Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Just Wonderin'

Author Topic: Just Wonderin'
cvgurau
Member # 1345

- posted      Profile for cvgurau   Email cvgurau         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm working on a novel that is going as smoothly as it's ever gone before. This, I think, is due in large part to the fact that I outlined the whole before I started writing, but that's not the point. See, as I go along, I'm tempted to add characters and events from previous novels that didn't pan out. I like the characters immensely, but I don't think there's enough to them to write even a novella, let alone an 80-90,000-word novel. So I want to add them to this current work in progress, but the novel's just getting bigger and bigger.

Getting to the question...does size really matter?

I remember someone saying (OSC, I think, but don't quote me) that a first novel should be around 70-90,000 words long, but can be longer, if you do it right.

Is a publisher more likely to reject a first novel if it's too long? Are they more likely to accept a shorter first work? Can a novel really be too big?

In conclusion...just wonderin'.

CVG

(edited to add

I was hoping y'all can clear something up for me. I've been looking, but I haven't been able to find anything on a midieval-type monarchy. So, from most powerful to least: king, baron, lord, soldier (and thusly any peacekeepers) and peasant?

[This message has been edited by cvgurau (edited March 29, 2004).]

Posts: 552 | Registered: Jan 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
Rahl22
Member # 1411

- posted      Profile for Rahl22   Email Rahl22         Edit/Delete Post 
Another deadhorse! We've got quite a herd on the board.

There are very real and practical reasons why it's easier to sell a first book if it follows certain rules. Shawn has been a huge advocate of this throughout the years

From cost to produce to amount of shelfspace it takes for large books, it's not a good idea. Of course there are counter-examples.. but who wants to swim against the current? Publish a couple books, then put out those huge tomes -- or, roll the dice.

Posts: 1621 | Registered: Apr 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
teddyrux
Member # 1595

- posted      Profile for teddyrux           Edit/Delete Post 
I think that most first novels are in the 80-90k range for a specific reason. Inexperience. The more you write, especially successfully, the more you're able to put into a story. Thus making it longer. Just my opinion. There is a business aspect to it also.

Rux
:}

Posts: 198 | Registered: Feb 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Inkwell
Member # 1944

- posted      Profile for Inkwell   Email Inkwell         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Posted by Cvgurau:
I was hoping y'all can clear something up for me. I've been looking, but I haven't been able to find anything on a midieval-type monarchy. So, from most powerful to least: king, baron, lord, soldier (and thusly any peacekeepers) and peasant?

I think the common medieval class structure is:

-Monarch(s)
-Lords (Barons)
-Clergy
-Knights
-Merchants
-Men-At-Arms (and Yeomanry)
-Peasants (Serfs)

Check me on that, please...it's been a while since I learned the whole deal. Hope this might be of some help (if it's even remotely correct). As I've not published a novel yet, I don't feel qualified to give you advice on the subject of length. As for the more technical matters...hopefully it'll make your task a bit easier. Good luck!

Inkwell
------------------
"The difference between a writer and someone who says they want to write is merely the width of a postage stamp."
-Anonymous

Posts: 366 | Registered: Mar 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
punahougirl84
Member # 1731

- posted      Profile for punahougirl84   Email punahougirl84         Edit/Delete Post 
Did a google - combined some info - I love the last four...

God
Pope
King
Duke
Marquis
Earl (for British noblemen)/Count (for other European nobles)
Viscount
Baron
Baronet
Knight
Squires
Tradesmen/Free Peasants
Serfs
animals
birds
amphibians
insects

[This message has been edited by punahougirl84 (edited March 29, 2004).]

Posts: 465 | Registered: Aug 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
yanos
Member # 1831

- posted      Profile for yanos   Email yanos         Edit/Delete Post 
Even in medieval society there were of course freemen or freeholders, who were beholden to their lords for taxes but nothing else. Of course there were also Squires who ranked below knights.
Posts: 575 | Registered: Dec 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Simon
Member # 8352

- posted      Profile for Simon           Edit/Delete Post 
The well-kept secret about first novels: if it's a Great novel, it will sell, no matter how many pages, no matter how many "rules" it breaks. Yeah, you want to keep enough to get it read, but if it's Great, it's Great. People will read it.

What worries me more is that your tome will feel too packed with characters who aren't necessary for it and events that don't really advance the plot. If your novel needs all that to be what it needs to be, then its length will give it strength.

