Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » No president left behind

Author Topic: No president left behind
glogpro
Member # 1745

- posted      Profile for glogpro           Edit/Delete Post 
Do any of y'all have strong reactions to usages that have become common but are logically SO wrong?

Examples:

Go back from whence you came
(should be go back whence you came -- whence means "from where")

Using 'data' as if it were a singular noun

"Begs the question" interpreted to mean "prompts the question." Correct meaning is a logical argument where you assume the very thing you are supposed to prove.

Anyone with sense knows their own limitations. (Mixes singular and plural case)

As a writer, grammar is important to me.
(Should be, 'As a writer, I ....'. The construction 'As a writer, grammar ...' makes it sound like it is grammer that is the writer, not that far distant pronoun 'me'.

You get the idea.

Now to the hook for the subject line. I thought that one of the foundational ideas for no child left behind is the importance of basics: grammar, spelling, proper language, math, etc. I would guess that the strongest proponents of basics instruction and testing and all that would take great offense at the suggestion that grammar, spelling, proper usage don't matter very much, as long as you get your idea across. Am I right? Then why does our President continue to say "nucular" when he should be saying "nuclear?" Why do his handlers implicitly accept this usage as correct etc? Does this bother anyone but me?

Posts: 550 | Registered: Sep 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

- posted      Profile for Survivor   Email Survivor         Edit/Delete Post 
I think he does it to be snide...possibly specifically to get under your skin.

"From whence" isn't actually incorrect, just redundent...like saying something was "cerulean blue" or "sitting on (something)".

We almost never talk about an individual datum anymore, thought people do still use the word. I'm not sure which usages you mean other than using 'data' where 'datum' would be correct...I'm thinking you mean grammatical usages but I can't think of any off the top of my head.

"That begs the question" is commonly used to mean an answer removes the question to another question of similar implication.

"How did life arise on Earth?"

"It drifted in from space as microscopic spores."

"That begs the question, how did it arise somewhere else?"

This usage is still correct. Most people don't use it for "prompts the question" because the usage "brings up the question" is still far more common and comfortable for most people. However, while begging the question can mean 'appealing to the question', it can also correctly be taken to mean 'appealing for the question'...it is simply that one usage is more commonly accepted, not that the other usage is in any way actually incorrect.

quote:
I would guess that the strongest proponents of basics instruction and testing and all that would take great offense at the suggestion that grammar, spelling, proper usage don't matter very much, as long as you get your idea across.

Indeed, this may be the case, but I don't see what this all has to do with pronunciation...which doesn't fall iunder any of the above catagories and isn't standardized under our language system.

If any man desire precision in language, let him first cast out the beam in his own

Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  | Report this post to a Moderator
punahougirl84
Member # 1731

- posted      Profile for punahougirl84   Email punahougirl84         Edit/Delete Post 
Glogpro - you are not alone. I've been complaining about "nucular" ever since I first heard him say it. I believe by the time someone told the president (governor?) his pronunciation was in error, it was too late. Changing it would make him look wrong, so I think he believes he can get away with it due to regional/cultural differences in pronunciation. Personally, it drives me nuts. He probably also says he's doin' 'good' (the good/well issue bugs me too). I don't think he should be meddling in education in our country - on one hand pretending to be so concerned, on the other praising how well C students can do (not saying they can't) and seeming to encourage people to BE C students... (I'm thinking of the commencement address he gave at Yale - I admit to being offended at what he said). I'm not meaning to judge people on grades - just seeing this as a support for partying instead of studying, and then what kind of books will we read - Frat Boy vs. Axis of Evil in Space?

There is a time to party, and a time to study. If he were a character in a book, misusage would actually be ok in dialogue, to show something about the character. But in real life, well, I know our language changes and evolves, but really!

Posts: 465 | Registered: Aug 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
wetwilly
Member # 1818

- posted      Profile for wetwilly   Email wetwilly         Edit/Delete Post 
must...not...yell at...the liberal...Bush haters...

Okay, I think I've got that under control. As Survivor said, nucular is a matter of pronunciation, not grammar, and I don't think anybody expects Texans to use proper pronunciation.

You people owe me one for keeping this post constrained to the subject of the original grammar issue, and keeping poilitics out of it. It wasn't easy.

Must...hit...send...before I start...a fight...about...politics.

