Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Is this waaay too cliche?

Author Topic: Is this waaay too cliche?
Lullaby Lady
Member # 1840

- posted      Profile for Lullaby Lady   Email Lullaby Lady         Edit/Delete Post 
Are dreams over-used in stories?

I've got a story I've been working on for a few months now, and much of it is set in the main character's dreams. Is this just too cliche? Should I abandon this story and move on to others?

Forgive my ignorance... I'm a beginner!

Posts: 212 | Registered: Dec 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
AeroB1033
Member # 1956

- posted      Profile for AeroB1033   Email AeroB1033         Edit/Delete Post 
If you're going to do a dream sequence, then it needs to either

a) Fool the reader into thinking it's not a dream (generally bad, in my opinion)

b) Have a real purpose, generally involving learning something new or the character making an important realization (better)

The reader knows that the dream sequence is not real, and will not effect the story except in what realizations the dreaming character makes. So if there's not some compelling information or realization that you're giving, the reader will probably not be all that interested.

[This message has been edited by AeroB1033 (edited April 05, 2004).]

Posts: 233 | Registered: Mar 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
EricJamesStone
Member # 1681

- posted      Profile for EricJamesStone   Email EricJamesStone         Edit/Delete Post 
Lacking any further context, it's hard to tell whether your use of dreams in your story is cliched.

It is definitely a cliche to deceive the reader into believing something is happening and then to reveal that it was only happening in a dream.

Posts: 1517 | Registered: Jul 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Christine
Member # 1646

- posted      Profile for Christine   Email Christine         Edit/Delete Post 
That sounds a bit like an idea I filed away for a later date. (I have so many projects right now!) When you say that the story is set in his dreams, I get the impression that this is more than a dream sequence...that in your world the dreams have some semblance of true reality. Either that or he is transported into a new world through his dreams. Is that the case? If so, I personally think it's a good idea, but like I said, I had a similiar idea so I might just be biased.

Now, if that's not the case, then I think AeroB1033 has made some good points. Overusing dreams can be an AWFUL technique. It is a good way to lose your reader's trust, especially if you lie to them and make them think it isn't a dream. Dreams should be used sparingly and only for good reason.

Posts: 3567 | Registered: May 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
EricJamesStone
Member # 1681

- posted      Profile for EricJamesStone   Email EricJamesStone         Edit/Delete Post 
On the subject of cliches more generally, check out the Grand List of Overused Science Fiction Cliches.
Posts: 1517 | Registered: Jul 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
wetwilly
Member # 1818

- posted      Profile for wetwilly   Email wetwilly         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, using dreams is cliche. Having cars in stories is also cliche, as well as dogs, food, and romantic relationships.

Dreams are an everyday part of life. Using everyday parts of life is not cliche it's...well...life. Use them at will.

That being said, there are some specific ways of using dreams that is cliche, as mentioned above. The "but it was all just a dream" revelation, as already stated, is one of them. The person who sees a serial killer murdering people in their dreams and has to use the psychic cues to track him down is another. Especially if they see the killer killing them or someone they know.

Posts: 1528 | Registered: Dec 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Gen
Member # 1868

- posted      Profile for Gen   Email Gen         Edit/Delete Post 
I think dreams are definitely valid-- they happen in real life, after all. But for inclusion they should be somehow meaningful in the plot. Beyond that, I couldn't say anything useful without knowing *how* the dreams fit into your plot. One book where this is nicely handled is Diana Wynne Jones, _The Lives of Christopher Chant_, where the dreams seem like they're not reality to the protagonist and he slowly comes to realize they're his experiences in an alternate set of worlds that are all too real, and he's been helping people who are [deleted because I realized it's a spoiler, and it's too good a book to spoil].

Something related, and freaky, and moving a bit beyond dreams: sleepwalking/talking. Freaky experience, even in the real world. (I've woken up to find I hid my glasses between the wall and a nice, hot radiator, and let me tell you, it wasn't pretty. Took a while to even find them, much less get them out.) Sleepwalking in a world where I could throw fireballs? Nightmare material. So beyond the basic "prophecy in dreams" and "it was real all along" tropes there are other ways in which the seemingly unimportant dreams could have some kind of effect on the real world the characters are living in.

Posts: 253 | Registered: Jan 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Lullaby Lady
Member # 1840

- posted      Profile for Lullaby Lady   Email Lullaby Lady         Edit/Delete Post 
To answer Christine, yes, the dreams do transport the character to another world/reality. I'm really not trying to re-do "The Wizard of Oz" or anything!

That being said, the things the main character learns in her dreams change her and, to an extent, they change her "real world."

Thank you for your remarks. It's a story I'm really enjoying, and I love the characters, but I didn't want to put too much work into something that would get this reaction:

Keep your opinions coming! I really respect what you folks have to say...