If you're including all that just to make yourself feel better about never finishing the stories they were meant for in the first place, cut them all now. They will make your story feel drawn out and disorganized. As Stephen King advised, murder your darlings.

Posts: 2 | Registered: Dec 2008  | Report this post to a Moderator
srhowen
Member # 462

- posted      Profile for srhowen   Email srhowen         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
The well-kept secret about first novels: if it's a Great novel, it will sell, no matter how many pages, no matter how many "rules" it breaks. Yeah, you want to keep enough to get it read, but if it's Great, it's Great. People will read it.

Not so--sorry. I do not agree. So many writers live by this--the rules don't matter etc., but they do matter esp on a first book. YES, you can find an exception to every rule--but the odds are already against you--so why stack the deck even further against you?

There are some unspoken rules and some well kept secrets but the hey break the rules and if it's good it will sell one is BS.

We've beat this horse to death--it isn't getting up and walking again.

Look up the February issue of writer's digest--I think for 2002 or 2001. There is an wonderful article in there on first novels and what it takes to break in. Everything from chapter length, book length to number f scenes and plot threads that will make you book more likely to sell.

Case study--myself.

Sent to publisher--300,000 some word novel, received rejection. Why? Letter stated that if i were to break the book not three and resend they would have another look.

Nuts, I screamed --I don't care if this breaks the rules! It is good. It will sell because it is a well kept secret that good writing sells even if it breaks all the rules.

Book 2--sent to same publisher as they said keep us in mind for future works. Length 190,000 words. Publisher says, love the plot and the idea, the writing is alive with detail that draw the reader in, but alas it is too long for our needs and I feel that it will not pass by the marketing department. (they asked about that other book even a year later.)(yes sent to same editor)

What the heck? Good writing sells, and hey this one was only twice the length needed.

Sent third book, 250,000 words--again same editor took the time to personally respond. Urgh!

Wrote 2 more books, found that article and said--OK, I have this idea what if I write is tailored to the "rules" for first novels? Hmm--4 months later i had that novel, 3 months after that I had an agent.

And now--well the book sits on the desk of above editor--requested from my agent for consideration.

Length-120,000 words (it was 90,00 when I sent it to my agent.)

So by following the rules for first novels i have gotten an agent and have a big name publisher actually considering the book. (5 still looking at this point)

Shrug--one thing this many years on these boards and others has taught me--writers only believe what fits with their idea of what is. If you have reached the point where you have stacks of rejections and are ready to say OK let me try this--then this will make sense, if not you will say that Shawn she is so full of poop--and go on thinking whatever you want.

LOL

I can only offer the same advice--get the back issue--and read the article. I'll see if I have it around ( to let you know which one for sure--I know Feb but not the year anymore) but I recently got new office stuff so did a lot of culling.

Shawn (oh so tired of beating the dead horse or hitting my head on a brick wall--or maybe it was the 10 hr shift I worked today)

Posts: 1019 | Registered: Apr 2000  | Report this post to a Moderator
Balthasar
Member # 5399

- posted      Profile for Balthasar   Email Balthasar         Edit/Delete Post 
CVG -

Two pieces of advice.

First, listen to Shawn. She knows what she's talking about.

Second, what you do with these new ideas really must be determined from your philosophy about writing. Should you, as Jon Hassler does, throw everything you have into a novel? Or should you, as Holly Lisle, does, refrain from doing so because in order to be a professional writer you have to write a lot of books which means you have to have a lot of ideas?

Posts: 130 | Registered: Apr 2007  | Report this post to a Moderator
srhowen
Member # 462

OK, I will state the formula again based on the article and keep in mind that some of this will change once you land an agent or publisher or even in rewrites--)--for a first book the word count should be (recommended) between 70,000-- 90,000 words. Closer to the 70,000 mark is better. Think in terms of about 2,500 words per chapter and 3 to 4 scenes per chapter. Does that move fast? You bet it does. The article is by William Hutchenson and can be found in the February 2001 issue of Writers Digest Magazine---10 steps to planning your second draft.

I can not find the issue, but I remembered when I first posted about this and went and looked it up.

Shawn

[This message has been edited by srhowen (edited March 30, 2004).]

Jules
Member # 1658

- posted      Profile for Jules   Email Jules         Edit/Delete Post 
Presumably those counts are estimated words, not actual ones, so actual word count would be about 10-15% less, depending on your writing style (?)

