Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Will tell you you're a genius for $9.95

Author Topic: Will tell you you're a genius for $9.95
Survivor
Member # 213

- posted      Profile for Survivor   Email Survivor         Edit/Delete Post 
As a wise person recently wrote,
quote:
I heard that there was a recent show called "Test the Nation" where they
did IQ tests of various groups eg: blonds, doctors, teachers... so I found
an IQ test page and guess what... I'm a genius. The real genius is the guy
who made the test to flatter your ego enough to make you consider
sending him $10 to get a full print-out, which I neither did, nor
recommend. But it was fun anyway. check it out.
www.iqtest.com

I did check it out, and took the test, and of course it said I'm a genius (this is what all IQ tests say, so that didn't make me suspicious--nor did the reported score of the aforementioned wise person, who is also a genius). But I checked out the sample profile (you have to pay to get your personalized profile) and noticed immediately that the sample profile was for a person with a score of 149.

quote:
Your General IQ Score of 149 shows how able your mind is in general. Anyone with a General IQ Score this high is considered to be a genius. Less than 2 out of every 100 persons would be expected to have a score this high.

italics added for emphasis

I'll make up a statistic for you...less than 2 percent of the people taking this test would be likely to pay for the complete profile if their raw scores (the only thing you get for free) were substantially below the score on the sample profile. Which means that if the sample profile is for a score of 149, the purveyors of this test expect most people to do better than that on their test.

Also, all the questions were really easy, even when they were phrased poorly so as to be ambiguous (The FAQ explains that this is because smarter people will interpret the question one way and less smart people will interpret it the other way...I think that a person smart enough to see both interpretations will deliberately choose to interpret it in the more "common" way, so this methodology is flawed, besides being circular). So I would question whether many people literate enough to navigate to the page and understand how to use a form would do really poorly.

Anyway, thinking about this test, and the genius of those who marketed it, I am reminded of a scene from a recent bestseller, The DaVinci Code (or something like that), which I overheard (it was an audiobook) as I was feeding my mom's fish.

The scene was pretty much defined by the moment at which one of the various "scholars" sitting around and trying to decipher some mystery or other proceeds to prove he is a master of ancient languages by reciting the Hebrew Aleph-Beth...from memory! The author makes much of the level of genius required to master such a mental feat. Of course, during the entire scene I was laughing out loud at the idea that these were supposed to be serious scholars of anything, let alone ancient languages. That moment merely crystalized the entire tone of the text being read.

Thinking about it, I wonder....

Is there any room in the marketplace for genuinely intelligent characters? It always bugs me when a character who is supposed to be really intelligent and highly educated acts particularly stupid and obtuse. I usually blame it on one of two things, either the author being ignorant or the author forcing the plot at the expense of realism. But I wonder if I should blame it on a third thing, the demand of the marketplace for characters that are only slightly above average, but within the world of the story are heroic, not just in intellect but in virtue, charm, lifestyle....

Of course this also explains why the villains have to engage in epic stupidities in order to allow the heroes to win. It isn't because the authors couldn't think of a clever rather than obvious way for the hero to win, but because it has to be fairly obvious to the average reader.

All this is very well and good, but I wonder...is it really so well and good? Isn't selling a dishonest IQ test bad? And is selling people on the idea that great people are only circumstantially different from mediocrities really such a good thing either?

P.S. The site also has some consciousness raising exercises...I liked the following.

quote:
Choice one: In this life, you are the absolute ruler of the whole world. You are a young, wise, sexy, 134 IQed, PhDed, devout and charismatic leader with the body of a gymnast.

Hmmmm...absolute ruler of the entire world sounds great, but I'd have to make do with less intellectual and physical ability than I now possess?

Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  | Report this post to a Moderator
punahougirl84
Member # 1731

- posted      Profile for punahougirl84   Email punahougirl84         Edit/Delete Post 
Ha! Me too - guess I need to do something to earn my Nobel Prize now that I know I deserve one and my genius just hasn't been recognized yet (what, I have to show off???)... and that was taking the test at 11:30pm, exhausted...

Thanks for the diversion.

I think true super-genius types might be more narrow in their thinking (perhaps their genius is in some areas but not others?) depending on the subject, so they can be human and miss something. A smart person could be over-zealous in their efforts and miss something... guess a protagonist can make mistakes, just not stupid obvious ones that, as you say, an intelligent person would not make.

Of course, I would never make mistakes... (oops, you read my story - never mind!)

