Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Recommended Reference Material?

Author Topic: Recommended Reference Material?
punahougirl84
Member # 1731

- posted      Profile for punahougirl84   Email punahougirl84         Edit/Delete Post 
I know we have posted about writing books we recommend. I have a related question.

Let's say you are writing sf or f! Do you have a favorite reference book that sits on your desk, or a heavily-visited site that you would recommend? If you could only afford to have one or two books to help you write in your genre or sub-genre, which could you not live without(not including general dictionaries or a thesaurus!)?

This could be a general science book - for example, I purchased "Borderlands of Science: How to Think Like a Scientist and Write Science Fiction" by Charles Sheffield to give me a broad range of general knowledge that also gives good details and relates them to writing sf.

This could be specific about a particular branch of science too.

Same for fantasy.

I thought sharing would help some of us (without such backgrounds) narrow our search for references we can read without our brains exploding. It doesn't hurt that I got a bookstore giftcard for my birthday...

Posts: 465 | Registered: Aug 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
EricJamesStone
Member # 1681

- posted      Profile for EricJamesStone   Email EricJamesStone         Edit/Delete Post 
I do most of my reference work online nowadays.

Sites I use quite often:

http://dictionary.reference.com/
http://thesaurus.reference.com/
http://www.wikipedia.com/

Posts: 1517 | Registered: Jul 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Eljay
Member # 1941

- posted      Profile for Eljay   Email Eljay         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, it's not a reference book, but in terms of keeping up with current science, the weekly Science News is outstanding. If I'm ever short of ideas, that's where I go to start myself thinking.

In terms of useful books, a good technical dictionary is a must, the sort that handles specialized vocabulary for a large number of science and engineering fields.

If you want some basic biochemistry, I'd highly recommend _For the Love of Enzymes_. It's very readable, does a good job with the historical stuff, and gives a good feel for the field.

Posts: 73 | Registered: Mar 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
teddyrux
Member # 1595

- posted      Profile for teddyrux           Edit/Delete Post 
I primarily write fantasy, (and some non-fiction). Before a major work, and when I'm stuck, I read "How to Write Fantasy and Science Fiction" by OSC. I also read the introduction to "The Writer's Complete Fantasy Reference" by Writer's Digerst Books. The introductionwas writtenby Terry Brooks. It is an invaluable quick reference book for just about anything you might need, from clothing to food and religion.

Rux
:}

Posts: 198 | Registered: Feb 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
JBShearer
Member # 9434

- posted      Profile for JBShearer   Email JBShearer         Edit/Delete Post 
To keep in the know about new scientific theories that might be exciting to write about, I read Scientific American magazine.

For fantasy, I read fantasy. It's such a narrow genre that allows such a small influx of new ideas, you have to have a firm understanding of what has been done, and try to puzzle out what hasn't.

Posts: 12 | Registered: Feb 2011  | Report this post to a Moderator
AeroB1033
Member # 1956

- posted      Profile for AeroB1033   Email AeroB1033         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Before a major work, and when I'm stuck, I read "How to Write Fantasy and Science Fiction" by OSC

Seconded. And if anything, Characters & Viewpoint is even more useful--really eye-opening to the actual reasoning behind some things I always did instinctively and why dramatic devices/character traits/etc work. I've learned a lot from this book.

Posts: 233 | Registered: Mar 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

- posted      Profile for Survivor   Email Survivor         Edit/Delete Post 
If I could only afford one or two books? Meaning that one or two books would eat almost all of some scarce resource that I, as a writer, would have devoted to helping me write?

I wouldn't have any, in that case. I'd allocate the resources some other, more efficient, way.

Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  | Report this post to a Moderator
Kolona
Member # 1438

- posted      Profile for Kolona   Email Kolona         Edit/Delete Post 
Definitely my two-volume Funk & Wagnalls Standard Dictionary that came with our encyclopedia set many years ago, and Roget's 21st Century Thesaurus.
Posts: 1810 | Registered: Jun 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
Pyre Dynasty
Member # 1947

- posted      Profile for Pyre Dynasty   Email Pyre Dynasty         Edit/Delete Post 
As for reference in fantasy, look on the RPG rack. There are many sourcebooks that I love to look in. Creature and terrain books are the most helpful. I once found a huge book devoted compleatly to dragons. Don't worry so much about the tables and numbers.
For fantasy weapons The Encyclopedia of Weapons and Armor of Middle earth. (I not in a good position to go grab it so I'm not sure that's its real title.) It has wonderful pictures of the weaponry they made for the movie so you really know what they are talking about. It helps me to make my own weapons. (in story not in real life, I use different books for that.)
I also have a childrens book on metals and early man that helps me to understand Metalurgy. (Although I should look to more sophisticated I guess.)

Posts: 1895 | Registered: Mar 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
Children's books are a great way to go. Sometimes, you just need a little information instead of a deep dissertation, and children's books on a subject can give that to you.
Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.