hard to believe we didn’t do some of his shorts, since the teachers seemed obsessed with him. I mean, two full novels minimum, then our reading lists were peppered with other books by Hemingway -- and I don’t think other authors got as much promotion.

Then in college I had to do a paper on Hemingway, in which I gave my true opinion, and got a “B” (it might even have been a “C”) -- the only “B” among my “A’s,” which fully incensed me against Hemingway. I suspected it was a content-based grade, not execution-based as it was supposed to have been. Up to that point, I had been giving Hemingway a fair chance and disliking him on his own demerits. After that, all bets were off.

Never read Faulkner. Strange, huh?

I think someone mentioned James Joyce. Strangely enough, I liked his Portrait of the Artist As a Young Man.

Survivor
Member # 213

Joyce wrote some pretty good stuff, though the writing that made him famous was pretty unutterable trash for the most part.

I don't connect Hemmingway and Tolstoy at all. They don't even come from the same moral universe. Tolstoy...well, he's a man of a utterly different kind from Hemmingway.

I have to agree with Kolona insofar as taking Hemmingway as "the pulse point" of his era...perhaps he was, in a sense, but I don't think that makes him worth reading. For me, there are only a few Hemmingway themes that are meaningful enough to rise above the depravity of man as he saw and portrayed it.

I share much of his core cynicism about man, but I find greater meanings in it.

Still, I like the man's style. And his epiphanies, while small (and hard to find for some), are meaningful. Hemmingway didn't take meaning for granted. When he found it in his writing, it isn't banal, even when it is nearly trivial.

To answer wetwilly's original point, I think the very moral emptiness of Hemmingways universe is part of what allows a certain kind of 'literati' to read and understand him. He shows them meanings in life that they are willing to believe.

But I still mostly just like his writing style.

Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
FWIW, I'm not much of a Hemingway fan either.

I think his style is clean and straightforward, and probably qualifies as "invisible" as much as any style can.

I also think he's a much better short story writer than he is a novel writer, and I suspect that may be because his style is better suited to shorter works than it is to longer ones.

But that's only my opinion, hence FWIW.

Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

The internet is such a wonderful place. It used to be that you could only play decode-the-cryptic-message-of-this-alphamumeric with vanity plates (which were rarer in those olden days). Now we get to play full time as we cruise the "information superhighway"
Hildy9595
Member # 1489

- posted      Profile for Hildy9595   Email Hildy9595         Edit/Delete Post 
FWIW = for what it's worth

I personally find Hemingway bores me to tears. I appreciate the style and technique, but the actual stories don't hold my interest at all.

Posts: 338 | Registered: Aug 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
GZ
Member # 1374

- posted      Profile for GZ   Email GZ         Edit/Delete Post 
I thought I would die of boredom before I finished The Old Man and the Sea, and the symbolism at the end seemed over the top. I didn't detest The Sun Also Rises as much, but I didn't love it either -- it felt rather pointless. His writing style is too plain for my tastes, and his characters are not people I can really relate too.

<-- Not a Hemingway fan, if that wasn't clear from above

[This message has been edited by GZ (edited March 05, 2004).]

Posts: 652 | Registered: Feb 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
ccwbass
Member # 1850

- posted      Profile for ccwbass   Email ccwbass         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd like to posit that Hemingway is a favorite in the universities for roughly the same reason Shakespeare is: Invisibility.(riffing off of Kathleen, here).

In Shakespeare, all you get is guys saying stuff and doing stuff without the benefit of any third person explication whatsoever. Thus, every play is essentially a Rorschach test, and is open to endless interpretation even without employing Literary Theory.

Somehow, Hemingway has managed to perfect a narrative (I am almost tempted to call it non-narrative) style which achieves the same thing, with the result that Hemingway can mean anything one wants Hemingway to mean, effortlessly.

I suspect I'm only being partially sarcastic here.

Posts: 249 | Registered: Jan 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
asherahpole
Member # 1900

- posted      Profile for asherahpole   Email asherahpole         Edit/Delete Post 
Shakespeare and Hemingway are both studied in the universities because both are great writers, especially the former.

Hemingway is a wonderful writer. May not be to your tastes, but objectively he is a fine writer and deserves to be studied.

