Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Voice recognition software

Author Topic: Voice recognition software
JBShearer
Member # 9434

- posted      Profile for JBShearer   Email JBShearer         Edit/Delete Post 
Has anyone written with Voice Recognition, such as Dragon Naturally Speaking? My dad uses it for his anthro-stuff, and he says can go about 140 W.P.M. He also says that it is WAY more accurate than it was a few years ago.

I type by touch at 85 W.P.M., and I know a mistake the instant I've made it, so I can backspace in no time at all. I think that all of the editing Voice-rec would cause would only frustrate me.

Posts: 12 | Registered: Feb 2011  | Report this post to a Moderator
AeroB1033
Member # 1956

- posted      Profile for AeroB1033   Email AeroB1033         Edit/Delete Post 
There are too many issues with formatting, sentence structure, punctuation, and more. I couldn't ever use voice recognition, as it would take away too much of my control over my prose, and I'd have to go back and spend many tedious hours fixing everything.
Posts: 233 | Registered: Mar 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
TruHero
Member # 1766

- posted      Profile for TruHero   Email TruHero         Edit/Delete Post 
I have always wanted to try one of those things. My typing skills SUCK! I would like to be in the 85 wpm range but I am not. I can almost type by touch, but I still look at my fingers occasionally. Ok, about every three words or so. So a voice system is very intriguing.
Any body know where to look for a good one that would break the bank?

Posts: 471 | Registered: Sep 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Eljay
Member # 1941

- posted      Profile for Eljay   Email Eljay         Edit/Delete Post 
I could never do it! I have to write through my hands, whether using a keyboard (preferred) or a pen. I've tried dictating stuff on occasion (when my hands were occupied with a baby, when my carpal tunnel syndrome was really bad), and while it's fine for nonfiction, I can't do fiction that way.
Posts: 73 | Registered: Mar 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

- posted      Profile for Survivor   Email Survivor         Edit/Delete Post 
Let me see, I can't type quite as fast as I can talk...but I more often have to backtrack to get the exact words I want than for typos.

I vote no. A transcript of my speech would no doubt be interesting, but it isn't writing, if you know what I mean.

Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  | Report this post to a Moderator
teddyrux
Member # 1595

- posted      Profile for teddyrux           Edit/Delete Post 
I write for 2 to 4 hours at a time and on 2 different computers. I just can't see myself talking to myself, out loud, for that long. I'm sure that after 100 pages i'd have a sore throat. That doesn't count the time it takes to learn it.

Rux

Posts: 198 | Registered: Feb 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Lord Darkstorm
Member # 1610

- posted      Profile for Lord Darkstorm   Email Lord Darkstorm         Edit/Delete Post 
I've tried to use a couple of the voice recognition software packages. The bigest problem is the investment in time to get it even close to accurate. If you are not a very articulate (not to mention accurate) speaker, in a quite environment, it just isn't worth the trouble.

As far as how fast I can type, it doesn't matter. I can type much faster than I can come up with what I want to put in my story. So overall, the keyboard is still the best way for me.

LDS

Posts: 807 | Registered: Mar 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
Every so often, I hear from someone who has a "great story" they want written, but they don't know how to go about getting it written. (I just know I'm going to hear them offer to let me write it for them--and we can split the money 50-50!)

I tell them to get a tape recorder (and an audience, if necessary), and TELL the story into the tape recorder, then get it transcribed somehow. That way, they have something on paper that can be edited and developed.

I think voice recognition software would be great for people like that, though I really wonder how many of them would actually go to that much trouble. (It would be easier to get some writer to write it for them, ya know?)

Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  | Report this post to a Moderator
Lord Darkstorm
Member # 1610

- posted      Profile for Lord Darkstorm   Email Lord Darkstorm         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
(It would be easier to get some writer to write it for them, ya know?)

But then it would no longer be thier story...it would be the writers story.

srhowen
Member # 462

- posted      Profile for srhowen   Email srhowen         Edit/Delete Post 
Dragon--when I have about ten loads of laundry to fold--I can "write" and fold at the same time. You do have to learn a lot to go with it, but once you do, it is a good tool, just like anything else out there.

Shawn

Sheesh edited--I wrote this after a ten hr work shift.

[This message has been edited by srhowen (edited April 01, 2004).]

Posts: 1019 | Registered: Apr 2000  | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
They don't usually see it that way, milord. The really frustrating ones think that since they came up with the idea, the story is still half theirs.

They don't understand that ideas are everywhere and are not copyrightable.

Jane Yolen has said more than once that the question "where do you get your ideas?" really bugs her because it makes it sound like coming up with the ideas is the hard part.

Some people really do think that it is, though.

When I find someone like that, I tell them that most writers have so many ideas of their own that they want to write, there's no way they'd be interested in writing someone else's idea (unless the person with the idea wants to pay the author, in a ghost-writer kind of arrangement).

This is also the answer I give to people who are worried that someone is going to steal their ideas. Since ideas aren't copyrightable, they are completely stealable; but it isn't the idea that's crucial, it's the execution, the writing, the characters, the setting, the description, the words, the style--all things that each writer brings to an idea, and each writer would bring differently to the same idea.

srhowen
Member # 462

- posted      Profile for srhowen   Email srhowen         Edit/Delete Post 
Kathleen, LOL I think youposted ot the wrong thread.

Shawn

Posts: 1019 | Registered: Apr 2000  | Report this post to a Moderator
Rahl22
Member # 1411

- posted      Profile for Rahl22   Email Rahl22         Edit/Delete Post 
I think she's got it right. Look at Lord Darkstorm's post.
Posts: 1621 | Registered: Apr 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

Yes. I was responding to Lord Darkstorm (and you, Shawn, got your post in ahead of mine).
Lord Darkstorm
Member # 1610

I remember we started one of the 1000 ideas thread. Not that it reached anything close to 100, but well. I know Christine did a story from it as well as I did.

Well, the results were drastically different. Even if you made an outline and had two writers write from it, the stories would still have major differences.

Of course this is way off topic....sorry.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.