Posts: 465 | Registered: Aug 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Kolona
Member # 1438

- posted      Profile for Kolona   Email Kolona         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
And is selling people on the idea that great people are only circumstantially different from mediocrities really such a good thing either?

I vote no. Unfortunately, I think it's all part of the politics of envy thing -- that success is only a result of luck and/or underhanded shenanigans, not the result of preparation and hard work. I think it's perceived that a portion of the reading public which thinks that way would feel put off by characters smarter than they are.

In Character and Viewpoint, OSC mentioned not having your characters too intelligent, although clever is okay. That bugged me. Seemed to pander to the Bart Simpson's 'underachiever and proud of it' mindset.

OSC mentions Indiana Jones -- clever outside the university, but bumbling professor inside. Personally, I'd have found Jones much more appealing had he left off the bumbling part. Intelligence is so much more attractive.

I think of Dagny Taggart in Atlas Shrugged as an intelligent character. I'm sure there are others.

Posts: 1810 | Registered: Jun 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
Pyre Dynasty
Member # 1947

- posted      Profile for Pyre Dynasty   Email Pyre Dynasty         Edit/Delete Post 
Ten bucks?! heck I'll do it for free. You are a genius. (Now give me ten bucks)
As for the intelligence thing, he's one to talk since Ender is probably his most known character. But I agree with him that char's shouldn't be too smart. If they were they could just fix everything with no problem.
Of course though the difference between Intelligent and Clever is purely semantical. Some would put Clever over intelligent.

Posts: 1895 | Registered: Mar 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

Actually, Ender's Game is one of those mysterious phenomena that make me wonder what intelligence really is.

Card might know more about tactics and strategy than would be expected of a bright six or even ten year old, but if you read Ender's Game, he somehow hits on the fundamental principle of superior commanders, nurturing and rewarding intelligent initiative in subordinates. Most military "experts" still don't get this idea, even though it has been the secret of every winning commander in history, and every commander that forgot it turned into a loser no matter how glorious his previous achievements. And yet Card has never made any special claim to military acumen...possibly because our culture tends to emphasize the domineering "you don't get paid to think" leader who is the very antithesis of effective command.

As for smart heroes getting things done too easily, I'm also in favor of actually smart villains. Partly because I don't buy into all that "only mentally ill people can be evil" crap. That may be true of your stock villain that any sane and modestly intelligent person could defeat in about ten seconds, but real world villains are usually just evil rather than insane.

Lord Darkstorm
Member # 1610

- posted      Profile for Lord Darkstorm   Email Lord Darkstorm         Edit/Delete Post 
I have to say I hate it when a character is portrayed as an intellegent individual, but then fails to act as one. I know that Startgate SG1 came up with thier replacement scientest for the 6th season. This guy was supposed to be intellegent, but his character on the show did not imply any sense at all. Everything he said was a vain attempt at hummor, and only rarely did he come up with anything that was usefull.

I haven't run across this in books as much as it happens in television shows. I guess that is why I am more and more loosing most interest in the tv.

I think that if your main character is going to be a genius, then you will have to work hard to make them someone that can be related to. I think OSC's point in making characters overly intellegent has to do with the reader being able to relate to the character. If the character is so much smarter than everyone else and is written that way, most readers could feel either intimidated or to distant from the character to care about them. The villan can be a genius with no problem, we want the reader to dislike them.

LDS

Posts: 807 | Registered: Mar 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Hildy9595
Member # 1489

- posted      Profile for Hildy9595   Email Hildy9595         Edit/Delete Post 
Okay, Survivor, you've piqued my curiosity...was that scene in the Da Vinci Code in which the "scholar" repeated the Aleph-Bet by heart supposed to be funny, or do you think it was meant to be a serious example of advanced intellect? I haven't read the book, but if this part was meant seriously, then I say, "bwah!" Hebrew is still spoken today, for pity's sake...I know five year olds who can recite its alphabet by heart. In fact, I TEACH five year olds to recite it by heart. So if this scene was serious in intent, then I'd say it was a great example of how not to showcase a character's brilliance.

Posts: 338 | Registered: Aug 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
danquixote
Member # 1949

- posted      Profile for danquixote           Edit/Delete Post 
Hi, I'm new to this board, and I've enjoyed lurking for a couple of weeks. I recently graduated w/ a degree in English - Creative Writing fr. the U of Houston, and am preparing to pursue a teaching certificate in HS English - with writing being my ultimate goal. (kay - nuff abt me).

On genius (or lack thereof) in novels.