I'm currently wondering about the project I'm working on right now. I originally intended it to be a trilogy, but now I'm working on it, I think its going to come out a bit short (the 3 books would probably be something like 70k, 50k and 80k respectively). But it'll also probably be a bit too long for a single volume, by the sounds of things.

Perhaps its time for a new subplot for that middle volume...

Posts: 626 | Registered: Jun 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
reid
Member # 1425

- posted      Profile for reid           Edit/Delete Post 
Aren't people buying longer books these days or does that only apply to established authors? 70 - 90 K words would be about 250 - 300 pages, right? It seems like most people wouldn't want spend the money for such a short experience.

Brian

Posts: 63 | Registered: May 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
Christine
Member # 1646

- posted      Profile for Christine   Email Christine         Edit/Delete Post 
I've heart estimates of about 100k rather than the low estimates. I know we've had this discussion before, I just can't remember if we decided anything and I don't care to look back. scifi/fantasy readers in particular want bang for their buck. I've noticed that in this genre, books have been getting steadily longer. Now we've got the obnoxiously long epic fantasies. Now, for a first time author, I wouldn't recommend shooting for that length, but I still see a 70k word book as not worth the money as a reader.
Posts: 3567 | Registered: May 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
srhowen
Member # 462

umm, did you see the part about my story? It came in at 90,000 words when I sent it to my agent. After 9 months of rewrites, etc., it is now 120,000 some words. (and I am sure there will be changes with the publisher)(DAW and TOR are among those who have it in the consideration mode)

I am talking about what will sell--to the publisher or to the agent. Don't fool yourself into thinking what you send is what is going to end up on the shelf. Good grief. My story was great, agent loved it--but we added chapters, added sub plots, took out a character, developed one character further--on and on. We argued, I yelled (not at agent)( I smashed a keyboard)(kicked my metal desk)(that hurt) Agent said in all caps--I DON'T SEE WHY YOU CAN'T JUST GET RID OF THE BROTHER-- we picked over a very graphic chapter--intern said tone it down, agent later asked what the hell happened to that great stuff you had in here?

So I found creative way to keep brother, changed graphic chapter to way agent wanted it, getting rid of an entire theme that ran the length of the novel to do so. I went through two summer interns and finally ended up working hand and hand with my agent. LOL

Like page count--stop thinking about what the final book will be. Title will most likely change, text will change, page length will depend on font they use ect. Cover will be out of your hands--

Really, find that article read and apply--you will be amazed at what comes out of your keyboard when you use your idea and that guide. Others have done this as well with great success.

Shawn

Brinestone
Member # 747

- posted      Profile for Brinestone   Email Brinestone         Edit/Delete Post 
Okay, Shawn, I concede. First off, the Simon thing was a stupid idea. I suspect you thought I was my husband (Jon Boy), since he is the one who usually disagrees with you on this board. Anyhow.

I got that "well-kept secret" from Dave Wolverton. He published everything he ever wrote. His first novel, Runelords is monstrously long. He told a whole class full of sf/fantasy writing students that they could be published if their work was good enough.

On the flip side, I know someone who has written ten novels, two of which I have read. I thought they were both excellent. He is working on publishing his first, but yes, the first few he sent in were rejected simply because they were too long. The publishers even told him so.

What I'm willing to believe is that Wolverton was able to break in with a long novel thirty years ago but that the same thing can't happen now. I still think that if a novel knocks a publisher's socks off, it will sell. But knocking a publisher's socks off is something that only happens once in a great while, so it's a lot safer to just follow the rules.

And Shawn, I don't care how much more experience with the writing/editing/publishing world you have, your condescending attitude is really, really getting on my nerves. Every time someone disagrees with you, you say you're banging your head on the wall, or repeating this for the umpteenth time, or something along those lines. Yes, you have experience. Others do too. Just because one thing has been true for you doesn't mean it is true universally. Please, please, please, cut the attitude. I generally enjoy what you have to say, but the way you say it almost always makes me want to argue with you. And I don't argue with anybody.

[This message has been edited by Brinestone (edited March 30, 2004).]

Posts: 814 | Registered: Nov 2000  | Report this post to a Moderator
Christine
Member # 1646

- posted      Profile for Christine   Email Christine         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, I read it. Is it always true, then, that editors want to add words? Why not subtract? Why not add and subtract? I mean, I don't know the answer, but in your example they only balked at really really long novels. And when you sent it to the agent it was 90k, which is significantly longer than 70...much closer, actually, to the 100k mark I mentioned.???