[This message has been edited by Lullaby Lady (edited April 05, 2004).]

Posts: 212 | Registered: Dec 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Christine
Member # 1646

- posted      Profile for Christine   Email Christine         Edit/Delete Post 
And more importantly...if YOU are enjoying the story, then write it! Passion is so important in writing and if you got it, flaunt it!
Posts: 3567 | Registered: May 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Rahl22
Member # 1411

- posted      Profile for Rahl22   Email Rahl22         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, Eric -- many of those I hadn't heard of and sounded pretty cool
Posts: 1621 | Registered: Apr 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
Byrd
Member # 1933

- posted      Profile for Byrd   Email Byrd         Edit/Delete Post 
Just don't have the main character die and then, after two years, reveal that he didn't die and everything had been a dream.
But it seems to me that a dream would be fine so long as you're not trying to shock the reader with the "it was all a dream" bit.

Posts: 31 | Registered: Feb 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Byrd
Member # 1933

- posted      Profile for Byrd   Email Byrd         Edit/Delete Post 
(Was looking over the list)
Eccentric scientists are not cliche. Eccentric scientists are a cold, hard fact of nature.

Posts: 31 | Registered: Feb 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
TheoPhileo
Member # 1914

- posted      Profile for TheoPhileo   Email TheoPhileo         Edit/Delete Post 
A huge portion of The Wheel of Time takes place in the dream world (tel'aran'rhiod), and I think Jordan does it well.

I think when it comes to things like dreams or prophecy or even common fantasy themes like magic, a huge key is finding a way to do it that's just different enough from the norm that it is unique, and therefore interesting. The last thing I want to read is another story about using mana to throw fireballs. But fireballs can be done believably in other ways that are more unique, if you just have enough creativity to be different. For example, in a story I'm working on I use dreams, not to tell the future, but to reveal the distant past.

[This message has been edited by TheoPhileo (edited April 05, 2004).]

Posts: 292 | Registered: Feb 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
James Maxey
Member # 1335

- posted      Profile for James Maxey   Email James Maxey         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm usually very intolerant of dream sequences in books and films. They always seem like cheats. But, this weekend I saw Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind. The whole movie is pretty much a dream sequence, and it works really well.

--James

Posts: 252 | Registered: Dec 2001  | Report this post to a Moderator
TruHero
Member # 1766

- posted      Profile for TruHero   Email TruHero         Edit/Delete Post 
I think it is okay as long as you don't pull a Bobby Ewing (Dallas).
If your character is dreaming, let the reader know. Unless, the lines between dreaming and being awake become blurred. Then that can be very interesting as well. If your character just cannot discern which state he/she is in. I like stories about people who are going crazy. All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy. There see how nice that is. Not like that is what you are after or anything.

Posts: 471 | Registered: Sep 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

- posted      Profile for Survivor   Email Survivor         Edit/Delete Post 
Sometimes a dream can just reveal the unconscious mind of the character. I have lots of recurring dreams...or at least dreams that have one of several common themes.

For instance...I have lots of combat dreams. I also have lots of dreams about driving/fixing completely derelict vehicles. And I have a fairly well well-defined and apparently somewhat atypical flying dream (I pretty much always use the same method to achieve flight--a sort of Zen thing...I have no idea why this is the case).

All these things probably reveal something about me...I don't really know what.

Anyway, I just thought I'd put in my two cents since pretty much everyone else seems to have done so.

Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  | Report this post to a Moderator
Pyre Dynasty
Member # 1947

- posted      Profile for Pyre Dynasty   Email Pyre Dynasty         Edit/Delete Post 
Dreams can help us work out things that we may be too close to. Try asking yourself a question right before you go to sleep. Although it's all abstract, usually you get answers you wouldn't have thought of in your concious mind.
I almost always have a dream sequence in my stories. To give a psycological insight on my chars. Or sometime I have dreams that are just too good and I have to use them.
Dreams are a tool, like a hammer. With a hammer you can build a wall or knock it over.
I had a story that half of it happened in a dream. and the main char soon started living in his dreams and let them take over his life. He ends up crazy but I can't figure out how to get here, so I've put it away for a while.

Posts: 1895 | Registered: Mar 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Jsteg1210
Member # 1993

- posted      Profile for Jsteg1210   Email Jsteg1210         Edit/Delete Post 
One good point to make is that with all the ways in which to use a dream, you need to let the reader know how it is you are using it in your story. For instance, if you're using it as part of the actual plot that you might change the descriptive narrative a bit and mark clear transitions, but still have full development inside the dream. Or if you're using it only to help the reader gain insight into your character then it might be wise to treat it as more of a descriptive detail and allude to it indirectly without inturrupting the main narrative.

Those are just some tips I've picked up, there are others on this post far more experienced than me.

Posts: 66 | Registered: Apr 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.