I realize that OSC laments the lack of SF studies in the university and that popular culture should be included in the cannon. I agree, but that does not mean that we should discard Shakespeare, and I'm sure OSC agrees.

Shakespeare is a wonderful storyteller too, although he borrowed his plots from other sources. Hemingway is not only a great sentence craftsman, but also knows how to tell a story. However, both writers have uneven works. But overall, they are great writers.

Just because you don't have a taste for them or are not sophisticated enough to appreciate them does not mean that they are not great writers. Maybe you're not a great critic.

Posts: 10 | Registered: Jan 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
ccwbass
Member # 1850

Actually, I'm a superb critic. I even know how to spell Focoulte. Fohkault. Fuhclut. Forkrout. Ah, the hell with it.

Anyways, it turns out I really like Shakespeare's plays, and, to a certain degree, Hemingway's short stories (although, really, you can see his suicide coming a mile away, can't you?). My slam - which I admit may be a tad misplaced in this thread - was directed at, oh, let's call it the authors' mutual openness to intellectual abuse by people not anywhere near as intelligent and brilliant and just altogether wise and mature and learned as myself.

Nyah.

Cheers,

Sarcasm Boy

[This message has been edited by ccwbass (edited March 05, 2004).]

Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
Oops. Sorry, Survivor (and anyone else who didn't know what I meant by FWIW).

I thought I'd used it here before, with the translation, and I didn't want to drive everyone crazy by including the translation every time I use it.

There are all kinds of (webforumese? virtual conversationese? computer talk glyphs?) abbreviations out there, and when I was an assistant sysop on GEnie, we used them a lot. I try not to use them here, because I don't know if everyone knows them, but sometimes I forget and slip up.

Apologies.

Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

And thanks, Hildy, for providing the translation.
TruHero
Member # 1766

- posted      Profile for TruHero   Email TruHero         Edit/Delete Post 
You know I really hate it when someone says you're "not sophisticated enough to appreciate" something. Maybe it is just because I don't like it, plain and simple.
Sophistication has nothing to do with it. You either like a thing or you don't. I can take or leave Hemingway, good writer, boring stories. That doesn't mean my tastes are lacking a certain sophistication.
I hate onions, brussel sprouts, horseradish, large sea-going bugs(lobster & crab)ocean roaches if you ask me. Some people like Classical music or Country, or Jazz. I like Rock. (I know it's only rock-n-roll, but I like it!) That doesn't mean my tastes are not "sophisticated", they just vary from someone elses tastes. But, if it soothes your big head to say that someone else has less sophisticated tastes because they don't agree, go right ahead. I realize some people need to feel self important. It's too bad that is the only reply someone can come up with, when faced with opposition. It is used as a comeback far too much on this BB. It's sad, really.

Posts: 471 | Registered: Sep 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Kolona
Member # 1438

quote:
large sea-going bugs(lobster & crab)ocean roaches if you ask me.

Bless your heart, TruHero. Finally. Someone who has discerning tastes. Like me.

My word. I wouldn't think to put Hemingway in the same class as Shakespeare. Personally, I think the elite like Papa H mainly because they're fascinated with his suicide. Kind of like an artist's work rising in value with his death.

Call me cynical. <shrug>

wetwilly
Member # 1818

Allow me to beat a dead horse, Asherapole, but surely you can't expect to make a statement like that without getting shot down. Sorry our tastes aren't sophisticated enough to like Hemingway? What a stupid thing to say. If sophistication is what it takes to enjoy stories about elitist snobs having pointless conversations, then I'm just going to have to insult your intelligence and call you sophisticated.

I'm not saying there's anything wrong with liking Hemingway. If you see something good in his work that I don't, then by all means, enjoy Hemingway. That doesn't mean that people who aren't touched by it in any way are unsophisticated.

Although, now that I think about it, I'm probably pretty lacking in the sophistication department, so I suppose I have no reason to take offense. I'd rather eat a quarter-pounder with cheese than caviar, and I'd rather listen to Dr. Dre than Brahms, so it shouldn't come as any surprise that my Mt. Dew and MTV soaked brain doesn't enjoy Hemingway. I guess I just like things that bring some sort of pleasure.