I can't agree with the it will sell if it's great line. I guess I don't have any experience to say yay or nay, but the trouble with "great" is that it's also subjective. Publishers are in this to make money. This isn't a charity or even an artistic displayl. It's about the bucks. And if your "great" novel follows the rules so much the better, they know it's ok and will make money. It's a good risk. But a "great" novel that breaks rules is going to be a difficult sell because it's different. It's a risk. Think of it in capitalistic terms.

[This message has been edited by Christine (edited March 30, 2004).]

Posts: 3567 | Registered: May 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

- posted      Profile for Survivor   Email Survivor         Edit/Delete Post 
I have to say, I'll disagree with SR about a lot of things, but she does have the chops when it comes to knowing what can or can't be published.

If you're good enough to break the rules and still get published, then you already know it. For anyone that wonders "can I get published if I break publishing rule X?", the answer is no.

And besides, if you're good enough to break the rules and get published, you're also good enough to follow the rules of publishing without any sweat.

Just my two cents, which expends all my knowledge of and interest in this subject. If you want to know how to get published, listen to a published writer and editor. SR may or may not be the world's greatest artiste, but she knows publishing.

Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  | Report this post to a Moderator
Brinestone
Member # 747

- posted      Profile for Brinestone   Email Brinestone         Edit/Delete Post 
All hail Survivor!
Marianne
Member # 1546

- posted      Profile for Marianne   Email Marianne         Edit/Delete Post 
I for one appreciate SR's input on this forum....I never even noticed an attitude...(better work on that, SR, if that is the effect you are going for) No one has the complete answer because every publishing story I have heard is different, and I have heard a ton of them at conferences.. But it is nice to hear about the experiences of a person who has an agent. Thank you, Shawn. And I don't mind if you repeat it, because I am old and forgetfull.

Marianne

Posts: 173 | Registered: Dec 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
Brinestone
Member # 747

I too value Shawn's input on this forum. She's gone where I've only dreamed of going in getting an agent and having personalized rejection letters and all that. I read her posts maybe more carefully than most people's on this side, because I figure she knows what she's saying.

But about three times in the past few weeks, she and I (or she and someone else) have disagreed on things, and I always felt she was acting as if the fact that I disagreed with her made me an unpublished, immature vermin who was just wasting her time. Kathleen is also much more experienced than I am, but she never makes me feel that way. That's all I'm saying.

[This message has been edited by Brinestone (edited March 30, 2004).]

srhowen
Member # 462

I offer words to help, and I do kick my desk, and i do smash keyboards on occasion. AND I do feel like I am beating a dead horse or hitting my head on a wall.

I used to do a lot of freelance editing for FREE. I got good wages for the editing I did, but I would take people on for free, just because I saw a lot of potential in what they wrote. Publishers rarely take on "work with just potential" anymore. I rarely do anymore.

Why?

Because the frustration factor has gotten too big.

It seems that no matter what, people will say--the big secret is, hey but so and so broke in this way--on and on that becomes the mantra of the new writer (and no I do not mean everyone) just seems it is a lot of people.

It is stated as fact that this is the big secret--but disagree with what seems to be the chance for the big break and then you are condescending. I think most people realize that I am not coping a 'tude. The second post on here brought up the dead horse, I brought up the fact that in dealing with my agent I smashed things-- so thus--(humor) I am beating a dead horse and blah blah--

So, someone else can call the thread a dead horse but I can't?

It is also very very frustrating to see good writers, very good writers who have a real chance at shelf space, say hey but the big secret is and the exception is--I want to grab them and shake them and say WAKE UP.

Thus the line about after so many years I have learned that writers will only listen to what they are ready to listen to. I know, my point was--I was there--I tried it, others have tried it or why the article published in WD about that very thing, that is why I often back up what I say with nationally published things.

And I do see why very few published writers or those close to it do not hang out on BB and offer advice. Kathleen is the moderator--I can act that way too, but why should I? Sheesh--one set of rules for Shawn--she can't speak her mind, but others can--why? Heck, if I know.

Shawn, shakes head. That's fine. I don't have a lot of time to add to BB anymore. I hang here and absolute write. I used to proof what I said and get rid of the "me" in it. I am a type A person --my own hubby calls my formidable, but in the interest of still trying to help, I don't do that much anymore.

sigh

got off work early tonight, so must go get some writing done.

I am sorry if I offended anyone--wait till you deal with an agent---LOL

Note the LOL. Also note I went through two interns--ate them for lunch, then ended up dealing with Mr. Zack directly. Came head to head with someone as strong willed as I am--just the right agent for me.