Posts: 1528 | Registered: Dec 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
EricJamesStone
Member # 1681

- posted      Profile for EricJamesStone   Email EricJamesStone         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

And dost thou not hate the way people use "you" to refer to just one person, when really they should say "thou?"

I think "they" is well on its way to having the meaning "one person of unspecified gender." And frankly, I think it's a much better solution than "he or she" or "he/she" or "s/he" or "one." The language is evolving in that direction, and it makes just as much logical sense as using "you" instead of "thou" for the second person singular.

(And -- before someone calls me on it -- the word "gender" has been evolving, too, and common usage allows it to refer to the sex of a person.)

Posts: 1517 | Registered: Jul 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
pickled shuttlecock
Member # 1714

- posted      Profile for pickled shuttlecock           Edit/Delete Post 
Webster's defies the Bush haters:

Main Entry: nu·cle·ar
Pronunciation: 'nü-klE-&r, 'nyü-, ÷-ky&-l&r

Sorry guys. Pronounciation changes over time, and there's nothing you can do about it. It's pretty much a majority thing...

When I lived in Britain, there were plenty of place names that had what seemed like a zillion extraneous letters in them. Here's a lovely one:

Main Entry: Worces·ter
Pronunciation: 'wus-t&r

And "Worcestershire" is pronounced "'wus-t&r-sh&r".

By the way, do any of you language sticklers whose hackles are raised by Bush's pronounciation of "nuclear" pronounce "mischievous" as "mischeeveeus?"

Posts: 84 | Registered: Aug 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Jules
Member # 1658

- posted      Profile for Jules   Email Jules         Edit/Delete Post 
There are a lot of things I hate. Mostly incorrect use of it's and its and their and there, because they can be really confusing.

Also people who use a word that sounds similar to the one that they're supposed to be using, rather than the correct one. A classic example is 'I could of done that' rather than 'I could have done that'.

quote:
Anyone with sense knows their own limitations.

I'm not sure I see what's wrong with this. Could you explain in more detail? You say its something about plural and singular usage mixed up, but I don't get that. Anyone is singular, knows is third person singular, their is gender-neutral singular. What's the issue?

quote:
When I lived in Britain, there were plenty of place names that had what seemed like a zillion extraneous letters in them.

Worcester's nothing, you can almost work out why its pronounced that way (contraction of the 'orce' into the 's' that follows it). I used to live near a town called 'Fowey', pronounce 'Foy'.

Posts: 626 | Registered: Jun 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Kolona
Member # 1438

- posted      Profile for Kolona   Email Kolona         Edit/Delete Post 
And then there's John Kerry pronouncing Ghengus Khan as 'jengis' Khan. But I guess it's more patrician that way. Or French.
Posts: 1810 | Registered: Jun 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
punahougirl84
Member # 1731

- posted      Profile for punahougirl84   Email punahougirl84         Edit/Delete Post 
From Websters online: "usage Though disapproved of by many, pronunciations ending in \-ky&-l&r\ have been found in widespread use among educated speakers including scientists, lawyers, professors, congressmen, U.S. cabinet members, and at least one U.S. president and one vice president. While most common in the U.S., these pronunciations have also been heard from British and Canadian speakers."

http://www.merriam-webster.com/cgi-bin/dictionary?book=Dictionary&va=nuclear&x=0&y=0

It is true that people's mispronunciation can lead to a pronunciation being added to the dictionary - I love how Webster's justifies it (disapproved of, but found anyway)! Most of the educated people I know don't pronounce 'nuclear' with the extra letter, but obviously things can and do change. The dictionary in my bookcase does not include the pronunciation (or the word 'muggle') - guess I need a new dictionary!

I recently offended some people by mistake, in having issue with the Junie B. books. The grammar issues in Junie's speech are meant to help show her youthful self, but I forgot that grammar mistakes would show up in her inner dialogue. I had thought that it was teaching young readers, through modeling, incorrect grammar. But if we don't expect people or books to be models to learn from (except teachers who we'd better test, and educational texts, when schools can afford them) I guess we can ignore grammar or pronunciation and accept differences for their entertainment value. (yes, teacher speaking)

It sure would be easier to use "they" as explained above!

The flexibility of our language is a plus - so we have to know when to accept "new" usage, whether in grammar or dialogue, and when to keep our pet peeves to ourselves.

