Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Catholicism questions (papal related)

Author Topic: Catholicism questions (papal related)
kinglear
Member # 1932

- posted      Profile for kinglear   Email kinglear         Edit/Delete Post 
Ok, as seems a common thread, I happen to be using the Catholic church in the book I'm working on. I'm trying to make this as realistic as a story set 500 years in the future can be, so I have some questions related to proper respect within the upper echelon of the Catholic Church, primarily related to the Pope. I haven't been able to find answers to this online, so I thought I might as the Catholic Hatrackers...

1) Is it appropriate for an underling to refer to the Pope as 'your excellency' or is there a preferred name? This is just for normal conversation, IE, the character is answering a command by saying "Yes, your excellency." is that proper within the Catholic church?

2) Ok, the Pope is elected by the Council or Arch Cardinals right? Now, as assistants, would the pope have Arch Cardinals? or Cardinals, or Bishops? Essentially, what is the appropriate rank within the Catholic church to be one of the Pope's assistants, or is there a special branch within the priesthood that deals in aiding the Pope.

3) If the Pope and an assistant are discussing some action that the Pope wants the assistant to take, would it be appropriate for the assistant to ask permission to leave to perform it, or would the assistant simply stay silent waiting to be dismissed?

4) Does anyone have a website or information on how a Pope selects his name? I have found lists of former Popes, with their real names and the names they took, but I can't find anything on Why a Pope took a particular name (such as Benedict or Alexander)? Does the Pope choose the name, or does the Catholic community that elected him?

thanks in advance!

-jon-

Posts: 35 | Registered: Feb 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
James Maxey
Member # 1335

- posted      Profile for James Maxey   Email James Maxey         Edit/Delete Post 
I just did a google to see if I could answer any of your questions and turned up some suprises. Apparently, since Vatican 2 in 1963, its been appropriate to address the Pope as, "Yo! Pope!"

Hope this helps,
James

Posts: 252 | Registered: Dec 2001  | Report this post to a Moderator
Christine
Member # 1646

- posted      Profile for Christine   Email Christine         Edit/Delete Post 
The pope is referred to as "Your Eminence."

I'm reasonably certain that the pope chooses his own name, and as with all names in the catholic churhc, it is meant to honor a favorite saint or the like. Some families have favorite saints or patron saints, and this might also be related to the pope's nation of origin. So Benedict might have named himself after any of the following:

St. Benedict and Companions
St. Benedict Biscop
St. Benedict the Black
St. Benedict Crispus
St. Benedict Joseph Labré
St. Benedict of Nursia
St. Benedict of Aniane
St. Benedict of Cagliari
St. Benedict of Campania
St. Benedict of Macerac
St. Benedict of Sebaste
St. Benedict of Szkalka
St. Benedict Revelli
St. Benedict the Moor

YEEKS! I didn't expect there to be so many benedicts..I got that list from:
http://www.catholic.org/saints/

I'm not even posting all the Alexander's!!

The site also describes the saints and what they did to become a saint. Some with just a sentence, the most popular once with quite a bit.

As for the answers to #2 and #3...I'm really not sure. For #2 I imagine it depends upon what you mean by assistant. All kinds of people work in the vatican (not just cardinals), and the hierarchy is not as clear cut as you make it out to be. I gave the priest, bishop, arch bishop...list to someone else and that's usually as much as people understand, but it's not the real truth. There are hundreds of ORDERS of priest, and that plays in to all of this somehow too.

If I had to make a suggestions...I'd say get up the nerve to go talk to three priests and ask them these questions. This isn't the sort of thing you'll find on the web, or if it's there, you have to have a lot better idea of what you're looking for. Go talk to three priests and ask them the questions and then take the majority opinion. (They really don't all know all the answers....I've heard plenty of discenting opinions and some are flat wrong.) But they are typically nice, plenty willing to talk as long as you're respectful, and they are highly educated.

Here's one suggestions, though. If you actually want to get it right, don't use ANY current fiction works as a reference. Oh, I'm sure a few got it right, but most make assumptions or use ignorant stereotypees. On the other hand, if you went ahead and wrote it without doing any actual research you would be in good company....I've had to overlook some ignorance in otherwise really good books myself and I managed to enjoy them. My husband says he's only ran across one xception to that (being able to overlook the mistakes and stereotypes) and I haven't read it but the Left Behind series apparently crossed the line in book 2. (If it managed to cross the line HE set...whew....I garuntee I'll never read it. )

I hope any of this helps...I wish I could have been more useful.

Posts: 3567 | Registered: May 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Jules
Member # 1658

- posted      Profile for Jules   Email Jules         Edit/Delete Post 
Tom Lehrer did a wonderful song about the changes introduced by "Vatican 2" entitled "Vatican Rag". Includes the wonderful line "2 4 6 8 - time to transsubstantiate."

Well worth seeking out, for anyone who hasn't heard it.

Posts: 626 | Registered: Jun 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
kinglear
Member # 1932

- posted      Profile for kinglear   Email kinglear         Edit/Delete Post 
Much thanks to all.

Christine you were an incredible help! thanks!

-jon-

Posts: 35 | Registered: Feb 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Kickle
Member # 1934

- posted      Profile for Kickle   Email Kickle         Edit/Delete Post 
There is a web site,The Catholic Encyclopedia, it is very detailed and has a section on how the naming of the pope has changed over history. Also the Vatican site is a help.
What you want to remember, which I found out on this site with my hook, is that readers use modern naming as their frame of reference and you need to justify your choice if you use a creative technique.

Posts: 397 | Registered: Mar 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.