Shawn

JBShearer
Member # 9434

- posted      Profile for JBShearer   Email JBShearer         Edit/Delete Post 
Two things about hierarchy. First, the local Church magistrate can have as much power (if not more so) than the king. Remember Thomas Beckett and the ArchBishop of Canterbury? The King's power was so impotent compared to that of his Bishop, that he had to have him assasinated. For a literary allegory, look to anything written by Dumas.

Second, there were little to no freemen peasants until the high-middle ages, nearly 1200 A.D. or so, and there weren't very many until the beginning of the Renaissance. It was actually the merchant freemen that brought about a good deal of the change that allowed the Renaissance to happen.

[This message has been edited by JBShearer (edited March 30, 2004).]

Posts: 12 | Registered: Feb 2011  | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you, JB, for the on-topic post.

(For what it's worth (FWIW), I'm capable of being every bit as intimidating in person as Shawn. I wonder which one of us is taller.)

Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

All the other posts were on topic too...it's just that Cvgurau posted two entirely distinct questions at the head of the topic.

I'm guessing that KDW is taller. SR writes like a short person, if you know what I mean Just kidding...I saw a picture of her somewhere, and she looked pretty short.

JBShearer brings up one reason I haven't bothered to comment on the other question...there isn't a set answer. The German princes went Lutheran so that they could effectively abolish the political power of the church, there were always these little heritic groups forming up in the mountains which had no kings or nobles, the entire middle ages was crawling with non-Christians that could go from lower than insect nobodies to virtual princes or just a little more powerful than some kings with a shift in the political/economic/hygenic winds (or the other way round)...and then you have the Gypsies running around.

How long should a first book be if you want to get published? Ask a publisher. Who's got the more power in a "medieval" society? We're talking about hundreds of years and dozens of different countries. There is no final answer.

Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
Survivor, you know how tall I am.

I'd guess that Shawn is shorter too, just on the odds. But I wouldn't be surprised if she and I were the same height.

Obligatory on topic comment (OOTC): Good point about the German princes. That probably explains why there were so many German principalities, too. "Balkanization" in some form or another is a very old thing.

srhowen
Member # 462

5'4", swim 1200 meters three times a week, and lift on off swim days.

Shawn

Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

I'm taller, but I think Shawn wins.
Survivor
Member # 213

Yep, she exercises like a short person too
srhowen
Member # 462

LOL--shorter person = less distance to lift when doing squats.

Shawn

Brinestone
Member # 747

I always love being short when I'm trying to move through a crowd. I can fit where others can't.
EricJamesStone
Member # 1681

- posted      Profile for EricJamesStone   Email EricJamesStone         Edit/Delete Post 
I thought the last several messages were getting way off topic, but then I looked back at cvgurau's original message and realized that I was wrong.
quote:
Getting to the question...does size really matter?

Posts: 1517 | Registered: Jul 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
srhowen
Member # 462

I'm not touching that one with a hmm urr 10 ft pole.

Shawn

Brinestone
Member # 747

You're just upset because you don't quite measure up.
cvgurau
Member # 1345

- posted      Profile for cvgurau   Email cvgurau         Edit/Delete Post 
Okay, I get what you're saying. Don't try to go for the 125K-word first novel. Gotcha.

But this brings forth more questions. Do I kill off entire characters and storylines, or do I try and turn this one book into two, or even three books?

Sorry to keep pestering you, but the thought has been eating at me for a while.

Edited to add: I'd hesitate to split the book into a two- (or even three-) parter, as this seems incredibly vain of me, like I'm saying my story is so important, and so well-written, and gosh-darn it, so danged entertaining that you have to read three books to finish it.

[This message has been edited by cvgurau (edited April 01, 2004).]

Posts: 552 | Registered: Jan 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
srhowen
Member # 462

It seems that it is always harder to get rid of words. You have to go through and really take a look at each word--do you need it?

Say you have something like: The woman with gray hair who was fifty decided to cross the street with a lot of cars on it. (ugh lame--I worked ten hours yesterday just spent several hrs in HTML hell)

You can reword with less words to say the same thing and make a better sentence to boot.

The gray haired woman (do we need to know she is 50?) crossed the crowded street. (we don't need decided because we know she decided to when she crossed otherwise why would she cross?

If you edit this way, really thinking about each word and sentence, does it move the plot, is it filler fact (not needed to move the plot) you can eliminate a lot of words without losing story.