I belive the danger with trying to make characters too intelligent is that it's incredibly difficult to create a believable character who's smarter than the author. It can be done with careful research (and feedback from real geniuses), but to convince genius readers that your character is one of them - that's hard to do for those of us who possess average intelligence.

Better for us to stick with characters we can portray convincingly - or to conduct some serious research beforehand.

I've read Dan Brown's Da Vinci Code. In all, it's one of the best (read most entertaining and thought provoking) books I've read in years. It does have some flaws, though it is brilliant in its way.

About the scene in question and writing genius: Brown is a teacher himself. But his characters are a Harvard professor in Symbology, another professor of (I can't remember, exactly, but his specialty is the Grail legends - medieval lit., maybe?), and a Cryptologist working for the French government. They are three high-caliber characters, and I think the scene you're refering to is simply a moment of less-than-perfect research.

Posts: 47 | Registered: Mar 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
danquixote
Member # 1949

- posted      Profile for danquixote           Edit/Delete Post 
that last line should be

"less than perfect preparation."

Sorry

Posts: 47 | Registered: Mar 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Kolona
Member # 1438

quote:
the fundamental principle of superior commanders, nurturing and rewarding intelligent initiative in subordinates.

If only the corporate world would get that right.

Seems to me there is intelligence with obnoxious personality attached, and intelligence with likeable personality, just as there is ignorance, even stupidity, with each type of personality.

Looking more closely at Indiana Jones, he had to be intelligent, given his professorship and knowledge in his field; the bumbling really was a different aspect of his personality, like the (real?) absent-mindedness of Einstein.

quote:
But I agree with him that char's shouldn't be too smart. If they were they could just fix everything with no problem.

Intelligence has its limitations, its bumps in the road, and carries no guarantees. It takes time and effort to get through problems. Didn't Edison go through thousands of failures before the bulb lit? Looking at the combined intelligence in organizations like NASA (an intelligent entity could be considered a grander scale of a single intelligence), and there is still room for drama with no guarantee of success. Not to mention the human emotional element.

And even intelligent people aren't perfect. They have their moments. They also have areas of greater and lesser expertise. And they, as anyone, are subject to emotional short-circuiting.

The problem might be authors writing intelligent characters as mental supermen instead of human beings with greater than average intelligence.

Kolona
Member # 1438

Hello to you, danquixote, newly arrived from the ranks of the lurkers.

Are we possibly talking of somewhat different things -- genuinely intelligent characters vs geniuses?

punahougirl84
Member # 1731

- posted      Profile for punahougirl84   Email punahougirl84         Edit/Delete Post 
Actually, LDS and Kolona are hitting a nail on the head, though in different terms.

Just because your character is SMART (however smart you want them to be), doesn't mean s/he has COMMON SENSE. I know I heard that enough from my parents - I don't use my sense, or that I don't THINK! Preparation and timing play a role too. Book sense/knowledge vs. street sense/knowledge can play a role, and when you have a character from each side work together, the combination can be both annoying and electric.

I don't think an intelligent character is a put-off - I think a smart-ass or know-it-all types turn readers off; such types are often found to be villainss (let me tell you my plan before I kill you - oops, you got away), or the irritating characters protagonists must put up with to win the day.

Heinlein certainly wrote some irritating characters of this sort, but also some smart ones that mess up - you like them and believe them because of their humanity. Or maybe they show off their smarts, but it is to argue a point - sometimes that works for me, and sometimes it doesn't. So I would add attitude to the mix.

Also, sometimes intelligent characters are not the creative ones (maybe that is cleverness, maybe not). So again, a combination of characters of different types works as they pool their talents to solve whatever. If a character has it ALL, you don't have much of a story because as some one said, they could just fix it all. Your character needs some weaknesses or flaws. So I think a character can be very intelligent - just write it right.

I personally liked Indiana Jones as played - I didn't see him as bumbling (though I see why he was thought of that way and why it could be off-putting) - just more interested and involved in his adventuring and in making acquisitions than his teaching. And since so many of his students were moon-eyed girls, they didn't treat him as a professor so much as an idol of fantasy - that surely put him off. He couldn't exactly share what he was doing with his students. He had flaws which made him accessible - his dad sure put him in his place a few times. I think also that the smart character is often a character with lots of inner thought processes going on, so they don't have social graces sometimes (hence the 'bumble' effect, or is it the 'nerd' effect?).

I think I might have trouble writing a super-intelligent character simply because I myself may not have what it takes to do so. I also don't think of myself as clever, and suspect it will take me eons to write clever plots and twists and endings... but maybe that means my characters will be acceptible?