I love Shakespeare, by the way. Mostly.

ccwbass
Member # 1850

"Mt. Dew-soaked brain"??

You slobbering monkey-whelp of the wretched proletariat! We truly sophisticated types drink refreshing Dr. Pepper.

Try some.

EricJamesStone
Member # 1681

- posted      Profile for EricJamesStone   Email EricJamesStone         Edit/Delete Post 
Please, folks, do your research before posting:

Since the 1950's, there has been no period after the "Dr" in "Dr Pepper." (You may place a period after "Pepper" if it's at the end of a sentence.)

Posts: 1517 | Registered: Jul 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
ccwbass
Member # 1850

Elitism! Snobbery!

...Woah! Sorry. It was the caffeine talking, not me.

Maybe I'll switch to Diet Coke.

TruHero
Member # 1766

You know, I have been to the top of Mt. Dew. You what I found there? Dr Pepper! Although I have been known to revert back to my Mt Dew ways occasionally.

I wonder if Hemingway ever really enjoyed a Dr Pepper?

ccwbass
Member # 1850

Hemingway's problems are obviously tied to his drinking habits. Opting neither to do the Dew nor to be a Pepper, nor possibly even wanting to try to teach the world to sing, he instead felt as if lowly, common booze were all the inspiration he needed.

Sad, pathetic, carbonation-denied man, was old Hemingway.

Survivor
Member # 213

Yes he was, yes he was.

By the way, asherahpole (and I do wonder what that means) did say "don't have a taste for them or are not sophisticated enough...."

Just to unbeat a dead horse a little.

TruHero
Member # 1766

Eh, I am over that now. I said my piece. No real offense to Asherapole, but I have seen that comeback more than a few times here and it just gets old after a while. Asherapole's comment was just the "one too many" for me, and it wasn't even directed my way. Go figure?
Besides, the refreshing beverage discussion is way better than bantering back and forth about Hemingway. Unless we can combine the two!

I would be willing to bet that Hemingway did enjoy a Rum&Coke a time or two, while he was writing. (just to keep the Hemingway portion of the discussion going)

[This message has been edited by TruHero (edited March 07, 2004).]

loggrad98
Member # 1724

- posted      Profile for loggrad98   Email loggrad98         Edit/Delete Post 
I wonder if someone can tell me where I can read a quote from Hemmingway claiming that his story "Hills like white elephants" is about abortion? I had this debate with a college professor that I believed it was what the elite wanted you to think about the story, and he claimed that it was what Hemmingway wanted it to mean, yet he could cite nothing proving that Hemmingway had that intention at all. Anyone have any idea where there is any proof that Hemmingway intended Hills to be about abortion?
Posts: 45 | Registered: Aug 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
EricJamesStone
Member # 1681

- posted      Profile for EricJamesStone   Email EricJamesStone         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I've never been one to go overboard in trying to read meaning into text, but what possible alternative operation do you think the characters might be talking about? I just read the story, and abortion's the only thing I think would fit.
Posts: 1517 | Registered: Jul 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
ccwbass
Member # 1850

Yeah, abortion was what I got out if it, too, when we took it apart in a class. But I don't think abortion was the main theme, but rather the device used to present a story about the very passive-aggressive manner in which this couple communicated. I call this one of his good ones.
Balthasar
Member # 5399

(1) It was unfortunate that I originally said "The Hills Like White Elephants" is about abortion. Rather, I should've said that the characters are talking about abortion. I don't think Hemingway had a political agenda -- thought that might be how he's presented today. I've read the story several times, and I think the beauty of the story is how perfectly Hemingway presents that relationship. I could say more, but I won't . . . .

(2) Hemingway is a far, far better short-story writer than he is a novelist. The Old Man and the Sea may be the only good novel he wrote, though I'm told The Sun Also Rises is quite good (I've read the former, but not the latter). If you haven't read his short stories, that's where you need to begin. Especially his short stories about Nick Adams: "Indian Camp" and "The Killers" being two of the best.

(3) I'm not so sure that Hemingway belongs in the same camp as Shakespeare, but that's nothing against Hemingway. Whatever camp Shakespeare belongs to, there are only a handful of members. I'd only include Tolstoy and Dickens.

[This message has been edited by Balthasar (edited March 07, 2004).]

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.