Shawn

Balthasar
Member # 5399

quote:
I'd hesitate to split the book into a two- (or even three-) parter, as this seems incredibly vain of me, like I'm saying my story is so important, and so well-written, and gosh-darn it, so danged entertaining that you have to read three books to finish it.

When George Lucas originally released Star Wars in 1977, he did not include the words, "Episode IV." (That came when he rereleased it in 1980 to prepare for the release of Empire.) He didn't know how well the movie would do, and so he made it as self-complete as possbile. But becasue he knew there was a story after Star Wars, he left open the possibility for a sequeal by showing that Darth Vader survived the attack on the Death Star.

So why not follow Lucas's lead? Why not write a essentially self-contained story, leaving open the possibilities for further books?

[This message has been edited by Balthasar (edited April 01, 2004).]

Survivor
Member # 213

Yes. Also remember that if your story is any good, people are going to want a sequel anyway.
EricJamesStone
Member # 1681

- posted      Profile for EricJamesStone   Email EricJamesStone         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
So why not follow Lucas's lead? Why not write a essentially self-contained story, leaving open the possibilities for further books?

Being able to do so greatly depends on whether there is a convenient major subplot to the entire work that can function as the main plot of a self-contained book.

The Fellowship of the Ring, for example, does not work as a self-contained story leaving open the possibility of a sequel. It only works as the first part of a larger work.

Balthasar
Member # 5399

That's because Tolkien wrote it as such. He conceived a giant work which, if I'm in the know, was never supposed to be published in three volumes.

There are two types of "Volume 1." On the one hand, you have a self-contained story that is open to sequels. On the other hand, you have a story (such as Fellowship) that isn't self-contained.

My point was to write a self-contained story that's open to additional stories.

[This message has been edited by Balthasar (edited April 01, 2004).]

EricJamesStone
Member # 1681

quote:
That's because Tolkien wrote it as such. He conceived a giant work which, if I'm in the know, was never supposed to be published in three volumes.

And that was exactly my point.

If someone has conceived a giant work, they may not be able to just split off the beginning as a standalone novel left open for sequels. Telling them to do that is no help under those circumstances.

Survivor
Member # 213

Yes, but there is a step between conception and writing.

For instance, even in the work as written, Frodo doesn't know that he has to take the Ring all the way to Mordor till the Council of Elrond. What if we defer his determination to go all the way till a "Council of Galadrial" in Lothlorian? Then we could write the first book as a fairly independent seeming quest, to take the Ring to Lothlorian, where Frodo can presume his task will be finished. When he gets there, we have larger elements which cry for a sequel, but Frodo's quest would seem to be completed, and thus the book is complete.

Just like in Star Wars, the Death Star is destroyed, and a victory won for the Alliance, but of course the Empire is still intact and Vader is still at large.

But all this only means that The Lord of the Rings isn't the best example, since Tolkien could have made it into a more logical trilogy if he'd had the idea before the entire thing was already written. I do have to agree with the general principle...that there are some larger stories which could not be easily split into smaller books.

But consider, in most cases this might well be because the book is already too structurally simple. I think that as the structural complexity of a story increases, the potential to create an independent initial book rises. Remember, even the famously never-ending Wheel of Time stories started off with a book that came to a logical conclusion (in point of fact, the first three or four books ended with a minor resolution). And here we speak of an author that had been published dozens of times in a number of genres before.

I think, as a general rule, that if your story is getting to the point where the first third would be a book lengthwise, then it shouldn't be too hard to find a way to make that first third it's own book structurally as well. There will be exceptions, but they will be few and far between, and tend to occur in stories that do not have a conventional narrative structure at all (you know, where the entire story is nested flashbacks or some such thing).

danquixote
Member # 1949

- posted      Profile for danquixote           Edit/Delete Post 
The Sword of Shannara is a complete LOTR rip-off, but it was a good book, too. It was a stand alone novel. So was the Elfstones of Shannara, even though it built on Sword. So was the Wishsong of Shannara. I actually was disappointed when Terry Brooks fell into the ubiquitous trilogy pattern.

(Why is that so popular for sci-fi and fantasy, by the way?)

Not that I have any experience --
But in theory I agree with the idea that, for a first novel, do whatever you can to sell it to a publisher. If you can't bear to "kill your darlings" in this book, write a different first novel. Then, when you're established, you can wow your editor by cranking out a 2,000 page epic in three months.

Posts: 47 | Registered: Mar 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.