Posts: 465 | Registered: Aug 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
it's incredibly difficult to create a believable character who's smarter than the author. It can be done with careful research (and feedback from real geniuses), but to convince genius readers that your character is one of them - that's hard to do for those of us who possess average intelligence.

This is pretty much how OSC does it. An author with average intelligence can certainly write convincing characters that are more intelligent than the author by taking advantage of two things: more intelligent critiquers, and time.

Since a story does not have to be written as fast as it is likely to be read, an author with average intelligence can take the time to figure out things that a more intelligent character will figure out in a snap.

So you can make your characters look smarter than you because you can have them gain insights more quickly than you would, and you can have them think up possible solutions to problems faster than you would.

And so on. Use wise/intelligent readers and critiquers and take your time.

Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  | Report this post to a Moderator
Kickle
Member # 1934

- posted      Profile for Kickle   Email Kickle         Edit/Delete Post 
Any of you read Oryx and Crake by Margaret Atwood ? To me all the main characters( Snowman, Oryx and Crake) are intelligent, perhaps even geniuses in their own ways. I enjoyed the story because of the way it plays intelligence against survival skills . In real life is it the true geniuses that succeed , the person of average intelligence combined with common sense or the guy who invents a test for $ 9.95 and doesn't mind ripping people off?
Posts: 397 | Registered: Mar 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 1512

- posted      Profile for Jon Boy   Email Jon Boy         Edit/Delete Post 
So if you score 155 or above on the test, do they just send you a Nobel Prize in the mail or something?
Posts: 83 | Registered: Sep 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
You probably have to send them $99.95 for that, Jon Boy.
Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 1512

But is it a real Nobel Prize?
teddyrux
Member # 1595

- posted      Profile for teddyrux           Edit/Delete Post 
My middle name is Nobel and I'll send you a genuine Nobel Prize for NOT $99.99 or even $89.99, but the low, low price of $49.99.
Just email me your Paypal information.

{Legal disclaimer: do not send me your Paypal info;}

Posts: 198 | Registered: Feb 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Brinestone
Member # 747

- posted      Profile for Brinestone   Email Brinestone         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I never got my results mailed to me. Either that means I'm a phrequin' idiot and they're just sparing my feelings or it's like my husband said—I broke the test because it doesn't know what to do with infinite intellect.
Posts: 814 | Registered: Nov 2000  | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 1512

That's right—I may be a Nobel Prize winner, but my wife is infinitely intelligent. We're gonna have some smart kids.
Survivor
Member # 213

quote:
...was that scene in the Da Vinci Code in which the "scholar" repeated the Aleph-Bet by heart supposed to be funny, or do you think it was meant to be a serious example of advanced intellect?

I don't know if it was supposed to be funny, I sure found it hilarious, but that was the only scene I overheard. But I guess DQ already answered the question well enough for me.

quote:
Brown is a teacher himself. But his characters are a Harvard professor in Symbology, another professor of (I can't remember, exactly, but his specialty is the Grail legends - medieval lit., maybe?), and a Cryptologist working for the French government. They are three high-caliber characters, and I think the scene you're refering to is simply a moment of less-than-perfect research.

On another tangent,

quote:
In real life is it the true geniuses that succeed , the person of average intelligence combined with common sense or the guy who invents a test for $ 9.95 and doesn't mind ripping people off?

I suppose that depends on what we mean by "real life" and "succeed" (and "true genius"). How do we define intelligence? I define it as the ability to adaptively predict the future based on prior experience. Basically, using induction to generalize ideas of what has happened, then deduction to accurately infer what will happen. If by "success" we mean successful adaptation to novel situations, then--pretty much by definition--the most genuinely intelligent will succeed more often than anyone else.

If we define success by some arbitrary criterion such as number of grandchildren, amount of theoretical currency instruments gained in a transient economy (Ultima Online Gil or US dollars, take your pick), or perhaps some measure of self-satisfaction and complacency about things in general (measured with electrodes on the scalp, don't you know), then I would guess that intelligence would have almost nothing to do with success...it would depend far more on a) whether a person was at all interested in pursuing that measure of success and b) luck.

Survival skills are worse than useless without some pretty hefty intelligence backing them up...all having survival skills means is that you'll tend to survive in a given environment. Worse yet, if your survival skills are adaptive but not predictive, then you can be trained by a person that gains even modest control over your environment...like the huckster selling high IQs. But that's just my opinion. I belong to the group of cyberneticists that want to teach computers not just how to play chess, but to decide whether or not they want to play chess or some other game.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.