Posts: 465 | Registered: Aug 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
RillSoji
Member # 1920

- posted      Profile for RillSoji   Email RillSoji         Edit/Delete Post 
Then why does our President continue to say "nucular" when he should be saying "nuclear?"

Because he's from Texas

Posts: 125 | Registered: Feb 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Alias
Member # 1645

- posted      Profile for Alias           Edit/Delete Post 
I hate hearing, "I could care less," when people are trying to expression apathy for a subject.

What they mean is, "I couldn't care less," I pressume.

Posts: 295 | Registered: May 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Kolona
Member # 1438

- posted      Profile for Kolona   Email Kolona         Edit/Delete Post 
And how about 'pant leg?' A pant is the leg of an item of clothing, hence 'a pair of pants,' yet 'pant' isn't in the dictionary, at least not as having anything to do with pants as in trousers. 'Pants' is there, but only in the plural, and there's no singular 'trouser,' either. But 'pant leg' -- and 'trouser leg' for that matter -- is redundant.
Posts: 1810 | Registered: Jun 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
Balthasar
Member # 5399

- posted      Profile for Balthasar   Email Balthasar         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, now, I'm from Texas! We don't all talk like that down here.
Posts: 130 | Registered: Apr 2007  | Report this post to a Moderator
teddyrux
Member # 1595

- posted      Profile for teddyrux           Edit/Delete Post 
I can't believe that a political topic managed to stay in here for so long, because that is clearly what was intended with the original post. I personally find it offensive when people make fun of the way others talk. If the post was about a German talking about Vesterns or a Yankee (someone from New England) talking about cahs, or an oriental and flied lice, most people in here would have a fit.

Just my humble opinion.
Rux

Posts: 198 | Registered: Feb 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
James Maxey
Member # 1335

- posted      Profile for James Maxey   Email James Maxey         Edit/Delete Post 
Jimmy Carter was another president who said "nucular," and he'd worked on a nuclear sub. I honestly can't say I've lost any sleep over it.

The "begs the question" misusage is something that used to drive me crazy. I would say I hear it used in the sense of "leads us to the question" far more than the correct usage of using the conclusion of your argument as a premise of your argument. To say that we know the existence of God because the Bible tells us he exists, and the Bible is and undisputable source because God wrote it, is an example of begging the question.

But, as I've mellowed over the years, I've learned to relax about people using words and phrases "wrong." English, especially spoken English, doesn't have some infallable judge lording over it enforcing its rules. It's a consenses language. If 95% of people use begging the question to mean what it sounds like it means, i.e. leads us to ask the question, then that's what it means. I personally won't use the construction this way, but I long ago stopped correcting people when they used it. I only came off as a jerk and a snob when I flashed my language cop badge.

However, returning once again to the no child left behind topic that started this, I do think we have the absolute right to force our children to adhere to strict rules of grammer and pronounciation. I would say if you are under 18 and use the word "nucular," teachers should have the right to zap you with a cattle prod.

And if a child misuses "begging the question," I say he should be slapped with a herring.

--James

Posts: 252 | Registered: Dec 2001  | Report this post to a Moderator
glogpro
Member # 1745

James,

I think you are wrong about Carter. I made a careful study of his pronunciation when he was president, and I am quite sure he said nooky-er (as in, my bombs are nooky-er than yours are.)

And just for the record, the original post was not a matter of politics at all. I am in fact curious about my own ambivalence on this issue. On the one hand, as a tried and true situational ethicist, cultural relativist, and secular humanist, I rebel against the tyranny of arbitrary and meaningless rules of usage. Moreover, as a card carrying member of the professoriat, I know well the historical futility of trying to constrain the evolution of language. On the other hand, it simply sounds WRONG to say nuculus. This is not just a matter of regional variations in pronunciation. The word is nuclear. Look at how it is spelled. It comes from the word nucleus. Saying Nucular isn't a matter of contraction for rapid or relaxed speech, and it isn't a matter of bending vowels due to regional pronunciation patterns. I am not sure where it comes from, but my bet is on the origin being carelessness and error. Still, people will talk the way they want, I suppose.

JBShearer
Member # 9434

- posted      Profile for JBShearer   Email JBShearer         Edit/Delete Post 
I think you meant "precedent", not "president."
Posts: 12 | Registered: Feb 2011  | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

I'm with glogpro on not interpreting this as some kind of partisan issue. After all, his first example was one of Gandalf's usages...and I think we can all agree that Gandalf is above partisan politics

As has been pointed out, "nucular" is accepted. I personally find it easier to say nuclear, and I wouldn't ever say what Carter is reported to have said...it sounds a little obscene. More than a little.

But my original point is and remains that while I may chuckle quietly at odd or even technically incorrect usages, I laugh out loud at people that complain about imprecise use of the language when they haven't nailed it down themselves! Not harsh or mocking laughter, of course.

But you have to admit, when someone is pointing out various little errors in another's usage, it would seem incumbent on the critic to be clear of such errors.

As for the question about Bush's motives, I think that Bush does it to remind people of how petty his enemies are...getting riled over the pronunciation of a word. Whether or not his enemies really are so petty doesn't matter, politically, it works to his advantage to make them seem so. And he gets to do it every time he discusses anything important.

Honestly speaking, I think that some of his political opponents actually were the fools that handed him that weapon by attacking him as a 'cowboy' in the first place. And some people continue to get pulled into arguments that make them look like...well, like they think that national policy should be decided on the basis of how we pronounce the word "nuclear". So I would say that his strategy is working to that extent.

Nobody ever said that he wasn't a smart guy...except some people that clearly aren't very clued in themselves.

Doc Brown
Member # 1118

- posted      Profile for Doc Brown   Email Doc Brown         Edit/Delete Post 
The following is not political:

Every time I hear President Bush say "nucular" I picture Slim Pickens in Doctor Strangelove. He pronounced it with the same Texas accent.

Posts: 976 | Registered: May 2001  | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 1512

- posted      Profile for Jon Boy   Email Jon Boy         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Go back from whence you came
(should be go back whence you came -- whence means "from where")

Survivor was right. It's just a little redundant, but otherwise harmless. It's like saying "sit down" instead of "sit."
quote:
Using 'data' as if it were a singular noun
In Latin, it was plural. In English, it has become a non-count (singular) noun. Words change when they get borrowed. Many, many Latin borrowings have changed a lot more than that.
quote:
This one's interesting. Technically, it is incorrect. The problem is that English lacks an indefinite personal pronoun, so we have to make do with they. It's been found in print for at least five hundred years, and it was probably been used quite a while before that. All of the alternatives are unappealing. He is sexist. He or she or he/she is clunky. One is stuffy. I think it'd be nice if we finally accepted it as a real indefinite pronoun and stopped worrying about it. Logic may tell us that it's plural, but common sense tells us that it's used as a singular pronoun all the time.
quote:
Then why does our President continue to say "nucular" when he should be saying "nuclear?" Why do his handlers implicitly accept this usage as correct etc? Does this bother anyone but me?
This is a process called metathesis, and it has happened repeatedly throughout history. Liquid consonants (l and r) tend to move around in an attempt to simplify pronunciation. There's also a tendency to make words sound like other words. Nuclear is one of only a few words in English that end with the clee-ur sound, while there are probably hundreds that end with cular, so there's a tendency to make the oddballs conform to the more regular pattern.

So why doesn't anyone correct President Bush? Changing one's dialect is a difficult thing to do, and in doing so, you lose part of your identity. The professor for my modern American usage class pronounced nuclear as nucular, too, and he knows more about usage than anyone I've ever met. He knew it was wrong, but he saw no reason to change it. It was part of who he was, and he was alright with it.

Posts: 83 | Registered: Sep 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

I prefer 'nu-cle-ar', but I accept that your professor is a man secure in his own usages...just like Slim Pickens
glogpro
Member # 1745

Last night I was up longer than is my custom, and watched Letterman. It was actually a repeat of some show from February. Letterman did a bit about Bush's pronunciation of nucular. While remaining politically neutral for this discussion, I have to say that Letterman's bit did come off as snide, mean spirited, and juvenile (sort of on the level of a playground taunt "nyah nyah nyah"). Anyway, to anyone who was familiar with that Letterman bit after it first aired, I just want to make it clear that I was unaware of it when I initiated this thread.

Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
Speaking of usage pet peeves, what about "nauseous" being used to mean "nauseated"?
Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

That one might actually pass muster, if you consider that once someone becomes nauseated, there is a good chance of becoming nauseous...or producing something nauseous, at any rate
Jon Boy
Member # 1512

It took me the longest time to get those two straight. I even remember my seventh-grade teacher telling me that nauseous wasn't even a word. Of course, it seems that almost no one makes the distinction anymore:
quote:
Main Entry: nau·seous
Pronunciation: 'no-sh&s, 'no-zE-&s
Function: adjective
1 : causing nausea or disgust : NAUSEATING
2 : affected with nausea or disgust
- nau·seous·ly adverb
- nau·seous·ness noun
usage Those who insist that nauseous can properly be used only in sense 1 and that in sense 2 it is an error for nauseated are mistaken. Current evidence shows these facts: nauseous is most frequently used to mean physically affected with nausea, usually after a linking verb such as feel or become; figurative use is quite a bit less frequent. Use of nauseous in sense 1 is much more often figurative than literal, and this use appears to be losing ground to nauseating. Nauseated is used more widely than nauseous in sense 2.

[This message has been edited by Jon Boy (edited March 14, 2004).]

Lilamrta
Member # 557

- posted      Profile for Lilamrta   Email Lilamrta         Edit/Delete Post 
I love those words that stop looking like real words after a while. Nauseous. Circuit. Lunch. It happens to me all the time while reading textbooks or doing graphic design.

I think that the thing that bugs me the most is sentences liberally seasoned with swearing and slang. A while ago, when my little brother started using the word "phat" I flipped out. I don't bother him about I/me or who/whom but I can't stand that outright slaughter of the language. "Dawg." [shudder]

Lila

Posts: 239 | Registered: Jun 2000  | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

But as long as he uses it correctly (Dat is phat!), is there really such a problem?

wetwilly
Member # 1818

Some call it slaughter of language, I call it evolution of language. Language would be extremely dry and boring if we could never use any slang. By the way, "flipped out" is most definitely slang.

For real, dude, you need to chill.

One thing that drives me nuts is when people use internet slang in non-internet conversation. TTYL, BRB, LOL, etc. How freaking retarded is that?

The answer is super freaking retarded.

pickled shuttlecock
Member # 1714

imho the language is fubared lol...afaik tho you cant rtfm cuz there isnt 1.....ianalinguist but imo its still np...otoh its a major pita rofl
Jon Boy
Member # 1512

*head explodes*
JBShearer
Member # 9434

- posted      Profile for JBShearer   Email JBShearer         Edit/Delete Post 
I think what is being referred to is descriptive grammer. There are basically two schools of grammer:

1. The prescriptivist- identifies a correct grammer, one that they believe should be followed to the letter, i.e. Proper grammer is set in stone and changes little with time. A good example would be your average college english teacher.

2. The descriptivist- realizes that regional and global colloquialisms exist which render fluid changes in a language, i.e. correct usage is correct inasmuch as it is used and commonly agreed on. A good example would be many authors and liberal literature departments.

Yes, 'new-kyu-ler' is listed as a pronunciation of nuclear, but it is a colloquial documentation of usage. It IS NOT proper (in a proscriptivist sense). Hey, the argument for the two schools of thought has been going on for hundreds of years, and whatever system you proscribe to, you have to understand both to write effectively. Except in strict literary works, you will have to use "common speach", and to be taken seriously you'll have to twist some pretty wicked grammer.

It's all a matter of balance and perspective.

Posts: 12 | Registered: Feb 2011  | Report this post to a Moderator
Jules
Member # 1658

np? wtf?
wetwilly
Member # 1818

Damn you all.
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
There really ought to be a glyph/smileyface for "head explodes."

I wonder if we can ask the UBB coders to come up with one, though I suppose might work.

[This message has been edited by Kathleen Dalton Woodbury (edited March 16, 2004).]

pickled shuttlecock
Member # 1714

I feel compelled to translate my previous post:

quote:
imho [in my humble opinion] the language is fubared [f***** up beyond all recognition] lol [laughing out loud]...afaik [as far as I know] tho you cant rtfm [read the f****** manual] cuz there isnt 1 [one].....ianalinguist [I am not a linguist - a play on ianal: I am not a lawyer] but imo [in my opinion] its still np [no problem]...otoh [on the other hand] its a major pita [pain in the a**] rofl [rolling on the floor, laughing]

See how much shorter it is to just use Internet slang? Therefore, it is superior. QED.

Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

Not only is it shorter, but you can feel superior to anyone who doesn't "get it."
Lilamrta
Member # 557

Oh, I have nothing against slang. I use plenty of it myself. And I certainly agree that language is a growing, evolving thing. It's much better that way. Who would want to be a writer if the language weren't so dynamic?

What I don't like is when people use slang or swear words -exclusively.- English is such a full, expressive language. There is a wealth of adjectives out there. Try out a new one.

I'm also driven nuts by spoken internet slang. (Mmm, passive voice... I use it far too much. Must be a side effect of writing papers for school.)

I used to get more annoyed by such things. I've been trying to relax. I have enough to worry about without getting upset about people's language.

Nexus Capacitor
Member # 1694

- posted      Profile for Nexus Capacitor   Email Nexus Capacitor         Edit/Delete Post 
Spoken internet slang? Do you go around saying things like "LOL" and "ROTFLMAO?" Um... not that there's anything wrong with that.
Posts: 144 | Registered: Jul 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 1738

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
Jon Boy, I totally agree on "they". I remember my AP English teacher ranting on "he or she as the case may be" which he had seen somewhere and never wanted to see again.

A spoken acronym that has always made me wonder is POW. Almost anything with a W takes more syllables to say as an acronym. And I think most people say /priz nr/ instead of /priz i nr/ (I don't know the code for schwa). So in that case it would be shorter. I guess acronyms just sound more martial.

We refer to Webster's, but Webster's is an American institution because it was the first dictionary based on the way Americans speak. It is a descriptive tool, not a proscriptive one.

It occurs to me that I don't know whether proscriptive or prescriptive is the right word.

Posts: 334 | Registered: Sep 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

prescriptive means making strict rules about something (so that's the right word here)

proscriptive means ostracizing, outlawing, prohibiting (which could be kind of close to making strict rules, hence the confusion--not to mention the potential for typos)

Jon Boy
Member # 1512

Hey, Pooka. *waves*

It's an interesting experience being an English language major with an editing minor. In my major, we look at things from a very descriptive viewpoint. In my minor, it's very prescriptive. It causes me all kinds of schizophrenia and angst.

sassenach
Member # 1725

- posted      Profile for sassenach   Email sassenach         Edit/Delete Post 
Pronounciation is very much a regional thing. In the SF Bay Area, the city of Concord is pronounced "conquered".

Posts: 21 | Registered: Aug 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Jules
Member # 1658

On the way to work this morning I spotted 4 missing apostrophes. Dogs Trust Kenilworth, according to one of the signs I saw. Another proclaimed a new housing development as "King Edwards Park" -- presumably they grow potatoes there.
Jon Boy
Member # 1512

I'm confused. Neither of those is missing an apostrophe (unless I'm misreading the first one).
AeroB1033
Member # 1956

- posted      Profile for AeroB1033   Email AeroB1033         Edit/Delete Post 
Hate to be on the anti-Bush side, but you can't use him being from Texas an excuse. I've lived here all of my life, and I have never once pronounced "nuclear" incorrectly (except perhaps to make fun of those who do, but nevermind that). Nor do I have a drawl, and I do not ride a horse to work. The roads I drive on are all paved, and I'd have to go pretty far out of my way to find one that isn't.

I occasionally encounter someone that speaks with a drawl, wears a cowboy hat, tight jeans, and boots. But this is a rare occurence, and most people speak and dress like typical Americans.

Of course, I live in the suburbs in Houston, but then much of the state's population lives in such cities.

Texans that live in rural areas, of course, do fit more with the cliches typically mentioned. But then, I'm sure that's true for most states, each in their own way.

So lay off Texas. Bush doesn't deserve any extra slack because he comes from here, and we don't deserve extra criticism for the same reason.

Posts: 233 | Registered: Mar 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Lilamrta
Member # 557

Central Florida certainly has its share of people in cowboy hats, tight jeans, and boots. I would expect the accent is different, but it's the same group of people. They're everywhere, in their various manifestations. I'm personally familiar with the North Carolina version, having lived there for almost six years. I think Texas gets picked on just because it's so big.
Jules
Member # 1658

Jon - they should be Dogs' Trust Kenilworth (i.e. a Trust, in Kenilworth, which belongs to the Dogs) and King Edward's Park (unless of course they really do want it to be about potatoes).

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.